Preparing for Rotations after Gap Year? 3 Months to Go. What Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CypherA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am finishing up my gap year (research) and will be returning to 4th year in about 3 months. By this time it will have been an entire year since my last rotation (psych :/)

I will be starting my first sub-i on inpatient Internal Medicine. Does anyone know of the best ways in which to prepare myself and get back my knowledge/skills so that I don't act/look like it's my first rodeo?

I was deciding between watching onlinemeded videos, reading step up 2 medicine (not sure if I'd be able to stomach this), browsing FA Step 2 CK (or MTB). I'm not exactly sure what's best or which would be more helpful.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the subscription to OME, look over the Intern content. If you don't have the subscription, I'd say invest in it. Another great resource is their Intern Guide. I'e seen interns carry the OME intern guide, LANGE Instant Access Hospital Admissions, or the standard Pocket Medicine (the new version is purple).

I also do not enjoy the Step Up series (too dense), but maybe Master the Boards may be better for a quick-hit, high-yeild review.

Good luck!

Hello,

I am finishing up my gap year (research) and will be returning to 4th year in about 3 months. By this time it will have been an entire year since my last rotation (psych :/)

I will be starting my first sub-i on inpatient Internal Medicine. Does anyone know of the best ways in which to prepare myself and get back my knowledge/skills so that I don't act/look like it's my first rodeo?

I was deciding between watching onlinemeded videos, reading step up 2 medicine (not sure if I'd be able to stomach this), browsing FA Step 2 CK (or MTB). I'm not exactly sure what's best or which would be more helpful.

Any thoughts?
Do a QBank. Seriously. Save UW2 for closer to your 2CK, but go for either Rx or Kaplan. Very broad. Lots of reading. Good jump start.

(btw I finished UWorld for Step 3 a couple rotations before the end of med school and it put me light-years ahead)

If you have the subscription to OME, look over the Intern content. If you don't have the subscription, I'd say invest in it. Another great resource is their Intern Guide. I'e seen interns carry the OME intern guide, LANGE Instant Access Hospital Admissions, or the standard Pocket Medicine (the new version is purple).

I also do not enjoy the Step Up series (too dense), but maybe Master the Boards may be better for a quick-hit, high-yeild review.

Good luck!

Hey there thanks. I think I'll look over the intern stuff and just might pull the plug on the Intern guide. Thanks for hte Lange reminder, I used to use that during 3rd year. Appreciate the help

Do a QBank. Seriously. Save UW2 for closer to your 2CK, but go for either Rx or Kaplan. Very broad. Lots of reading. Good jump start.

(btw I finished UWorld for Step 3 a couple rotations before the end of med school and it put me light-years ahead)

Hey there, I already took CK about 8 months ago, right after 3rd year but I'll look into a question bank. Not sure if I'm ready for step 3 studying as my residencies will likely pay for the exam my intern year. Thanks for the advice