Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may piss off your professor, but you could speak with your premed advisor or department chair, who could perhaps convince your professor to let you reschedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you communicate the fact that you have an interview I.e show confirmation to prof..I get a prof thinkin you were trying to get an extra study day, but a med school interview is legitimate grounds for an exam reschedule imo...Things happen, so I'm sure a reschedule is not the end of the world and I'm sure they have done so before, but whatever you decide to do, I think this is prob something that should be done sooner rather than later, as I'm sure accommodating a change will look worse the closer it gets to your interview day, I think your best bet is to call and find out how they feel about it, you don't have to reschedule until you get a feel for the schools willingness to accept a change ..good luck
Yeah, I showed my professor an interview confirmation, and she still wasn't very accommodating. I called and rescheduled for another February date and it didn't seem like it was a big deal. I'm really glad its resolved!

Reactions: 1 user
You may piss off your professor, but you could speak with your premed advisor or department chair, who could perhaps convince your professor to let you reschedule.
I called PCOM and they had an interview spot available a week after my original interview, so I just moved my interview date and it ended up being no big deal. Whoever I spoke with didn't seem to mind at all. I'm really pleased PCOM was so understanding.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have my interview here tomorrow. There isn't a table of events. Please could anyone just give a breakdown of the interview day. Thank you.

Hey guys, I have my interview here tomorrow. There isn't a table of events. Please could anyone just give a breakdown of the interview day. Thank you.
My interview is tomorrow as well! How are you feeling about it?

The first thing they'll do is have all of the interviewees type up responses to some questions that the interviewers may ask you about during the interview. They'll give you 30 minutes or so and I think there's like 5 questions. Then they'll give you a tour and information about the school. After that, they'll feed you and start pulling people out for the interviews. The interviews last about ~20 minutes, and are pretty conversational.

Good luck to those interviewing today!
I honestly think it's a great school. I enjoyed the interview. They really just want to get to know you and a bunch of nice student and faculty in general.

Hello all i've been lurking on this thread for a while now but they released my app on 1/13 and I turned in my secondary on 1/15. how long before they attempt to schedule an interview or will they wait until my letter writers have uploaded their letters onto inter folio

Last edited:
Hello all i've been lurking on this thread for a while now but they aacomas released my app on 1/13 and I turned in my ii on 1/15. how long before they attempt to schedule an interview or will they wait until my letter writers have uploaded their letters onto inter folio
Hey fyi, i think you meant to say secondary. ii means interview invite. i thought the same in the past.

Hello all i've been lurking on this thread for a while now but they aacomas released my app on 1/13 and I turned in my ii on 1/15. how long before they attempt to schedule an interview or will they wait until my letter writers have uploaded their letters onto inter folio

It depends on your stats. My secondary was submitted at the end of december and I'm still waiting. what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fyi, i think you meant to say secondary. ii means interview invite. i thought the same in the past.[/QUOTE
oh I thought it was shorthand lol but yes I mean secondary thank you

I applied pretty late; I sent in my secondary on the 13th.
Assuming my application will be 'completed' in the beginning of February, any idea about when I might get an ii from them?
3.5 gpa / 3.4 sgpa / 24 mcat

Hello,

I recently received an invitation for an interview for Feb 6th. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some insight on the process. I would really appreciate it!

Hello,

I recently received an invitation for an interview for Feb 6th. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some insight on the process. I would really appreciate it!

Congrats!

You'll be able to find everything you need within this thread.

I've had no love from this school since August, I'm hoping they're still offering interviews with available seats. Any II's lately?

Does anyone know how much the deposit to hold a spot is?

From their website:

Interviewed candidates are usually notified within 4-6 weeks from the date of their interview.

Accepted applicants are asked to send a $250 non-refundable tuition prepayment according to the following schedule:

• those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14
  • those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
  • those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days
  • those accepted on or after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit
All accepted candidates are required to remit a $1500 non-refundable deposit by April 15th. The candidate is also asked to review and acknowledge PCOM’s Technical Standards for Admission and Matriculation, linked above.

From their website:

Interviewed candidates are usually notified within 4-6 weeks from the date of their interview.

Accepted applicants are asked to send a $250 non-refundable tuition prepayment according to the following schedule:

• those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14
  • those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
  • those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days
  • those accepted on or after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit
All accepted candidates are required to remit a $1500 non-refundable deposit by April 15th. The candidate is also asked to review and acknowledge PCOM’s Technical Standards for Admission and Matriculation, linked above.
Gracias. $250 isn't bad at all compared to other schools. :highfive:

I've had no love from this school since August, I'm hoping they're still offering interviews with available seats. Any II's lately?

I would email and ask if there's anything missing from your app if you haven't already.

Gracias. $250 isn't bad at all compared to other schools. :highfive:

So a couple things to add to this... First, $250 is the initial payment to hold your spot. They required another payment (in March or April) of $1500 to keep your spot after that. I think that it is a fantastic system because they know that people will be wanting to make a firm acceptance, but SO many people start changing up their final school choice in the spring/summer that it gives the college a much better idea who is really going to attend. Until that point, it doesn't matter anyways because, even in schools who require the entire amount, people pay it and then the Spring shuffle hits anyways. BTW, those deposits are paid toward your first semester's tuition.

That leads into my next point (and I think I've said it before)... When the second payment is due there will be a lot of spots that open up. This is a natural effect of the acceptance process. EVERY med school has people who have accepted at more than one place. Spots are being held all over the country by people who (out of self preservation, I'm sure) paid the deposit at the first school who accepted them only to get an acceptance to a school they wanted more. So then they have paid at two schools and don't want to let the schools know. Some just don't do the paperwork (that's the reason the deadlines are well before school starts) and a couple may just not show for orientation. A good friend of mine interviewed here in Aug (2013) and loved the school. He didn't hear back from them until May and accepted. Calm down and know that every school gets hit with the shuffle.

Good Luck!

When were you complete and when did they offered you an ii?
I submitted to aacomas mid October, but had transcript problems. I had to call them twice to get it straight… that took till the beginning of December. I submitted the secondary about 2 weeks later. They said I was "processed" Jan. 8th.

I was given the invitation a few days ago for Feb 6th, but I already had an interview that day. I had to reschedule for the 13th. They seemed a little peeved because of it. Maybe they have had flaky people in the past?

I am excited to be interviewing here!!! When the admissions rep came to speak at my school they sounded like they had it together. The public school systems in Suwanee... a mother's dream!

I submitted the secondary about 2 weeks later. They said I was "processed" Jan. 8th.

Congrats! May I ask about your stats? Any major EC's or research? By no means feel obligated, I can't help my curiosity as I have been complete since September with no invitation.

I submitted to aacomas mid October, but had transcript problems. I had to call them twice to get it straight… that took till the beginning of December. I submitted the secondary about 2 weeks later. They said I was "processed" Jan. 8th.

I was given the invitation a few days ago for Feb 6th, but I already had an interview that day. I had to reschedule for the 13th. They seemed a little peeved because of it. Maybe they have had flaky people in the past?

I am excited to be interviewing here!!! When the admissions rep came to speak at my school they sounded like they had it together. The public school systems in Suwanee... a mother's dream!

Thanks! I was complete at about the same time. Hopefully I get one too!

Congrats! May I ask about your stats? Any major EC's or research? By no means feel obligated, I can't help my curiosity as I have been complete since September with no invitation.

+1

I was complete in mid November and got an II in January for a February interview. I'm not a Georgia resident, but I'm from a southern state and not far from Sewanee, Georgia at all. I think being a Georgia resident or being from the south is pretty important at PCOM-GA, considering their mission statement explicitly mentions supplying the south with doctors. My stats are 29, 3.94. I hope both of you get II's soon!:)

I was complete in mid November and got an II in January for a February interview. I'm not a Georgia resident, but I'm from a southern state and not far from Sewanee, Georgia at all. I think being a Georgia resident or being from the south is pretty important at PCOM-GA, considering their mission statement explicitly mentions supplying the south with doctors. My stats are 29, 3.94. I hope both of you get II's soon!:)

Thanks for the info and congrats! I just wish they could offer an agreement to work x years in Georgia, otherwise I find it pretty unfair. How do they know I don't want to live my life and die in the south? lol

I think they chose me because my extracurricular activities align with their mission. I'm definitely going into rural primary care in the south- specifically pediatrics.

IS, NT, mediocre MCAT, 3.87 cGPA. Disadvantaged student with a traumatic life experience.

Medical Missions work (for years). Former teacher & pastor. Unique story of how I came to pursue medicine. Heavy clinical exposure. 200+ shadowing hours. 2000+ volunteer hours. Also I juggle being a full-time student, wife, mom, employee, and president of an organization.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please give me specific advice regarding travel to PCOM-GA. My S/O and I would like to travel together for my interview. Any information on hotels,air fare/airline,travel sites, cheapest/closest airport would be appreciated. If possible please detail your trip and the best way to arrange travel. Thank you!

anybody here applying to both PCOM campuses? Do you have to submit your letters of rec twice if so? I already know about the application fee and the secondaries, but I can't seem to figure out if I've gotta do letters twice or not.

I found where they mentioned it on the website but I keep reading it 2 different ways. not too clear. hoping the set i've already sent is sufficient

anybody here applying to both PCOM campuses? Do you have to submit your letters of rec twice if so? I already know about the application fee and the secondaries, but I can't seem to figure out if I've gotta do letters twice or not.

I found where they mentioned it on the website but I keep reading it 2 different ways. not too clear. hoping the set i've already sent is sufficient

I only sent one set to the philadelphia campus.

thanks! thought that was the case, just kept psyching myself out about potential missing info :)

Can someone please give me specific advice regarding travel to PCOM-GA. My S/O and I would like to travel together for my interview. Any information on hotels,air fare/airline,travel sites, cheapest/closest airport would be appreciated. If possible please detail your trip and the best way to arrange travel. Thank you!

I flew into Atlanta, rented a car and stayed at the Courtyard in Suwanee (approx. 1 mile from the school). There are quite a few hotels within a 5 mile radius of the school.

Atlanta is the closest airport (~45 minute drive, depending on traffic) and it's much less expensive to rent a car and drive up to Suwanee than it would be to take a taxi. Rush hour traffic is awful, so I would try to time your flight to arrive in the early afternoon.

I flew into Atlanta, rented a car and stayed at the Courtyard in Suwanee (approx. 1 mile from the school). There are quite a few hotels within a 5 mile radius of the school.

Atlanta is the closest airport (~45 minute drive, depending on traffic) and it's much less expensive to rent a car and drive up to Suwanee than it would be to take a taxi. Rush hour traffic is awful, so I would try to time your flight to arrive in the early afternoon.

Great advice. Thanks!

Completed as of Feb 9. Any idea(s) about when I could here back for an interview? Thanks.

Wait listed!! This kinda hurts though cause I was hoping to get admitted as I was still holding on making deposit on another admission. Hopefully I still get some love. Great school nottheless.