PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get through to PCOM and check application status, either on the phone or by email??

When I called, they said they can't comment and I just need to wait, my app. was complete on 10/18/01, they said I could hear from them anytime between now and april 02'....

What are some of the waits you all have experiences from PCOM from confirmation of completing of file, to interview or rejection??

Thanks for the info..

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there on 10/18... I believe they meet once a month to review applicants and accept/waitlist. My turnaround from completed application to interview was 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, should be hearing from them in <2 weeks. I think that would be a great birthday present for me..! :p

-A

Amra,

Is PCOM your first choice? It is one of mine, if not the top one.. Ofcourse I have to visit the school before I know for sure.

I believe you said you have done a lot of research on the programs and rotations. Do you have any insight into which schools, give the most clinical experience during the first 2 years of school, to prepare you for clinical clerkships?? I know that NOVA seems to dedicate a lot of time to this issue. I believe PCOM does too...
I think NOVA is every other week....

Thanks,

Mike..

THAT is my dilemma... I've been accepted to NOVA, COMP, and LECOM. I'm waiting to hear from PCOM... I'm looking at all three seriously.

My thoughts on their roations...

PCOM first and foremost offers 23 rotations opposed to 21 at NOVA and COMP. That is big! Additionally, PCOM offers 4 electives and 2 selectives - flexibility is power! PCOM's affiliations (although they do change every so often) are usually wh00p a$$. Everyone has heard of PCOM - name regonition is good. Finally, since residency slots tend to be "click-ish", PCOM has been putting out physicians for over 102 years (granted some are dead) - that means that you have a good chance of running into a PCOM graduate where you want to go.

NOVA is a little tighter with its rotations. One selective and 5 electives - although 3/5 must be in IM/FP or discpline. Additionally, you cannot do more than 2 electives same/similiar. That is good and bad. Good = wide variety of clerkships (see lots of medicine) Bad = you can get a leg up on residency spot by spending a lot of time in a facility. I'm really not sure what to say about their affiliations. They're with some nice size facilities - but being from Pennsylania, I'm unsure to the setup of each.

COMP actually has the most flexible rotation schedule (flexibility = power!). 3 selectives and 5 electives. You can do multiples if you want. Their affiliations seem great - Loma Linda, Arrowhead, USC. Only thing I am thinking of is 8-10 years (med school+residency+fellow) in Cali = permanent move for me. I'm going to be 30 soon, so there is no point in moving back to the east coast when I'm 40. If I were younger (not like I'm THAT old), I'd do that in a heartbeat. Now, I'm a little more cautious...

There is my situation overall. Any thoughts are welcome! :)

-A