This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unique Amy

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to a community college where I earned a total of 73 credits and a 3.4 GPA.
I then transferred to a university and did not have a smooth transfer. During this time I took most of my pre-requisites. For the longest time, I always had a 2.8-2.9 overall GPA at the university. I had all of my credits to graduate but was embarrassed about my GPA, so I continued taking upper level science classes (biology). I ended up raising my university GPA from a 2.67 to a 3.33 cumulative. In order to make this upward trend my GPA for the last 70 credits was a 3.67 (with approximately 11 4.0's).
To conclude community college GPA 3.4
Overall University 3.33
Overall Science 3.0
Last 70 credits science 3.67

I volunteered for a year and a half in a research lab at my university. I now currently work as an assistant research chemist (9 months). I worked for a year and a half as a dental assistant. I volunteered 10 hours in an autism center. I have 4 publications in my university journals for undergraduate work (only one of them is science related). I received 8 awards/ honors for presenting class work at research colloquiums (only one of them is science related). I was president of two school organizations.
Do I have a chance of getting into medical school or should I be looking into DO school because of my low GPA? I am currently studying for the MCAT.
 
Last edited: