Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship 2020/2021 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Guys I am an IM resident at a Community Hospital, IMG, and need no visa.
I don't have any publications, except for 6 ACP posters.
I see that it's very tough to get into Pulm Crit without connections and research background.
How do I increase my chances to match into a Pulm Crit prog? what is ur suggestion for Sleep medicine fellowship first.
Does sleep medicine fellowship increase my chances of getting into Pulm-crit?

thanks
That was my plan, but sleep was competitive this year and I was particular on location so didn’t work out :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is sleep competitive when there aren't even many sleep jobs? Are people doing it like hepatology to get into PCCM?

Will they really wait till noon tomorrow to release the rank list? Or can it be released earlier in the morning?

Good luck to all!! Looking forward to hearing where everyone matches!

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at my #2! Absolutely thrilled. I was really torn between my top 2 anyway!

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't match... Had 8 total ranks, so pretty shocked.

Does anyone have the unfilled list for Sleep?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any spots available for scramble ?

Matched at my #5 which was a little lower than anticipated, but I feel fortunate and am excited since I had a hard time with the top of my list. I know it was a tough year so hopefully things worked out for most people.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched at my nr 4. Incredibly grateful given the tough season and being an IMG from a smaller program. Thrilled with my program!

This is my 2nd year applying, finished residency from a community hospital and I am currently doing hospice and palliative medicine fellowship. 8 case report , 1 literature review publications and a couple of CHEST/ATS presentations. Had 8 interviews 6 PCCM, 1 CCM and 1 Pulm>> ranked 7 programs and thank god I matched into my 1st choice University program. Please, for those who did not match never lose hope and continue to work hard for it. If you feel this is what you want to be, it will happen and you will match next year. Congratulations for those who matched!!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched in my # 2 choice Univ Hospital!!!

Older pulmonary doc here. My son matched for PCCM in his #1 choice. I am ecstatic to have 2 pulmonologists/intensivists in the family.

Reactions: 5 users
IMG coming from a University hospital. I matched in my first choice. Top 3 in the country. Very greatful. For all the IMGs everything is possible.

interviewed at 15 places , us grad did not match any unfilled sleep spots

Matched at my #1. So thrilled! Already got like 5 emails from different people at the program. Unreal. AND the incoming class is 50% women. So excited.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't match. Any one have a list of unfilled Critical care positions, preferably in Upstate NY, or Chicago area?

Hope you find something but FYI, CCM spots probably all filled like last month.
Ah okay, I should have figured. I didn't keep track of CCM at all, only looked at and applied to Pulm-CC because I was doing Couples match..

Any data on the number of open PCCM spots or the % matched?

Out of respect for those still going through the scramble process you should not be sharing that information and it is prohibited by the NRMP.

Out of respect for those still going through the scramble process you should not be sharing that information and it is prohibited by the NRMP.
The program actually emailed me yesterday (I did not apply there), so *technically* it was outside of NRMP. Oh well. Deleted it anyway.

You did not match. You have access to the unfilled list. So it is not outside of the NRMP. Doesnt matter that they emailed you

Got 12 interviews. Didn't match . Devastated - really didn't consider not matching to be a possibility

Going to beef up my resume and apply again next year - Not going to give up

Do you think you're looked at as more marketable the 2nd time around? Tough question, I know. I was thinking of e-mailing the programs I interviewed at specifically to let them know I will be applying again next year and would appreciate their consideration a 2nd time around or something like that, i don't know .... Anyone with advice on this?

Got 12 interviews. Didn't match . Devastated - really didn't consider not matching to be a possibility

Going to beef up my resume and apply again next year - Not going to give up

Do you think you're looked at as more marketable the 2nd time around? Tough question, I know. I was thinking of e-mailing the programs I interviewed at specifically to let them know I will be applying again next year and would appreciate their consideration a 2nd time around or something like that, i don't know .... Anyone with advice on this?
I did not match last year. Only had one interview. I emailed the PD of the program that interviewed me to thank her for the opportunity and to make her aware I truly love this and that I remain available should anything come up; she said she’d keep me in her mind if anything came up.. I thought it was just a courtesy email.. she eventually reached out to me a few months after and offered me a position from one of the fellows who had left the program.. I’m currently completing my first year of training.

You sound like a strong candidate, definitely reach out. Be humble and DONT lose hope

Reactions: 5 users
Don't give up. 2 years no match, grinded hard for post match and got it. If you love what you do, things will work out. Advice I almost didn't believe 🙃.

I was wondering if you guys can post your credentials here. It would give future applicants a gauge for next year and the year after

1-AMG/IMG/US-IMG
2- research: how many, what type, published or not ?
3- posters or oral presentation ?
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying
5- your residency program( university vs community)
6- How many invitations you received
7- USMLE 1/2/3.
8- where did you match?

1-Non US-IMG
2- research: 8 Pubmed publications
3- 4 poster presentation (2 at CHEST) and 2 QI project
4-No sleep medicine or Chief year
5- Community Program
6- 25, went to 23
7- USMLE 235/252/247
8- University program #2 choice (Top 12 in the nation in pulmonary) but most important the faculty and PD really seem to want me.

I notice that asking for LORs to people that really know you matter the most, they always mention your letters in the IVs, be sure LORs are very specific.

Congrats to all that matched and for those who did not; NEVER GIVE UP, do a chief year, sleep or just improve your CV, this fellowship is amazing and I really think is life changing, so continue fighting for it. (If you want you can message me in here for next year)

Reactions: 1 user
1- US MD
2- Research: High quality experiences w renowned PCCM researchers and great LORs
3- Posters: Handful of posters from med school (non PCCM related), 1 pub from med school (non PCCM)
4- No Sleep or Chief year
5- University: T10
6- 25, went on 14
7- 240s/250s/240s
8- University, #1 Choice, "Top" Reputation

------------------------------------------

I have so much I'd love to say about the process, but I'll keep this brief and simply add that I am very happy to discuss with anyone that may find it helpful. IMO, the most impactful parts of my application (my view, did not ask any PDs, etc):

1. Residency program reputation: I think my residency program name may have been especially important this year, when we couldn't meet in person. While this was a huge door-opener at many "top" programs, I do not think this is a pre-requisite to get interviews at these places. Many programs have a "holistic review" and I interviewed alongside many people who came from "academic-affiliated" and non "T50" programs. I list this mainly to acknowledge that I do think it was a factor in my application, but hope that this is not discouraging to others.

2. LOR: With "top" residency program, comes access to prominent figures in the field, who are doing field-leading research. This is why I came here, and I absolutely took advantage of that in developing as a physician-scientist. Working hard and earning their respect, and ultimately getting a great LOR from these individuals went a very long way. I did not have anyone reach out for me pre or post interview, just LOR.

3. Personal Statement: I received great feedback at every interview that my PS was insightful and unique. I think this absolutely helped me to "stand out" even among those from similar training backgrounds; from my perusal of this PCCM section of SDN, it does not seem to be emphasized much. I think you can definitely get by with a more generic PS and that this alone may not get you to a "reach" program, but it is an additional opportunity to tell programs about you and what you are passionate about.

Again, please please reach out to me on here if I can offer any guidance for future applicants or anyone with questions. Hope to have you all as colleagues in the future!

1- IMG
2- research: 4 publications including 1st author RCT but none in pulm

3- 10 case report posters at CHEST and ATS. 1 oral presentation at non-pulm conference

4- I am a PGY3 Chief Resident

5- Small community program

6- 10 invites, ranked them all

7- 231/248/225

8- Nr 4. Major community hospital affiliated with a med school. I had some university programs that I ranked lower just because I preferred to stay close to family, friends and my wife’s job

—————————————————————
My advice to IMGs especially form smaller programs is work harder than anyone else and don’t lose hoep. Send cases to CHEST and ATS. They accept almost anything from residents. Try to be chief at your program. It carried a lot of weight during my interviews. If I had to do it all over again, I would have focused on finding a mentor who I would have worked with for a long time before the match so they would make phone calls and send emails on my behalf to programs. So grateful that I made it in this tough season. Congrats to everyone who matched and best of luck to those who didn’t next year.

1-AMG/IMG/US-IMG?
US IMG

2- research how many, what type, published or not ?

1 published and 1 submitted at the time of application. None during residency.

3- posters or oral presentation ?
6 abstracts total. None during residency.

4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying
No. Working as a hospitalist for last 1 year at a big name university hospital. Did some research with Pulm crit faculty while working as a hospitalist.

5- your residency program? Community program w/ great reputation in PCCM academic community.

6- No of intervi 30 IVs total. Applied to mix of PCCM/Pulm and CCM
Ranked 19. Canceled almost all non PCCM invites.

7- USMLE 1/2/3. 250s/250s/240s

8- where did you match? mid tier University program in the south.

I think staying active in academics and research while working as a hospitalist helped me tremendously.

1- US MD
2- research: 4 publications as co-author, 1 press mention
3- 2 oral presentations (1 local and 1 international conference), 6 first author posters at international conferences
4- no sleep fellowship or chief year prior to applying
5- community residency program
6- 12 interviews received, 11 attended
7- 218/236/225
8- matched to my #1 ranked program- university program on the west coast

Will say after matching that the most important aspects are LoRs, research, and killing the interview day.

Last edited:
1- Non US IMG
2- Research: 6 publications
3- 2 oral presentations
4- PGY-3 Chief Resident
5- Small University program, no major PCCM reputation
6- 35 interviews received, ranked 20
7- USMLE 1/2/3, 259/245/239
8- matched to my #4 ranked program- Big university program in South

CCM applicant

1-US DO, emergency med
2- research: 2 pubmed case reports
3- no oral presentations
4- no chief year
5- university program in south
6- applied 13, got 11 invites
7- 256/271/999 (comlex 3 only)
8- top choice university program in south

Had 3 really strong letters that I’m sure helped. Also had strong involvement and interest in education to make up for lack of research.

Last edited:
1. US IMG (non carib which I think matters)
2. No pubmed indexed publications
3. 1 oral presentation 1 poster
4. PGY4 chief
5. "Mid" tier large university program
6. 15 interviews
7. Steps 250s/240s/240s
8. Matched at my number 1, prominent west coast "community" program

Surprised at the caliber of places I interviewed at considering my lack of research. I was told at many interviews that my chief year and letters set me apart. I was also surprised with the sheer competitiveness this year.

Don't give up. 2 years no match, grinded hard for post match and got it. If you love what you do, things will work out. Advice I almost didn't believe 🙃.
Glad it worked out for you. These darn emails from programs constantly pointing out that I didn’t match pulm/crit and I should consider their ID or nepho/crit program just add insult to injury. How do they even have my contact info? Is there a list of unmatched applicants that programs can see?

1. US DO
2. 3 publications, had a couple others pending while interviewing
3. 3 posters
4. No chief year
5. Mid tier large university program
6. 14 invites, attending 13, ranked all 13
7. 235/262/760 (no step3, only level 3)
8. Matched at #4 in Midwest at a big university program. Location was really important to me so I ranked more so based on location.

who you know & where you train (the “name”) really does matter in medicine. Find a good mentor early on and be active in research, education, etc whatever your passion lies in PCCM. Trust the process, do your best and you will end up where you belong.

For the other DOs out there, I didn’t feel as much discrimination in fellowship as I did in residency as far as selection for interviews go.

Glad it worked out for you. These darn emails from programs constantly pointing out that I didn’t match pulm/crit and I should consider their ID or nepho/crit program just add insult to injury. How do they even have my contact info? Is there a list of unmatched applicants that programs can see?
Just like you get an unfilled list, they get one too.

1. US DO
2/3. 6 publications, 2 posters with a few of both pending
4. Not a chief, no AOA
5. Mid tier large university program
6. 8 invites, 8 interviews (very limited geographically)
7. Step 1/2 260s/250s, COMLEX 1/2 >700, passed COMLEX 3.
8. #5, initially was somewhat surprised. Looking at the NRMP data I'm less surprised. Regardless, I'm excited to start the next phase of training.

Best of luck to future applicants!