This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrianym

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
So I have so far sent secondaries to 13 schools, most of which wanted a photograph. I had my friend take a few "professional" pictures a few months ago, mostly for Linkedin, and I thought the photo I was sending looked professional, but then I read a few forums and got paranoid.

So I cannot post the picture for privacy reasons, but it is me (female) posing against a gray and glass wall in a university building, against a silver railing. The background is very clean and plain, so I'm not too concerned about that. I have however, been sending pictures that go down to my waist rather than just head and shoulders. I am also not in a suit, but in a simple blue cardigan, and a black dress. It's not an outfit I would wear to an interview, but rather to a nice family gathering. My hair is very neat and brushed, but if you zoom in, I have a few fly aways, but thats just how my hair tends to get. I thought because it would be appropriate for Linkedin, it would also be okay for secondaries, but all of these forums are making me feel like its very informal. I'm petrified that this picture will ruin all of my hard work, and I would really appreciate any input from people who have been accepted or on admission committees.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should probably withdraw your app and apply next cycle.......

You're fine. Don't worry about it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also wondering about this...I used a photo for a couple schools that I cropped from a casual picture with someone else in it. You can’t tell that it was cropped necessarily, but my head is not in the center and I am just wearing a tan sweater with a long gold necklace-it’s plain, but not incredibly professional looking. This sounds silly but I have very curly hair that gets frizzy easily and I haven’t been able to take a good picture recently because the summer heat does not make for good hair days. The schools I submitted to didn’t specify the type of picture, but I have held off on submitting one that requires a “passport style” photo for this reason. Seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to make or break an app, but also I don’t want to hurt myself for no reason.
We get a lot of these too. At least we can't see his hand on your shoulder if it's cropped.
There is nothing wrong with big hair...

You'll be fine... I've seen secondary photos where people look like they are dressed to go to the circus