This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice Princess23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm wondering on my chances of getting into a good post-bacc premed program. Specifically what role GPA plays in admission. I only took a few pre-med classes in college so I'd do one of the programs where you take the pre-med courses.
Anyway, my GPA isn't the highest it's a bit above a 2.8.. but I go to a top university so I'm hoping that would be a factor (Johns Hopkins University). I'm a double major at JHU (public health and pre-med). My GPA is rising, I just had a couple of hard semesters. A big reason I'm interested in post-bacc is gpa repair. I'm already improving, by graduation I could feasibly get it to at least a 2.9, maybe even 3.0, but I only have a semester left/not much time.
So do I still have chances of admission into a good program? Most of them say GPA requirement is a 3.0, but i'm close to that, I have a lot of EC's, 700+ hours community service and research experience. I also have a disability.. I don't know if that plays any role but I know that's a consideration in the work force.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey IcePrincess23,

I'd personally email the admissions to get better answers. Some places like BU MAMS say 3.0 GPA requirement, but it's more of a soft cut-off than a hard cut-off.

That being said, I'd look at DrMidLife's post on SMP. Make sure you can handle the courseload. 3.0 GPA without much hard sciences might mean that you're not quite ready to get good grades in SMP. SMP is an audition; it is not a place to figure out how to study. If you mess up, your chances for med school is essentially nil. Disability won't mean much. It means they will accommodate with certain things required by law, but don't expect it to be a crutch. Remember, if you're going to be a doctor, it means you need to know how to deal with these things without holding you back.

Also, my condolences. I have friends at JHU and Princeton who are very vocal about their grade deflation policies.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user