PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So today when I went to get the mail I found TWO envelopes from PCOM. They looked identical from the outside. And when I opened them...they were identical on the inside too...? 2 letters from dean of admission, exactly the same, with the supplemental application. Just thought I'd share in case anyone wants an extra :D

Feel lucky, they must REALLY want you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, here comes an absurd question...

Do you think that PCOM and GA-PCOM ADCOMs compare essays? Like, would it be wrong of me to use the same "what health care related experiences have you had?" essay for the two secondaries? Aka, will I get caught and have both secondaries thrown in the trash? :scared:

I'm just sick of writing essays already....but I don't want to endanger my chances at PCOM because I really like the school!

Alright, here comes an absurd question...

Do you think that PCOM and GA-PCOM ADCOMs compare essays? Like, would it be wrong of me to use the same "what health care related experiences have you had?" essay for the two secondaries? Aka, will I get caught and have both secondaries thrown in the trash? :scared:

I'm just sick of writing essays already....but I don't want to endanger my chances at PCOM because I really like the school!

i hope not. i don't see how that pretty straightforward question could even generate two completely different essays. i actually didn't even do mine in essay form, since my essay for the first question was a bit longer, i just listed my health care experiences with a description of what i did/what i learned, etc. i think you're okay. or at least, i hope you are! otherwise, i may be in trouble too. haha

Maybe if I just blitz them with LORs they'll see that like a committee. :p 3 science, 1 non-science and 3 doctors.

I think committee letters are the dumbest thing ever.
"Hi. We're going to look at your transcripts. Ask you some questions. Then make a complete judgement based on our 30 minutes together. Good luck"

I think committee letters are pretty good. When I met with my schools committee (its a small state school, not as big as a private university, but also bigger than a community college, kind of in the middle.) it consisted of maybe 8 or so professors, 3 of which I had at some point and 1 I had worked with pretty extensively.

I felt like it was a pretty good. Figure the 4 i didnt know would give honest opinions, the 4 i did know would have my back. Ultimately though i didn't see it i'm sure it was largely good.

What do you guys think of this idea? For the healthcare experiences I will put down shadowing, but do you think it'd be inappropriate to also state it was a PCOM grad? I don't know if the physician letter states this.

What do you guys think of this idea? For the healthcare experiences I will put down shadowing, but do you think it'd be inappropriate to also state it was a PCOM grad? I don't know if the physician letter states this.

Go for it. Shadowing an alumnus can't hurt. Maybe don't put a huge emphasis on it, just say "I spent 4 months with Dr. John Doe, a PCOM graduate, and...."

I think committee letters are pretty good. When I met with my schools committee (its a small state school, not as big as a private university, but also bigger than a community college, kind of in the middle.) it consisted of maybe 8 or so professors, 3 of which I had at some point and 1 I had worked with pretty extensively.

I felt like it was a pretty good. Figure the 4 i didnt know would give honest opinions, the 4 i did know would have my back. Ultimately though i didn't see it i'm sure it was largely good.

Yea, but that is saying the student is lucky enough to have had the person before hand. I graduated somewhere else and am now at a different uni. If they had committee letters I'd be screwed. I have had none of the people. I'd have to sit there and get grilled for 30 minutes and then they write a letter off of that? There is no way that is comparable to the hours I've spent talking to certain professors. I'm on a first name basis and daily communication with one of my professors from my previous school. I have faith that he knows me A LOT better than any committee interview does. Interviews are actually really crappy indicators. If I had the journal article I'd post it. It was about interviews and the med school process. Pretty famous research done in the 80s or early 90s I believe

If you look online for your undergrad website, under the office of the Dean of Students (that's where it usually is) you'll find a request for Dean Certification. It's the same thing as a Dean's letter (people need these letters for all sorts of things) and you'll probably be able to request one through the mail.

It's kind of a pain in the butt, no? I already graduated from college, clearly I was in good enough standing for them to give me a degree!

I'm also very curious where PCOM does rotations. Does anybody know offhand, or have a link to more info?

Here's a list of the affiliate hospitals where rotations are done: http://www.pcom.edu/Clinical_Education/Affiliate_Lists_/affiliate_lists_.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, that's a long list. Like, a really long list.

Thanks, though! Now I just need to figure out where these places are...

Most of them are in Eastern PA - I'd say 75% are within a 100 mile radius along the east. However I do see hospitals on there that are in central or western PA (i.e. Geisinger, UPMC, Beaver Hospital).

Question about PCOM's secondary essays -

For the first question - why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician - Should this be done all in one statement, or would it be appropriate to give two statements (two small essays - 1/2 page each)) addressing each question?

For the second question - What health care related experiences have you had? - Is a list of experience (with small descriptions) better than an essay?

Thanks for any info

For the first question - why you wish to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to become an osteopathic physician - Should this be done all in one statement, or would it be appropriate to give two statements (two small essays - 1/2 page each)) addressing each question?

For the second question - What health care related experiences have you had? - Is a list of experience (with small descriptions) better than an essay?

Thanks for any info

For the first question, I think you could easily integrate the answer to both questons in one essay. Since they are asking in one question, they probably want one complete essay. I would talk about why you want to be an osteopathic doc and how PCOM will help you get there.

As for the 2nd, I wouldn't do a list since I don't think it's appropriate for the secondary, however, you could write an integrative essay that outlines some very key experiences you've had. You don't need to re-write your activities section all over again, however, talking about significant experiences that have really shaped you would be more crucial to talk about.

Thanks for any info

I actually wound up calling PCOM in my confusion :laugh:. The person I spoke with said the supplemental application was completely up to you: no suggested lengths, no suggested breaks for essays, and either list or essay will fly for the second question. My response to question one is ~600 words. I had planned upon doing the second as a statement rather than as an essay merely due to the fact that the first question said to attach a brief statement while the second one did not... very subjective:scared:.

I feel my descriptions on my AACOMAS application are a good measure of what I did. I'm listing on the secondary application for #2. What did everyone do last year?

Also, is anyone attending the open house next week?

I feel my descriptions on my AACOMAS application are a good measure of what I did. I'm listing on the secondary application for #2. What did everyone do last year?

Also, is anyone attending the open house next week?

What kind of info do they generally give out at the open house? And do they take note if you've showed up?

I'm an east coaster, so I could in theory drive up there, but only if they're going to talk about PCOM. Their webpage says it's about the DO app process, but I think I've got that figured out...gas is too darn expensive for a lesson that!

I think its a campus tour, meet admissions people, and have a panel with medical students. I'm going to "network." :) And... my friend wants to go and will be applying next cycle.

I think its a campus tour, meet admissions people, and have a panel with medical students. I'm going to "network." :) And... my friend wants to go and will be applying next cycle.

Hmm, maybe I will go.

Um...what kind of attire do you think? Suit's gotta be overkill...aka I refuse to wear one when it's 90+ degrees outside.

Well, you have to call to register. There should be information on their website and also information about the day and what's going on. Also, weather says: its gonna be 90 and humid. When its humid in Philly its freaking humid. So I'm thinking slacks, a polo, and nice shoes.

SUMMER DO INFORMATION SESSIONS
PHILADELPHIA CAMPUS - EVANS HALL 1:00PM -3:00PM
JUNE 18TH
JULY 16TH
AUGUST 6TH
RSVP at [email protected] or 215-871-6700 at least one week prior to the program date you are planning to attend.
These information sessions will highlight the admissions process for the DO program. General literature for our graduate programs will be available to attendees.

The PDF I saw said that there would be a tour, panel, and admission meet and greet. So, you should call them before you drive up here.

Yeah, all the info I have is the stuff they posted on their website (what you posted above). Not quite as informative as I'd like. I'll call them tomorrow and ask what the details are.

Is it pretentious to hand deliver my application to PCOM? I'll be at their open house on Weds. and thought it'd be appropriate to save 42 cents on a stamp and also get a face to my name (which will be forgotten).

Is it pretentious to hand deliver my application to PCOM? I'll be at their open house on Weds. and thought it'd be appropriate to save 42 cents on a stamp and also get a face to my name (which will be forgotten).

Well, who are you planning on giving it to and how? The reason they probably have people mail it in or drop it off at the admissions office is because they probably have a system there of how to collate the apps...etc. If you are planning to swing by the admissions office and hand it to someone before you go to another part of Evans Hall for the actual open house, then I think it's fine. But if you planning on physically handing it over to the director of admissions, she may ask you to turn it in to the office anyways so she doesn't lose it or so that it can through the appropriate hands.

I had no intention of walking up to Deb and handing her the manilla envelope. :laugh: I'll be taking it to the admissions office in Evans. I just didn't want to appear over the top.

I had no intention of walking up to Deb and handing her the manilla envelope. :laugh: I'll be taking it to the admissions office in Evans. I just didn't want to appear over the top.

:p Sorry I didn't mean to assume but some people have asked some strange things on SDN so you just have to assume the worst!

I think there is nothing wrong with handing it in person! I hope you like the open house. Maybe we'll be classmates next year :D

Hey, I like the baller idea of rolling up and hand-delivering the app. But maybe that's just me...

Can you report back on any new/interesting info from the open house? I can't attend (life gets in the way, sadly) but I'm curious as to what they'll go over.

This is basically the 3rd I've been to, haha. I went to the AED conference at Jefferson and sat in on PCOM's presentation. Then I went to an open house. Now I'm going back. Oh well, it might be redundant but its time away from work and I'm taking a friend that is applying next year. I'll report back.

And yes, maybe we will be classmates next year! I know someone from my UG there now that's 2nd year and I have several friends there in the PA program.

I'm going to attend the 6 August session.

I'm not applying until next year.

if applying to both schools, we send all copies of our application/essays/LORs to the same philly address, right? but what about the app fee - is it just $50 or $100?
thanks!!

Hey everyone. I'm in the class of 2011 and started out right where you are. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to pm me. I would be more than willing to tell you about my experiences with PCOM and to help you however I can.

Best of luck during this crazy process. It will be over soon.

if applying to both schools, we send all copies of our application/essays/LORs to the same philly address, right? but what about the app fee - is it just $50 or $100?
thanks!!

i sent 2 separate checks for 50$ each. basically i sent 2 copies of the same application to the same address. i hope that made sense. i also hope that i was supposed to do this....

i sent 2 separate checks for 50$ each. basically i sent 2 copies of the same application to the same address. i hope that made sense. i also hope that i was supposed to do this....

thanks! cbear just confirmed that as well on the secondaries thread. would not have thought about splitting up the checks. did you also send two copies of LOR?

thanks! cbear just confirmed that as well on the secondaries thread. would not have thought about splitting up the checks. did you also send two copies of LOR?

VirtualEvals lists the two campuses separately, meaning they accept LORs separately. Send them both a copy. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'll be applying there this fall. Should be sending my app in by the end of the week. Glad the secondary is online already so I can go ahead and fill it out.

i sent two copies as well.
just got off the phone with both campuses. i guess they haven't even started looking at secondaries yet. she said they're working on getting everything into the computer and to call for a status check in a "week or two"

awesome thanks again Cbear and EvrybreathAGft!!!

Open house was informative, but nothing you couldn't learn from SDN. Tourguides were awesome. At the end they asked, anyone use studentdoctor.net? I said, "You have no idea." They talked about the interview feedback and students on here that are helpful. My tourguide said they want to see you're active in stuff and that you indeed are a "normal" person. No MCAT screens, unless you get a 4 or below on a subject. The MS2s that led us around they said they know where you apply, but we know this isn't true.

Funny story of the visit: Parking garage security is on their A-game. Parking was free for open-house guests, hurrah! However, I parked in a spot labeled "Van Parking" with my car. There were SUVs and minivans around me so I thought, well I can park here too then. When I left I had a citation, telling me if I kept this recurring my car would be towed and I'd have to pay for it back. So, don't park where you aren't supposed to! Lets hope I don't get asked at an interview (if I get one), "What is your license plate number?":smuggrin:

I was sold, but now I'm definitely sold on the school. Its going to be hard decisions to make.

Thanks, Bacchus!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go see an open house up there sometime. Maybe I'll just visit when I interview....hmm, I can dream, right?

I'm really jonesing to get into PCOM.

The stats really took me for a loop 3500ish applicants and only 275ish seats.

Does anyone have an inside scoop on how to enhance your odds? (or are a lot of the initial applicants not qualified?)

I'm really jonesing to get into PCOM.

The stats really took me for a loop 3500ish applicants and only 275ish seats.

Does anyone have an inside scoop on how to enhance your odds? (or are a lot of the initial applicants not qualified?)

I know that in state status counts for something. After that.....no clue.....

Why would you answer the exact same question differently, if asked twice? I think writing two different essays for the same question would be extremely stupid, and a waste of time.

I know that in state status counts for something. After that.....no clue.....

I live in state (in the western suburbs of Philly.)

I have a family member who graduated from PCOM, not sure how much that helps, but they do ask on the secondary form.

So here's some good news I thought I'd share...

The hospital where I work (or did work, until Tuesday) is the trauma center where military ER residents from Darnell (Killeen, TX) and BAMC (San Antonio) come to do their trauma stuff. We don't have an actual ER residency, but we get residents for about a month at a time from these places, and they come and go pretty steadily.

In the past six months or so, we've had two guys from PCOM. The first one is doing some green beret **** now, and is one of the best residents we've had in a long time (along with this girl from U of Florida that was here at the same time as him). This new guy we've got looks to be just as good. Maybe better. The attendings think he's fantastic (i.e., not a waste of space), and the nurses love him too.

So in my limited experience with PCOM grads, they are batting 1.000 in producing great docs.

So here's some good news I thought I'd share...

The hospital where I work (or did work, until Tuesday) is the trauma center where military ER residents from Darnell (Killeen, TX) and BAMC (San Antonio) come to do their trauma stuff. We don't have an actual ER residency, but we get residents for about a month at a time from these places, and they come and go pretty steadily.

In the past six months or so, we've had two guys from PCOM. The first one is doing some green beret **** now, and is one of the best residents we've had in a long time (along with this girl from U of Florida that was here at the same time as him). This new guy we've got looks to be just as good. Maybe better. The attendings think he's fantastic (i.e., not a waste of space), and the nurses love him too.

So in my limited experience with PCOM grads, they are batting 1.000 in producing great docs.
I hear this from a lot of people that have dealt with PCOM grads. So, its not just you. Overall everyone is extremely pleased with the physicians the school is graduating.