PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Its on now, biatches.

Why were these threads started last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because of reasons expressed in this thread, specifically this post.

he meant why is the create date for the thread from back in july 07, the same date as the 07-08 thread. i assume that the mod just changed the year in the title and is recycling the thread.

he meant why is the create date for the thread from back in july 07, the same date as the 07-08 thread. i assume that the mod just changed the year in the title and is recycling the thread.

Doh! Shows I shouldn't be lurking around in other class discussion threads, haha. I thought he meant why weren't they started earlier than last year because they are so darn convenient. :oops:

I sent in my app a while ago. Do I need to send that letter from the Dean or office of registrar saying I'm in good standing before I can be considered for an interview? My advisor told me she wouldn't be able to write it for atleast a couple months.

I sent in my app a while ago. Do I need to send that letter from the Dean or office of registrar saying I'm in good standing before I can be considered for an interview? My advisor told me she wouldn't be able to write it for atleast a couple months.

yes, you need to have everything in to the office (mcat scores, LORS from your dean, secondary app, etc ) before they will consider you for an interview. When in doubt, call the office and they can check your file to make sure you are complete.

yes, you need to have everything in to the office (mcat scores, LORS from your dean, secondary app, etc ) before they will consider you for an interview. When in doubt, call the office and they can check your file to make sure you are complete.
what is this about the letter form the dean? Is there somewhere that I can go on SDN to see what all is needed for each school not just secondaries? I had no clue that I needed to send in more stuff:) yikes

what is this about the letter form the dean? Is there somewhere that I can go on SDN to see what all is needed for each school not just secondaries? I had no clue that I needed to send in more stuff:) yikes

i think you only need a letter from the dean if you cant get a committee letter from your pre-med school.

i think you only need a letter from the dean if you cant get a committee letter from your pre-med school.

do most schools need this or just PCOM-GA

do most schools need this or just PCOM-GA

both PCOM's have that rule of needing either a committee letter or a letter from the dean at the school you got your undergrad from. I think that the requirement is specific to only these schools.

Anybody heard an update from this campus yet? All of my communication so far has been from the folks up in Philly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody heard an update from this campus yet? All of my communication so far has been from the folks up in Philly.

Same here! I got an interview invite from PCOM-PA last week, but I haven't heard anything at all from PCOM-GA! I called and I know I'm complete, just wondering what the status is...

Same here! I got an interview invite from PCOM-PA last week, but I haven't heard anything at all from PCOM-GA! I called and I know I'm complete, just wondering what the status is...

I wouldnt worry much at this point. They dont start interviewing folks until October. I know that I interviewed on like Oct 24th last year, and i didnt get the invite until like Oct 16th or something and I was one of the first groups. Expect between 4-5 people per interview day and i think they only interview once or twice a week. Just be on the lookout in your email inbox and check your junk mail every once in a while because i've heard of people getting interview invites filtered into their junk box's.

I guess im waiting to hear from the school too but if you go to the interview invite thread it looks like people have already started getting interviews.

Hello Ga-PCOM applicants! I was just wondering if anyone knew the statistics for applied/interviewed/accepted. I have an interview in 6 days and I AM PUMPED!!!!! Thanks for your help! If anyone has any suggestions for the interview, please tell me!

So I'm still waiting on my AACOMAS application to be verified (submitted 9/12) but I have my secondary ready to send in once it is. I know I didn't get an early start on applying, but I don't think I'm too late either. What do you all think about my timing, anyone else in the same boat?

similar boat....submitted in august (8/20) but had some snafu's with aacomas that pushed my being "complete" till 9/10. Ignore the "if your not done by june your too late" stuff. I also have my secondaries ready to go and I think that next year we will both look back and say "see....told you so"

I also spoke with the PCOM's (both) admissions office and they repeated the same as above, the interview season stretches months in to 2009, so dont worry.

IamAriDO

My fellow MS1's and I have what is supposed to be our hardest exam of the term on Monday, so to anyone interviewing then, don't hold it against us if we are grumpy.

Do you know if you need a letter from your Dean if you are currently pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree? I graduated 5 years ago and no one knows me at my first school. My second school has a pre-med committee and they sent a letter on my behalf a few months ago. I will call tomorrow to find out. I hope they don't need it, I would hate to have my application delayed further.

Hey Everyone! I was curious to know from the current students at Ga-PCOM if they like the school. How are the classes? How are the clinical rotations? I'm am super pumped about my interview on Monday and really love the school, but some of the doctors I work with in the ER have me concerned about it being so new. Thanks for your help!

Hey Everyone! I was curious to know from the current students at Ga-PCOM if they like the school. How are the classes? How are the clinical rotations? I'm am super pumped about my interview on Monday and really love the school, but some of the doctors I work with in the ER have me concerned about it being so new. Thanks for your help!

check your PM's. In short, dont worry about it being new, the rotation sites are established and numerous, and the school has been awesome so far.

I got an email from PCOM titled "2nd Request-Response required" for interview. I never got the first one. They've already assigned an interview date for me. Anyone else got this? I've checked my spam mail and nothing was there from PCOM.

Last edited:
I got an email from PCOM titled "2nd Request-Response required" for interview. I never got the first one. They've already assigned an interview date for me. Anyone else got this? I've checked by spam mail and nothing was there from PCOM.

Weird. If it makes you feel any better, I was already assigned a date, too. Though it didn't say anything about a "second request."

Weird. If it makes you feel any better, I was already assigned a date, too. Though it didn't say anything about a "second request."

Definitely weird. I called and the lady on the phone said she sent out the first invite on Sept 16th. I haven't accepted the date she assigned me yet. I have UMDNJ invite tomorrow. I'm gonna see how that invite goes before I start scheduling more.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the school differences between the 2 PCOMs (PA and GA campuses)? I am applying to both.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback... or even a link to another thread addressing this topic would be great too. Thanks!

GA-PCOM:
In Georgia, in a suburb of Atlanta
80-ish students per class
Awesome softball team
Less than four years old

PCOM-Philly:
In Pennsylvania, in a suburb of Philly
200+ students per class
Softball team unknown
100+ years old

That's about all I've got. Just go to your interviews and check them both out.

I got an email from PCOM titled "2nd Request-Response required" for interview. I never got the first one. They've already assigned an interview date for me. Anyone else got this? I've checked my spam mail and nothing was there from PCOM.

andexterouss, when were you complete at GA-PCOM??

did anybody send their letters through interfolio? did you use the pcom-philly address already listed in their database? i've sent my letters twice over three months ago and they still don't have them (actually they can't even tell me whether they have them or not, but they haven't been entered yet). i'm so frustrated with this! everywhere else has worked fine.

did anybody send their letters through interfolio? did you use the pcom-philly address already listed in their database? i've sent my letters twice over three months ago and they still don't have them (actually they can't even tell me whether they have them or not, but they haven't been entered yet). i'm so frustrated with this! everywhere else has worked fine.

Lame.

I didn't use Interfolio, but I sent my letters for PCOM-GA to

Office of Admissions
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
4170 City Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19131

Lame.

I didn't use Interfolio, but I sent my letters for PCOM-GA to

Office of Admissions
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
4170 City Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19131

that's where mine went. i've been calling every week and they kept saying that was normal wait time. then yesterday they were like "that's way too long, you should send them again." i wasn't very happy at all.

TexasTriathlete,

I read all your posts last year while you were going through what I'm going through now.

I have an interview at pcom-GA next Tuesday, Oct 7th.

I would really appreciate any advice you can throw my way. I understand you have a big test Monday, so if I don't hear from you I'll assume that you just couldn't get back as this is short notice.

I'm specifically asking you because I have often found your posts helpful and honest.

If there are any other pcom-ga students or applicants that want to share advice I would also appreciate that.

I'm really looking forward to this - it's been 5 years in the making for me and I know this is a great school.

Thanks to the forum community for all the invaluable help!

Does anyone know how long it takes after the interview to know whether or not you've been accepted? I've got an interview tomorrow, and I am just curious about the turn around time. Thanks! Wish me luck! Ga-PCOM seems AMAZING!!!! :D

Does anyone know how long it takes after the interview to know whether or not you've been accepted? I've got an interview tomorrow, and I am just curious about the turn around time. Thanks! Wish me luck! Ga-PCOM seems AMAZING!!!! :D

Good luck FutureDR09!

It would be really great if you could write a quick summary tomorrow evening for me and the other interviewees invited for this week.

Again, good luck. I hope it goes really well for you, and I expect it will.

good luck tomorrow! if i get a chance in the morning, ill try and stop by and say hey. Turn around time will be about a month. They have meetings at the end of every month, so expect to get something in the mail around the end of 1st week of november.

TexasTriathlete,

I read all your posts last year while you were going through what I'm going through now.

I would really appreciate any advice you can throw my way. I understand you have a big test Monday, so if I don't hear from you I'll assume that you just couldn't get back as this is short notice.

I'm specifically asking you because I have often found your posts helpful and honest.

If there are any other pcom-ga students or applicants that want to share advice I would also appreciate that.

I'm really looking forward to this - it's been 5 years in the making for me and I know this is a great school.

well, im no TT, but I may can help. go into the interview knowing that they WILL ask you, why ga-pcom, and why osteopathic medicine. be careful to not create a script as to how you are going to respond to those questions, but just think about them and respond in a way that is conversational and relaxed. Be confident in the fact that if they are interviewing you this early in the cycle, then you stand out so and they are interested in you. dress sharp, be polite and friendly to everyone you meet, dont sound like an idiot and you should be alright. if you think of anything else you wanna know, ask. after our test gets out at 4 tomorrow, we will all be in much better moods and helpful :)

Haven't got a PCOM-GA secondary yet, but I'm a little concerned about the committee letter or dean's letter requirement. I've been out of undergrad for 10 years. Nobody knows me there. At my undergrad institution nearly everybody's moved on. My own advisor who knew me best did write me a very nice letter just before HE moved from chair of science dept to be assistant dean at a small college in RI (from Oregon).
Do you wise folks think there's any way around this? I do have a letter from the Assistant Director at my PA program who's known me for 10 years and was my PA advisor. Does anybody think this would suffice?
I've got real practical experience and a pretty good app and a reason to be in GA (my goddaughters and best friend are there) but if this is a deal-breaker I may not be able to pursue it. Bummer.
Thanks
Lisa

TexasTriathlete,

Okay, so you're probably in the building somewhere right now. I hope you are enjoying your experience. Sorry about the late response, but yeah, I was pretty much focused on the exam, and have not been looking at this site much, except on another board, to ask a question that pertained to my exam.

My classmate answered your question pretty well though.

As for my impressions of the school right now, I like it. My class is pretty strong, and we seem to be exceeding the expectations of the professors on our exams. We did very well on this last one, and I think they are going to hammer us on the next one, so I'm going to have to step up my game.

But my point is, my class is full of smart and motivated people. That has helped me raise my level of performance. And having been out of school for three years before this, I needed a kick in the ass like that to help me shake the rust off.

So you've seen the facility by the time you read this. I think it is pretty nice. They keep it clean, and the technology is solid.

We have access to a lot of textbooks and journals, both in our library, and with our online library. I use this quite a bit.

How your interview goes will depend a lot on who interviews you. So anyway, good luck. Hope to see you next year.

I had the interview today and overall I was impressed with the facilities, the students and the faculty. The atmosphere was both professional and relaxed simultaneously.

Two other students interviewed today as well and I had the pleasure of talking to them and posing several questions concerning their other interviews and undergraduate background. They will surely be accepted somewhere if not at PCOM-GA - good luck to you both if you read the forums.

Here are the best things I remember about the school:

*All lectures recorded for later review

*Non-mandatory attendance

*Two modern computer practice dummies. A male for basic life support, chest sounds, ekg practice; a female for obstetrics complete with fake baby inside rubber removable uterus (it was cooler than it sounds)

*Exercise facility in the building - and a nice one at that

*Everyone, every single person I talked to, was very nice

*Location is really great with cheap apartments within walking/biking distance. Downtown Atlanta is 20-25 minutes away.

*Anatomy lab was impressive

*Seemingly no danger of theft (laptops were unattended everywhere)

*Nice system for practicing patient interaction. Your interactions are recorded and critiqued for your reference and study with small cameras in the exams rooms.

*Very highly regarded OOM professor

*Very well liked anatomy professor

The interview itself was a little shorter than I like, but not rushed. The questions I remember were:

*What makes you laugh?

*What has been the hardest event/topic for you to deal with in your life?

*Specific questions about my background and travels

*Where do you see yourself in 10 and 15 years?

*What will you do when you start getting stressed and or behind in your coursework?

Both interviewers were very nice and it was relaxed for the most part. I wanted to have more time to go into the details of my life (I'm an older non-trad applicant). I was also prepared to answer why PCOM and why DO, but this was already in my secondary so I think that's why they didn't spend much time here.

I would honestly consider myself very fortunate to be accepted. I have a good feeling about this school, but I really could not tell at the end of my interview if they were ready to recommend me for acceptance.

Please post questions.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Work this week has been really crazy.

I was interviewed by Drs. Aduonum and Jenney.

Hey guys,
I've been complete at GA-PCOM for one month, yesterday. This is my top choice and I'm sooo anxious to hear back from them about an interview (hopefully...)!! When do you guys think I should call them or shoot them an e-mail? My goal was to wait until Friday if I didn't hear back, but should I wait longer?

So I had some issues with my lors and I have not received a secondary but I received PCOM -PA's secondary....is it the same for both??? and would it be ok if I just submitted my secondary then?

Does anyone know how often the admission committee meets each month to accept, reject or waitlist students?I'm trying to reschedule my interview (again).

Hey all. Just curious about Ga-PCOM. I interviewed there last week, but they didn't seem to give me very much information about the school. I received nothing about financing. How does most people pay for their schooling?? Specific loans, since I know that's the majority. Also, what is the estimated cost of attendance to Ga-PCOM? (Tuition + fees +all other costs) Thanks all! I really liked the school but I didn't receive very much info concerning this.

Does anyone know how often the admission committee meets each month to accept, reject or waitlist students?I'm trying to reschedule my interview (again).

yeah i think its on the last day of every month.

Hey all. Just curious about Ga-PCOM. I interviewed there last week, but they didn't seem to give me very much information about the school. I received nothing about financing. How does most people pay for their schooling?? Specific loans, since I know that's the majority. Also, what is the estimated cost of attendance to Ga-PCOM? (Tuition + fees +all other costs) Thanks all! I really liked the school but I didn't receive very much info concerning this.

I got my financial aid disbursemment letter in the mail today so you are in luck. To briefly answer your question about financial aid, youre gonna have to fill out fafsa and go through stafford loans unless you have a rich relative. The max for stafford loans per year is $40,500, so thats what you will get. $8,500 of that is subsidized and 32,000 of it is unsubsidized, so you will end up paying greater interest on the larger amount. Theres a fixed interest rate for these loans at 6.8%. Annual tuition, fees, etc comes out to be 36,500 or thereabouts, so your stafford loans will cover all that stuff, plus leave about 4000 extra for books, equipment, and other stuff. If you need monthly money to live on to pay for rent, car, food, etc, then you need to go for a federal grad plus loan. I think the max that you can borrow per school year is $21,000 for that, which is more than enough. Thats an 8.5% interest rate, so if you dont need 21k a year, only take what you need to prevent paying interest on money you dont use. Once you get accepted(hopefully), then you can start worrying about filling out all the logistics and filling out all the paperwork, but dont be timid, people have been doing this for a long time and it eventuall gets paid off. Of course another option would be to join the military and let the goveernment pay your tuition and give you a nice monthly allowance plus a 20 grand signing bonus, but thats another topic. If you have more specific questions, ask 'em. Who interviewed you by the way? I saw you guys but never got to say hi.

So I had some issues with my lors and I have not received a secondary but I received PCOM -PA's secondary....is it the same for both??? and would it be ok if I just submitted my secondary then?

it slightly different for the GA campus. Go here and download the supplemental app for the GA campus, fill it out, and send the sucker in. Wouldnt hurt to call the office and make sure they have received all your crap though.