Personal Advice Needed! (Update on my application etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalRose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I posted maybe a year and a half ago about applying to dental school. About me: I switched from pre-dental after my first semester of college and I graduated in English with about a 2.9 undergraduate GPA. I tried my hand at a semester of law school right after. I was naive at the time and applied aimlessly, and was EXTREMELY unhappy the entire time! I won't push a sad story online as we all have our problems, but I was dismissed academically even though I asked to withdraw due to my poor emotional health.

After maybe 6 months of serious thinking on my shortcomings, I got my act together. Over the past 2.5 -3 years (5 semesters including summer), here are my stats after taking more classes as a post-bac:

In Bio 1+2, Phys 1+2, Orgo 1+2, Chem 1+2, Cell Bio, Micro, and Anatomy I received all "A's."
I received an A- in Physiology.
Note: Bio 1 and Orgo 1 I was #1 in the class.. A+ in each but NIU doesn't use that grade scale.

My DAT: 20AA, 20Sciences, 21Bio, 19Orgo, 19Chem, 21PAT, 25 RC, 18QR

Undergraduate GPA: 3.3 (up .4 pts)
oGPA (because of my bad semester): 3.1
BCP: 3.75 (my first semester ever I got C's in bio/chem)

I'm not sure if anyone uses this, but my UTHSCSA score is 13.1

I have around 50 hours of pure shadowing at 2 different offices (ortho and GP)
I have 200+ hours as a paid dental assistant (still working there)
I have about 100 hours doing volunteer research at two different schools
20 misc. volunteer hours

I also started NIU's pre-dental club and was president for 2015-2016, now holding the position as primary contact (like an alumni advisor)

To stay a little sane, I picked up viola in the last year through school lessons

I understand that I was aimless when I was younger. I didn't have any ambition, and u thought life would work itself out like it always did for me. After realizing my mistakes... I just made sure to give it 100%. As proud as I am of the work that I've put in, can I get some advice from everyone on where to improve, what to avoid, and what my chances are?

I will say that I'm pursuing Dentistry no matter what. I'll take all advice, I simply won't listen to anyone asking me to change careers... Any and ALL suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what see you look like you're headed in the right direction with upward trends. Maybe add some more dental volunteering. Really I'm sure you can get many interviews with your stats and upward trend, just be sure of which schools you want to attend and apply to.

Avoid schools you don't see yourself attending. Also OOS state schools or schools with higher GPA/DAT requirements (Harvard) may be out of reach but that's not too many. With the right effort when doing your personal statement and secondaries you will land interviews at schools you want to go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's an uthscsa score?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what see you look like you're headed in the right direction with upward trends. Maybe add some more dental volunteering. Really I'm sure you can get many interviews with your stats and upward trend, just be sure of which schools you want to attend and apply to.

Avoid schools you don't see yourself attending. Also OOS state schools or schools with higher DAT requirements (Harvard) may be out of reach but that's not too maby. With the right effort when doing your personal statement and secondaries you will land interviews at schools you want to go to.
This is a really comforting reply - I'm definitely shaky about most things right now. I'll DEFINITELY look into nearyby offices now that my summer had calmed down...Thanks

What's an uthscsa score?

Yknow.. I just found it on a thread. It's something about a modified formula San Antonio uses and it involves your BCP, DAT, and overall GPA. Google doc toothaches UTHSCSA formula and I think something should pop up on SDN!

Your undergrad is really low. If you had "emotional issues," the onus was on you to take responsibility and possibly take a semester or two off.

I worked extremely hard in undergrad--even with my emotional issues. If you feel really confident, I would try for a higher DAT score. I believe your DAT score is fine but not in conjunction with your grades. Apply broadly.

Your undergrad is really low. If you had "emotional issues," the onus was on you to take responsibility and possibly take a semester or two off.

I worked extremely hard in undergrad--even with my emotional issues. If you feel really confident, I would try for a higher DAT score. I believe your DAT score is fine but not in conjunction with your grades. Apply broadly.
I appreciate your bluntness. I must add that by "emotional health" I mean specifically I was very unhappy at law school.

Also.. Do you mean undergrad, or overall? Or both??

However... I'll retake the DAT.. That's a great idea... I'll shoot for +20 in January while anticipating a second cycle... Thank you. Also - great GPAs, I'm really impressed. :)

Anyone else? I genuinely feel personal opinions in summation on SDN are valuable...

Last edited:
Are you applying this cycle?

Yes.. I just took the DAT two days ago and I plan on finishing up my personal statement / secondaries ASAP. Why do you ask??

If you're applying this cycle, then I wouldn't retake it unless you don't get any interviews by January. If you don't hear back from any school then it is a good idea.

However from personal experience, my scores and gpa are similar to yours and I recieved multiple interviews as well as multiple acceptances. Low undergrad does not mean much (unless it's like Harvard) as long as you have a strong upward trend. Write a killer personal statement, send in your app as soon as possible (don't rush too much and make mistakes), and focus hard on the secondaries. I think you'll be fine. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you're applying this cycle, then I wouldn't retake it unless you don't get any interviews by January. If you don't hear back from any school then it is a good idea.

However from personal experience, my scores and gpa are similar to yours and I recieved multiple interviews as well as multiple acceptances. Write a killer personal statement, send in your app as soon as possible (don't rush too much and make mistakes, and focus hard on the secondaries. I think you'll be fine. :)
Word for word what I'm going to do right now. Didn't even think of waiting till that point, so I'm gonna do just that... Thanks again for the insight. Helpful AND encouraging :headphone:.

You're scaring me, man! :oops: Haha thanks for checking in, though... Anyone else???
Just get everything in as soon as you can but take your time with the secondaries. You have a lot going for you, make sure you take advantage of it. Didn't mean to scare you :) How many schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about retaking the DAT — focus on the upcoming application cycle and figure out what you need to do based on the results. Your score is not a negative addition to your upward trend, though SDN can sometimes imply otherwise. People on here get into Harvard with a 21AA.

Most importantly, remember that the past is the past. You had an unimpressive undergrad transcript, but you worked hard to get where you are now. Apply broadly and give yourself some credit. Best of luck!

Don't worry about retaking the DAT — focus on the upcoming application cycle and figure out what you need to do based on the results. Your score is not a negative addition to your upward trend, though SDN can sometimes imply otherwise. People on here get into Harvard with a 21AA.

Most importantly, remember that the past is the past. You had an unimpressive undergrad transcript, but you worked hard to get where you are now. Apply broadly and give yourself some credit. Best of luck!

I'll take that advice.. I'll make my moves after this first cycle if it doesn't go well.

To the poster above this - I'll post my schools by the end of the week.

Thank you everyone!

You can deff get some interviews with your stats if you apply broadly, and if you interview well, which you prob do based on having gotten into law school, then you're golden, they will prob ask why you think dent is a good fit after leaving law though so have a good answer, on another note, I always wondered about law school, many people told me to consider it, but I just couldn't see myself as a lawyer and am very happy having chosen dentistry, but I have to ask what was law school like if you don't mind my curiosity, no need to share if you don't want to though, best of luck, cheers :D
Not at all! I've found through prepping for potential interviews that this topic has become very open for me!!!

Every day was roughly the same procedure! For 3 of the core classes you'd be assigned 1-2 cases to read before class and then you'd discuss them - contracts, property, and torts (think self-defense, or injuries to yourself from others as an example). There were two side courses that wouldn't interest you as much (writing and an intro law type course). The cases were pretty dry! They were just really old rulings that might be used today that you'd eventually use as a legal defense. The idea was to see how these laws came to be and the reason certain rulings came out the way they did. Then, as efficiency has it, future cases can be ruled much easier!

Personally, I couldn't connect with the material. As an English major I leaned towards more the creative side. The best case I ever read was about a dog who bit someone and the owner didn't want to be held liable because he had a "beware of dog" sign. More importantly, I couldn't imagine the life of a lawyer or having to pull strings for a regular paycheck. Last food for thought - each class was graded by one test taken at the end of the semester! However, a friend of mine is in Vanderbilt law and is genuinely made for this lifestyle and environment. To each their own! :) :)

Curious: Why weren't you happy in law school? It's a respectable profession.

And correct me if I'm wrong but it seems law school is easier to get into in terms of GPA?

Not at all! I've found through prepping for potential interviews that this topic has become very open for me!!!

Every day was roughly the same procedure! For 3 of the core classes you'd be assigned 1-2 cases to read before class and then you'd discuss them - contracts, property, and torts (think self-defense, or injuries to yourself from others as an example). There were two side courses that wouldn't interest you as much (writing and an intro law type course). The cases were pretty dry! They were just really old rulings that might be used today that you'd eventually use as a legal defense. The idea was to see how these laws came to be and the reason certain rulings came out the way they did. Then, as efficiency has it, future cases can be ruled much easier!

Personally, I couldn't connect with the material. As an English major I leaned towards more the creative side. The best case I ever read was about a dog who bit someone and the owner didn't want to be held liable because he had a "beware of dog" sign. More importantly, I couldn't imagine the life of a lawyer or having to pull strings for a regular paycheck. Last food for thought - each class was graded by one test taken at the end of the semester! However, a friend of mine is in Vanderbilt law and is genuinely made for this lifestyle and environment. To each their own! :) :)

Oh I understand, I have a few friends in law. They said its dulling hours of paperwork and reading cases. Sometimes you don't even like the side you have to work for. Dentistry is definitely very different and it sounds like you would find more happiness in it. Being a dentist I feel like you can help a lot of people but in law it looks like you don't always get to help people the way you want to.

Curious: Why weren't you happy in law school? It's a respectable profession.

And correct me if I'm wrong but it seems law school is easier to get into in terms of GPA?

Respectable does not mean it is the correct career choice. Every person should do what makes them happy regardless of "prestige" since they will be more successful and be more fulfilled. Unless all you expect out of life is "prestige and reputation".

Last edited:
Oh I understand, I have a few friends in law. They said its dulling hours of paperwork and reading cases. Sometimes you don't even like the side you have to work for. Dentistry is definitely very different and it sounds like you would find more happiness in it. Being a dentist I feel like you can help a lot of people but in law it looks like you don't always get to help people the way you want to.

Respectable does not mean it is the correct career choice. Every person should do what makes them happy regardless of "prestige" since they will be more successful and be more fulfilled. Unless all you expect out of life is "prestige and reputation".

Regardless? Wrong. There are people that base their happiness on the value of prestige itself. It obviously depends on the person.

Regardless? Wrong. There are people that base their happiness on the value of prestige itself. It obviously depends on the person.

Yep, which if you read I said "unless all you expect out of life is prestige" which I don't think op does.

Yep, which if you read I said "unless all you expect out of life is prestige" which I don't think op does.

Yeah, implying as if prestige doesn't bring some people a genuine sense of happiness. The reality is it does.

Yeah, implying as if prestige doesn't bring some people a genuine sense of happiness. The reality is it does.
Sure if that's what you thought. I actually didn't imply anything.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, you actually have quite a competitive application.
Your DAT is fine, I wouldn't worry about a retake. Your 25RC is awesome and will definitely get some attention. Your TS is up there with matriculation average. And of course, your upward trend is fantastic. Your GPA is fine too. I would not be surprised if people in admissions read your PS and think, "thank goodness she got out of law school when she did, I would be miserable as an attorney."
You found something you REALLY wanted, and you went for it.

Don't listen to the negativity. Go ahead and apply. I truly think you will get a number of interviews, and at least one acceptance (which is all you need).

Good luck!