PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Philly said Interfolio was backed up and they assigned my DO letter to my advisor letter by accident since my advisor did not state he was an advisor in the letter. So I'm assuming I'm pushed back to the end of the pile....I sent her an email. Hopefully I can figure this out.
 
Has anyone from last week got their acceptance letter yet?

Also, what information do we get in the letters?

You get a very nice, well written letter. It tells you to send in 250 bucks to hold your seat. My acceptance was late October and I had until December 15th to send in the money. I did so.

Two weeks later I received another letter acknowledging receipt of the money; informing me that $2,000 more was due on or before April 15th, 2010 and requesting that original transcripts be sent to the school. The letter went on to say that a "binder" would be sent with further information after the first of the year.
 
Hi everyone,

Just sent my secondary application about 4 days ago. My MCAT score is a 23, but my overall GPA is a 3.51 and my science GPA is a little higher. I know that the average GA-PCOM score is about a 25 and that my MCAT score isn't that competitive, but is there anything I can do to help compensate for it?

Thanks and happy holidays

My MCAT was lower than yours and so was my GPA (not by much). PCOM GA looks at the whole person. An "average" of 25 means just that, an average - some are lower and some are higher.

Call Trena and see where you stand. Confirm that your application is complete.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my letter today.

It just contains a nice letter, info about the deposits, a new student enrollment form, and info on the technical and professional standards.

Congratulations! If you have decided to attend PCOM Ga, join your classmates on Facebook "PCOM GA Class of 2014."
 
My MCAT was lower than yours and so was my GPA (not by much). PCOM GA looks at the whole person. An "average" of 25 means just that, an average - some are lower and some are higher.

Call Trena and see where you stand. Confirm that your application is complete.

They did not look at the "whole person" at my interview. My MCAT was the deal breaker after the interviewer said "the rest of your application is outstanding." On a lighter note, PCOM-GA was not the right school for me, so everything does work out in the end as I believe that I have found the one that is.
 
You get a very nice, well written letter. It tells you to send in 250 bucks to hold your seat. My acceptance was late October and I had until December 15th to send in the money. I did so.

Two weeks later I received another letter acknowledging receipt of the money; informing me that $2,000 more was due on or before April 15th, 2010 and requesting that original transcripts be sent to the school. The letter went on to say that a "binder" would be sent with further information after the first of the year.

Did the rest of you who sent in your 250 already get the second letter? I sent it a while ago and while I called to confirm, I never received a second letter. Just curious.
 
They did not look at the "whole person" at my interview. My MCAT was the deal breaker after the interviewer said "the rest of your application is outstanding."

Same here. I got a 26 (B10, V10, P6) and I was told that I should retake the MCAT in January, or I would probably sit on the waitlist and not be considered by the adcom until after April 15
 
I contacted Trena about an interview. She said that I may get an interview, but she has been accepting scores that have an 8 minimum in each section of the MCAT. Has this been the case for anybody else?
 
I contacted Trena about an interview. She said that I may get an interview, but she has been accepting scores that have an 8 minimum in each section of the MCAT. Has this been the case for anybody else?

Damn, I made a 7 in verbal. Oh well
 
in the brochure they gave out during their "Meet the Dean" event, they said that they only accept a minimum of 8 in each section. I freaked out (BS 10, VR 11, PS 7) so I went over to Trena and asked her. She laughed and said no, I don't know why their brochure would say that and I understand your worry (because I was there) but Trena said it was not true. Besides, if their average is 25 and they required 8 or higher on every section that would be at least a 24. That means that they would have next to no students that made above a 26 on their MCAT, which isn't logical.
 
I contacted Trena about an interview. She said that I may get an interview, but she has been accepting scores that have an 8 minimum in each section of the MCAT. Has this been the case for anybody else?

It might be that they are getting pickier since the class is filling up. I had one section under 8 (PS: 6 VR: 11 BS: 8), but I also had a 25. Bottom line, as long as you show tremendous interest in the school (keeping in contact with Trena, submitting a letter of intent if you're not sure whether you'll receive an interview, etc) you should be fine
 
Alright... So I've convinced myself to take the MCAT again, but would like to score in the at least a 9 on each section so that my score can become a little more competitve. I only got a 23 the first time (BS9 PS8 VR6). Does anyone have any successful tips?

Thanks and Happy Holidays
 
Alright... So I've convinced myself to take the MCAT again, but would like to score in the at least a 9 on each section so that my score can become a little more competitve. I only got a 23 the first time (BS9 PS8 VR6). Does anyone have any successful tips?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Just do lots of practice probs for each section. Get yourself used to the timing... Do you think you've held on to most of the info since you took it last? The last thing you want is to lower your score.

If you think you can pick up where you left off, a little over a month should be enough time to raise your score 2-3 points...good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright... So I've convinced myself to take the MCAT again, but would like to score in the at least a 9 on each section so that my score can become a little more competitve. I only got a 23 the first time (BS9 PS8 VR6). Does anyone have any successful tips?

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Hey, if you have good ECs , i'll advise you to apply this cycle while you study for MCAT.My score wasn't that great but I have gotten a few interviews and admissions.
 
I keep hearing from multiple medical schools that this year has turned out to be much more competitive than in years past....Maybe that is why they are sticking with the minimum 8 in each section for now...It is still fairly early, so don't be discouraged just yet! If you are taking the MCAT again, best of luck! I personally will not be retaking it, I do not want the aggrevation of doing that all again!
 
I keep hearing from multiple medical schools that this year has turned out to be much more competitive than in years past....Maybe that is why they are sticking with the minimum 8 in each section for now...It is still fairly early, so don't be discouraged just yet! If you are taking the MCAT again, best of luck! I personally will not be retaking it, I do not want the aggrevation of doing that all again!


I got in with one score a 6 on the MCAT. As the cycle draws to a close the competion gets harder. I was told while interviewing that last year there were approx. 2,600 applications. This year the number will exceed 4,000 for the same 86 seats.
 
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the useful info that everyone has been giving me so far. I do how some common sense questions though: what does EC stand for and what is an adcom?

Thanks and have a happy but safe holiday
 
I got in with one score a 6 on the MCAT. As the cycle draws to a close the competion gets harder. I was told while interviewing that last year there were approx. 2,600 applications. This year the number will exceed 4,000 for the same 86 seats.

Maybe the sudden spike in applications is due to Ga-PCOM being fully accredited since they've graduated their first class. Even though most people on here say match lists mean nothing, some people may have seen Ga-PCOM's match list and suddenly became interested.
 
Maybe the sudden spike in applications is due to Ga-PCOM being fully accredited since they've graduated their first class. Even though most people on here say match lists mean nothing, some people may have seen Ga-PCOM's match list and suddenly became interested.

From what I have heard almost all schools are experiencing this spike in applications. I heard some specualtion that it was because more students are applying to professional schools because they can not find a job with their Bachelor's degrees.
 
Hope everyone is having a good holiday so far.

I had no idea that so many people were applying to GA-PCOM. I did all my volunteer work in a major hospital (Emory), and did most of my shadowing in clinic with an M.D. rather than a D.O. I've shown Trena that I really want to go to GA-PCOM, but with a 3.51 GPA, a 23 MCAT, no D.O. shadowing, and so much competition, I am at my wits end. Anyone have any stress reducing advice?

Thanks guys

Hopeful member of GA-PCOM class of 2014
 
Hope everyone is having a good holiday so far.

I had no idea that so many people were applying to GA-PCOM. I did all my volunteer work in a major hospital (Emory), and did most of my shadowing in clinic with an M.D. rather than a D.O. I've shown Trena that I really want to go to GA-PCOM, but with a 3.51 GPA, a 23 MCAT, no D.O. shadowing, and so much competition, I am at my wits end. Anyone have any stress reducing advice?

Thanks guys

Hopeful member of GA-PCOM class of 2014

Having been through the application process for multiple graduate/professional programs, the best advice that I can offer is to relax and realize that much of the application process if out of your control. Know that it's not over until it's over. There are great success stories of people with less than fantastic scores getting in and stories of people with great scores not getting in anywhere.

The application process is a waiting game. Don't let anything you see on SDN shake your confidence. You recognize what your weaknesses are, it is up to you to capitalize on your strengths in an interview. Think about sending some letters to Trena, Dr. E, and Dr. Evans detailing your interest. Also, maybe setup a meeting with someone from admissions to discuss your application and to take a tour of the building. I think this has helped many people in the past.

Overall, find something fun to do to distract yourself. The waiting during the application process can be torture if you spend all of your time thinking about it.

Good luck!!!
 
Hope everyone is having a good holiday so far.

I had no idea that so many people were applying to GA-PCOM. I did all my volunteer work in a major hospital (Emory), and did most of my shadowing in clinic with an M.D. rather than a D.O. I've shown Trena that I really want to go to GA-PCOM, but with a 3.51 GPA, a 23 MCAT, no D.O. shadowing, and so much competition, I am at my wits end. Anyone have any stress reducing advice?

Thanks guys

Hopeful member of GA-PCOM class of 2014

If you look back through this thread or search for my posts, you can see my story. I have the exact MCAT as you, a little bit higher GPA, DO shadowing along with other shadowing, great EC's and volunteer stuff, and I was told to raise my MCAT to a 25 at my PCOM-GA interview even though I was told the rest of my application looked "outstanding." There have been others with the same or lower MCAT to get accepted though. The later in the application cycle you get, the more competitive it gets.

On a lighter note, they do have a great relationship with Emory, so you may have an in there. I would ask around at Emory to see in anyone could help you out. You never know what can happen. I wish you much luck with your application!
 
Has anyone else from the December 14th interview group received any good news? I got an acceptance letter on Saturday and I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything?
 
Thanks! Yeah, I was so overtaken by relief/joy/excitement when I got the letter that my hands started shaking and I dropped everything I was holding. I really thought it was going to be bad news when I saw the envelope because I was hearing that other people were getting calls when they were accepted. So, for other SDNer's out there waiting for news, don't assume the worst when you see a letter.
 
Does anyone know how any seats are still available? How long does it take to process a secondary application? How long does it take to get an interview? How do you sign up for a campus tour?

So many questions, so little time

😕
 
Does anyone know how any seats are still available? No idea, Trena might be able to let you know how many acceptances have been given out but Im sure people are still holding multiple acceptances at this point. How long does it take to process a secondary application? No idea but again Trena might be able to let you know. How long does it take to get an interview? Im sure this isnt a set amount of time as it depends on what interviews they have scheduled. Again, your best bet is speaking with Trena. How do you sign up for a campus tour? This I know. Get in touch with Trena. In August I got in touch with Trena and let her know I am very interested in the school and was going to be in town for a wedding at the end of Sept. We set a time and she gave me a one-on-one tour hich ended with a nice sit down and chat at the end. She let me know they would start interviewing next month and then I got an interview invite less than a week later.

So many questions, so little time

😕

Its still the holidays...dont be so worried. After the new year send a nice, not neurotic email to Trena with all your questions and expressing your interest. Its all you can do at this point. Worrying wont do you any good.
 
Well I just got an email stating that my secondary just got processed. Now I'm just waiting for interview and hopefully a spot for fall of 2010. Is it normal to fell nervous?

😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I just got an email stating that my secondary just got processed. Now I'm just waiting for interview and hopefully a spot for fall of 2010. Is it normal to fell nervous?

😱

Of COURSE it's normal to feel so nervous, you've worked very hard the last few years to ensure you get into a school where you can fulfill your dreams of becoming a physician! I would be worried if you didn't feel that way. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do fine. And most importantly--Hang in there! :xf:
 
Well I just got an email stating that my secondary just got processed. Now I'm just waiting for interview and hopefully a spot for fall of 2010. Is it normal to fell nervous?

😱

Was this email the one giving you the login info to check all the status of required documents or another email?

I received the login email in early Dec and am complete but have heard nothing since. I even called Trena and she stated they had everything.....so the wait continues for the all elusive interview invitation....
 
Yep. The email gave me my login information to check my application and it appears that everything is in order. I really hope I'm part of GA PCOM class of 2014.
 
Yep. The email gave me my login information to check my application and it appears that everything is in order. I really hope I'm part of GA PCOM class of 2014.

That's all I have received and everything is marked as "received". Can someone comment as to what appears in the STATUS box if they have had an interview or been accepted? 😕
Thanks those of waiting really appreciate hearing from those who have "been there - done that".
 
That's all I have received and everything is marked as "received". Can someone comment as to what appears in the STATUS box if they have had an interview or been accepted? 😕
Thanks those of waiting really appreciate hearing from those who have "been there - done that".

I've been accepted and my status looks exactly the same. I've sent in my $250 deposit, but have not received confirmation that PA has received it.
 
Has anyone else got the start on their FAFSA for this year? Just a heads up, GA-PCOM doesnt have their own school code. A quick search of their website though and I found we use the same code as the philly campus.
just a heads up...concerned me a bit when I couldnt find my future school listed under GA schools.
 
For those of you that have already been accepted, what is your understanding of yrs 3 and 4 in terms of clerkship placement? Do they require to rotate around the state? or will you be allowed to choose locations?
 
I filled out the basic stuff. I still have to wait until February to get mine and my parent's tax stuff back...

Is it the same as undergrad? The earlier you finish, the better your financial aid?

Yeah, I cant finish mine now...I just havent done one in years and thought I would get it started to see what kind of info I need. Anyone have any idea if there is any benefit for adding parents info? I am married and on my own, but I have siblings in college and my mom is in a masters program. Not sure if it matters anyway as I will most likely be doing a military scholarship.


For those of you that have already been accepted, what is your understanding of yrs 3 and 4 in terms of clerkship placement? Do they require to rotate around the state? or will you be allowed to choose locations?

When you visit the school/interview you will be given a pamphlet with a list of preceptorships around GA and surrounding states. From what I am told there are several places where you can do all your rotations and not have to move around for the two years but you have the option to do so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I haven't gotten an interview call yet and its the 5th of January already. My file has been complete since December. Should I be worried at this time?

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone
 
For those of you that have already been accepted, what is your understanding of yrs 3 and 4 in terms of clerkship placement? Do they require to rotate around the state? or will you be allowed to choose locations?

Clerkship placements start with a lottary to determine the order in which you pick your locations. Most everyone gets their first or at least second choice. Locations are all over Georgia with additional locations in, Florida, Alabama and South Carolina. I'm told that West Palm Beach in quite popular. You could stay in metro Atlanta too.

Essentially, the first two years is in metro Atlanta and the last two clinical years the choices are many.

You may rotate to differant rotation sites, especially for rural medicine but generally you stay in one geographical area.
 
The paper i am looking at lists affiliated hospitals in 13 states: AL, FL, LA, MS, NC, SC, GA, TN, CA, MI, MO, OH, and IN (this is excluding military sites which gets rid of a few). Could we do our full 3rd and 4th yrs at these sites?

The answer is yes. I interviewed with Dr. Craver, the Assoc. Dean for Clinical Services. As this is his area of responsibility, I focused my questions to him on this very topic. Not only is the list covering several states, but you may go most anywhere to an approved teaching facility as he will do his best to accomodate you
 
The answer is yes. I interviewed with Dr. Craver, the Assoc. Dean for Clinical Services. As this is his area of responsibility, I focused my questions to him on this very topic. Not only is the list covering several states, but you may go most anywhere to an approved teaching facility as he will do his best to accomodate you

Thank you guys for your responses. My interview is scheduled for Feb. 1st. Looking at last yrs thread it seems as if this may be for the waitlist. Does anyone have any info regarding this? Hopefully, the class isn't full yet.