This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonesam91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if the title of this thread seems confusing, but I have a few questions. I am a URM (Black Woman, 26) and I finally decided to pursue my original dream of becoming a physician. I graduate in June with my Bachelors in Health Science (finally), but it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to take organic chem I and II this summer due to program costs out of pocket. That’s the only class I need in order to successfully fill the requirements for a SMP (I have physics, gen chem, A&P 1 & 2, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want to just take classes in the fall at a local college, I want to be apart of a program that betters my application for medical school. I’ve been searching programs but to no avail. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me if the title of this thread seems confusing, but I have a few questions. I am a URM (Black Woman, 26) and I finally decided to pursue my original dream of becoming a physician. I graduate in June with my Bachelors in Health Science (finally), but it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to take organic chem I and II this summer due to program costs out of pocket. That’s the only class I need in order to successfully fill the requirements for a SMP (I have physics, gen chem, A&P 1 & 2, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want to just take classes in the fall at a local college, I want to be apart of a program that betters my application for medical school. I’ve been searching programs but to no avail. Any help is appreciated!

You unfortunately won't be able to find a post-bacc program if you only have one pre-req course to take. An option could be to do one of the master's programs (tufts, georgetown are the ones I'm most familiar with) if your GPA/MCAT combo isn't where you'd like it to be. Those are typically very academically rigorous and tend to be done by applicants with at least one failed cycle already, though. My advice would be to spend a year taking that class at a local college, doing some clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and taking the MCAT. You don't need to spend an extra 10k for a program to tell you that.

Reactions: 1 user
You unfortunately won't be able to find a post-bacc program if you only have one pre-req course to take. An option could be to do one of the master's programs (tufts, georgetown are the ones I'm most familiar with) if your GPA/MCAT combo isn't where you'd like it to be. Those are typically very academically rigorous and tend to be done by applicants with at least one failed cycle already, though. My advice would be to spend a year taking that class at a local college, doing some clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and taking the MCAT. You don't need to spend an extra 10k for a program to tell you that.

Thank you. I have been a CNA for 5 years and have been working as such. I just didn’t want to feel complacent by staying in my state. I have a lot of family distractions, and I don’t want to sit out of school longer than I should. I will definitely look into those schools though. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I have been a CNA for 5 years and have been working as such. I just didn’t want to feel complacent by staying in my state. I have a lot of family distractions, and I don’t want to sit out of school longer than I should. I will definitely look into those schools though. Thank you so much!

It's all good. As someone who paid the extra money for a formal program, though, all they really provided was some shadowing/research/clinical volunteering activities to go along with the classes. Nothing you couldn't do on your own. Assuming your GPA is ok, your first and last priorities should be crushing orgo and then crushing the MCAT. The forums here (particularly for the MCAT) have some great resources if you need help on creating a schedule or figuring out where to start. Alternatively you can spend the money you save not doing a formal post-bacc on an MCAT course.

It's all good. As someone who paid the extra money for a formal program, though, all they really provided was some shadowing/research/clinical volunteering activities to go along with the classes. Nothing you couldn't do on your own. Assuming your GPA is ok, your first and last priorities should be crushing orgo and then crushing the MCAT. The forums here (particularly for the MCAT) have some great resources if you need help on creating a schedule or figuring out where to start. Alternatively you can spend the money you save not doing a formal post-bacc on an MCAT course.

My undergraduate gpa will be right at a 3.0, so definitely not strong enough to apply to any med school. Am I still good to just take orgo and study for the MCAT or should I take more classes to boost my overall GPA?

If you need a single class, taking it at some "named" program will not add to your application.

That’s true. I just wanted to get a high graduate GPA since my undergrad gpa wasn’t strong at all.