This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Pittsburgh

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Temple

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Maryland

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Louisville

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Stacysmom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very happy to have a decision to make. Just having a hard time making said decision.

Being from PA, I have instate tuition at both Temple and Pitt, so these schools would be a lot cheaper for me to attend, with Pitt being slightly cheaper. However, the location of Temple is better as it is closer to home and would provide easier access to my friends who will be in Boston and NYC after graduation.

I'm currently not sure if I would want to specialize or be a general dentist. I think I'm leaning towards specializing if I have the grades and standing to do so. I go to a rather small school, so I don't really know anyone at any of the schools and can't get a personal opinion on the school in that way.

Just looking for opinions on these programs and how they may prepare me differently

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in similar circumstances (PA resident) and trying to determine between Temple vs. Maryland.

I would consider the facility/environment between Pitt and Temple. I did not see Temple's campus but when I interviewed at Pitt, I remembered it being very run-down and it felt old. Also, I would consider their campus size and city. Remember: Temple has competition with Penn for patients to come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember: Temple has competition with Penn for patients to come in.
That's true but I don't think Temple has a problem with getting patients since its in Philly. Their clinical requirements were like 100 fillings, 20 crowns, like really high.

Last edited:
*double post*

Last edited:
I got the same feeling.

OP, Maryland gives in-state after D1 (total COA $288K), has amazing facilities, and records/uploads EVERY single lecture online. Enough said.
Doesn't Temple also record/upload every lecture as well?

Doesn't Temple also record/upload every lecture as well?

I'm pretty sure all of these schools record their lectures. I just know that at Pitt they said theres a few of professors that don't like their lectures recorded

Does anyone know which of these schools might better prepare one to specialize later down the road?

Temple has zero problems getting patients. Temple has a rudely high clinical requirements and a stellar reputation for graduating dentists with good clinical preparation. Pitt facilities are subpar. Honestly, I would go temple because it's also closer to home and that has an intrinsic benefit. Feel free to ask me questions about temple or penn.

Temple has zero problems getting patients. Temple has a rudely high clinical requirements and a stellar reputation for graduating dentists with good clinical preparation. Pitt facilities are subpar. Honestly, I would go temple because it's also closer to home and that has an intrinsic benefit. Feel free to ask me questions about temple or penn.
When do you take the boards part 1 at Temple? Are the facilities nice? I honestly can't remember these details from my interview a while ago.

When do you take the boards part 1 at Temple? Are the facilities nice? I honestly can't remember these details from my interview a while ago.
You officially have to take them summer of D2. Many choose to take winter break of D2 because we already cover all the material. Facilities are very nice. Preclinic is comfortable, good study areas. Clinics are top of the line. Helath campus facilites are cafeteria at the hospital one or two blocks down and a student center with gym tech center etc. Library one block down. Nothing else, but subway 200 feet from school to get to center city.

Pitt facilities are subpar.

I mean, I'll admit that the beige flooring needs to go and an area of the perio department still has wallpaper borders, but that's not something that's going to play into your clinical experience at all. Calling a school subpar based on an interview-day tour from over a year ago is rubbish. Pitt is an excellent school.

OP, don't let them scare you. I'm a third year at Pitt and if I had to go back, I'd choose Pitt again without hesitation. The facilities there are absolutely fine in terms of dentistry requirements and I haven't noticed anything lacking. Sim clinic's well taken care of, well stocked, and well utilized for your first and second year. We have phenomenal faculty and they do an exceptionally good job of preparing you for boards, which you'll take the August after your first year. My class had a 100% pass rate on the first go and most people only studied for 1-2 weeks before taking them. They start exposing you to clinic from day 1 and try as hard as they can to ease you in and support you at every step of the way.

Once you get to clinic, there's plenty of chairs, the clinic's constantly being cleaned (facilities staff rotates through multiple times a day), the dispensaries are stocked, staffed with extremely helpful personnel, and are easily accessible. If something breaks, it's fixed pretty much instantly or as soon as parts are in. Again, the faculty are phenomenal. I love my team leader and prosth faculty to bits. They'll help you out in any way that they can.

My only complaint about the building itself would honestly be that the prosth lab is overcrowded at times, but they've mentioned that they're planning on expanding that within the next year or so, so it's kind of a non-issue. Cafeteria and gym are literally next door (and the cafeteria food is actually awesome. They serve pretty legit cannolis. How awesome is that?), plenty of study space (including that brand new atrium), most lectures are recorded with the exception of a few professors who're still a little dodgy on the whole Cloud concept.

In addition to planning for a new undergrad prosth lab, they've also gone in within the past year and redone all of the computer labs w/ new computers (they just reopened a few weeks ago), 1/2 of the first floor (front entrance, patient waiting area, financial counselling office), patient registration, opened up a new atrium, multi-floored research wing, study area, and coffee shop, and redone the main lecture hall. Clinics are slotted to be freshened up over the coming winter holiday.

In terms of specialization, I think Pitt does a good job. I don't know placement numbers, but they have you rotate through all of the departments 2-3+ times during your third year and most departments are happy to see properly attired and respectful D1 and D2 students coming in during their spare time to shadow. The perio, prosth, ortho, and anesthesia departments in particular are always thrilled to hear that someone's interested in specializing and faculty there will go out of their way to discuss their specialty, introduce you to the staff and residents of their department, and many will offer advice on the application process/how to be a competitive applicant.

Selectives options are offered for most departments starting third year, which allow you to use up a clinic slot once a week to go to that specialty's department and get some additional experience and exposure. If clinically oriented selectives aren't your style, many of the departments will offer didactic selectives, research opportunities, or independent study sessions. The school itself is also very good about accommodating externships and will help you to schedule your course/clinic responsibilities around any absences.

If you have any questions about the school, let me know. I'd be happy to talk about my experiences here and answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like Pitt & Maryland are the two frontrunners on that poll up there.

Pitt: 15 votes
Maryland: 11 votes
Temple: 8 votes
Louisville: 5 votes

Last edited:
I personally loved Pitt on my visit. Yeahhh, facilities aren't the best out there but they have an amazing educational program there and I reallly loved everyone on the staff. There was just something about their attitudes that was so laid back, friendly, and down to earth. Not to mention Pittsburgh is a wonderful city to be in during your 20's (Baltimore is.. uh... not).

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, I'll admit that the beige flooring needs to go and an area of the perio department still has wallpaper borders, but that's not something that's going to play into your clinical experience at all. Calling a school subpar based on an interview-day tour from over a year ago is rubbish. Pitt is an excellent school.

OP, don't let them scare you. I'm a third year at Pitt and if I had to go back, I'd choose Pitt again without hesitation. The facilities there are absolutely fine in terms of dentistry requirements and I haven't noticed anything lacking. Sim clinic's well taken care of, well stocked, and well utilized for your first and second year. We have phenomenal faculty and they do an exceptionally good job of preparing you for boards, which you'll take the August after your first year. My class had a 100% pass rate on the first go and most people only studied for 1-2 weeks before taking them. They start exposing you to clinic from day 1 and try as hard as they can to ease you in and support you at every step of the way.

Once you get to clinic, there's plenty of chairs, the clinic's constantly being cleaned (facilities staff rotates through multiple times a day), the dispensaries are stocked, staffed with extremely helpful personnel, and are easily accessible. If something breaks, it's fixed pretty much instantly or as soon as parts are in. Again, the faculty are phenomenal. I love my team leader and prosth faculty to bits. They'll help you out in any way that they can.

My only complaint about the building itself would honestly be that the prosth lab is overcrowded at times, but they've mentioned that they're planning on expanding that within the next year or so, so it's kind of a non-issue. Cafeteria and gym are literally next door (and the cafeteria food is actually awesome. They serve pretty legit cannolis. How awesome is that?), plenty of study space (including that brand new atrium), most lectures are recorded with the exception of a few professors who're still a little dodgy on the whole Cloud concept.

In addition to planning for a new undergrad prosth lab, they've also gone in within the past year and redone all of the computer labs w/ new computers (they just reopened a few weeks ago), 1/2 of the first floor (front entrance, patient waiting area, financial counselling office), patient registration, opened up a new atrium, multi-floored research wing, study area, and coffee shop, and redone the main lecture hall. Clinics are slotted to be freshened up over the coming winter holiday.

In terms of specialization, I think Pitt does a good job. I don't know placement numbers, but they have you rotate through all of the departments 2-3+ times during your third year and most departments are happy to see properly attired and respectful D1 and D2 students coming in during their spare time to shadow. The perio, prosth, ortho, and anesthesia departments in particular are always thrilled to hear that someone's interested in specializing and faculty there will go out of their way to discuss their specialty, introduce you to the staff and residents of their department, and many will offer advice on the application process/how to be a competitive applicant.

Selectives options are offered for most departments starting third year, which allow you to use up a clinic slot once a week to go to that specialty's department and get some additional experience and exposure. If clinically oriented selectives aren't your style, many of the departments will offer didactic selectives, research opportunities, or independent study sessions. The school itself is also very good about accommodating externships and will help you to schedule your course/clinic responsibilities around any absences.

If you have any questions about the school, let me know. I'd be happy to talk about my experiences here and answer any questions you may have.

You're the best.

(Baltimore is.. uh... not).

Why isn't Baltimore a good place? I mean, the school is in a somewhat rough area but I thought Baltimore is a nice city in its own right?

Why isn't Baltimore a good place? I mean, the school is in a somewhat rough area but I thought Baltimore is a nice city in its own right?

Eh just my personal opinion. I've lived in the DMV (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) area my whole life so I've made a good number of visits to Baltimore (a lot of the time to explore around with family visiting us and being tourists) and it's never come across as a welcoming place to me. I like how diverse it is (much like most major cities), but the thing is that while there are a few nice areas, most of it just seems worn down and I didn't really feel safe walking around at night (which granted you can say about lots of cities, but still). They're also typically ranked in the top 10 for most dangerous cities. I know some friends at Hopkins for undergrad and they can't wait to get out of the Baltimore area.

Just to add context, I'm someone who has lived in the suburbs my whole life so living in a city isn't what I'm used to and definitely puts me out of my comfort zone. So while I do have reservations, I don't think my opinions really hold much weight until I've actually lived in one.

That's what they all say about the ****ty cities. If it wasn't so bad, there's no need to bring that up in the first place.

That's what they all say about the ****ty cities. If it wasn't so bad, there's no need to bring that up in the first place.

Except for rivalries, right?

Last edited:
Looks like Temple is catching up!

Pitt: 16
UMB: 13
Temple: 11

Pennsylvania is dominating here.

Pitt facilities are subpar.

Pitt's facilities are just fine and they get the job done well. Also, the faculty and students at Pitt are among the most caring I know. I PM'd a Pitt student and a Pitt alum the other day asking for more info....within a day, I had 3-4 pages of material from EACH of them. That's how passionate they are.

Here's the link to one of the albums of Pitt ASDA- some good shots of the working space, computers, monitors, etc:

Reactions: 1 users
Pitt's facilities are just fine and they get the job done well.

Here's the link to one of the albums of Pitt ASDA- some good shots of the working space, computers, monitors, etc:

Totally agree! Pitt's facilities were certainly not the best or the most cutting edge, but subpar is an inaccurate way of describing them

Totally agree! Pitt's facilities were certainly not the best or the most cutting edge, but subpar is an inaccurate way of describing them

I only have three words for you, brother.

HAIL. TO. PITT.

Reactions: 2 users