Please help! Canadian med student thinking of working in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello wise folk,
I am a 3-rd year Medical student from Canada.
For personal reasons, I find myself considering eventually working in OZ.
Problem: difficult to find clear answers to my questions, which are the following:

1) If my MD degree is completed, can I apply to residency in Australia directly, or do I have to do the intenship year?
2) How challenging is it to get accepted into a post-graduate training program as an international graduate?
Realistically speaking, is it possible to get into the city, let alone hospital, of our choice?
What would be the milestones in becoming a fully trained doc, as an international medical graduate?
3) Even if I complete my residency in Australia, will I still fall victim to the mighty 10-year moratorium? If so, could I still manage to be somewhat near the city of my choice?
4) Would it be more beneficial to complete all my training in Canada, and then opt for the big move?
In this case, are there any advantages/disadvantages in doing GP training (I am not yet decided, but this is one of the specialties I'm considering).

To summarize, I am potentially considering 2 options: 1. moving for residency or 2. moving after residency

Any PROS/CONS for the options outlined as well as
any HELPFUL LINKS outlining STEPS for the application process
would be greatly APPRECIATED.

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello wise folk,
I am a 3-rd year Medical student from Canada.
For personal reasons, I find myself considering eventually working in OZ.
Problem: difficult to find clear answers to my questions, which are the following:

1) If my MD degree is completed, can I apply to residency in Australia directly, or do I have to do the intenship year?
2) How challenging is it to get accepted into a post-graduate training program as an international graduate?
Realistically speaking, is it possible to get into the city, let alone hospital, of our choice?
What would be the milestones in becoming a fully trained doc, as an international medical graduate?
3) Even if I complete my residency in Australia, will I still fall victim to the mighty 10-year moratorium? If so, could I still manage to be somewhat near the city of my choice?
4) Would it be more beneficial to complete all my training in Canada, and then opt for the big move?
In this case, are there any advantages/disadvantages in doing GP training (I am not yet decided, but this is one of the specialties I'm considering).

To summarize, I am potentially considering 2 options: 1. moving for residency or 2. moving after residency

Any PROS/CONS for the options outlined as well as
any HELPFUL LINKS outlining STEPS for the application process
would be greatly APPRECIATED.

Thank you!!!
Do you have Australian PR or citizenship (e.g. are you an Australian studying in Canada)?

Otherwise much more challenging.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au

What school are you at right now? If I had to guess, you would have to do the 1 year internship before residency if you choose to move after 4th year. But to me, it doesn't seem like a huge deal because you get paid for interning.