This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boston University MAMS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Thank you for your interest in the MAMS program. Please feel free to use this space to ask any questions that you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

what is the average applicant GPA/MCAT requirement that a student receives acceptance to BU's program?

what is the average applicant GPA/MCAT requirement that a student receives acceptance to BU's program?

Our ideal applicant has at least a 3.0 overall GPA, 50th percentile on the MCAT or a GRE quantitative score of 70th percentile or higher. However, Boston University uses a holistic review process for applications, so it does not always come down to just numbers. MAMS will accept people below this- this is not a cutoff, just an average. Letters of recommendation, life experiences, and personal statements all play a large role.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our ideal applicant has at least a 3.0 overall GPA, 50th percentile on the MCAT or a GRE quantitative score of 70th percentile or higher. However, Boston University uses a holistic review process for applications, so it does not always come down to just numbers. MAMS will accept people below this- this is not a cutoff, just an average. Letters of recommendation, life experiences, and personal statements all play a large role.
if you don't have a 50th percentile MCAT score would you recommend taking the GRE? or retaking the MCAT? or not apply?

if you don't have a 50th percentile MCAT score would you recommend taking the GRE? or retaking the MCAT? or not apply?

We use a holistic process, so those numbers are not hard cutoffs but rather an average. I would make an appointment to speak with the program director, Dr. Offner. She will be able to give you more precise advice on your individual background!

I've noticed that the GRE Requirement for the program is a "no" in the GRE Program Requirement page on the site. Would the lack of a GRE score affect my application(I do not have an MCAT score in place of the GRE either)?

Hello! I'm applying to the BU MAMS program this cycle. When do you start reviewing apps? And following, how soon afterwards can we expect an admissions decision? Thank you!

I've noticed that the GRE Requirement for the program is a "no" in the GRE Program Requirement page on the site. Would the lack of a GRE score affect my application(I do not have an MCAT score in place of the GRE either)?

Hi! Either a GRE or an MCAT score are required to apply for the program.

Hello! I'm applying to the BU MAMS program this cycle. When do you start reviewing apps? And following, how soon afterwards can we expect an admissions decision? Thank you!

Hello! Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We recommend you apply before June 1. Decision notifications are sent out beginning in February and continue as applications are received through August.

Hello. I am set to graduate from my undergrad this coming May (2019). I am also taking the MCAT in April. Is submitting my application in May too late for any real consideration into the program or would I have to wait for the following year (2020) to apply?

Hello. I am set to graduate from my undergrad this coming May (2019). I am also taking the MCAT in April. Is submitting my application in May too late for any real consideration into the program or would I have to wait for the following year (2020) to apply?

Hi! If I'm taking the MCAT in March, should I wait to send in my complete application until I have my MCAT score? Or can I send in my application before then, and just send in my MCAT score as soon as I have it?

For these particular situations, I would recommend taking the GRE if you're serious about attending MAMS. I would say getting an MCAT score back in May would probably be on the late side and there may only be few, if any, spots left. Your application will not be complete or reviewed until we have a score for either the GRE or the MCAT. The GRE gives you the score right away, and won't affect your med school application so I generally recommend that option for situations like this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am very interested in BU MAMS. I noticed the website specifically states that , “standardized test scores are preferred , but applicants without test scores will still be considered”.

Would it best to apply early, with no test scores, or late with an MCAT score(would take late March early April)? I’m interested in matriculating after year one of MAMS if accepted so taking the MCAT instead of the GRE makes more sense for me.

I have reached out to Dr. Offner To review my individual situation and resume in a meeting and am waiting for a response.

Thanks all!

Hi all,

I am very interested in BU MAMS. I noticed the website specifically states that , “standardized test scores are preferred , but applicants without test scores will still be considered”.

Would it best to apply early, with no test scores, or late with an MCAT score(would take late March early April)? I’m interested in matriculating after year one of MAMS if accepted so taking the MCAT instead of the GRE makes more sense for me.

I have reached out to Dr. Offner To review my individual situation and resume in a meeting and am waiting for a response.

Thanks all!

We generally recommend taking the GRE in cases like this but I would talk to Dr. Offner about your particular situation if you are considering applying without a standardized test score. Getting an MCAT score back in May would probably be on the late side and there may only be few, if any, spots left. The GRE gives you the score right away, and won't affect your med school application.

Hi,

I was recently admitted to BU MAMS, and I was wondering if I could have a little more information regarding program outcomes such as matriculation rate into medical school, and what percentage of BU MAMS students receive interviews to the BUSM and what percentage get admitted.

Thanks

Hi,

I was recently admitted to BU MAMS, and I was wondering if I could have a little more information regarding program outcomes such as matriculation rate into medical school, and what percentage of BU MAMS students receive interviews to the BUSM and what percentage get admitted.

Thanks

Hello! First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into MAMS! 85% of MAMS students with a 3.5 or higher in the program are admitted into either an MD or DO program. Unfortunately, we do not have stats on the percentage of MAMS students who interview at BUSM and are admitted.

Hello! First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into MAMS! 85% of MAMS students with a 3.5 or higher in the program are admitted into either an MD or DO program. Unfortunately, we do not have stats on the percentage of MAMS students who interview at BUSM and are admitted.

Thanks for the quick reply! I saw on last years thread that BU MAMS students applications are considered separately from other applicants, is this still the case?

Thanks for the quick reply! I saw on last years thread that BU MAMS students applications are considered separately from other applicants, is this still the case?

Yes definitely! MAMS applications are considered in a separate pool from the other ~10,000 applicants - which is a huge plus!

Could you clarify what it means to be considered separately?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MAMS student applications are flagged and reviewed separately from the general applicant pool. Roughly 60% of MAMS students will receive an interview, and around 20 students will be accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Thanks all!

Hi, I saw that you were recently accepted into the program. I am on the same page--wanting to apply now but haven't taken the MCAT/GRE and wouldn't until later in the year and wondering what is best...ie, to apply without test score early, like in the next week, or to apply after taking a test. I have a cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.63 for more info.

Thank you, and congrats on admission.

Do students who have completed med school classes through MAMS have to repeat those courses again if they are admitted to BU med?

Hi, I saw that you were recently accepted into the program. I am on the same page--wanting to apply now but haven't taken the MCAT/GRE and wouldn't until later in the year and wondering what is best...ie, to apply without test score early, like in the next week, or to apply after taking a test. I have a cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.63 for more info.

Thank you, and congrats on admission.

Please refer to our office hours with Dr. Offner (the MAMS program director) post:

In general, we do not recommend delaying your MAMS application until you can take a test later in the year (May would probably be too late) as applications are reviewed and acceptances are granted on a rolling basis. Similarly, we do not recommend taking the MCAT without being fully prepared as this can hurt your future medical school application. A test score is not needed but can be helpful in a review of your application. Often, the GRE is recommended in this case as you will get a score back immediately and it will not hurt your medical school application.

This forum is run by a MAMS student representative, so if you have any questions about your specific situation, I recommend that you reach out to Dr. Offner!

Hey, I was recently accepted to the program for 2019! My main question currently is about finding somewhere to live. I am from GA and not familiar with Boston. Any tips on what previous students have done that seems to work well? Thank you!

Hey, I was recently accepted to the program for 2019! My main question currently is about finding somewhere to live. I am from GA and not familiar with Boston. Any tips on what previous students have done that seems to work well? Thank you!

Bump

All MAMS courses will be held at the BU School of Medicine building next to BU Medical Center in the South End of Boston. Most MAMS students tend to look for housing in the South End so as to be walking distance to campus! Also, some students chose to live near the Charles River campus (the main campus) because there is a free BU shuttle to take you from the Charles River campus to the medical campus. In the coming weeks we will create a class Facebook page, which many former students have used to find a roommate!

Accepted today!

Can someone please tell me how many students are in the MAMs cohort? How many in one lecture? Thank you :)

Accepted today!

Can someone please tell me how many students are in the MAMs cohort? How many in one lecture? Thank you :)

Class size is ~160. During the first semester, all MAMS students will be taking the same courses and thus will be in the same lecture. Physio has discussion and COT (Histology) has lab for which you will be broken up into smaller classrooms with ~30 students. Second semester you have some choice in your courses and those tend to split 50/50.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for your help! Would you be able to tell me the acceptance rate to the program? I am just wondering how many students apply and are accepted...Thank you! :)

Thank you so much for your help! Would you be able to tell me the acceptance rate to the program? I am just wondering how many students apply and are accepted...Thank you! :)

I am sorry this account is run by a student representative and I do not have any admissions data.

If we use interfolio for LORs, do we have to wait until the letters are uploaded to the application service?

I sent mine to [email protected] but it won't let me submit my app until the LORs are entered so I'm not sure what to do.

How many MAMS graduates get into med school after graduating? Additionally, what would be a competeive gpa and sgpa to apply with? Lastly, when would you think would be 'too late' to apply?I know early is best but would march still be considered late or april even? thank you

How many MAMS graduates get into med school after graduating? Additionally, what would be a competeive gpa and sgpa to apply with? Lastly, when would you think would be 'too late' to apply?I know early is best but would march still be considered late or april even? thank you

MAMS students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher are shown to be 85% successful in gaining acceptance into an MD or DO medical school.

Our ideal applicant has at least a 3.0 overall GPA, 50th percentile on the MCAT or a GRE quantitative score of 70th percentile or higher. A MCAT or GRE score is no longer required for application to MAMS but can aid in the admissions decision. However, we use a holistic review process for applications, so these numbers are not a cutoff, just an average. Letters of recommendation, life experiences, and personal statements all play a large role.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, meaning we accept students as they apply. Decision notifications are sent out beginning in February and continue as applications are received through August, so the earlier you get your application in, the better your chances of acceptance are. We recommend you apply before June 1.

Hi! I was wondering, would you recommend people to wait to apply to med school after the SMP year or are there people who also apply during the SMP?

Hi! I was wondering, would you recommend people to wait to apply to med school after the SMP year or are there people who also apply during the SMP?

Hi! So each year approximately 30/160 MAMS students apply before beginning MAMS. This is really only recommended for students who are already pretty competitive applicants to medical school and just need a little extra boost. You should have a competitive MCAT score if you choose to apply before beginning MAMS as well. If you have already applied to medical school and this would be your second application, this route is not recommended.

The vast majority of MAMS students apply after the first year. That way ADCOMs can see a full years worth of new grades from MAMS. Likewise, many students retake the MCAT and vastly improve their scores after the MAMS classes. You also will the opportunity to add new service and leadership experiences as well as your thesis research to the application.

Hi! Thank you for taking time to answer our questions. When MAMS students take courses alongside MS1 students, are they graded separately or together and are students graded along a curve or by objective performance? My concern is that while MS1 students may only need to pass their courses, it is almost a necessity for MAMS students to get A's in order to have a competitive chance when applying to medical school. Thank you.

Hi! Thank you for taking time to answer our questions. When MAMS students take courses alongside MS1 students, are they graded separately or together and are students graded along a curve or by objective performance? My concern is that while MS1 students may only need to pass their courses, it is almost a necessity for MAMS students to get A's in order to have a competitive chance when applying to medical school. Thank you.

Thanks for your question! MAMS students do not take courses alongside the M1 students. The MAMS curriculum (in particular Physiology and Biochemistry/Cell Biology) is the same coursework as the M1 curriculum, however it is given in a slightly different order. MAMS classes are not taken with M1 students. Furthermore, MAMS is not graded on a curve at all. There are preset grade cutoffs for each course.

I went to their open house couple weeks ago, they said roughly 1000 students apply for a class of 160 students.

Thanks for answering all our questions! When will decisions be sent out for this year?

Do most people use loans to pay for the program? I've looked on the MAMS financial aid website and it seems like loans are heavily emphasized. are there any scholarships or teaching assistantships available for admitted students?

Do most people use loans to pay for the program? I've looked on the MAMS financial aid website and it seems like loans are heavily emphasized. are there any scholarships or teaching assistantships available for admitted students?

Hello! Yes, most use loans to pay for the program. We do offer a Provost Scholarship that is merit-based. Everyone who applies to MAMS is automatically considered for this, and the amount awarded will be disclosed in your acceptance letter from the program. The amount awarded can be up to $10,000. Scholarships are given until the funds run out, so the sooner you apply to the MAMS program, the better.

There are no teaching assistantships available your first year. Realistically, there is just not enough time for your coursework and any type of job. However, your second research year can be spent where ever you would like! It does not have to be in Boston. Many students choose to move back home and work to conserve costs. Additionally, there are paid TA and tutor positions available for your second year if you would like to stay in Boston.

Hi, recently accepted!

I was wondering if there is a facebook group set up yet?

Sending in my application in the next few days, really like this program so fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just submitted, anybody know the the average turn around time on applications is?

Last edited:
Sending in my application in the next few days, really like this program so fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just submitted, anybody know the the average turn around time on applications is?

It took a little less than a month for me

Hi! So each year approximately 30/160 MAMS students apply before beginning MAMS. This is really only recommended for students who are already pretty competitive applicants to medical school and just need a little extra boost. You should have a competitive MCAT score if you choose to apply before beginning MAMS as well. If you have already applied to medical school and this would be your second application, this route is not recommended.

The vast majority of MAMS students apply after the first year. That way ADCOMs can see a full years worth of new grades from MAMS. Likewise, many students retake the MCAT and vastly improve their scores after the MAMS classes. You also will the opportunity to add new service and leadership experiences as well as your thesis research to the application.

Hi! I was recently accepted and am weighing my options between a few SMP programs (Rutgers, Columbia and hopefully Tufts). Is it more typical for students who are not applying at the beginning of the SMP to do the two year option or to graduate in one year and work after? I saw in a response that students can do their thesis work anywhere but I am considering finishing the program in a year to save some money during the year I am applying to med school.