PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2019-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With those stats you should be able to get accepted after just one year of the masters program as long as you score 50th percentile on the MCAT. Good luck!
Thank you! That’s what I’m hoping for!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For any current students or anyone with knowledge about this question, how stingent is PCOM with the guaranteed interview and conditional DO acceptance criteria? On their website, it said that you need a MCAT >50% and subsection scores >40%. I already emailed PCOM and they said that they are holistic, which seems the be their basic response. I fall into this predicament where my MCAT is >50%, but I have 2 subsections scores below 40% (really 1 subsection if they superscore). IDK if I want to commit to the program if I can't fulfill the MCAT requirement.

Reactions: 4 users
For any current students or anyone with knowledge about this question, how stingent is PCOM with the guaranteed interview and conditional DO acceptance criteria? On their website, it said that you need a MCAT >50% and subsection scores >40%. I already emailed PCOM and they said that they are holistic, which seems the be their basic response. I fall into this predicament where my MCAT is >50%, but I have 2 subsections scores below 40% (really 1 subsection if they superscore). IDK if I want to commit to the program if I can't fulfill the MCAT requirement.
I have the same problem where my overall score is over the 50th percentile but one of the subsections is a bit under 40th. I have tried asking them too but they haven't given a definite response :/

Reactions: 1 user
I took classes at a different college for a year that is different from my degree granting university. Does anyone know if PCOM will take both both the GPA's into consideration for the 3.2 MCAT waiver?

I took classes at a different college for a year that is different from my degree granting university. Does anyone know if PCOM will take both both the GPA's into consideration for the 3.2 MCAT waiver?
Not sure, I would email admissions and ask! Normally they respond within 24 hours, at least that’s been my experience with the GA campus

How long does it take their financial aide office to receive the loan counseling and promissory note? It's been about 10 days and those two items are still showing up as incomplete in my checklist.

Just got accepted to Philly campus! 3.2 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA, 507 MCAT. Hopefully I can demolish the first year of the program and matriculate in to DO
Did you have to take the MCAT for admission to the program or have you just previously taken it?

I was accepted into the BMS program in GA with a very low MCAT & gpa. Are the requirements to matriculate into the DO program based only on those first year grades or your undergrad grades also? If I do exceptionally well in the program and on the MCAT will I even have a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into the BMS program in GA with a very low MCAT & gpa. Are the requirements to matriculate into the DO program based only on those first year grades or your undergrad grades also? If I do exceptionally well in the program and on the MCAT will I even have a chance?

If you have low stats then the two year option is the best bet if you want a conditional acceptance.

My advice would be to kill it grades wise and don't worry about the MCAT until next summer.

You need a 3.2 GPA in your first year with no withdrawals or failures and a 500 MCAT amongst other requirements. The complete list is here: Applying to the DO Program as a Biomedical Sciences Student | PCOM

If you have low stats then the two year option is the best bet if you want a conditional acceptance.

My advice would be to kill it grades wise and don't worry about the MCAT until next summer.

You need a 3.2 GPA in your first year with no withdrawals or failures and a 500 MCAT amongst other requirements. The complete list is here: Applying to the DO Program as a Biomedical Sciences Student | PCOM

Thank you so much I’m going to just push for it I think If I work my ass off I can get it

Thank you so much I’m going to just push for it I think If I work my ass off I can get it

Life is a grind. If you want it bad enough, it's gonna happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding aid, for the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan they give a max of 20,500--so does that mean that the Grad Plus Loan, if approved, you get the diff between the 20,500 and cost of attendance 52,851? That's the maximum amount you can get? I'm just wondering if ~22k will be sufficient to live off of when tuition is 29,703.

Regarding aid, for the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan they give a max of 20,500--so does that mean that the Grad Plus Loan, if approved, you get the diff between the 20,500 and cost of attendance 52,851? That's the maximum amount you can get? I'm just wondering if ~22k will be sufficient to live off of when tuition is 29,703.
There is a budgeting sheet that covers all of the costs- should help out making that decision. It has categories for Rent, utilities, bills, transportation- also takes into consideration how much you are paying with the Stafford and the tuition.

There is a budgeting sheet that covers all of the costs- should help out making that decision. It has categories for Rent, utilities, bills, transportation- also takes into consideration how much you are paying with the Stafford and the tuition.
Where is that file located?

Just got acceptance to Philly campus! Talk to me about housing pleaseeeeee!

Hello everyone, just got accepted! Congrats to those who have gotten in thus, stay optimistic to those who are still awaiting on a response, and don’t give up on your dreams and passions to those who have been rejected. The grind is real, guys.

Anyhow, to those who have gotten in, are you guys still waiting on other programs to hear back from? Also, any plans for housing for you guys? Please feel free to PM me about anything. We’re all in this together!

Hello everyone, just got accepted! Congrats to those who have gotten in thus, stay optimistic to those who are still awaiting on a response, and don’t give up on your dreams and passions to those who have been rejected. The grind is real, guys.

Anyhow, to those who have gotten in, are you guys still waiting on other programs to hear back from? Also, any plans for housing for you guys? Please feel free to PM me about anything. We’re all in this together!

There’s a Facebook for the Georgia campus but I’m staying in Marietta. It’s 30 minutes away. I already lived here. People have been saying housing can be slightly expensive but just depends. The school has been amazing with information & communication. I’m excited.

Anyone else getting super stressed about taking out more student loans?

Anyone else getting super stressed about taking out more student loans?

The loan burden definitely weighs heavy on me, especially as an older student.

I don’t have loans from undergrad and my family is going to help with living expenses however I’m still looking at being 300k+ in the hole once I’m done.

There are many posters on SDN who feel that a medical degree isnt worth it. Some are even physicians themselves. But the only person who can make that choice is you. Yeah it’s a long expensive road, but so worth it (for me). This is all I’ve ever wanted so I’m going to make it happen.

Physicians make a good salary and honestly I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Try to focus on the big picture and less on the costs. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone speak on why they would recommend this program? How strong is the linkage?

Hey! I'm currently finishing the first year in their Biomed program, with original intentions of taking the 2nd year to obtain my Master's. I know about 10 (perhaps more) 1st and 2nd year Biomeds get into the DO program. Most, but not necessarily all, biomed students obtain an interview with the DO school. But furthermore, just wanted to make it clear that aside of stellar grades in undergraduate and/or or the biomed program, there can be issues with the interview. My advice is to kill it in the first year, and do well in the interview. PCOM offers a lot of help with advising for other schools and for its DO program. Similarly with all schools, advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Hope this helps!

If I have a 3.2 CGPA, strong letters of rec and really unique experiences, do I have a pretty good chance of getting an admission? Also would be a little late if I applied in like 2 weeks?

(First year Biomed at PCOM-PA) In my opinion, the chances of getting in despite getting closer to the deadline are relatively even. With that said, it is also dependent on how many seats there are available. After getting rejected at other post-bacs/master's programs, I decided to take a chance on PCOM's program in mid-July, and received acceptance 2 weeks before orientation!

(First year-Biomed here!) From seeing my peers get into the DO program after their 1st or 2nd year, PCOM is holistic. The guaranteed interview or conditional DO acceptance is still dependent on your interview. With that said, if an applicant were to do well in the program and have amazing grades, but didn't do well in the interview (as with many other schools), the likelihood of getting accepted decreases.

Did you have to take the MCAT for admission to the program or have you just previously taken it?

I got accepted with a GRE score. However, taking the MCAT ahead of time can be beneficial. The first year contains a lot of information (similar to the 1st year-DO students), and taking time to study for the MCAT can be quite challenging. This is my current situation; it's not fun and can be quite a lot to juggle if you were to have poor time management skills. However, it is possible!

(First year Biomed at PCOM-PA) In my opinion, the chances of getting in despite getting closer to the deadline are relatively even. With that said, it is also dependent on how many seats there are available. After getting rejected at other post-bacs/master's programs, I decided to take a chance on PCOM's program in mid-July, and received acceptance 2 weeks before orientation!
Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm taking my mcat in june so that I can send in a score.

Hey! I'm currently finishing the first year in their Biomed program, with original intentions of taking the 2nd year to obtain my Master's. I know about 10 (perhaps more) 1st and 2nd year Biomeds get into the DO program. Most, but not necessarily all, biomed students obtain an interview with the DO school. But furthermore, just wanted to make it clear that aside of stellar grades in undergraduate and/or or the biomed program, there can be issues with the interview. My advice is to kill it in the first year, and do well in the interview. PCOM offers a lot of help with advising for other schools and for its DO program. Similarly with all schools, advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Hope this helps!
Hi! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what do you mean by 'issues with the interview?' I realize that's their opportunity to see who's mature/genuinely interested in pursuing medicine for the right reasons--would that be what you mean? Also, how has it been taking the classes online so far?

Does any current student at the Philly campus have any inside information on if classes will be online in the fall?

Hey guys! Considering applying to the BioMed MS program for next year. By the time I apply though, I'll have Biochem left to take over summer before I'd (hopefully) matriculate into the program. Wondering if anyone applied with a course left, explained they'd be taking it and got accepted? I'd appreciate the input :)

Hey guys! Considering applying to the BioMed MS program for next year. By the time I apply though, I'll have Biochem left to take over summer before I'd (hopefully) matriculate into the program. Wondering if anyone applied with a course left, explained they'd be taking it and got accepted? I'd appreciate the input :)
There was a mistake with my transcript and they thought I still needed to take organic 1 with lab and they accepted me anyways but then on your portal it just says your acceptance is contingent upon passing that class and then you have to send in an updated transcript. So yes they would accept you still if you have classes left to take!

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm taking my mcat in june so that I can send in a score.

Unfortunately, I used the GRE to get accepted into the program, so I am unable to provide you with my scores as I anticipate to take the MCAT in June/July. However, I can tell you that there are individuals whom have had scores range from 498-515 within the program; some have chosen to retake the exam, some have not. Obviously, this is not to be considered certain since I do not know every individual's MCAT score.

Hi! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what do you mean by 'issues with the interview?' I realize that's their opportunity to see who's mature/genuinely interested in pursuing medicine for the right reasons--would that be what you mean? Also, how has it been taking the classes online so far?

That's exactly how I mean. So far, classes have been well. Given that we were able to learn how to study and prepare for the rigorous amount of material within the first 2 terms, this allowed us a less stressful transition. The transition, however, was not ideal, but the program is still quite doable. Professors really do their best to keep the students' engaged in the material, and are always open to questions via email or video-call. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys,
Could somebody tell me more about the conditional acceptance after the first year and how hard it is to get through after the interview?

Thank you :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone applied a while ago and not heard and is getting nervous?

Has anyone done the math on how much their cumulative science gpa will increase after completing the first semester and getting a 3.8 (for example, could be higher). The semester is 10 credits, would a 3.12 overall science be able to hit the 3.2 cutoff as indicated for conditional acceptance?

Has anyone done the math on how much their cumulative science gpa will increase after completing the first semester and getting a 3.8 (for example, could be higher). The semester is 10 credits, would a 3.12 overall science be able to hit the 3.2 cutoff as indicated for conditional acceptance?
Ive done the math because my gpa is very similar to that. It depends on how many credits you have taken as an undergrad, but based off my undergrad credits, a 3.8 for these 10 credits will increase to a 3.18. A 4.0 will increase to a 3.19. Either way, you just need a 3.0 for the interview. I think its best to just get a 4.0, get the guaranteed interview, and do well enough to get the acceptance from there. I think a 4.0 would prove enough you can handle a med school curriculum and if you can do well in the interview youd have a good chance

Do you guys think they will have classes on campus in the fall?