Pritzker vs. WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pritzker vs. WashU in STL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ldiam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck with this decision. I've spent the last two days comparing everything possible between these two schools (Pritzker and WashU in St. Louis) and, no matter what I do, I can't seem to make a definitive decision. Thus, because I have 72 hours to choose a school, I decided to come ask the experts (you!) for advice. As far as my feelings about each school go:

Pritzker:
+ Cost (about $10,000 cheaper a year, ~$40K overall)
+ Global Health opportunities (specifically within the S&D program)
+ P/F
+ Size
- Location (not sure how I feel about Hyde Park)

WashU:
+ Pediatrics program (high ranked, etc.)
+ MPH possibility
+ Further from home/Newer experiences
? Location (don't feel like I know enough about STL to consider this a +/-)
? Some global health opportunities, but I get the impression that it's not as extensive as Pritzker? Any insights here?
? Not P/F in second year
- Cost

I had awesome experiences at both schools on my interview day and, unfortunately, wasn't able to attend revisit for either as I am abroad (and wasn't accepted to WashU in time). I'm sure I'll be happy with either choice (kind of obviously, because coming up with negatives for either school was extremely difficult), but any input would be SO appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say Pritzker. Chicago is a great city too (not that St. Louis isn't). It's cheaper, it's a great school, P/F is big. The location isn't the worst either. Don't go too far south and you'll be fine.

I am a native st louisan and washu alum. Stl is a decent but small city. If location is a big factor for you, Chicago has more to offer. I work near washu med school also, the med school is big and gorgeous and everything but I'm sure you knew that. Those kids are always studying though so not sure how much you'll get to enjoy either city. Fwiw I'd pick pritzker a. Bc I'm done with st louis and Chicago has so much to offer b. Cost and c. Pass fail. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also vote pritzker if you're fine with a big city

Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck with this decision. I've spent the last two days comparing everything possible between these two schools (Pritzker and WashU in St. Louis) and, no matter what I do, I can't seem to make a definitive decision. Thus, because I have 72 hours to choose a school, I decided to come ask the experts (you!) for advice. As far as my feelings about each school go:

Pritzker:
+ P/F
+ Size

WashU:
+ MPH possibility
? Some global health opportunities, but I get the impression that it's not as extensive as Pritzker? Any insights here?
? Not P/F in second year
- Cost

I had awesome experiences at both schools on my interview day and, unfortunately, wasn't able to attend revisit for either as I am abroad (and wasn't accepted to WashU in time). I'm sure I'll be happy with either choice (kind of obviously, because coming up with negatives for either school was extremely difficult), but any input would be SO appreciated. Thank you!

why do you say that about Hyde Park? Is there something that Hyde Park has too much of which you dislike?

Both are really great schools. Although WashU is ranked slightly higher, both schools have nearly identical reputations and going to Pritzker over WashU or vice versa will have no impact on where you match, even location because both are midwest schools.

Location: I feel that Pritzker is in a better location because it's in Chicago and only 20 mins to downtown. Although St. Louis is a great city, you really can't compare it to what Chicago has to offer.

Cost: You shouldn't put too much stock into cost because 40k is not a deal breaker and won't put you in too much debt If it was 100 or 200k, then cost should play a bigger role.

Environment: I think that Pritzker would be less stressful of an environment as it is a true P/F for both years

Reactions: 1 users
Hyde Park isnt really a con. Nice quiet place to live and study in during the weekday, close enough to fun for the weekends.

Hi all,

Pritzker:
+ P/F
+ Size

WashU:
+ MPH possibility
? Not P/F in second year
- Cost

No question - Pritzker.

Pritzker IMO

But seriously every city has a neighborhood called Hyde Park... Boston, Chicago, LA, London, KC

I don't know much about WashU, but I've worked at UChicago Hospital and I think the hospital is beautiful and some great research is happening there. The MD/PhDs I've talked to (who have done the first half of the MD and are into the PhD) are in love with the place and their experiences.

Also, I've lived in Hyde Park. I was studying full time for MCAT and working full time so I couldn't EVER explore, but even the area itself is quiet and VERY pretty and residential. If you ever want to go out to the city the transport system is only second to NYC imo. The campus/surrounding area is a bit of a bubble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are like the most selective schools in the nation, so first of all, congratulations!
I would go with Pritzker. It doesn't have an MPH program but I'm sure you can get that degree at another institution. It has a small class size, it's p/f, and there's more to do in Chicago.

Hi!
I'm in the same situation, I hope OP doesn't mind me using this thread :D I didn't want to create a whole new one since the discussion will be similar. I got off the Pritzker waitlist today and suddenly have a decision to make!
I'm interested in care of underserved populations, which seem to be covered by both schools by nature of their locations. In terms of curriculum, residency placement, and general opportunities, there doesn't seem to be large differences between the two (correct me if I'm wrong)! So I'm down to:

Pritzker
+full tuition scholarship
? the required research project, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I'm interested in the projects students have done, but I'm worried about the time commitment?
-the day of my interview it was -10 degrees! I'm not a big fan of cold and I don't know much about Chicago

WUSM
-would leave med school with ~$150k in loans to repay
+went to WUSTL undergrad, so have already existing relationships with some med students and faculty and I love StL

Any current students (from either school) who want to share some experiences or insights? :D thanks everyone!

Hi!
I'm in the same situation, I hope OP doesn't mind me using this thread :D I didn't want to create a whole new one since the discussion will be similar. I got off the Pritzker waitlist today and suddenly have a decision to make!
I'm interested in care of underserved populations, which seem to be covered by both schools by nature of their locations. In terms of curriculum, residency placement, and general opportunities, there doesn't seem to be large differences between the two (correct me if I'm wrong)! So I'm down to:

Pritzker
? the required research project, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I'm interested in the projects students have done, but I'm worried about the time commitment?
-the day of my interview it was -10 degrees! I'm not a big fan of cold and I don't know much about Chicago

WUSM
+went to WUSTL undergrad, so have already existing relationships with some med students and faculty and I love StL

Any current students (from either school) who want to share some experiences or insights? :D thanks everyone!

Full tuition scholarship AND true pass/fail preclinicals!? You'd be out of your mind to turn that down.

Reactions: 3 users
The required project is easy to finish. You can start it the summer after 1st year and continue on with that project. Or start a new project after you take step 1. We get 5-6 weeks off to do our "research" after step 1, which is a nice break. Finish the project up in 4th year if needed.

I also hate the cold, but you get used to it. I would assume St Louis to be cold as well

Pritzker for both of you guys.

Pritzker absolutely smashing WashU. This is fairly impressive considering their similarities as research institutions. Any real reason - other than Chicago being awesome - that one would be so heavily favored over the other?

Pritzker absolutely smashing WashU. This is fairly impressive considering their similarities as research institutions. Any real reason - other than Chicago being awesome - that one would be so heavily favored over the other?
Probably because the first person on this thread said Pritzker was $40k cheaper for him, and the second person making the same decision on this thread said he had a full tuition scholarship to Pritzker.

Reactions: 1 user

In addition to the location and being cheaper, another reason is probably the true p/f.

Hi!

Pritzker

WUSM

Did you inform WashU of your scholarship?

Did you inform WashU of your scholarship?
Yea, they're giving me a little already (hence only 150k of debt v 200k+) and they said they couldn't do anything more for me.

The required project is easy to finish. You can start it the summer after 1st year and continue on with that project. Or start a new project after you take step 1. We get 5-6 weeks off to do our "research" after step 1, which is a nice break. Finish the project up in 4th year if needed.

I also hate the cold, but you get used to it. I would assume St Louis to be cold as well
haha StL is slightly less cold :p Thanks for the info! is the research project required to be with a UChicago faculty? If I wanted to spend my summer with family/etc, could I do research at another school?

Hi!

Pritzker

WUSM

You got accepted off the waitlist at Pritzker but they offered you a full tuition scholarship? Can you explain? That doesn't seem to compute for me.

You got accepted off the waitlist at Pritzker but they offered you a full tuition scholarship? Can you explain? That doesn't seem to compute for me.
That's exactly what happened, I don't have any other info for you...I imagine they had offered it to someone else and that person had turned them down?

This happens not that uncommonly. Especially if the school you're attending when they pull you off the waitlist is similarly ranked or ranked higher. Think of scholarships of recruitment tools. To effectively recruit him away from WashU, where he was already set, they offered him enough money to make the choice a no brainer.

This happens not that uncommonly. Especially if the school you're attending when they pull you off the waitlist is similarly ranked or ranked higher. Think of scholarships of recruitment tools. To effectively recruit him away from WashU, where he was already set, they offered him enough money to make the choice a no brainer.
I understand the value of scholarships as incentives, but it seems odd that they want an applicant badly enough to offer a scholarship but not badly enough to accept outright vs initial waitlisting.

I understand the value of scholarships as incentives, but it seems odd that they want an applicant badly enough to offer a scholarship but not badly enough to accept outright vs initial waitlisting.

Yes, it's odd and I doubt we applicants can do much more than speculate. I'm guessing it's because the pool you're being compared to has changed. Then, they compared you to all the applicants, and were being conservative with their acceptances. Now, they need to fill the last few gaps in their seat, and want to pick the best fits from those that chose to remain on the waitlist to round out their class. Maybe they have more specific criteria in mind now than they did when first handing out acceptances--like they want more humanities majors or non-trads or heavy basic-science research people, etc--and you fit them! Plus they know there's a very substantial chance you won't attend if you're already matriculating at an equally good/higher ranked school. Just my best guess. Maybe someone more involved with admissions has a more informative answer.

I've seen people on here saying they've gotten scholarships off the waitlist from numerous schools including UChicago, WashU, and Baylor.

Last edited:

Gotta lock in the class! Presumably, a top student that was originally offered the scholarship chose to attend elsewhere. Better to give it to someone that was on the waitlist and therefore still on the fence decision-wise than someone that is already definitely matriculating. Even though they were on the waitlist, they're part of the class now and are just as important as anyone else that matriculates. Best to get them in and end the waitlist craziness. At least this is my take on it.

EDIT: I would also assume that they want to fill remaining positions with - in their opinion - the best possible students. If the OP is already signed on with WashU, they're clearly a pretty strong student, and some incentive might be needed to come over to Pritzker.

Gotta lock in the class! Presumably, a top student that was originally offered the scholarship chose to attend elsewhere. Better to give it to someone that was on the waitlist and therefore still on the fence decision-wise than someone that is already definitely matriculating. Even though they were on the waitlist, they're part of the class now and are just as important as anyone else that matriculates. Best to get them in and end the waitlist craziness. At least this is my take on it.
Oh that makes sense! Scholarships are incentives to attend, and the ones who most need an incentive to attend are the ones on the waitlist, set to matriculate at an equally good school.

Yea, they're giving me a little already (hence only 150k of debt v 200k+) and they said they couldn't do anything more for me.

haha StL is slightly less cold :p Thanks for the info! is the research project required to be with a UChicago faculty? If I wanted to spend my summer with family/etc, could I do research at another school?

The research project for S&D has to be with UC faculty. There are also some meetings during that 5 weeks so you supposedly have to be on campus, but many ppl go on vacation and stuff during this time. You can do research at another school the summer after 1st year, and UC might actually give you funding for that.