PNWU Master of Arts in Medical Sciences 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emdocbound

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for the Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Program (MAMS) at Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU). Current MAMS student and recently accepted into the D.O. Program at PNWU. Please comment if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I just got accepted into this program. Would you recommend it? What is your weekly schedule like? Do you like the campus? Did a lot of your class get admitted? How do you like Yakima? It looks beautiful in photos. Thanks in advance! Congrats on your acceptance to medical school!

Hello! I just got accepted into this program. Would you recommend it? What is your weekly schedule like? Do you like the campus? Did a lot of your class get admitted? How do you like Yakima? It looks beautiful in photos. Thanks in advance! Congrats on your acceptance to medical school!
Hi there! Would you be able to let me know when you submitted your app and how long it took for you to hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! Would you be able to let me know when you submitted your app and how long it took for you to hear back?
Hi! I submitted my app in early October, and I just heard back today!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I would defintiely recommend it, especially if you haven't been in academia for a couple of years. The program is a great way to "get back in the groove" of studying and to experiement with different study techniques before you actually start medical school. It's also such a great way to get to know the professors and the community. Our weekly schedule varies. Fall semester, I would say we were on campus 5 days a week 8 am - 5pm. Classes wouldn't always be through that entire time, so they'd be interpersed throughout the day! At least that's the schedule I kept to keep my home a rest and relaxation place! The course-load significantly decreases after SciFOM fall semester (November). This semester we have class three days a week. The campus facilities are super nice and the campus community is a caring and supportive environment in my experience. The faculty are great! Admissions are still rolling, but I would say we're on the same track as the percentages Heritage and PNWU post for this program. What I'll say about Yakima, is that it grows on you. There's hiking all over, amazing coffee, and you can't get better for breweries if that's something you're into.

Thanks for your response! That's a really nice schedule. I keep seeing the SciFOM class referenced. Is the class mainly biology/chemistry/biochem based? What does the testing schedule look like? I also love all of the things listed above, so I'm guessing I would not mind Yakima haha sorry for all the questions, but I am grateful to have someone to ask.

SciFOM is a scientific foundations course that features content in biologiy/chemistry/biochem/microbiology. Test schedule is dependent on the class! And I'm happy to answer any questions!

Hello! I would defintiely recommend it, especially if you haven't been in academia for a couple of years. The program is a great way to "get back in the groove" of studying and to experiement with different study techniques before you actually start medical school. It's also such a great way to get to know the professors and the community. Our weekly schedule varies. Fall semester, I would say we were on campus 5 days a week 8 am - 5pm. Classes wouldn't always be through that entire time, so they'd be interpersed throughout the day! At least that's the schedule I kept to keep my home a rest and relaxation place! The course-load significantly decreases after SciFOM fall semester (November). This semester we have class three days a week. The campus facilities are super nice and the campus community is a caring and supportive environment in my experience. The faculty are great! Admissions are still rolling, but I would say we're on the same track as the percentages Heritage and PNWU post for this program. What I'll say about Yakima, is that it grows on you. There's hiking all over, amazing coffee, and you can't get better for breweries if that's something you're into.
Hey! I assume you are in the program, if so do you know how many MAMS students from your class will matriculate into a DO school this fall? My worst fear is doing the MAMS and then not getting in to any DO school ..... Thanks!

I was recently accepted into MAMS! Looking forward to starting this new chapter. Any people in the Seattle area want to get a beer before the start of classes?

Hey! I assume you are in the program, if so do you know how many MAMS students from your class will matriculate into a DO school this fall? My worst fear is doing the MAMS and then not getting in to any DO school ..... Thanks!
Hey there! Congratulations on your acceptance! I am a current MAMS student. If you still have questions about the program I can answer them just DM me!

Last edited:
Hello!! I was Recently accepted and was wondering if anyone knew how easy/hard it is to get housing in Yakima?

Hello!! I was Recently accepted and was wondering if anyone knew how easy/hard it is to get housing in Yakima?
Congratulations on your acceptance! To be honest last year it was pretty difficult to get an apartment/house at a decent price. I would sign up for the University Parkway Apartments Group on FB and try to take over someone's lease if you want to stay close to school University Parkway Apartments - Residents | Facebook. There are other apartment complexes or even duplexes/houses depending on where you want to live available that you can drive from like Castle Creek, a no name apartments in downtown Yakima, etc. Apartments get rented quickly so if you find one you like rent it right away. I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it always take 4 weeks after you send in all of your materials to hear back?

This thread is for the Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Program (MAMS) at Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU). Current MAMS student and recently accepted into the D.O. Program at PNWU. Please comment if you have any questions!
Hello could I PM some questions regarding the program, thanks so much!

how many total seats are there?
The program aims to fill around 40 seats.
Usually the last seats are filled in July.

They would like to get everyone accepted to the COM, past trends has been about 70-80% of the MAMS class.

Housing in general is a challenge for Yakima, testing schedule is roughly every 2-4 weeks, I forget the specific schedule for SciFoM.

Doing well in SciFoM, >85%, is probably the most significant predictor of acceptance.

Does anyone have experience with looking for an apartment/studio in Yakima near the school? I’ve never rent before during undergrad so I’m super inexperienced. If you can recommend some websites to start with, it’ll be a big help. Thank you.

Hi this is always a good link to start. Craiglist, Apartments.com, and MAMS Class facebook pages are also great resources

Does anyone have experience with looking for an apartment/studio in Yakima near the school? I’ve never rent before during undergrad so I’m super inexperienced. If you can recommend some websites to start with, it’ll be a big help. Thank you.
University Parkway Apartments are right next to campus (walking distance/trail).
Get on their waitlist asap.
Join the MAMS facebook group, 3rd years are heading off to rotations, there might be some last minute shuffling.

Hi! I just got accepted to the program yesterday, and am a little overwhelmed with the transitioning and finding housing in only 3 weeks. Does anyone have advice? I’m part of the Facebook group but because I’m so late in the game, it’s tough to find availability.

Got a call today at 12:30 for acceptance to the MAMS program for Fall 2023.