This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sending in my application in the next few days, really like this program so fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just submitted, anybody know the the average turn around time on applications is?

It took a little less than a month for me

I think it varies cause I submitted mine on 12/3 and I have yet to receive an admissions decision. Emailed them about 2 weeks ago and was told that my app was complete but still under review.
 
Hi! I was recently accepted and am weighing my options between a few SMP programs (Rutgers, Columbia and hopefully Tufts). Is it more typical for students who are not applying at the beginning of the SMP to do the two year option or to graduate in one year and work after? I saw in a response that students can do their thesis work anywhere but I am considering finishing the program in a year to save some money during the year I am applying to med school.

About 30 of the 160 students in the MAMS program choose the 1 year track and apply the same year as the program. The 1 year track is only really recommended for students who already have a fairly strong medical school application (i.e. MCAT, extracurriculars) and just need a little extra boost from MAMS. The remainder of students choose the 2 year track and apply after the first year of the program. Regardless of which track you choose, the cost of tuition is the same. You only pay tuition for the first year and the second year is more of a formality for loan repayment purposes (you do not have to start repaying your loans if listed as a full time student). The main difference between the 1 year and 2 year track is the timeline in which you complete your thesis. For the 1 year track, you must complete your thesis over the summer months and are limited to a literature review thesis. If you are playing on taking the MCAT and applying to medical school during the summer after your first year, this is not feasible. For the 2 year track, you have all of your second year to work on the thesis, and you may pursue a literature or a research thesis. If you want to save money and work during your second year, this is certainly possible! Many students move home or have full time jobs during their second year. I hope this helps to clarify the 1 vs 2 year track!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I wanted to use the letters of recommendation included in my BUSM application but that makes it impossible to me complete the recommendations section. Can you please help me get through that?
 
Does anyone know if we are supposed to receive an email confirming our application has been sent for review, or just a confirmation that our application was successfully submitted?

I think you can just check the portal to see the status of your application. I believe that your app may be partially reviewed before all letters/transcripts/scores are received because I got my acceptance the morning after my last LOR was sent in.
 
I think you can just check the portal to see the status of your application. I believe that your app may be partially reviewed before all letters/transcripts/scores are received because I got my acceptance the morning after my last LOR was sent in.
May I ask when you submitted your application?
 
Yay! Accepted! Submitted last week and got the acceptance email this morning (with a scholarship which I didn't even think was possible!). I have gotten into Georgetown SMP too. What do you guys think are some of the benefits to this program over Georgetown?
 
Yay! Accepted! Submitted last week and got the acceptance email this morning (with a scholarship which I didn't even think was possible!). I have gotten into Georgetown SMP too. What do you guys think are some of the benefits to this program over Georgetown?
May I ask the exact date when your application status was considered “complete” ?
 
I applied and was complete last Tuesday 3/19 and I was accepted yesterday (3/25) as well. See you all in Sept! 🙂
 
I submitted my application last week, but I'm still waiting on them to received a couple LOR's. Is an application considered complete after they receive them?
 
I checked my email and the portal but I couldn't find when I was "complete." I submitted my payment on 03/19 (everything was in by then) and was accepted 03/25. Amazing turnaround considering the weekend!
 
so it seems like people who got accepted heard back within a week?
For those who applied in December and are still waiting... does that mean it's a rejection?
Did anyone hear back with a rejection?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I checked my email and the portal but I couldn't find when I was "complete." I submitted my payment on 03/19 (everything was in by then) and was accepted 03/25. Amazing turnaround considering the weekend!
Do you mind sharing your stats?
 
so it seems like people who got accepted heard back within a week?
For those who applied in December and are still waiting... does that mean it's a rejection?
Did anyone hear back with a rejection?
I also heard back within 1.5 weeks. Submitted 2/10 and accepted 2/20. I would email the program if you applied in December and are still waiting!
 
Hi all ! I submitted my application earlier this month (3/12/19) and my application status indicates “complete”. Finally my last LOR was turned in today. Is there a certain timeframe where one should typically hear back? Two weeks possibly ?
According to this thread, 2 weeks seem like a safe timeframe
 
I just received my acceptance! For anyone that is curious, it took about 1.5 weeks after my application AND supplementary materials were submitted.
 
Just accepted! Anyone applying this cycle also?

Looking for an apartment around August?
 
Application has been complete for a few days but hasn't been verified or received a confirmation email yet, hoping for the best though. This program is my #1 choice.
 
Has anyone been rejected from the program yet? I applied a little bit ago now and am wondering if my application is just on hold because I took the MCAT in april so they want to see that score or if I'm just going to be rejected.
 
Will be withdrawing my acceptance because I got into a SMP that I believe is a better fit. I hope one of you guys get the spot!

I am guessing it’s pretty much impossible to get the deposit back?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My applications been complete for a couple weeks now, but I haven't gotten any sort of email or anything saying that it's been processed or is being reviewed, should I be concerned?
 
Hi All,

I just recently sent in my acceptance for the offer. I am looking for housing. Is there a MAMS 2019-2020 FB group yet? Message me!
Thanks 🙂
 
I am thinking about applying. However, I am wondering if I need to retake my MCAT. I have a 3.53 cGPA and 502 MCAT. Has anyone gotten in with similar stats?
 
I am thinking about applying. However, I am wondering if I need to retake my MCAT. I have a 3.53 cGPA and 502 MCAT. Has anyone gotten in with similar stats?
I think it is very risky to do a SMP without an MD competitive MCAT. If you do the SMP and can't improve your MCAT much from a 502, you really are only competitive for DO schools, which you would have been without the SMP. Some might argue that a lot of people improve their MCAT after a SMP which is true, but in my opinion it is not worth adding extra risk to an already risky $80k program.
 
I am thinking about applying. However, I am wondering if I need to retake my MCAT. I have a 3.53 cGPA and 502 MCAT. Has anyone gotten in with similar stats?
I think it is very risky to do a SMP without an MD competitive MCAT. If you do the SMP and can't improve your MCAT much from a 502, you really are only competitive for DO schools, which you would have been without the SMP. Some might argue that a lot of people improve their MCAT after a SMP which is true, but in my opinion it is not worth adding extra risk to an already risky $80k program.

We do not recommend that you rush to retake the MCAT to apply to this program. An MCAT score is not needed to apply (which is new as of this year to prevent this from happening). You will be recommended to retake the MCAT after the first year of the program, but that first year helps so much with the MCAT and our students tend to improve tremendously!

Our ideal applicant has a GPA above 3.0 and MCAT above 500.
 
Has anyone had their prehealth advisor upload a letter packet to the online application for them? Since I would only have one recommender (prehealth advisor), how can I submit the online application without listing 3 recommenders?
 
Has anyone had their prehealth advisor upload a letter packet to the online application for them? Since I would only have one recommender (prehealth advisor), how can I submit the online application without listing 3 recommenders?
Just put your own email or a dummy email for the other two. That is what I did. They processed my application in 1-2 weeks.
 
@Boston University MAMS I wondered if you could share some info about the weekly schedule of MAMS students? Since all students take the same courses in the fall, are we all in class at the same time? If so, what does that look like- are the classes mostly in the morning, or spread out throughout the day? (And are there classes every day of the week?) Thank you 🙂

All students take Biochemistry/Cell Biology (4 lectures per week), Physiology A (2 lectures per week + 1 discussion), and Cellular Organization of tissues (2 lectures per week + 2 labs). All lectures are taken together as a class in a lecture hall. Discussion and lab are broken up into smaller classrooms of ~30 students. Most days classes will start at ~10 AM (except 1 day per week you have lab at 8:30 AM). You typically have 2 "things" per day Monday -Friday, so 2 lectures or lecture + lab/discussion (except 1 day you have 3 things). Classes have a lunch break in between
 
About 30 of the 160 students in the MAMS program choose the 1 year track and apply the same year as the program. The 1 year track is only really recommended for students who already have a fairly strong medical school application (i.e. MCAT, extracurriculars) and just need a little extra boost from MAMS. The remainder of students choose the 2 year track and apply after the first year of the program. Regardless of which track you choose, the cost of tuition is the same. You only pay tuition for the first year and the second year is more of a formality for loan repayment purposes (you do not have to start repaying your loans if listed as a full time student). The main difference between the 1 year and 2 year track is the timeline in which you complete your thesis. For the 1 year track, you must complete your thesis over the summer months and are limited to a literature review thesis. If you are playing on taking the MCAT and applying to medical school during the summer after your first year, this is not feasible. For the 2 year track, you have all of your second year to work on the thesis, and you may pursue a literature or a research thesis. If you want to save money and work during your second year, this is certainly possible! Many students move home or have full time jobs during their second year. I hope this helps to clarify the 1 vs 2 year track!
Could you please explain further the options for the two year track. If I decide to pursue my thesis in the second year at home (Not in Boston): is that something I do in another university or on my own? Will I have an official graduate transcript I can send to medical schools (for the next cycle) even if my thesis would not be complete until the second year?

-Also on a separate note* Will we have time (with the busy work load) to shadow a doctor a few hours a week? Or is that inadvisable?
 
Thank you!! Similar to what the previous poster said, would we have time in the afternoon/evenings to either do some shadowing or volunteering?

No repudiable SMP or similar program will recommend ECs in at least the first semester. The purpose of these programs is GPA repair, not to boost your ECs. It’s not worth over-extending yourself and sacrificing your last chance at GPA repair.
 
No repudiable SMP or similar program will recommend ECs in at least the first semester. The purpose of these programs is GPA repair, not to boost your ECs. It’s not worth over-extending yourself and sacrificing your last chance at GPA repair.
Thank you!! Similar to what the previous poster said, would we have time in the afternoon/evenings to either do some shadowing or volunteering?

This is correct. We do not recommend working or extracurriculars particularly during the first semester. Your coursework should be your only priority. Typically, the second semester is a little lighter and students are able to add in some volunteering. During the second year, you will not be taking classes and will have plenty of time for extracurriculars!
 
Could you please explain further the options for the two year track. If I decide to pursue my thesis in the second year at home (Not in Boston): is that something I do in another university or on my own? Will I have an official graduate transcript I can send to medical schools (for the next cycle) even if my thesis would not be complete until the second year?

-Also on a separate note* Will we have time (with the busy work load) to shadow a doctor a few hours a week? Or is that inadvisable?

The one vs two year track work as follows:

1 Year
  • Apply to medical school the summer prior to entering MAMS
  • Enter MAMS in the fall
  • Send grade update to medical schools after the first semester
  • Most of your interviews will likely occur in the spring after medical schools receive your grades
  • Send final grades after the second semester (if accepted into medical school or on a waitlist)
  • Complete literature thesis in the summer after MAMS courses complete
  • Enter medical school in the fall

2 Year
  • Enter MAMS in the fall
  • Take MCAT after completing the MAMS spring semester
  • Apply to medical school the summer after the first year of MAMS
  • Complete literature or research thesis and interview for medical schools throughout the second year
  • Graduate MAMS in the spring of the second year
  • Enter medical school in the fall
You must complete your degree prior to entering medical school - so the thesis must be finished and a final transcript with your degree awarded sent to the medical school prior to matriculation. It is not an option to complete the thesis after entering medical school.

The thesis can be completed anywhere in the country. Each thesis has 2 readers. If you complete the thesis at a non BU institution - your first reader will still be a BU faculty and your second reader will be the PI of your research group. You submit your thesis to BU and your PI recommends the grade that you should receive for it. This is if you complete a research thesis and generate original data. A literature thesis is just a review of already published literature, so you wouldn't conduct it at another institution.

We do not advise extracurriculars during the first semester. Your coursework is most important! You might be able to shadow or volunteer 1 day per week during the second semester.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What exactly are the research credits we enroll in as stated in the course curriculum? Are we supposed to search and contact BU researchers and enroll in a lab or clinic as an independent researcher?
 
Applied in November and have yet to hear back from them. I was accepted to Penn, Georgetown, Hopkins, and Columbia, yet BU has still not responded in the 7+ months that i heard back from everywhere that I applied. I have emailed them countless times asking for an explanation, but i was ignored twice, and once told that my application was still being reviewed.
 
Is the program still accepting apps? I sent mine in 1-2 weeks ago and have not heard back yet so I was wondering if theres a general timeline to check.