Plans for Medical school, could this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychPop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

So currently an undergraduate majoring in psychology set to graduate in spring of 2020.
my GPA should end up in the 2.9-3.1 range when that happens.
I have been juggling the idea of therapy and getting my masters in marriage and family (MFT) BUT, my mind has been thinking more and more about getting into a medical school and becoming a psychiatrist because I really want to work in a hospital setting AND actually be able to prescribe medication to help psychiatric patients, I feel this job for me would be far more fulfilling in the long run and more structured as I do not like the idea of becoming an MFT and having to start my own practice making $50-$60k a year for some time trying to grow my business. The whole idea of all that schooling and practice just to be barely scraping by is not enticing. I want to help people overcome psychological disorders but I also want to earn a strong living.

With that said I have a long road ahead of me it seems...
My GPA will need a strong boost of course; in this I was thinking of graduating with my BS in psychology as usual then spending a year completing all the sciences required for an MD program thus boosting my GPA hopefully to the 3.3-3.5 range and scoring a strong one on the MCAT. This summer I am applying everywhere for a shadowing position at a hospital.
I have contemplated nursing school to eventually become an psychiatric NP but that will take a minimum of five years and my ability to memorize endless amounts of scientific information will be tested there at a similar level to that of your first two years in medical school I believe (feel free to correct me here as I am referring to a BSN and MSN schooling).
Luckily my folks are willing to provide me with financial support in any path I choose so that is a huge leg up!
Medical school is no joke and the sciences classes in the first two years will be the very bane of my existence provided I can even get in. But, if I can do well in those pre-req courses such as chemistry and physics (which would be very impressive for me) I bet I can survive those first two years and the MCAT with proper prep.

Please give me any advice you see fit!
cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a medical student yet but I did go through a BSN program for my first degree before going back for biology. Your timeline plan seems feasible but I'm sorry, nursing school does not even compare to the prerequisite courses needed prior to matriculating into medical school, let alone the first two years of medical school. I thought the same thing while in nursing school but I have friends of mine that have gone through medical school already and a few that are still in it and I'd venture to say the material required to learn by a medical student is more than 5x that of a nursing student, if not much more. As far as your GPA, you can make headway by making sure to nail the prerequisite courses. Many schools look at both a cumulative GPA as well as a science/prerequisite course GPA. Also, since it looks like you have another year and a half minimum prior to applying, I'd find some extracurriculars you enjoy and stick with just a few. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Why not go into clinical psychology?
I don't mean you shouldn't apply for med school, but it seems like that could be a good fit

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not go into clinical psychology?
I don't mean you shouldn't apply for med school, but it seems like that could be a good fit

I contemplated clinical psychology but that would require me getting my PsyD which is a long rigorous process and in truth it does not mean any higher pay whatsoever. Also that field is completely absent of physical treatment in a sense which is more of my goal.
Of course it would certainly be easier than going to med school.

Thanks for the input though!

Hello guys!

So currently an undergraduate majoring in psychology set to graduate in spring of 2020.
my GPA should end up in the 2.9-3.1 range when that happens.
I have been juggling the idea of therapy and getting my masters in marriage and family (MFT) BUT, my mind has been thinking more and more about getting into a medical school and becoming a psychiatrist because I really want to work in a hospital setting AND actually be able to prescribe medication to help psychiatric patients, I feel this job for me would be far more fulfilling in the long run and more structured as I do not like the idea of becoming an MFT and having to start my own practice making $50-$60k a year for some time trying to grow my business. The whole idea of all that schooling and practice just to be barely scraping by is not enticing. I want to help people overcome psychological disorders but I also want to earn a strong living.

With that said I have a long road ahead of me it seems...
My GPA will need a strong boost of course; in this I was thinking of graduating with my BS in psychology as usual then spending a year completing all the sciences required for an MD program thus boosting my GPA hopefully to the 3.3-3.5 range and scoring a strong one on the MCAT. This summer I am applying everywhere for a shadowing position at a hospital.
I have contemplated nursing school to eventually become an psychiatric NP but that will take a minimum of five years and my ability to memorize endless amounts of scientific information will be tested there at a similar level to that of your first two years in medical school I believe (feel free to correct me here as I am referring to a BSN and MSN schooling).
Luckily my folks are willing to provide me with financial support in any path I choose so that is a huge leg up!
Medical school is no joke and the sciences classes in the first two years will be the very bane of my existence provided I can even get in. But, if I can do well in those pre-req courses such as chemistry and physics (which would be very impressive for me) I bet I can survive those first two years and the MCAT with proper prep.

Please give me any advice you see fit!
cheers!
Read this: