This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

photon153

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am starting my junior year and I am planning to take DAT at the end of my junior year. courses I have taken for pre dent are:
- general biology
- evolutionary biology
- general chemistry 1,2
- organic chemistry 1,2
- physics for engineers 1,2
- calculus 1,2
I am taking biochemistry and cell biology and physiology and a writing composition class (since I haven't take any and all dental schools I like to apply require 1 year of writing composition) this Fall.
the Question I have is for my spring semester. I am taking Microbiology and its lab plus anatomy ( I have heard it is essential for DAT) and the other writing class I should take. there will be a free spot on my schedule. I have 4 options for that:
- dental school science and lab preparation course --> which is not count toward my degree.
- ceramic ( since some of the schools require a 3D Art class) --> can count toward my degree
- an independent research class ( I have 4 research papers right now) --> count toward my degree
- an internship course ( there is a job description on application for dental school and it has 5 spots while unfortunately I don't have any to put there) --> count toward my degree

which one of these 4 do you think is more important to take during spring semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I think you can take the dental school class your senior year, and since you already have research, you can either take ceramics (since anatomy is A LOT of material) or you can intern.

Also, side note: the application has different categories: experiences, achievements, and licenses. Experiences include shadowing, jobs, volunteering, academic enrichment, clubs, etc. I think it has an unlimited amount of spots (not 5; I have like 11 lol), but you can only "highlight" 6 experiences to show off to schools.

Then I think you can take the dental school class your senior year, and since you already have research, you can either take ceramics (since anatomy is A LOT of material) or you can intern.

Also, side note: the application has different categories: experiences, achievements, and licenses. Experiences include shadowing, jobs, volunteering, academic enrichment, clubs, etc. I think it has an unlimited amount of spots (not 5; I have like 11 lol), but you can only "highlight" 6 experiences to show off to schools.
actually I found this note somewhere:
Personal Statement - 1 box, 4500 characters including spaces

Extracurricular and Service - 10 slots (for seperate activities), 175 characters per slot, including spaces

Research Experience - 5 slots, 175 characters per slot

Work Experience (including military) - 5 slots, 175 characters per slot

Awards, Honors, Scholarships - 5 slots, only get to write the name of the awarding organization, the name of the award, and the date received. No description available in this section. (This section should be expanded IMO)

Dentistry Experience - 10 slots, 175 characters per slot

Activities that show manual dexterity - 1 slot, 600 characters to describe your experiences.
Also I checked it by registering in applying for dentistry ( I didn't apply, I just checked if it is correct or not). if you were going to decide between ceramic and internship, in this new situation, which one would you have chosen?

Extracurricular and Service - 10 slots (for seperate activities), 175 characters per slot, including spaces

Awards, Honors, Scholarships - 5 slots, only get to write the name of the awarding organization, the name of the award, and the date received. No description available in this section. (This section should be expanded IMO)

Activities that show manual dexterity - 1 slot, 600 characters to describe your experiences.
Also I checked it by registering in applying for dentistry ( I didn't apply, I just checked if it is correct or not). if you were going to decide between ceramic and internship, in this new situation, which one would you have chosen?

That was last year. This year it has changed and you can only highlight 6 of the biggest and most important experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Yup, trust me. This was last years. I'm applying this cycle and have it all done lol.
I'm very artistic, so I wouldn't have taken ceramics, but I would've shadowed or worked, so I'd probably apply for an internship.

Yup, trust me. This was last years. I'm applying this cycle and have it all done lol.
I'm very artistic, so I wouldn't have taken ceramics, but I would've shadowed or worked, so I'd probably apply for an internship.
that is great! thanks. you saved a lot of time. so how many shadowing will you write? can I write all of them together as one experience?

that is great! thanks. you saved a lot of time. so how many shadowing will you write? can I write all of them together as one experience?
Honestly it is up to you. I only shadowed one dentist, so obviously I just put it under one. If you did multiple, then you can either put them all together, or list them separately, or the one that you did the most with goes by itself and the minor ones can be grouped together.
It is how ever you want it, but remember that you can only "highlight" six experiences that dental schools will immediately see upon review of your app, vs the other experiences that they will have to read through to find.
EDIT: Also, the 6 experiences will be used up very quickly, because everything like "volunteering, employment, shadowing, academic enrichment, clubs, etc" fits under the broad category of experiences.

Licenses such as RDH (Registered Dental Hygienist), CDA (Certified Dental Assistant), CDT (Cert. Dent. Technician), etc. Probably EMT and other things could fit under here too...

Thanks! Wouldn't getting licensed before applying to dental be uncommon, since one would have to go through a program for dental hygienist, assistant, etc?