This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hartroc

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I'm brand new here and signed up specifically to ask this question regarding my clinical exposure (though I'm impressed by this community and will probably stick around).

I take the MCAT and begin applying to schools next year. In the meantime, I volunteer in the physical therapy clinic of a psychiatric hospital, and I want to make sure I'm right to count those hours as clinical experience. I've heard that physical therapy isn't considered "real" clinical experience, but I figured the fact that it's in a psych hospital makes it more relevant and credible. I interact directly with patients of all ages (12-80) and mental capacities, assisting them with their exercise routines and administering therapeutic treatments including ultrasound, cold laser, and electrostimulation. I love doing it and I love the patients, but I would like some assurance that I can count it as clinical exposure on a med school application, because otherwise I'm going to have to find a new place to volunteer really soon.

Thanks!