Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you do an anchor, how far are some of the sites that you can end up rotating at? I know with the Jtracks, some can be one or two hours away depending on where you're coming from.

I am a Rome anchor student and only 3 of my core rotations were in Rome. My other rotations have been in Calhoun (40 min w/ traffic), Cumming (1.5 hours) and Austell (1 hour). There were some difficulties with the Rome anchor this year, but our preceptor coordinator for this region has been working hard to recruit more physicians, so hopefully things will get better for future classes.

I can at least say the preceptors I've had are amazing and that makes it (almost) worth all the driving :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Rome anchor student and only 3 of my core rotations were in Rome. My other rotations have been in Calhoun (40 min w/ traffic), Cumming (1.5 hours) and Austell (1 hour). There were some difficulties with the Rome anchor this year, but our preceptor coordinator for this region has been working hard to recruit more physicians, so hopefully things will get better for future classes.

I can at least say the preceptors I've had are amazing and that makes it (almost) worth all the driving :)

Oh man, all that driving probably takes away from studying time. Ya'll mentioned you take advanced clinical skills before 3rd year, how time consuming is that class? Swimchick, can you comment on if you had enough time for step1? If I understand correctly, classes end June first, rotations stat August 1st, but you have ACS during the summer. And for those 1 hr + drives, is there maybe the ability to get housing near the hospital you are rotating at?

Last edited:
I was more-less set on shooting for a spot on jtrack, but now I´m not so sure. I have kids, so I was trying to avoid relocation but anchor sites seem to have a few more pros. I´m really confused now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly can't imagine being in the hospital for 14 hours and having a 4 hour commute on top of it.

hi there - just got an interview invite - thank God. Any tips/suggestions/help would be much appreciated. have a wonderful day !:):highfive:

hi there - just got an interview invite - thank God. Any tips/suggestions/help would be much appreciated. have a wonderful day !:):highfive:
Congrats on the ii!.... I had no idea they sent out ii on Saturdays.

Oh man, all that driving probably takes away from studying time. Ya'll mentioned you take advanced clinical skills before 3rd year, how time consuming is that class? Swimchick, can you comment on if you had enough time for step1? If I understand correctly, classes end June first, rotations stat August 1st, but you have ACS during the summer. And for those 1 hr + drives, is there maybe the ability to get housing near the hospital you are rotating at?

Keep in mind Swimchick's class had less time off then we do now to study for boards. Things are pretty different this year. This is the first year we can take an optional month off to study. This optional month off we can take will take away a vacation month that is currently set for May 4th yr. And ACS is being revamped from last yr as well, but all they have told us is 8-2 each day working cases with a group. Just to be clear (this is all new this yr) we have class until June 6th, then we can take either the rest of June off to study or July off to study. Whichever month we do not take to study is when we will take Advanced Clinical Skills. For ex, I will finish class June 6th, take June off, take COMLEX July 1st (as of right now), and start ACS July 7. That runs 1 month then the other rotations will start Aug. Hope that clears things up a little

I was more-less set on shooting for a spot on jtrack, but now I´m not so sure. I have kids, so I was trying to avoid relocation but anchor sites seem to have a few more pros. I´m really confused now.
I'm in the same boat. I am married with one on the way so it would be nice to stay in our current house or at least not have to move around. But I will probably still go for jtrack, because I don't mind spending a month away here and there.

Keep in mind Swimchick's class had less time off then we do now to study for boards. Things are pretty different this year. This is the first year we can take an optional month off to study. This optional month off we can take will take away a vacation month that is currently set for May 4th yr. And ACS is being revamped from last yr as well, but all they have told us is 8-2 each day working cases with a group. Just to be clear (this is all new this yr) we have class until June 6th, then we can take either the rest of June off to study or July off to study. Whichever month we do not take to study is when we will take Advanced Clinical Skills. For ex, I will finish class June 6th, take June off, take COMLEX July 1st (as of right now), and start ACS July 7. That runs 1 month then the other rotations will start Aug. Hope that clears things up a little

Is there any particular reason they are changing everything this year? Seems like PCOM-GA students have done well on the boards. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would put a 6 hour class right in the middle of the summer you need to study for Step 1.

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason they are changing everything this year? Seems like PCOM-GA students have done well on the boards. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would put a 6 hour class right in the middle of the summer you need to study for Step 1.
I think the month off is pretty standard... I don't think any schools give the entire summer off to study for boards. Correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah its never been a free summer. 3rd year starts the Monday after 2nd yr ends technically. ACS is considered a rotation. Previously it was randomly during your 3rd yr and you would come back to campus for it. Now its at the beginning before ppl have to move, which makes sense. THERE WAS NO TIME OFF to study until this year. So these changes are better than the previous way things were done. And the professors are on our tails bc the last class as a whole didn't do as well as they expected them to on boards (nothing against their class!). We haven't gotten specifics (we are supposed to have a boards q&a next week) but the faculty is not happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the month off is pretty standard... I don't think any schools give the entire summer off to study for boards. Correct me if I'm wrong

Some schools have an entire 2 months off, Well Im headed to Atlanta tomorrow. I have lots of questions for the med students. The PCOM_GA students who have answered questions on this thread have been really helpful as well. Truly appreciate you guys taking the time to answer our questions.

Last edited:
Some schools have an entire 2 months off, Well Im headed to Atlanta tomorrow. I have lots of questions for the med students. The PCOM_GA students who have answered questions on this thread have been really helpful as well. Truly appreciate you guys taking the time to answer our questions.

Good luck on your interview!! Hopefully you can find some 2nd yrs, although we will be testing till 11:30 ish. Oh and I would keep an eye on the weather, its going to be pretty nasty tomorrow (we are all hoping for a snow day haha).

Although things are going to change, I actually felt like I had enough study time for board exams (and I took USMLE and COMLEX); I also did DIT so that gave me structure to maximize my study time, which was about 3.5 dedicated weeks. I did really well on both exams, so you guys will be fine with having a dedicated month of study time. Once you start your dedicated board prep, you're going to realize you're more prepared than you thought; especially for OMM because our OMM faculty is awesome.

As for housing: my rotation in Cumming offered housing in Canton, which was still about 45 minutes away. I took the housing, but only stayed on days I was too tired to drive all the way back to Rome. There is no housing for the Calhoun rotations if you're an anchor student. J track students are housed in Rome and possibly Dalton. Take this all with a grain of salt, because I'm sure things will be much different for future students who choose this particular anchor.

The commuting does cut in to study time, but that's not always bad as I like the quiet time to unwind or call my family to let them know I'm still alive. For the days when I'm more motivated, I have Kaplan internal medicine lectures on my iPod that I listen to.

Good luck with your interview!

What happens in 4th year? Is it more of the same, like 3rd year, with clinical and all (or do they have a special name)?

Also...

If you're J-track for year 3, can you switch to a satellite site for year 4, or vice versa?

Do they feed us at the interview? I would have thought no, but then they called and asked about allergy restrictions. Also, does 8am meet 8am or 7:30am? Another interview I had started 15 min earlier than stated so 7:45am was not early enough!

What happens in 4th year? Is it more of the same, like 3rd year, with clinical and all (or do they have a special name)?

Also...

If you're J-track for year 3, can you switch to a satellite site for year 4, or vice versa?

4th yr is the same as 3rd, its all rotations with more electives. If you are at an anchor you can join Jtrack 4th yr, but it doesn't go the other way. If you have Jtrack, you do it 3rd and 4th yr.

The person asking about food, pretty sure you get like pastries, fruit, coffee ect... But I did steal sandwiches from an interview a couple months ago so who knows what you will have. It's super laid back, so I doubt it will start before 8. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat. I have a child in elementary school and was thinking the J track would be best, so that she wouldn't have to change schools. Now I'm thinking it may be better to just do the anchor track. I guess it's good that we have quite a while to think about this.

Do they feed us at the interview? I would have thought no, but then they called and asked about allergy restrictions. Also, does 8am meet 8am or 7:30am? Another interview I had started 15 min earlier than stated so 7:45am was not early enough!

When I went in November they gave us Chick-fil A, fruit, and water.

So in the II email confirmation, there is a number in case of weather emergency... call it! (spoiler alert- the school opens at 10 AM today!) My interview is supposed to start at 11 anyways, but I don't know how they are going to manage the 8AM group. Good Luck!

thank you. but when i call, it says that the school is open at ten, leave a message blah blah. does anyone have any idea? i would not just show up at ten haha

So in the II email confirmation, there is a number in case of weather emergency... call it! (spoiler alert- the school opens at 10 AM today!) My interview is supposed to start at 11 anyways, but I don't know how they are going to manage the 8AM group. Good Luck!

Last edited:
thank you. but when i call, it says that the school is open at ten, leave a message blah blah. does anyone have any ideak? i would not just show up at ten haha

Well, because of the rain last night and the temps that it was SUPPOSED to reach (it didn't quite get down to the 10* they were expecting), and this being the South, they thought the city was going to be covered in ice and full of drivers who can't drive on ice. I expect the late opening was in hopes of the roads improving. But, like I said, my appt is at 11, so I am comfortable showing up at 10 to find out what's going on.

Congrats to all who interviewed today,... good luck!!!

Hello everybody! This is my first post in quite some time. I interviewed at GA-PCOM on 1/6, and had a great experience that I want to share. Being in the morning group, we started the day off a bit late due to weather conditions. The weather wasn't bad, but they had to make the call to delay interviews very early in the morning. I did not mind waiting; in fact, the waiting gave me plenty of time to speak with many different staff members and quite a few current students from both the medical school and biomedical program. I could not be more impressed with how comfortable staff made me feel with warm greetings overall friendliness. It was also neat to see the staff/faculty/students acting like old friends, joking around and laughing. The facility is a large warehouse-style building, but did not feel like the "Coscto" I had imagined after reading prior posts here. Instead, it felt more like walking into a museum with a large architectural foyer and a main hallway (at least 50 feet wide) that branched off several times. You can tell they used the square footage well by having large classrooms, a large anatomy lab, a large OMM room, and library with plenty of work space for lots of students. All of the large instructional rooms had huge LED TV's hung throughout, so no seat is a bad seat. There was a quick presentation prior to interviewing, which was informative and gave us an opportunity to ask many questions. The interview was low-medium stress, with a handful of questions. I shouldn't elaborate on specifics, but having a few prepared bullet points helped me deliver as much pertinent information as possible in the ultra-brief ~20 minute interview. My interviewer(s) were easy to speak with, and the type of genuine people I would hope to be surrounded by in medical school. These are good people. After my interview, they took my picture for their records and student ID (hopefully!). I had not received a tour at this time due to the weather delay from earlier, so I asked to specifically see the anatomy lab. Trena was more than happy to set me up with a wonderful student tour guide that had security unlock the anatomy lab just for us. It was large, clean, and DID NOT SMELL BAD. Can't beat that. My guide then offered to show me the entire facility, telling me about her experiences along the way. I am very glad I asked, and appreciated their accommodation. Do not be afraid to ask anything there!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?

They can't be full yet. If I recall correctly, they're sending invites through March. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! That was fast! ...probably won't get my decision letter till Monday being from CA... Ahhh the excitement/anxiety

Mail came in today. I was surprised to see it come in a lot earlier than 2 weeks.
What were your stats if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I sure wish you could pay an "electronic service fee" and get the results emailed to you :-( I HATE the stress of waiting, and I don't trust my stupid mail lady,... She loses stuff and misses random days.

I sure wish you could pay an "electronic service fee" and get the results emailed to you :-( I HATE the stress of waiting, and I don't trust my stupid mail lady,... She loses stuff and misses random days.

Tristin emailed a bunch of us our decision results after my group interviewed. I received my decision three days after the interview; didn't get the snail mail until the next week.

Yeah, I saw that earlier in this thread so I asked while I was there and they said that they didn't have time to email all the responses to folks. I'm just thinking that it would be easier to email, cost less (no more stamps, paper, or envelopes), and there would be MUCH happier applicants. I mean, even if I am getting rejected, at least I don't have to brood over it longer.

Nope...think they send all decisions at the same time? Not just acceptances first haha
Still nothing in the mail today, so I called- ACCEPTED!!! Finally, I can get a good night sleep!! Thanks for letting me rant here for stress relief :). For anyone accepted from the interviews on the 6th, what is your deadline to pay the first deposit?

Anyone remember about how long it took to get the confirmation email that your file was complete after submitting the secondary?

Still nothing in the mail today, so I called- ACCEPTED!!! Finally, I can get a good night sleep!! Thanks for letting me rant here for stress relief :). For anyone accepted from the interviews on the 6th, what is your deadline to pay the first deposit?
Congrats!.. been cheering for you :) the feeling must be amazing!

Anybody know when the start date is for Pcom-ga?

I think it's August 17. Could be wrong though.

My guess is orientation will be the week of August 11 and classes will start the week of August 18th - just a guess based off of last years start dates.

I would encourage anyone who interviewed on 6 Jan and has yet to receive a response to call Tristan. He is back in the office now. I called again today (last week he wasn't there) and he confirmed that I was accepted, but didn't know what happened to the letter they were supposed to mail. He will be sending me another, I guess,... but as deadlines loom, if you have heard nothing, well... just make sure before you give up.

I would encourage anyone who interviewed on 6 Jan and has yet to receive a response to call Tristan. He is back in the office now. I called again today (last week he wasn't there) and he confirmed that I was accepted, but didn't know what happened to the letter they were supposed to mail. He will be sending me another, I guess,... but as deadlines loom, if you have heard nothing, well... just make sure before you give up.
Congrats of you acceptance! That must have been a long week for you, I know it would have been eternal for me.

Whomever is waiting to hear about a decision, definitely don't hesitate to give Tristin a call. He is incredibly helpful.