Please help me choose a Dental School. ~I didn't expect to have this problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU vs BU vs UMN vs IU Dental School

• New York University

• Boston University

• University of Minnesota

• Indiana University

Results are only viewable after voting.

MathGRL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I experienced a problem that I definitely didn't expect I would-especially because the pre-health committee at my school told me that I wouldn't be able to get in to dental school. I was fortunate enough to receive acceptances from multiple dental schools, and I would really appreciate your help in deciding which one to choose. I honestly loved them all and choosing is extremely difficult. I also want to make this decision quickly so I can release my spot to other students waiting! This is my final list: NYU, Boston University, University of Minnesota, Indiana University, University of Tennessee, and Kentucky University. Which would YOU choose? None of these are my state school.

Pro and Con list would be the most helpful. Thank you so much!!

Update: I have declined all these spots. Ended up getting accepted into my state school yesterday!!! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many of us may not have interviewed at all of those places, so it will be difficult for you to get a proper ranking from us. What is important to you? Do you want to be closer to home? Since you liked all of them equally, perhaps start weeding them out based on tuition? I interviewed at NYU and I can tell you that I didn't like the class size and I wasn't impressed by the facilities (and obviously the price tag).

Reactions: 1 users
Many of us may not have interviewed at all of those places, so it will be difficult for you to get a proper ranking from us. What is important to you? Do you want to be closer to home? Since you liked all of them equally, perhaps start weeding them out based on tuition? I interviewed at NYU and I can tell you that I didn't like the class size and I wasn't impressed by the facilities (and obviously the price tag).

All out of state dental schools are very expensive, unfortunately. The price tag in tuition is very similar (not considering living expenses). I really am intimidated by the class size at NYU; however, I did notice that the students were very happy. I think that is important to me, as well as clinical exposure, of course. All these institutions were amazing, but i guess that is what they want you to think after the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
All out of state dental school are a lot of money, unfortunately. The price tag in tuition is very similar (not considering living expenses). I really am intimidated by the class size at NYU; however, I did notice that the students were very happy. I think that is the most important thing for me and clinical exposure, of course.
Cost of living is also something to consider!

Nonetheless, congratulations on all your acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
Cost of living is also something to consider!

Nonetheless, congratulations on all your acceptances!

Thank you so much for your feedback. Good luck to you!

Go ask your pre-health committee! Lolz

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
If you say that tuition for those schools are about the same then I think Tennessee and Kentucky would have the lower cost of living? But again I did not apply to those 2 schools so I really don't know much. You can try asking in the specific school threads and maybe some current students can give you some insights. Anyways, congratulations on having that many acceptances! It's a great problem to have and you should be proud of yourself! :)

If you say that tuition for those schools are about the same then I think Tennessee and Kentucky would have the lower cost of living? But again I did not apply to those 2 schools so I really don't know much. You can try asking in the specific school threads and maybe some current students can give you some insights. Anyways, congratulations on having that many acceptances! It's a great problem to have and you should be proud of yourself! :)

Thank you! It's really hard comparing schools. They really make you feel great after the interview and all the students are all nice. I really just want to know which of these schools you would choose if you were in a similar situation, which I sincerely hope you will be in too.

Congratulations! the choice is yours but the only two of the programs you listed I expierenced are Indiana and Minnesota (OOS for both). I enjoyed both programs, but cost wise Minnesota has the advantage in my opinion being the cheaper of the two and I shadowed a general dentist who graduated from Minnesota this past decade (she was slightly biased) but highly recommended me to apply/attend there because she loved every aspect of her education there and the city.

good luck with your choice! I am sorting my acceptances by cost/vibe I felt during the interview process.

You have 6 options.. so roll the die.

Congratulations! Since I am not applying yet, my honest answer is NYU or Boston just because they are both in amazing cities! I am sure the other schools are good too!
Congratulations. Are you math too :) I am happy for you.
Tell us about your stats, gpa and dat scores and your situation if you don't mind , why your pre-health committee said you wouldn't get in?
I decided not to take the pre-health advisory appointment because I think they will see I don't have any shadowing experience yet, and not many hours of volunteering and they will dismiss me!

Congratulations! the choice is yours but the only two of the programs you listed I expierenced are Indiana and Minnesota (OOS for both). I enjoyed both programs, but cost wise Minnesota has the advantage in my opinion being the cheaper of the two and I shadowed a general dentist who graduated from Minnesota this past decade (she was slightly biased) but highly recommended me to apply/attend there because she loved every aspect of her education there and the city.

good luck with your choice! I am sorting my acceptances by cost/vibe I felt during the interview process.
I love Minnesota too, but are you sure OOS for Minn is cheaper than Indiana?

Members don't see this ad :)
you sure none of those state schools offer instate tuition after one year?

Congratulations! Since I am not applying yet, my honest answer is NYU or Boston just because they are both in amazing cities! I am sure the other schools are good too!
Tell us about your stats, gpa and dat scores and your situation if you don't mind , why your pre-health committee said you wouldn't get in?
I decided not to take the pre-health advisory appointment because I think they will see I don't have any shadowing experience yet, and not many hours of volunteering and they will dismiss me!
I second that, I'm curious to know as well.

Reactions: 2 users

I liked Minnesota a lot too. I really wanted to do it based on cost, but the cost really isn't too different for OOS. It would still be a substantial amount of money, no matter where I go. Most schools projected ~1/2 a million for all four years. The vibe is always great during the interview. All the students were so happy at all institutions. I truly believe that every school will give us the same experience. This is a really difficult decision.

you sure none of those state schools offer instate tuition after one year?
^^ This. I would definitely check to see if any will offer in-state tuition after a year. Some schools very specifically do not. That could make a big difference.

I liked Minnesota a lot too. I really wanted to do it based on cost, but the cost really isn't too different for OOS. It would still be a substantial amount of money, no matter where I go. Most schools projected ~1/2 a million for all four years. The vibe is always great during the interview. All the students were so happy at all institutions. I truly believe that every school will give us the same experience. This is a really difficult decision.

This is highly unlikely. Perhaps you feel that all schools will prepare you well to become a dentist, but your experience is going to vary drastically from school to school, depending on the curriculum, the students, the faculty, the patient pool, the facilities, and, of course, location. Sounds like it's time to make a good ol' pros and cons list (or if you're me, a full spread sheet with rows for every imaginable thing to consider) and see which one comes out on top. Good luck!!

Minnesota does not offer in-state to out of state people except in extenuating rare circumstances from what i've heard. Maybe marriage to MN resident or buying a house (maybe not even the house one).

Minnesota does not offer in-state to out of state people except in extenuating rare circumstances from what i've heard. Maybe marriage to MN resident or buying a house (maybe not even the house one).
Thank you for this.

^^ This. I would definitely check to see if any will offer in-state tuition after a year. Some schools very specifically do not. That could make a big difference.

This is highly unlikely. Perhaps you feel that all schools will prepare you well to become a dentist, but your experience is going to vary drastically from school to school, depending on the curriculum, the students, the faculty, the patient pool, the facilities, and, of course, location. Sounds like it's time to make a good ol' pros and cons list (or if you're me, a full spread sheet with rows for every imaginable thing to consider) and see which one comes out on top. Good luck!!

I wish I had started a spreadsheet a while ago during interviews. They all started to blend together after my first few. I can't even match up the labs, clinics, or classrooms of these institutions in my head from the tours.

I second that, I'm curious to know as well.

I don't want to share my stats until I decide on a school. However, I can say that my pre-health committee didn't think I would be admitted because I got a BS and MS in Mathematics. I didn't have the Biology/Chem background that they thought were necessary. Also, my undergrad GPA was not as high as others from my school. Additionally I established a career as a Biostatistician and they didn't think it was smart to gamble that.

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you! Are you studying math too? Below is my response to your question. Message me if you want specifics. Also please vote for the schools I have posted on this thread, if you have a chance. Much appreciated

I don't want to share my stats until I decide on a school. However, I can say that my pre-health committee didn't think I would be admitted because I got a BS and MS in Mathematics. I didn't have the Biology/Chem background that they thought were necessary. Also, my undergrad GPA was not as high as others from my school. Additionally I established a career as a Biostatistician and they didn't think it was smart to gamble that.

Can you please share your stats and your final decision. Also, can everyone else vote? I'm very curious of the outcome. Thank you

That is absolutely ridiculous. These committees and advisors seem to hardly ever know what they are talking about. Sorry to generalize, but I was once frustrated by advisors as well. Congrats and good luck making a decision!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That is absolutely ridiculous. These committees and advisors seem to hardly ever know what they are talking about. Sorry to generalize, but I was once frustrated by advisors as well. Congrats and good luck making a decision!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They really don't know. I applied thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere. Since I had a stable job, I really didn't put too much pressure on myself to get in and then everything turned out for the best. Thank you and I wish you good luck

They really don't know. I applied thinking I wouldn't get in anywhere. Since I had a stable job, I really didn't put too much pressure on myself to get in and then everything turned out for the best. Thank you and I wish you good luck
Have you narrowed it down any further?

Have you narrowed it down any further?

NYU and UMN are my top two now. My gut feeling is UMN, but I think NYU will open more doors after graduation. Plus I don't know how I feel about not using cadavers at NYU for anatomy. Do you have any advice?

NYU and UMN are my top two now. My gut feeling is UMN, but I think NYU will open more doors after graduation. Plus I don't know how I feel about not using cadavers at NYU for anatomy. Do you have any advice?
What's the price for UMN? Honestly, NYU is so expensive. And I don't know what you mean by "opening more doors after graduation."

Hi, may I ask you why do you like UMN? Are you concerned about the high OOS cost there?

What's the price for UMN? Honestly, NYU is so expensive. And I don't know what you mean by "opening more doors after graduation."

The tuition is scary everywhere. By opening more doors, I mean that I will have the opportunity to make a lot of connections and I'd be backed by a very well respected University. It truly is an amazing city. I just don't know what the dental program is like. I'm worried that there will be chaos in the lectures and clinic with all those students. I like organization in a program.

IN:
$434,496.54
MN:
$454,435.36
Boston:
$422,299.00
NYU
$498,184.00

Hi, may I ask you why do you like UMN? Are you concerned about the high OOS cost there?

I don't know, I liked the vibe. Although the city is small, there is still a lot to do. Also, I felt that the faculty and the staff were extremely supportive of their students. The students themselves were very close and worked together to succeed. The tuition is a lot everywhere (see post above).

The tuition is scary everywhere. By opening more doors, I mean that I will have the opportunity to make a lot of connections and I'd be backed by a very well respected University. It truly is an amazing city. I just don't know what the dental program is like. I'm worried that there will be chaos in the lectures and clinic with all those students. I like organization in a program.

IN:
$434,496.54
MN:
$454,435.36
Boston:
$422,299.00
NYU
$498,184.00

I understand what you mean now. Honestly, ~$45k is not the biggest difference, but it is substantial if you're making a decision based on "opening doors." UMN is a reputable program, and I don't think you'd by any means have a hard time finding a good job when you are a dentist. Remember, most patients don't know where you went or even care where you went as long as you're good at what you do. So I don't think it matters to be "backed by a very well respected University" whether it's NYU or UMN. Hope that helps.

I understand what you mean now. Honestly, ~$45k is not the biggest difference, but it is substantial if you're making a decision based on "opening doors." UMN is a reputable program, and I don't think you'd by any means have a hard time finding a good job when you are a dentist. Remember, most patients don't know where you went or even care where you went as long as you're good at what you do. So I don't think it matters to be "backed by a very well respected University" whether it's NYU or UMN. Hope that helps.

I'd like a program that supports their students and gives exceptional clinal experience. I think both programs will do that. NYU just has this odd reputation in the dental community that I guess I don't understand. I'm worried that with such a class size, I will just blend in and it will be harder to distinguish myself if i want to specialize. I just associate that program with chaos for some reason. It's in the best city and it has a very well-known name. I know the medical school is considered exceptional. I have no idea why my gut says UMN. I honestly don't think I can live in a small city, but I never have so who knows.

My impression from the NYU tour is that its incredibly difficult to specialize, and that NYC is saturated to the brim with dentists so its hard to practice there afterwards (and you won't earn as much salary). My two interview were in Case Western and NYU, and the plus of Ohio is that cost of living is low (buying a house is cheaper than renting!) and the fact that out there dentists get paid a TON more than in the NYC/California. If I go to NYU, it would be to plan to travel and set up shop in another state where I have a chance of making 150-200k and not the 80-90k a starting dentists would make in NYC. This is just from talking to dental students, not from my own research.

I don't know how accurate your remarks about specialization are, but I can see that. I probably wouldn't stay in NY after. I'm only really considering NYU because of the experience and the name of the institution. At the end of the day, the experience should be similar everywhere since all dental schools have the same requirement in clinic to graduate. Those don't vary across the board. This is why there is no official ranking of dental schools out there.

I'd like a program that supports their students and gives exceptional clinal experience. I think both programs will do that. NYU just has this odd reputation in the dental community that I guess I don't understand. I'm worried that with such a class size, I will just blend in and it will be harder to distinguish myself if i want to specialize. I just associate that program with chaos for some reason. It's in the best city and it has a very well-known name. I know the medical school is considered exceptional. I have no idea why my gut says UMN. I honestly don't think I can live in a small city, but I never have so who knows.

I also interviewed at NYU and was accepted. I just feel like it's too expensive, and there are too many students. It's going to be easy to slip through the cracks, I've heard that it happens to a good number of each class. You're right - it's got a fantastic name and you're going to be in one of the most exciting cities on Earth! You'll no doubt get a good education as long as you put in good effort.

You're going to get a good education at UMN, too! And maybe the name isn't as well known, but your patients won't care! Plus, smaller class size and cheaper. May not be the most exciting city to be in, but there is still stuff to do! You'll be too busy studying anyway. Maybe compensate and say you'll travel somewhere fun during dental school or for your first vacation as a dentist :)

I also interviewed at NYU and was accepted. I just feel like it's too expensive, and there are too many students. It's going to be easy to slip through the cracks, I've heard that it happens to a good number of each class. You're right - it's got a fantastic name and you're going to be in one of the most exciting cities on Earth! You'll no doubt get a good education as long as you put in good effort.

You're going to get a good education at UMN, too! And maybe the name isn't as well known, but your patients won't care! Plus, smaller class size and cheaper. May not be the most exciting city to be in, but there is still stuff to do! You'll be too busy studying anyway. Maybe compensate and say you'll travel somewhere fun during dental school or for your first vacation as a dentist :)

Thank you for this! Both those programs are good. I called them both yesterday to get more information. The NYU admissions person really wanted me to know that class size should not be a concern for NYU since he assured me that there will always be a 10:1 student:faculty ratio in all years. So I guess now my questions are: Which school helps their students specialize after? Is it harder to specialize at NYU? Even at UMN, the admissions person told me that specialization rate (for those actually applying) is 85%. I dont know how true this is though. This was her best estimation, but not an actual statistic. How is this information not available to us for all schools?

I know plenty of dentists from NYU. I really doubt NYU dental would open any door.

Thank you for this! Both those programs are good. I called them both yesterday to get more information. The NYU admissions person really wanted me to know that class size should not be a concern for NYU since he assured me that there will always be a 10:1 student:faculty ratio in all years. So I guess now my questions are: Which school helps their students specialize after? Is it harder to specialize at NYU? Even at UMN, the admissions person told me that specialization rate (for those actually applying) is 85%. I dont know how true this is though. This was her best estimation, but not an actual statistic. How is this information not available to us for all schools?

Class size should still be a concern for you. 10:1 doesn't mean anything to me. The fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, there are 380 of you, and that's problematic.

And being able to specialize is a summary of your efforts - your grades, research, how much effort you put into getting in touch with and making a good impression on faculty at your school, your extracurriculars, etc. You'll have no problems specializing at either school as long as you mold yourself into a solid applicant during dental school those 4 years.

Interim dean at UMN is awesome. Smart, interested in the students, approachable. UMN grads who have trained at my program very good. Because of class size, NYU more variable.

Interim dean at UMN is awesome. Smart, interested in the students, approachable. UMN grads who have trained at my program very good. Because of class size, NYU more variable.

Thank you for your insight. Would IU be just as good as UMN, if you don't mind me asking? Because NYU has such a large class size, would it be more difficult to match into a residency if I wanted to specialize?

Lol specializing out of NYU? You will have 20-30 NYU grads try to apply for one position.
Program director at one of the residency programs told me they had about 30 applications from NYU alone. Now theres only 8 spots. They took 2 out of the 30 NYU students and the rest were from assorted places, Stonybrook/Maryland/UCLA etc

Trust me do yourself a favor and go to MN if you want to specialize. Paying 500k for a school that has no advantages over any other school in specializing is dumb. Top 10% of NYU class have a chance at specializing. Even then theres just so many that directors are hesitant to take them.

Last edited:
Lol specializing out of NYU? You will have 20-30 NYU grads try to apply for one position.
Program director at one of the residency programs told me they had about 30 applications from NYU alone. Now theres only 8 spots. They took 2 out of the 30 NYU students and the rest were from assorted places, Stonybrook/Maryland/UCLA etc

Trust me do yourself a favor and go to MN if you want to specialize. Paying 500k for a school that has no advantages over any other school in specializing is dumb. Top 10% of NYU class have a chance at specializing. Even then theres just so many that directors are hesitant to take them.

Not sure what you are trying to say. There are lots of residency programs. NYC is the dental residency capital of the country. No one takes a whole post grad class form one school.

Not sure what you are trying to say. There are lots of residency programs. NYC is the dental residency capital of the country. No one takes a whole post grad class form one school.

That's what I'm saying. There's a limited amount of specialization seats and there's a large amount of NYU grads who want those seats. The specific program I'm talking about is a specialty program not GPR/AEGD. I know you are a PD in GPR, how many NYU applications do you get versus other schools? Who are you more likely to choose.

Let's say you get 2 applications from stonybrook and 20 from NYU. There's a chance you take all 2 of the stonybrook grads if they are truely impressive. There's absolutely no chance in hell you are taking all 20 from NYU even if they are just as impressive. There's not enough seats.

NYU costs as much as Ivy League schools that have a track record of sending people into highly competitive specializations. What makes NYU worth 500k over a state school? Nothing. Zero.

Last edited:
Define truly impressive. Stonybrook is P/F. There are only 34 students in the NYU class who will be in the top 10%. The rest will be in the larger less defined pool. There are plenty of post grad specialty seats for 34 students throughout the country. And not all post grad specialty programs take students right out of school. I would be more concerned coming from a new dental school with no proven track record. And each year qualified candidates with superior academic records are overlooked from lots of schools for any number of valid reasons. I would not be quick to single out NYU.

Stonybrook is 300k versus 500k NYU. Which is the better deal for dental school?

Uminn is cheaper than NYU as well. All im saying is NYU doesn't offer anything special for their price tag.

Stonybrook is 300k versus 500k NYU. Which is the better deal for dental school?

Uminn is cheaper than NYU as well. All im saying is NYU doesn't offer anything special for their price tag.

I am OOS for all the schools I've been accepted to, and UMN is the most expensive state school I've been admitted to. Overall, NYU~60k more than UMN over all four years. Since I am a midwesterner, I think I would feel more comfortable in MN. However, I would love the opportunity to study and live in NYC. I'm still very conflicted, both schools are so great.