Please help me rank these northeast programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gingerMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Could you please give me your opinions on the following programs? The only thing I am concerned about is how well they are recognized by other programs. If you can rank some of the programs, that will be very helpful.

Here they are:
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
St. luke's-Roosevelt Medical center
University of Vermont
Washington Hospital Center
SUNY-Downstate
Yale-Bridgeport
St. Barnabas (NJ)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

gingerMD said:
Hi,
Could you please give me your opinions on the following programs? The only thing I am concerned about is how well they are recognized by other programs. If you can rank some of the programs, that will be very helpful.

Here they are:
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
St. luke's-Roosevelt Medical center
University of Vermont
Washington Hospital Center
SUNY-Downstate
Yale-Bridgeport
St. Barnabas (NJ)

Thank you.

I am having my own issues so I sympathize. Here's my opinion (JUST MY opinion):

1. Yale
2. LIJ
3. SLR
4. U.Vt.
5. Downstate
6. St. Barnabas
7. Washington

Went by reputation and from what I have heard about these programs in terms of happiness, reputation, education, and such.

Vermont
SUNY Downstate
SLR
LIJ
St Barnabas
Yale-Bridgeport
Washington

but, go with your gut! None of us know how to rank for you as it is so arbitrary, especially my list ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Amygdali-lama and Tapout:
Thank you for letting me know your opinions. I am surprised to see that Washington Hospital Center is ranked the lowest by both of you. Is there something particularly bad about Washington Hospital Center? Being the largest hospital in DC, I did not expect it to be the worst in reputation on my list.

As you can tell from the list, I am not a competitve applicant and I want to do subspecialty fellowship. I really want to know which programs open more doors for me.

Anyone else knows some of my programs?

Thanks,

Vermont and SUNY Downstate are university-based programs, will help a tad-bit more for fellowship placement (only b/c research opportunities may be more abudant there), but in reality you can get a fellowship from any of these programs. 4th year medical students seem to over-emphasize the importance of residencies opening doors for you. That theory holds true for the very elite programs but YOU are the one who is going to open doors for yourself!!

Again, go where you will be happy and if they are all equal, go where you want to live. :luck: