This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoKnights96

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I was looking around online for some resources that could help me out, and I came across this cool site! (I seriously can't believe I am just now hearing of this.) I am new to this, so if this post doesn't belong here, please let me know.

I was wondering if you all could chance me on my admission chances into a combined MD/PhD! If you're wondering why I wish to pursue a combined program, feel free to ask.

Well, here are my stats.

•Degrees Awarded:
-Bachelor's of Science in Electrical Engineering
-Bachelor's of Science in Biochemistry
-Minor in Bioengineering

•Institution Info:
-Overall GPA: 3.71
-Science GPA: 3.91
-Major GPA: 3.83
-4 year institutional GPA: 3.95
(The reason my overall is so much lower is because of my early performance at community college)

-Graduated in top 10% of class with Cum Laude.

•Extracurriculars:
-Member of Phi Delta Epsilon
-Member of the National Biomedical Engineering Society.
-Member of the Eureka Research Society

-4 month engineering internship.
-2 years of clinical volunteer work.
-2 month physician shadow internship.
-1 year clinical research internship.

•Research Experience:
-Wrote, defended, and published an original Honors Thesis.
-Conducted independent research for a year and a half. (This does include my Honors Thesis Research. If I include that, it is close to 3 years.)
-Conducted 4 months of directed research.
-1 Poster, 1 Publication

-SURF Fellowship Recipient.

•Test Scores:
-MCAT Score: 524
-GRE Score: 330

Those are my stats!

While I'm at it, I'll also post some of the schools I am looking at.

University of Minnesota, Harvard University, Northwestern University, University of Washington, Tufts University, University of Michigan, Vanderbilt University, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Colorado Denver, University of Rochester, Cornell University (Tri-Institutional), University of Maryland, University of Pittsburgh, Boston University, University of Utah, and the University of Miami

I appreciate any and all responses you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you a resident of? Many of the schools on your list such as Minnesota, Washington, Colorado and Utah are not kind to OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Throw in a compelling personal statement and apply high! I would apply to at least 6 or 7 top 20 schools with those stats depending on how many total schools you’re aiming to apply to. In terms of mid and low tier schools you may get yield protected from some. Check out MSAR to see which programs favor out of state applicants, and apply to your state programs. I would apply to a streamlined list of 20-25 schools if I was you just because the top schools can be a crap shoot at some point. No guarantees, but I think your app is top 20 material my friend!

Good luck!

Your list looks fine for your stats. MSTP does not have OOS preference (at least on paper), since its a federally funded program.
Whats your research interest?