This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denraham

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a 24 yo female, new to SDN, and have now decided to apply to dental school.

I have been working for the past 2 years as a medical assistant, since graduating. I recently quit my job to study for the DAT and prepare/strengthen my applications.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to get into dental schools, without a post-bacch?
(Will I be limited to a small number of schools? Anyone know of any specific schools that place less emphasis on GPA?)
2. What can I do to strengthen my applications, given my credentials and future plans.

My current credentials:

Rutgers University - New Brunswick, Sept. 2009 - Jan. 2014
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology

BCP GPA: 3.10
Science GPA: 3.10
Non-Science GPA: 3.75
Cumulative/Overall GPA: 3.36

4 Strong recommendation letters:
- 1 from orthopaedic surgeon at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases (I was his clinical research assistant for 2 summers while in school)
- 1 from a neurologist (I was his medical assistant for 2 years after graduating)
- 1 from my Genetics professor
- 1 from my Biology professor

I have consistently been building my volunteering/community service experience. (none related to dentistry)

My Plan: Get a competitive DAT score and gain dental experience

1.Jan - March: Take the DAT in mid-March
- Study full time (~ 8-10 hrs/day) for 2.5 months (take after averaging just below 30 on all practice tests)
2. April: Start gaining dental experience & strengthen application
- (Ideally) Start work as dental assistant to reputable practice in NYC
- Shadow dentists in other fields (?)
- Figure out which schools I can apply to
3. May - June: (When applications start becoming available): Start filling out apps
- Send applications ASAP
4. June - August 2017 or until starting dental school (14 months): Continue strengthening applications
- Continue working and shadowing (Is there anything else I can do?)

Additionally, Is there anything else I should consider or change? Any ideas? Any help or opinion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

--Again, my main questions were--
1. Is it possible to get into dental schools, without a post-bacch?
(Will I be limited to a small number of schools? Anyone know of any specific schools that place less emphasis on GPA?)
2. What can I do to strengthen my applications, given my credentials and future plans.

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible to get into dental school without a post bach..but your science GPA and overall gpa worry me a bit
a competitive science and overall gpa is 3.5 or higher

However----if you do really well on DAT you have a great chance!

I suggest you start shadowing before a april..Try to get atleast a 100 hours from general dentists (I would start now)

Your letters of recs:
-Most schools want 2 science and 1 non science
-Bio and gen profs seem fine.
-your 3rd one could be from a dentist or one of the ones you listed

Seems like you have a lot of work experience and its great that you have been focusing on volunteering as well

Because you were a medical assistant, were you pre med before? you may get asked about that at the interview (not completely sure)

Goodluck! everything else seems great

Reactions: 1 user
Its going to be difficult with the gpa but a friend of mine was accepted to Rutgers with a 3.1 and a 20 DAT on Dec 1 and another at Tufts with a 3.1/23 DAT so it's doable. I would start getting dental exp immediately through shadowing even if it's only once every other week and ask for a LOR. Most schools want to see a LOR from a dentist esp. since you are coming from the medical field. Apply broadly, show passion for dentistry in your PS and follow up with schools to let them know you are interested in their programs. And of course, getting a killer DAT is going to help immensely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like starting to first shadow by April is cutting it real close to June when the application opens. I'm sure you'll be able to build enough by June, but doesn't it look kind of hurried and suspicious that you just started to get dental experience 2 months before it's time to apply (especially paired with your longer commitment to your medical background. If I was looking at your application, I'd think dental school was your second choice and you gathered your hours last minute)? Also note that some schools require an LOR from a general dentist. Do you think you'll be able to build a good enough relationship in a short span of time with the dentist you'll shadow in order to gain a great letter? Just some things to consider. I would start shadowing now, even if it's just once a week for a few hours. At least the hours will accumulate over a longer period of time.

It is possible to get into dental school without a post bach..but your science GPA and overall gpa worry me a bit
a competitive science and overall gpa is 3.5 or higher

However----if you do really well on DAT you have a great chance!

I suggest you start shadowing before a april..Try to get atleast a 100 hours from general dentists (I would start now)

Your letters of recs:
-Most schools want 2 science and 1 non science
-Bio and gen profs seem fine.
-your 3rd one could be from a dentist or one of the ones you listed

Seems like you have a lot of work experience and its great that you have been focusing on volunteering as well

Because you were a medical assistant, were you pre med before? you may get asked about that at the interview (not completely sure)

Goodluck! everything else seems great

Thank you so much for your input and advice!! I really really appreciate it.

I knew I wanted to do something in healthcare but I really wasn't sure what. I was also considering a post-bacc then medical school but decided dental school (without a post-bacc if possible) would be best for me.

I just have a few more questions if you have the time.. You said most schools want 2 science and 1 nonscience professors for LORs but my bio and gen profs seem fine and the third should be from a working professional? Did you mean 1 science and 1 nonscience? Shouldn't there be 3 recommendations in total?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you a current dental student/graduated/ or applying?

Thanks again!!:)

Its going to be difficult with the gpa but a friend of mine was accepted to Rutgers with a 3.1 and a 20 DAT on Dec 1 and another at Tufts with a 3.1/23 DAT so it's doable. I would start getting dental exp immediately through shadowing even if it's only once every other week and ask for a LOR. Most schools want to see a LOR from a dentist esp. since you are coming from the medical field. Apply broadly, show passion for dentistry in your PS and follow up with schools to let them know you are interested in their programs. And of course, getting a killer DAT is going to help immensely.

Thank you so much for responding Syntav! It's really encouraging to hear that your friends were able to get into such good programs with GPAs that are similar to mine. I actually just reached out to someone I know who has a practice nearby.. Hopefully I cant start shadowing him.

Would you also, by any chance, know how accurate this dental school ranking app is? http://dental-schools.startclass.com/ Or if I should rely on it to see which school I might be able to apply to, depending on my DAT score? I'm seeing that Rutgers, Tufts, and other schools of similar status usually accept GPAs around 3.4-3.5 and DAT scores around 20-22. I'm wondering if your friends were the few exceptions that made it in.. and I would most likely be overlooked unless I strengthen my apps by having some unconventional qualificiations (besides shadowing, volunteering, dental experience). Did your friends do something extra to make their apps stand out some how?

Also, if you know of another tool besides that ranking site, that I should utilize to see which schools I might be able to leverage a higher DAT score to be considered, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again for your help! I will research into Tufts and Rutgers when applying to schools!

I feel like starting to first shadow by April is cutting it real close to June when the application opens. I'm sure you'll be able to build enough by June, but doesn't it look kind of hurried and suspicious that you just started to get dental experience 2 months before it's time to apply (especially paired with your longer commitment to your medical background. If I was looking at your application, I'd think dental school was your second choice and you gathered your hours last minute)? Also note that some schools require an LOR from a general dentist. Do you think you'll be able to build a good enough relationship in a short span of time with the dentist you'll shadow in order to gain a great letter? Just some things to consider. I would start shadowing now, even if it's just once a week for a few hours. At least the hours will accumulate over a longer period of time.

Thank you for your helpful advice @okiedokeartichoke ! (haha love your avatar and username btw)

Luckily, I just got in contact with someone who I may be able to start shadowing next week!

I thought I wanted to pursue medical school, but was never sure. I spent the last 2 months exploring as many careers as possible before deciding that dental school was the best choice for me. I felt like I would be the happiest with the job responsibilities (don't think I can handle patients that I build relationships with dying so frequently - like I may have had to deal with as an MD). My passion is in helping people and I would love to do that through dentistry. My long term dream is to be able to provide free dental care for those who need it (maybe even internationally!).

Thank you again for your help and if you don't mind me asking, are you currently a dental student/graduate/or planning on applying?

Thank you for your helpful advice @okiedokeartichoke ! (haha love your avatar and username btw)

Luckily, I just got in contact with someone who I may be able to start shadowing next week!

I thought I wanted to pursue medical school, but was never sure. I spent the last 2 months exploring as many careers as possible before deciding that dental school was the best choice for me. I felt like I would be the happiest with the job responsibilities (don't think I can handle patients that I build relationships with dying so frequently - like I may have had to deal with as an MD). My passion is in helping people and I would love to do that through dentistry. My long term dream is to be able to provide free dental care for those who need it (maybe even internationally!).

Thank you again for your help and if you don't mind me asking, are you currently a dental student/graduate/or planning on applying?

Haha, thanks! I say okiedokes through text a lot, so I figured this avatar and username were fitting. And that's awesome! The sooner you start shadowing, the better. I'm still a pre-dental student, and I'm planning on applying the same cycle as you, June 2016. I graduated from college in May 2015, so I've been taking a gap year to do some post-bacc classes actually to raise my GPA since it's not so hot either. I've also been gaining more dental experience. I'll be studying for the DAT as well. Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for responding Syntav! It's really encouraging to hear that your friends were able to get into such good programs with GPAs that are similar to mine. I actually just reached out to someone I know who has a practice nearby.. Hopefully I cant start shadowing him.

Would you also, by any chance, know how accurate this dental school ranking app is? http://dental-schools.startclass.com/ Or if I should rely on it to see which school I might be able to apply to, depending on my DAT score? I'm seeing that Rutgers, Tufts, and other schools of similar status usually accept GPAs around 3.4-3.5 and DAT scores around 20-22. I'm wondering if your friends were the few exceptions that made it in.. and I would most likely be overlooked unless I strengthen my apps by having some unconventional qualificiations (besides shadowing, volunteering, dental experience). Did your friends do something extra to make their apps stand out some how?

Also, if you know of another tool besides that ranking site, that I should utilize to see which schools I might be able to leverage a higher DAT score to be considered, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again for your help! I will research into Tufts and Rutgers when applying to schools!

It's not accurate in terms of rank but the GPA/DAT averages seem right. I would get the ADEA official guide to dental schools for the real numbers and info on each school. Yeah those two friends were exceptions but there are still many who score above and below the averages ranged for each school. They were both passionate and had lots of dental experience.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks! I say okiedokes through text a lot, so I figured this avatar and username were fitting. And that's awesome! The sooner you start shadowing, the better. I'm still a pre-dental student, and I'm planning on applying the same cycle as you, June 2016. I graduated from college in May 2015, so I've been taking a gap year to do some post-bacc classes actually to raise my GPA since it's not so hot either. I've also been gaining more dental experience. I'll be studying for the DAT as well. Good luck to you!

Awesome!! Thank you and good luck to you too! (How crazy would it be if we ended up in the same program.. haha)

Can I ask how you plan to study for the DAT? Do you know if there is a popular study plan out there that people have followed and done well? I am still researching at the moment..

Thanks again @okiedokeartichoke :)

Thank you so much for your input and advice!! I really really appreciate it.

I knew I wanted to do something in healthcare but I really wasn't sure what. I was also considering a post-bacc then medical school but decided dental school (without a post-bacc if possible) would be best for me.

I just have a few more questions if you have the time.. You said most schools want 2 science and 1 nonscience professors for LORs but my bio and gen profs seem fine and the third should be from a working professional? Did you mean 1 science and 1 nonscience? Shouldn't there be 3 recommendations in total?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you a current dental student/graduated/ or applying?

Thanks again!!:)

I will DM you, you can ask me anything. Id be glad to help.

Awesome!! Thank you and good luck to you too! (How crazy would it be if we ended up in the same program.. haha)

Can I ask how you plan to study for the DAT? Do you know if there is a popular study plan out there that people have followed and done well? I am still researching at the moment..

Thanks again @okiedokeartichoke :)

Pretty crazy indeed haha. We shall see what 2016 brings us! I'll PM you sometime tomorrow with more information.

With your stats, it sounds doable. I'd aim for a 21+ in your case, to be on the safe side. Apply by June and you should be fine. Good luck!

With your stats, it sounds doable. I'd aim for a 21+ in your case, to be on the safe side. Apply by June and you should be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Are you a predental student as well or current dental student, if you don't mind me asking?

No problem. I'm predental, was accepted at NYU last month. My strategy was similar to yours, using the DAT to help boost my application. If you want suggestions for study materials, feel free to PM me.