PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pharmcas would be worth the cost to me simply for making recommendations easier. When you hand someone four forms, they are going to be slower about it than if you just sent them to a website to do only one.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still wondering if I app'd early to Pharmcas -- at least, if I would be considered as early. Anyhow, I submitted my application and everything last Friday to pharmcas. I have to give it to PharmCAS because they had my GPA calculated and posted today -- and it's not even a week later! I'm not sure why others have to wait 3-4 weeks or whatever the case may be.

Anyway, a few questions. First my GPA was calculated as follows:

3.49 overall science
3.55 overall non science
3.9 overall math
3.59 overall total

Then at the bottom it shows all the science courses and gives me another science GPA which comes in at 3.69. So which GPA do the schools look at?

Oh, and yes, Pcat Oct 20th, but I haven't seen organic yet -- ohhhhh jeez pray for me!

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks Farmercyst... I emailed my professor (I had him for a class last semester). He wants me to wait until the end of the semester before he'll agree to write the letter of recommendation. He wants me to have an A or A- in my pharmacology class (which I'm well on track to do - I have a 102 in there currently) and make a good grade on my paper. Now I'm getting antsy that that will be too late since Creighton's preferred deadline is dec 1, and my semester isn't over until 12/13.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, no Texas school accepts applications through Pharmcas. :(

I wonder if it was something decided state wide... or if it is a coincidence that all of them do not accept PharmCAS... :idea:

once you e-submitt your application. how long it takes pharmcas to send out your app?

once you e-submitt your application. how long it takes pharmcas to send out your app?

Well assuming you've already turned in your transcripts, LORs, and paid all fees, they will probably process your application within a week or so, and then send it out. If you haven't turned in your transcripts for GPA verification, then you have to wait until they receive the transcripts and do the GPA verification.

It depends on there mail out dates, and if you have everything sent it. Mine took 2 weeks after I e-submitted and I had everything in.

I'm going to get my CPR certification renewed but not in time for e-submission to Pharmcas before Nov. 1. Should I even bother putting down my 1 year certification by the American Red Cross like 2 years ago? Is that really lame? Right now, I'm learning towards not putting it down since it's expired but I was certified in it at one point in time so a part of me wants to mention it. Help, as I am not trusting my judgment in anything right now.

Hi! I'm really confident that I can get LOR's from my old OChem prof and the two pharmacists I work for, but I'm worried about asking the pharmacists because of the way that PharmCas is set up. I don't feel too great about having to ask for their e-mail addresses and when I don't quite understand the methods for doing paper LOR's. Plus I'm sort of late in the game and I'm worried that doing paper letters might take a really long time...any advice? Thanks!

Background: I took psychology a long time ago and did not pass. I was young and dumb then. You know how it is. :oops: I took the course again when I was ready and passed. I had the college line-out the bad grade so that it does not harm my GPA.

Now: How do I enter both in PharmCAS so that PharmCAS calculations will not harm my grade? Could I just modify their "Grade Using PharmCAS conversion table" to None? PharmCAS says "You MUST include all repeated, failed, and withdrawn courses." But, what about lined-out courses?

Thanks for the help and clarification! :)

Background: I took psychology a long time ago and did not pass. I was young and dumb then. You know how it is. :oops: I took the course again when I was ready and passed. I had the college line-out the bad grade so that it does not harm my GPA.

Now: How do I enter both in PharmCAS so that PharmCAS calculations will not harm my grade? Could I just modify their "Grade Using PharmCAS conversion table" to None? PharmCAS says "You MUST include all repeated, failed, and withdrawn courses." But, what about lined-out courses?

Thanks for the help and clarification! :)

If the grade is written on the transcript, you will have to include it in your pharmcas courses (pharmcas checks the grades on your transcript against what you input on their site). However, I do not know what "line out" means, so if it means that the grade is removed from the transcript (not just the gpa), I believe you can put "none" for your grades. I really wouldn't worry too much about one poor grade in a psychology course from awhile back. Many of us have been there. :)

I believe they do mail-outs once a week (according to their "b2b" side information). I had mine done in about two weeks. My friend e-submitted on 10/5, and just got his GPA calculated today (day 12, 10/17). I'm guessing they'll do a mailout on Friday, which will become day 14.

Just speculation on the mail out thing, though. So yeah, count on two weeks assuming all your transcripts are in. LOR's are forwarded if they're not in.

I e-submitted on 9/11.
My stuff was sent on 10/1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-submitted on 9/11.
My stuff was sent on 10/1.

Same here.

But I hear as it gets close to deadlines such as NOV. 1, it will take longer for PharmCAS to process apps.

Hey, how important are choosing which subject courses fall under for pharmcas (ie chem 100 for inorganic chemistry etc). Each school seems to have different decisions on which classes will fulfill what. Do they figure it out on their own?

Thanks

Since you ought to be applying to multiple schools, you probably should follow the PharmCAS guidelines instead with questions towards them. Schools figure it out on their own based on course name.

Assuming that "line-out" means that your first failed course is taken out of the school's GPA calculation, then you have to enter the grade anyone and PharmCAS will include both courses in its GPA calculation. Sorry.:)

Hi! I'm really confident that I can get LOR's from my old OChem prof and the two pharmacists I work for, but I'm worried about asking the pharmacists because of the way that PharmCas is set up. I don't feel too great about having to ask for their e-mail addresses and when I don't quite understand the methods for doing paper LOR's. Plus I'm sort of late in the game and I'm worried that doing paper letters might take a really long time...any advice? Thanks!

Here are the actual instructions on PharmCAS:

PharmCAS said:
Paper References
Paper references take longer to duplicate and send to your designated pharmacy schools. If the evaluator does not have Internet access, login to your application and print the PharmCAS Evaluation Form. The evaluator should complete the paper form and attach it to a reference letter. Pharmacy schools may not accept paper references unless a completed form and letter are attached. PharmCAS does not verify your references are complete. Paper references must be mailed to PharmCAS in a sealed envelope on the evaluator's signed official institutional or business stationery. The letter of reference and PharmCAS reference form must arrive together in a single envelope. PharmCAS will not accept paper references mailed by applicants. Arrange for only one paper reference to be sent to PharmCAS per evaluator. PharmCAS will provide a copy of your paper reference to each of your designated pharmacy schools.

So, you basically print out the form, give it to your pharmacist and that pharmacist has to send it in. Of course, this adds the risks and delays associated with snail mail.

It's ideal to ask for e-mails first. Don't be too afraid, it's just a professional request.:)

haha, thanks omnione...I'm the biggest nerd about these things - the smallest thing like asking for LOR's sends me into an out break of hives lol. I appreciate your response though!!!:):):)

I feel like ive been waiting forever. Its only been a week though. Just curious what the average times are.

They did mine in two business days(it was a Wed when it got posted), then on Monday it was sent to my school.

That's faster than normal, I think, but I'm not really sure why I was expedited... they said it just depends on how you fall in the que. I think it also has something to do with if your package is complete or not or how long they've had your transcripts for. I really don't know honestly. When I e-submitted, my whole package was complete with LoRs and transcripts. So I'm not really sure.. there might be a few factors considered before they place you in the "line."

Two days? Guess ill be calling them on monday.

I feel like ive been waiting forever. Its only been a week though. Just curious what the average times are.
It could have taken up to 5 weeks for Pharmcas to calculate your GPA. It could have taken a couple day for Pharmcas to verify your final transcript and post it to their website.:)

I could have taken up to 5 weeks for Pharmcas to calculate your GPA. It could have taken a couple day for Pharmcas to verify your final transcript and post it to their website.:)

Well theyve had all the information from me for about a week and a half, it all shows up on their website. I guess the question should have been "How long did it take them to calculate your GPA." Thats the only remaining thing.

it took 3 weeks: submitted on a monday and fully processed/mailed to schools by exactly 3 weeks later

Last year: 3-4 weeks.
This year: 1 week.

I've been waiting almost a week. I think it is variable, depending on how many others are submitting at the same time. Your file gets placed into the queue then worked as it comes up. I assume since the Nov. 1 deadline is quickly approaching, there will be a lot more people submitting through PharmCAS. I'm getting antsy too though. I just want to see my GPA calculated and everything submitted!!

i e-submitted mine on 9/26, and they sent it to the schools on 10/15, so it took 2-3 wks for me.

Can't help w/ LECOM... As for the other items, it depends on the school and you should look at each site for their requirements. Some schools will get your PharmCAS, and if you meet their minimum requirments, then they will send you the supplemental. I know Midwestern is like this and there are a few others. But most programs do not do this. So, go to each school's site and read what you have to do about supplementals... they should have everything for you in their application section. Schools will require your complete application (pharmcas, pcat, supplemental) before being reviewed and then they decide whether to invite you for an interview.

Secondary application availability depends on the school as some allow you to complete it ahead of time or at least independently of the PharmCAS application.

Anyone else waste money on PharmCAS after realizing that you don't meet the requirements for certain schools or no longer want to do all the extra work required for certain schools outside of PharmCAS?

It's frustrating how all the schools are so different in terms of application process, and I decided not to do the supplemental for one of them as they require LOR to be sent separately from PharmCAS (my last choice for pharm school).

And then my other one, I found out that my LOR won't be accepted because they only accept specific types of LOR.

With deadlines coming up around midterms time, I don't think I am going to even continue to apply to these 2 schools mentioned above. What happens to my application though? Will they take that into consideration if I were to apply for that school again next year?

Pharmcas states that you must send transcripts in from every school you've attended. However, I attended Purdue main campus for my first degree, took one summer class at the Calumet campus this summer, and am at the North Central campus for this semester and next. My Calumet grade is on my main transcript, and my NC grades will be too. So do I actually need to send all the transcripts? THe NC one will be blank as of now.... Also, how does this work with sending transcripts for classes you are in now?

Personally, I would submit all of them. just to be safe though the whole point of the transcripts is just for PharmCAS to save time by having you enter in your courses so that their people just need to verify that you aren't lying about your grades or something. They'd rather have you do the work.;) With that purpose, your main transcript ought to work but the technical definition of a school:

PharmCAS Instructions said:
Transfer credit(s) appearing on a transcript cannot be accepted in lieu of an original transcript from the institution where the course work was taken. Sendtranscripts for all postsecondary institutions you have attended, regardless of whether course credit transferred to another college or university and appears on that transcript.

For example, the University of Nebraska is like Purdue where there are three main undergraduate institutions. My school in Lincoln considered credit hours from the other campuses to be like transfer credits. Hence, my interpretation of the above quote from the PharmCAS instructions suggest that I would need a transcript from the other schools had I taken courses there.

As for winter/fall grades, PharmCAS will open the Academic Window in December that will allow you to modify your coursework section to reflect fall grades and planned spring courses.

I hear ya,

I was in such a rush to get my application in, that I submitted it minutes after my pharmacist uploaded her LOR. I found out the next day that she put the primary relationship to me as "co-worker" instead of pharmacist. I think that might wreck me because a lot of schools I applied to don't even accept LOR's from coworkers

you ever heard of

PharmCa$h ??

Anyone else waste money on PharmCAS after realizing that you don't meet the requirements for certain schools or no longer want to do all the extra work required for certain schools outside of PharmCAS?

It's frustrating how all the schools are so different in terms of application process, and I decided not to do the supplemental for one of them as they require LOR to be sent separately from PharmCAS (my last choice for pharm school).

And then my other one, I found out that my LOR won't be accepted because they only accept specific types of LOR.

With deadlines coming up around midterms time, I don't think I am going to even continue to apply to these 2 schools mentioned above. What happens to my application though? Will they take that into consideration if I were to apply for that school again next year?

I hear ya...I am in the same boat.....supplemental apps can be quite taxing to do when mostly you have to repeat the same info that you gave on pharmcas

Since your taking classes at a purdue satellite, all (calumet, NC, and Lafayette) will appear on your transcript. You will have to submit a PharmCas bar code sheet for each location attended though.

I am @ PU-calumet now, and I was at w. lafayette for 4 years, so when I requested the transcript, i added a note for (2) attachments to send to pharmcas. I also emailed pharmcas to let them know, and everything was fine.

1. how long did it take for your transcripts to go thru?

2. how long did it take for them to verify your recommendation letters? (if you had to send them out for your recommender)

3. how long did it take for them to recieve and post up ur PCAT scores?

i need to submit my pharmcas NOW but its taking forever for them to clear everything out!!:eek:

They just calculated my GPA on Friday...they still haven't mailed my application...WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO SEND IT!!!

Okay, I know I am overreacting about this. I still have about 4 weeks to go before I can even call them about it. I just want to get this over with.

How long did it take for your application to get sent out after they calculated your GPA? Was it with PCAT and all LORs?

Pharmcas sent my stuff (Everything--PCAT LORs) out about 1 week and a 1/2 after GPA was calculated.

How long did it take them to calculate your GPA?

LORs were in a day, since they were done online, transcripts from 10-14 business days ... from 2 diff schools ... PCAT don't know yet since I just took it

OMG!! I can't agree more. I've been wating patiently (going on impatiently) for them to calculate my GPA. I submitted last Monday. What's the current turnaround time for GPA calculation, then submission to schools?

How long did it take them to calculate your GPA?

About a week also ... I literally checked every day in the morning and in the evening, and it showed a saturday evening ... weird

It's looking like....

10 days to calculate GPA
7 days after calculation to mail