PCOM Stats Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey... This is for all of you that have already been accepted [/SIZE] to PCOM this year.. Ill be applying for incoming class of 2005.. I want to have an idea of what your MCAT/GPA was along with what you think got you into PCOM specifically...

I hope its not too personal.. I know each case is very different.. however, I would appreciate it.. just so I can get an idea...

PCOM is my top choice and I would be thrilled to join in 2005.. Please post with your stats... I just took my MCATs and am in the process of applying... So Im in major need of encouragement..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry that font.. was crazy.. i didnt mean to do that.. :D

I am not going to post my stats but I will say what secured my spot (I was accepted in mid Sept) was that I had 3 D.O. letters. 1 from a pgy-2 IM resident, 1 from an PCOM adjunct who is in charge of an AOA internship, and 1 from an asst. PD for IM residency. But of course none of those LORs would have ment crap if my undergraduate GPA was <3.0, MCAT was <20, my undergraduate LOR was not favorable, interview went poorly. I am also 28 years old, was in the NAVY, worked for a top Telecom company, and involved in research in that field, and a PA resident.

My advice is to take an inventory of life and present it in a coherent manner. If you need any further advice PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
RNtoDOC said:
sorry that font.. was crazy.. i didnt mean to do that.. :D

Pssst. You can "edit" that post and fix the font. :)

The info below is from PCOMs website.

Information sessions for the doctor of osteopathic medicine program will be held from 1 - 3 pm in Evans Hall on June 16 and 23; July 7, 14, 21 and 28 and August 4. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions at 800-999-6998.

I attended this last year. While it did not help me get an interview, when I did interview, the director of admissions recognized me and it probably showed my genuine interest for PCOM.

This was my third year applying to med schools (first time applying to PCOM). Although I had the pretty good grades/ MCAT, ECs, and letters, what I really think got me accepted was my genuine motivation and persistence to pursue medicine. When asked if I entered my MPH program as a back-up to medicine, I bluntly replied, "no, I completed the MPH in order to strengthen my background in healthcare so that I can be a more knowledgable physician." I think they respected my honesty.
As you learn more about osteopathic medical schools, you'll see that people apply with a wide range of grades/MCAT scores. Personal characteristics and experience are equally as important.
G'luck this cycle.

I'll post my stats, but, as we all know...it's not just about stats..and I know this is definitely true for PCOM..so i'll post some extra stuff I had that I think helped to make me look good :)

cumulative GPA: 3.93
science GPA: 4.0
psych (major) GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 28 (9 PS, 9 V, 10 BS)

I know people who got into PCOM with 24 and 23 on their MCATS and 3.5 and 3.4 GPA...

I also volunteered a lot (soup kitchen, hospital, colorectal cancer education, etc) and participated in a lot of things at my university (officer of honor societies, med careers club, psychology club), I shadowed a DO for a couple of months and she wrote me a LOR. When I interviewed, the interviewers asked ONE question about MCATS and it was 'how did you prepare?' I told her and she didn't want anything else..she said 'ok..that's all we want to know.' The rest of the interview was about me and PCOM and was mainly conversational. It's apparent that PCOM (like the other DO schools) look for those of us who are well-rounded, personable, and involved..don't worry as much about stats..build up your application! Hope I helped! :thumbup:

First and fore most I am a non-trditional student, I am old, maried, you get the picture. I graduated a few years ago and went to a post-bac program. AshDO is correct PCOM is looking for students with more than GPA/MACT.

GPA: 3.6 or so, don't really remember
MCAT: 28

What has set me apart is that I have been working as a Fire Fighter and Paramedic for almost 10 years. I have started one service and volunteer at another but that is only a small part of the picture. Remember to be yourself as well. In my interview we discussed the motorcycle club I helped to start. You are stll human and have intersts outside of medicine, I hope. If you are weak in one area play up another, even if it is not medical in origin. You are an entire person, good luck. :luck:

I had a good feeeling about PCOM from the first time I went to their website. I had an LOR from a PCOM Alum who has gotten everyone in who had a LOR from him.

My overall GPA on my app was a 3.35 (maybe 3.4?) and my MCATS were a 26, I did have alot of extra curriculars, but the stuff I did was fun and I never did it "just to get into school."

i had fun with my time before med school excpet for perhaps my two years at villanova. ugh.

oh yeah... my interview consisted of a DO, a admin and a 3yr. the third year asked me about going to karate. that was the ONLY question she asked. It was cute. They made a note that my science GPA was noticably lower than my non science (non science was pretty high), but i explained my situation pretty well and they understood.

PCOM definetly looked for the total person, i got the idea that the allo schools i applied to just wanted numbers to fill.