May 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
About 30 of the 160 students in the MAMS program choose the 1 year track and apply the same year as the program. The 1 year track is only really recommended for students who already have a fairly strong medical school application (i.e. MCAT, extracurriculars) and just need a little extra boost from MAMS. The remainder of students choose the 2 year track and apply after the first year of the program. Regardless of which track you choose, the cost of tuition is the same. You only pay tuition for the first year and the second year is more of a formality for loan repayment purposes (you do not have to start repaying your loans if listed as a full time student). The main difference between the 1 year and 2 year track is the timeline in which you complete your thesis. For the 1 year track, you must complete your thesis over the summer months and are limited to a literature review thesis. If you are playing on taking the MCAT and applying to medical school during the summer after your first year, this is not feasible. For the 2 year track, you have all of your second year to work on the thesis, and you may pursue a literature or a research thesis. If you want to save money and work during your second year, this is certainly possible! Many students move home or have full time jobs during their second year. I hope this helps to clarify the 1 vs 2 year track!
Could you please explain further the options for the two year track. If I decide to pursue my thesis in the second year at home (Not in Boston): is that something I do in another university or on my own? Will I have an official graduate transcript I can send to medical schools (for the next cycle) even if my thesis would not be complete until the second year?

-Also on a separate note* Will we have time (with the busy work load) to shadow a doctor a few hours a week? Or is that inadvisable?

Dec 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
All students take Biochemistry/Cell Biology (4 lectures per week), Physiology A (2 lectures per week + 1 discussion), and Cellular Organization of tissues (2 lectures per week + 2 labs). All lectures are taken together as a class in a lecture hall. Discussion and lab are broken up into smaller classrooms of ~30 students. Most days classes will start at ~10 AM (except 1 day per week you have lab at 8:30 AM). You typically have 2 "things" per day Monday -Friday, so 2 lectures or lecture + lab/discussion (except 1 day you have 3 things). Classes have a lunch break in between
Thank you!! Similar to what the previous poster said, would we have time in the afternoon/evenings to either do some shadowing or volunteering?

memdoctobe

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you!! Similar to what the previous poster said, would we have time in the afternoon/evenings to either do some shadowing or volunteering?
No repudiable SMP or similar program will recommend ECs in at least the first semester. The purpose of these programs is GPA repair, not to boost your ECs. It’s not worth over-extending yourself and sacrificing your last chance at GPA repair.

OP
Boston University MAMS
Sep 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
No repudiable SMP or similar program will recommend ECs in at least the first semester. The purpose of these programs is GPA repair, not to boost your ECs. It’s not worth over-extending yourself and sacrificing your last chance at GPA repair.
This is correct. We do not recommend working or extracurriculars particularly during the first semester. Your coursework should be your only priority. Typically, the second semester is a little lighter and students are able to add in some volunteering. During the second year, you will not be taking classes and will have plenty of time for extracurriculars!

OP
Boston University MAMS
Sep 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Could you please explain further the options for the two year track. If I decide to pursue my thesis in the second year at home (Not in Boston): is that something I do in another university or on my own? Will I have an official graduate transcript I can send to medical schools (for the next cycle) even if my thesis would not be complete until the second year?

-Also on a separate note* Will we have time (with the busy work load) to shadow a doctor a few hours a week? Or is that inadvisable?
The one vs two year track work as follows:

1 Year
  • Apply to medical school the summer prior to entering MAMS
  • Enter MAMS in the fall
  • Send grade update to medical schools after the first semester
  • Most of your interviews will likely occur in the spring after medical schools receive your grades
  • Send final grades after the second semester (if accepted into medical school or on a waitlist)
  • Complete literature thesis in the summer after MAMS courses complete
  • Enter medical school in the fall

2 Year
  • Enter MAMS in the fall
  • Take MCAT after completing the MAMS spring semester
  • Apply to medical school the summer after the first year of MAMS
  • Complete literature or research thesis and interview for medical schools throughout the second year
  • Graduate MAMS in the spring of the second year
  • Enter medical school in the fall
You must complete your degree prior to entering medical school - so the thesis must be finished and a final transcript with your degree awarded sent to the medical school prior to matriculation. It is not an option to complete the thesis after entering medical school.

The thesis can be completed anywhere in the country. Each thesis has 2 readers. If you complete the thesis at a non BU institution - your first reader will still be a BU faculty and your second reader will be the PI of your research group. You submit your thesis to BU and your PI recommends the grade that you should receive for it. This is if you complete a research thesis and generate original data. A literature thesis is just a review of already published literature, so you wouldn't conduct it at another institution.

We do not advise extracurriculars during the first semester. Your coursework is most important! You might be able to shadow or volunteer 1 day per week during the second semester.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
What exactly are the research credits we enroll in as stated in the course curriculum? Are we supposed to search and contact BU researchers and enroll in a lab or clinic as an independent researcher?

OP
Boston University MAMS
Sep 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
What exactly are the research credits we enroll in as stated in the course curriculum? Are we supposed to search and contact BU researchers and enroll in a lab or clinic as an independent researcher?
The research credits are filler credits - you will receive a grade for them after you complete your thesis at the end of the second year!

Jun 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Applied in November and have yet to hear back from them. I was accepted to Penn, Georgetown, Hopkins, and Columbia, yet BU has still not responded in the 7+ months that i heard back from everywhere that I applied. I have emailed them countless times asking for an explanation, but i was ignored twice, and once told that my application was still being reviewed.

etp123

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Is the program still accepting apps? I sent mine in 1-2 weeks ago and have not heard back yet so I was wondering if theres a general timeline to check.

Reactions: Bxmedbound07

lovemed102

5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2014
I just submitted my application today....I know it's a little too late. Not sure if the class is filled...fingers crossed..

etp123

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
All students take Biochemistry/Cell Biology (4 lectures per week), Physiology A (2 lectures per week + 1 discussion), and Cellular Organization of tissues (2 lectures per week + 2 labs). All lectures are taken together as a class in a lecture hall. Discussion and lab are broken up into smaller classrooms of ~30 students. Most days classes will start at ~10 AM (except 1 day per week you have lab at 8:30 AM). You typically have 2 "things" per day Monday -Friday, so 2 lectures or lecture + lab/discussion (except 1 day you have 3 things). Classes have a lunch break in between
Are lectures recorded? If not, are we allowed to audio record them?

lovemed102

5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2014
I am just wondering if the program is still actively accepting students. Also, wondering about how long it takes to get a response regarding acceptance/reject.

etp123

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I am just wondering if the program is still actively accepting students. Also, wondering about how long it takes to get a response regarding acceptance/reject.
I think they're still accepting apps as per their website, I also submitted past the June 1st recommended "deadline". I think from reading this thread it varies greatly, some people happened to get accepted after a couple of weeks and some took months. I would assume at this point they're moving more quickly though since the start date is approaching in just a couple months.

Oct 16, 2018
We're so sorry to hear that! I'm actually a student representative with no say in the admissions process, but you could reach out to Ying-Ju Lai at [email protected] and she would be happy to answer your questions.
Just sent her an email along with a letter of intent. Just checked, my application was submitting end of march, and confirmed to be completed my Ms. Ying-Ju Lai at the beginning of May. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign. Is the class close to being full?

mita_mitmita

2+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just sent her an email along with a letter of intent. Just checked, my application was submitting end of march, and confirmed to be completed my Ms. Ying-Ju Lai at the beginning of May. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign. Is the class close to being full?
I am in the same boat as you. Submitted and was confirmed for completion by the beginning of May. I was in communication with Ms. Ying-Ju in May and sent a f/u email to her and Dr. Offner two weeks back and haven't heard back. Wondering what that means as well.

Last edited:

BlueJayDoc97

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I was accepted yesterday into the program. Does anyone know how long it takes them to send the link to accept your offer of admission?

Apr 28, 2019
is it common to matriculate directly to Bu med here following the program if you perform well in the 1 year track with an overall good app? is anyone aware of how many 1 yr track students received interviews to BU med while enrolled this past year?

Jan 9, 2019
Applied in November and have yet to hear back from them. I was accepted to Penn, Georgetown, Hopkins, and Columbia, yet BU has still not responded in the 7+ months that i heard back from everywhere that I applied. I have emailed them countless times asking for an explanation, but i was ignored twice, and once told that my application was still being reviewed.
any updates?

Jun 16, 2019
Hello,

I am upset I just found out about the program. I just submitted my application. 515 MCAT 3.2 GPA with really strong upward trend. Is it too late to have a real chance?

etp123

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I am upset I just found out about the program. I just submitted my application. 515 MCAT 3.2 GPA with really strong upward trend. Is it too late to have a real chance?
Per their site they are still accepting applications for this fall, so maybe they will still consider you. I think the consensus around this thread is that it will take at least 2 weeks for them to get back to you, but hopefully it will be less since the program is starting very very soon. Be prepared to jump ship immediately wherever you are at and have a plan to get here asap once you find out!

Jun 16, 2019
Per their site they are still accepting applications for this fall, so maybe they will still consider you. I think the consensus around this thread is that it will take at least 2 weeks for them to get back to you, but hopefully it will be less since the program is starting very very soon. Be prepared to jump ship immediately wherever you are and have a plan to get here asap once you find out!
I’m literally ready to book a hotel to study at until while my family helps me find an apartment.

Jun 16, 2019
Is this a good program for someone with a 3.77 GPA but 508 MCAT? (127/123/130/128)
What are you trying to accomplish?

I also didn't mean that in a rude way. Idk if it sounded like that when I posted it. I meant since your GPA is strong and MCAT is strong minus your CARS score (which this won't help much if at all). Also wont have much time for ECs in the program. Solid EC and increase cars score would make you pretty competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: spuneli
May 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
What are you trying to accomplish?

I also didn't mean that in a rude way. Idk if it sounded like that when I posted it. I meant since your GPA is strong and MCAT is strong minus your CARS score (which this won't help much if at all). Also wont have much time for ECs in the program. Solid EC and increase cars score would make you pretty competitive.
Thank you for the response. And no i did not find it rude.

I was thinking that due to my unbalanced mcat, schools are gonna have a hard time deciding whether im ready for their curriculum and perhaps proving myself in mams would be beneficial.

Jun 16, 2019
Thank you for the response. And no i did not find it rude.

I was thinking that due to my unbalanced mcat, schools are gonna have a hard time deciding whether im ready for their curriculum and perhaps proving myself in mams would be beneficial.
Quick question, was English your first Lang.?