PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone had an exact figure on the total cost of attendance that PCOM-Ga states for FAFSA/Federal Aide purpose. I am trying to sort through this whole financing med school thing and could not find that figure on the paperwork I have received thus far. Kind of worried in getting GRAD PLUS loans (which I need) because of some credit problems on my credit report that may or may nor be settled by the time I need to get these thing in order. If anyone has been through the GRAD Plus appication and has any advice to help let me know.

Also, what is the class schedule for M1 and M2 years at PCOM. I know every school takes the same basic courses but I was wondering the typcial scdedule for the day for an M1 student at PCOM-Ga

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just had the interview today, thought I did pretty well....anyone know how many spots are left currently? Excited and if I got in, would be a no-brainer but don't want to get my hopes up

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone had an exact figure on the total cost of attendance that PCOM-Ga states for FAFSA/Federal Aide purpose. I am trying to sort through this whole financing med school thing and could not find that figure on the paperwork I have received thus far. Kind of worried in getting GRAD PLUS loans (which I need) because of some credit problems on my credit report that may or may nor be settled by the time I need to get these thing in order. If anyone has been through the GRAD Plus appication and has any advice to help let me know.

Also, what is the class schedule for M1 and M2 years at PCOM. I know every school takes the same basic courses but I was wondering the typcial scdedule for the day for an M1 student at PCOM-Ga

I dont wanna look the exact number now, but it is right at 37k per year. grad plus was a breeze. borrowed full stafford (40k) and filled out an app for grad plus and that was it. dont think you should have too much trouble. banks like to lend to med students cuz they know they will get paid back. here is our schedule from first term.

Attachments

• Schedule M1T1 2008-2009.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 402
Members don't see this ad :)
bet you did fine, hope the wait isnt too stressful. glad you had a good time

Thanks! That schedule looks like a great integrative approach. Real Excited about the fall!

I dont wanna look the exact number now, but it is right at 37k per year. grad plus was a breeze. borrowed full stafford (40k) and filled out an app for grad plus and that was it. dont think you should have too much trouble. banks like to lend to med students cuz they know they will get paid back. here is our schedule from first term.

Thanks for uploading the schedule. Now I'm getting really excited.
Did anyone receive the packet (binder) yet? I know someone mentioned that it was being sent out.

No I have not received a binder yet. I hope to soon to get all this info together.

I called again today....binders will be sent out "within a week or two." Hopefully it'll be closer to one week than two.

So I need some help

I called about two weeks ago and Buffie told me I was done being reviewed, but would not tell me the vredict. So I 've been waiting to hear the good or bad news. (about an interview)

How do you get interview notices and does this mean that I have no shot? Its okay, you dont have to be gentle I can take any sort of news!

Hey wackyfizzle,

I've been waiting since I was complete in the Fall for an interview. I have not heard back, and I don't think I will get one. I spoke with Trena at PCOM GA and an admission lady at PCOM philly last week, and both of them told me they're still sending out invites for April. I don't know, it seems like people who were complete in January are the ones receiving the invites. I've applied to the certificate program at Georgia and hopefully I can get into the medical school through the program. If anyone has any info about the certificate program, please let me know. I would like to know how many students from the program actually get into medical school there. Also, what kind of grades do you need to make?

Thanks

I am no expert on the program,but I did happen to have three or so students in my interview cycle that did do the program that I was able to speak to. What those students and Buffie said as well as my tour guide (who had done the program) was that if you maintain a 3.5 for the first year in the program you are at least guaranteed an interview in the next year's application cycle. In addition, a certain number of spots (whether stated or unstated) are kind of held for the biomed students with these grades each year. From what I hear it is a great program. The same professors who teach the biomed classes teach the DO core classes and therefore you have certain level of exposure to their methods and coursework with a bit of overlap between the program, which would certainly help the transition into M1. Hope that helps a little bit. I would certainly consider the program should you happen to not be accepted this cycle. It is still about halfway through from what I understand so keep your head up and good luck!

Hey guys,
So I just called today after having a great interview on the 2nd of February. They told me that there are hardly any spots left in the class of 2013 and that I should call back Friday. They said they will already start filling the wait-list next week. Any one else heard the same news? Does any one have any idea how many spots are left for the class of 2013?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
So I just called today after having a great interview on the 2nd of February. They told me that there are hardly any spots left in the class of 2013 and that I should call back Friday. They said they will already start filling the wait-list next week. Any one else heard the same news? Does any one have any idea how many spots are left for the class of 2013?
:confused:

No way. There are only about 20 people in the FB group, and folks have interviews scheduled into April...

Wow...I find that hard to believe. When I interviewed on Jan 20 (it think it was) they told me not only were they only half way through the interview cycle but also that they still had only filled about 42 of the class spots at that time. I would find it hard to believe such a drastic change occurred so quickly.

That's what I was told today, they told me to call back Friday and they would have a better picture of what's going on. I made the same comment that they are planning on interviewing through April but she said that those interviewees would most likely fill the wait-list. And as far as the facebook group, I wouldn't completely trust that as an accurate count to the number of accepted students. That's interesting that in January they let on as to only having half the class filled. I'll let ya'll know what I find out on Friday.

That's what I was told today, they told me to call back Friday and they would have a better picture of what's going on. I made the same comment that they are planning on interviewing through April but she said that those interviewees would most likely fill the wait-list. And as far as the facebook group, I wouldn't completely trust that as an accurate count to the number of accepted students. That's interesting that in January they let on as to only having half the class filled. I'll let ya'll know what I find out on Friday.
I just received and interview invite and I was surprised to get an interview this late in the game from them. I was already planning on attending another school. I have to be honest though, I was definately considering going to the interview. But if they are only interviewing for waitlist spots than what is the point? Keep us updated because I will be interested as to what is going on.

I just received and interview invite and I was surprised to get an interview this late in the game from them. I was already planning on attending another school. I have to be honest though, I was definately considering going to the interview. But if they are only interviewing for waitlist spots than what is the point? Keep us updated because I will be interested as to what is going on.

I just received an interview invite as well. Hope it's not just for the wait-list spots. I'm looking forward to it and hope that it goes well. Ga-PCOM is my first choice. I will keep looking on here to see if the wait-list rumor is true.

to the people who just received interview emails, can you tell me when you guys were complete? I'm still waiting to hear back.. I hope it's not too late..

to the people who just received interview emails, can you tell me when you guys were complete? I'm still waiting to hear back.. I hope it's not too late..

My application was complete end of January.

Thanks for the reply to my question about the certificate program. However, I am a little confused about the timeline. So if I start the program this August, I would have to wait until the end of Spring in 2010 to hear about an interview when the school year's grades come out? And if granted admission into the medical school through the program, is it for the matriculating class in 2010? If someone could please clarify that for me, I would really appreciate it. Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that they have trimesters, so if you maintain a 3.5 by the end of the first trimester, can you get an interview?

I posted this question in the Class of 2013 thread, but this thread seems more active, so I also want to ask it here...

What does everyone wear to class and labs? It seemed that most students were in jeans and collared shirts when I interviewed, and some were in business casual (e.g. khaki's, etc). I heard that shorts and T-shirts were needed for OMM lab, but what about anatomy lab? Do y'all wear scrubs for that. I would guess that there is a danger of ruining clothes in the cadaver lab...

does anyone have an exact number on the Cost of Attendance for PCOM-Ga. Not just tuition and fees...but the number for COA that includes like housing, transportation, etc. for federal grad plus loan purposes.

I'm still waiting too. My app was pretty late, so I've been complete maybe a week or two. We'll see.

does anyone have an exact number on the Cost of Attendance for PCOM-Ga. Not just tuition and fees...but the number for COA that includes like housing, transportation, etc. for federal grad plus loan purposes.

I am wondering the same thing so I can budget for housing. I received my packet yesterday but it was more general Financial Aid info, nothing real specific.

Hey...I just got my interview invite today too! Congrats! Has anyone heard whether or not the class is indeed full and these invites are more than likely for waitlist? Either way, I am excited to get an interview :)

Hey...I just got my interview invite today too! Congrats! Has anyone heard whether or not the class is indeed full and these invites are more than likely for waitlist? Either way, I am excited to get an interview :)

Haven't heard yet, but for those of us who interview this week...I did call and they confirmed that the committee met yesterday, so news should be going out next week. Will try to confirm the waitlist rumors in a week or two.

I know for a fact that they are not just interviewing for the waitlist, at this point, and also, the committee did meet yesterday, and letters are supposed to go out tomorrow.

I know for a fact that they are not just interviewing for the waitlist, at this point, and also, the committee did meet yesterday, and letters are supposed to go out tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. Nice to know that the secretary told me correctly on the phone.

That's good news, because I also recently got an invitation. I'm slightly worried though about interview being so late. Also, I didn't have a great MCAT score, but I know that's not the only area of focus. I suddenly realized though how stupid I was with one aspect of my application, the letters of rec. I only sent in one, the one from my pre-med committee, because they said that's all that was required. I am wishing I had sent in more though...:confused:

I'm still waiting too. My app was pretty late, so I've been complete maybe a week or two. We'll see.

Wow, you said you completed couple weeks ago and you already received an interview invite? that's surprising...I'm getting really nervous now cuz i've been complete for a while now..anyone has any feedback?:xf:

Wow, you said you completed couple weeks ago and you already received an interview invite? that's surprising...I'm getting really nervous now cuz i've been complete for a while now..anyone has any feedback?:xf:

I was pretty flabbergasted by the speed of the whole thing, too.

It is possible that your file got lost in the shuffle. I'd suggest that you call Buffie. Or e-mail is probably better. Do both, and if she bitches at you, tell her I told you to do it.

It is also possible that they have opted not to interview you just yet.

Either way, I'd get in contact and make sure they've got all your materials.

I was complete on january 12th, got their mail saying they have all my documents postmarked Jan12... Still haven't heard from them regarding possible interview... what should I do?:confused:

Anybody know anything about Century Pointe at Suwanee Station? I think some students currently live there.

For the 17th?

How long does it take after your interview to find out about acceptance/denial/wait list? Just wondering how long to expect to wait.
:scared:

I heard after a month, but that was back in Nov.

I heard after a month, but that was back in Nov.

Do you remember what time they let you go? I have a flight at ~6:30. I'm going to KCUMB the day after this interview.

Do you remember what time they let you go? I have a flight at ~6:30. I'm going to KCUMB the day after this interview.

My interview time was set at 3pm, but I actually interviewed at 2pm. The tour didn't last long and the interviewers were ready to go home I imagine. You should def make it out in time for your flight. But always remember, it is atlanta.

has anybody received that binder that admissions said they would be sending out to accepted students who have paid the initial 250 for tuition pre-payment

has anybody received that binder that admissions said they would be sending out to accepted students who have paid the initial 250 for tuition pre-payment
I haven't seen anybody say they have received the binder. When I called a few weeks ago, they said it should arrive in a few weeks. Rumor is the new student brunch is March 21st (not confirmed).

So had an interview the 2nd of February and just now received a letter from PCOM in the mail today. They are "delaying their decision on my application for admission and will be reviewing my credentials from time to time." Is this another way of stating that I am on the wait-list? Kind of frustrating...

yeah, thats a waitlist letter. unfortunately, the end of the admissions cycle is practically here and i am pretty sure that many of the 90 or so slots have deposits paid towards them. they have been interviewing 20 or so people a week since the first week of october, so you have to expect most classes to be filling around now. but dont give up hope, i know several people in my class who got in off the waitlist...as other schools like mcg accept their last batch of students and the waitlist at other schools start moving, it just works better for some people to lose their deposit at ga-pcom and matriculate at a different school. in other news, 2 terms down, 1 to go!

Can anyone give me information about the Post Bacc biomedical program in GA...

I applied and upon acceptance I'm wondering if it is the way to go. Also, if anyone knows how much it costs (ball park) that would be great

Don't know how much it costs, or much about the program, but some of the best students in our class were biomeds last year.