This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_real_sim_shady

Reaction score
I need help deciding whether post bacc or an SMP is the best option for me to get into medical school. I graduated from a higher end university in 2019 with a cGPA of 2.5 and sGPA of 2.4. Since then, I’ve been taking all science classes (44 credits) via an informal post bacc (retaking pre reqs as well as taking higher level undergrad courses) with a GPA of 3.8. Due to the amount of credits I took during undergrad, I would need another 50 or so credits to get my cGPA up to a 3.0. I have been accepted to Case Western's post bacc as well Rutgers NJMS's Masters of Biomedical Science program and am wondering which type of program would be best for an applicant like me. I am having trouble deciding whether I should keep working towards getting my undergrad GPA up or if I have taken enough undergrad credits since graduating and would now benefit from proving that I can handle grad/med school coursework. For reference I have extensive clinical hours volunteering and working as well as research but no publications. I have not yet taken the MCAT. Also I am female ORM if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

DIY post bacc: more flexible, cheaper (especially through local CCs), will get the job done.
SMP: costly, high risk vs high reward, Consider it a last resort play.

You have already shown reinvention GPA wise taking 44 hours at a 3.8 (consider that your new GPA). You can easily apply to schools that reward reinvention and don't screen for GPA. At this point, if you obtain a good MCAT score, I believe you have a good chance at receiving some IIs as long as the rest of your application looks good. try posting a WAMC after you get your MCAT score.

If you insist on boosting your GPA further, I would recommend sticking to the post bacc route.

I need help deciding whether post bacc or an SMP is the best option for me to get into medical school. I graduated from a higher end university in 2019 with a cGPA of 2.5 and sGPA of 2.4. Since then, I’ve been taking all science classes (44 credits) via an informal post bacc (retaking pre reqs as well as taking higher level undergrad courses) with a GPA of 3.8. Due to the amount of credits I took during undergrad, I would need another 50 or so credits to get my cGPA up to a 3.0. I have been accepted to Case Western's post bacc as well Rutgers NJMS's Masters of Biomedical Science program and am wondering which type of program would be best for an applicant like me. I am having trouble deciding whether I should keep working towards getting my undergrad GPA up or if I have taken enough undergrad credits since graduating and would now benefit from proving that I can handle grad/med school coursework. For reference I have extensive clinical hours volunteering and working as well as research but no publications. I have not yet taken the MCAT. Also I am female ORM if that makes a difference.

Before even starting an SMP, you should have everything on your application squared away besides GPA (and possibly MCAT).

If it were me, I would just go with the Rutgers SMP. Reason being, you have showed to reinvent yourself. Even if you got you uGPA to a 3.0, it wouldn't be much different than where you are now. Everyone thinks you need a 3.0, it's more about your GPA trend and that you have shown a high gpa for 1-2 years, which you have done with 44 credits at a 3.8. Many schools now a days put more weight into your last 60 credits and/or don't really screen for a 3.0 anymore. You just need to be strategic on where you apply, in addition to applying broadly.

You will just gain a lot more by doing an SMP for 1 year, rather than doing another 2 years of undergrad. Of course, you need to remember it is a high risk-high reward type of program. Do well and you will likely get into medical school, do poorly and your path to med school may very well be over.
Think of an SMP like an audition to medical school in this sense. It also can be quite costly, but I like to view an SMP as being 5 years with med school.

Rutgers has a much better linkage agreement than case western (you won't meet the linkage agreement for Case Western - they have an uGPA component), although I would try to take the MCAT (and do well) before the start of the program. If it's not possible and you are okay with another gap year, make sure to do well on the MCAT before applying to Rutgers med school, in taking advantage of their conditional interview. You need a 508 MCAT (127 x 4) and a 3.6 GPA in the program I believe.