Professor just uploaded her letter on AMCAS today. How do I update schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hsk013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

My professor just uploaded her letter to AMCAS today. My submitted application (back in June) only has letters from a pre-med committee, a physician, and a volunteer supervisor.

If I want to update schools regarding this 4th letter, do I just email them and ask them to re-download my application? Would it be a good idea to attach my updated resume (since June) and the letter of intent on that email as well? I would appreciate it if you guys can give me some advice.

Thanks!
 
Honestly, you've likely missed all deadlines for schools to receive AMCAS letters, so it may be futile to try to update schools that use the Letters Service. Moreover, I doubt an additional letter will sway a committee. Honestly, I believe you already have a good set of LORs that speak about your work ethic, motivation to pursue a career in medicine, compassion, etc. I doubt a school will consider your application less even if you just had a committee letter unless they stipulated that you must have a committee letter + individual letters. As long as your committee letter is strongly favorable, you shouldn't have to worry because you already gave them the most objective letter possible.

You could possibly check to see if the schools you are waiting for a response from are receptive to LORs being submitted as an update along with an explanation of why your professor just now uploaded it to AMCAS. It seems you already have been accepted somewhere, though. Congrats!