This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catherine18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in undergrad and am hoping to get into DO school. I have some bad grades from previous semesters, no clinical experience, and very few extracurriculars since high school. Right now my chances to getting into DO school are slim to none. I am currently working on getting clinical and volunteer experience, but I am still worried that the two years I have left of undergrad to work on all of this will not be enough to get me accepted into med school.

I am looking into post-bacc programs, but if I did decide to do that, if it is at all possible, I would want to try studying abroad. Does anyone know of any good post-bacc programs abroad? Is it unwise to study abroad or will it lessen my chances to be accepted into med school?

Any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not recommended since it may or may not be proven that the program is rigorous enough for adcom to see.
I recommend doing a grade replacement at cc. Take courses that you have Cs and apply for DO. With grade replacement, it is a faster way to boost that GPA up if you are weak at it.

Hello!

I am also interested in this question. I am in my final year of college, but I am wanting to do a career change. I would love to go abroad to complete my post bacc. Are there any programs overseas that satisfy the pre-med requirements.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I am also interested in this question. I am in my final year of college, but I am wanting to do a career change. I would love to go abroad to complete my post bacc. Are there any programs overseas that satisfy the pre-med requirements.

Thank you!
Can't recommend this. If you want to go to med school in the US, take US college courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Not recommended since it may or may not be proven that the program is rigorous enough for adcom to see.
I recommend doing a grade replacement at cc. Take courses that you have Cs and apply for DO. With grade replacement, it is a faster way to boost that GPA up if you are weak at it.
Pretty sure they got rid of grade replacement, no?

The whole point of doing a post-bacc is to show that you can shine in a US med school program taking the same classes as US medical students. What do you think ADCOMs can deduce from doing it abroad? It will only show that you can shine at a program abroad which most likely uses a curriculum completely different than that of any US Med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a junior in undergrad and am hoping to get into DO school. I have some bad grades from previous semesters, no clinical experience, and very few extracurriculars since high school. Right now my chances to getting into DO school are slim to none. I am currently working on getting clinical and volunteer experience, but I am still worried that the two years I have left of undergrad to work on all of this will not be enough to get me accepted into med school.

I am looking into post-bacc programs, but if I did decide to do that, if it is at all possible, I would want to try studying abroad. Does anyone know of any good post-bacc programs abroad? Is it unwise to study abroad or will it lessen my chances to be accepted into med school?

Any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated.

I would toss a blanket 'no' on this unless there were extenuating circumstances. Granted, if Oxford has a post-pac (and I have no idea if that is the case) than it is certainly different than a random Carribean program.

But be very cautious and do tons of research and screening if you are considering it.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I think this is a bad idea. Doing well in a post-bacc abroad tells them nothing about your potential in a US med school. The only way to prove you can do well in a US med school is to do a US post-bacc.