Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any information about the program??pls provide input
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewed at LSU- Shrevport? Or any info regarding this program. thanks

More on the anyone/anybody theme. Has anyone heard from UMass ? Am sure that all places must have sent out some interviews by now ....

Got my MSSM invite today! I'm guessing some folks must've canceled theirs.

More on the anyone/anybody theme. Has anyone heard from UMass ? Am sure that all places must have sent out some interviews by now ....

Can anyone share inputs on interview at UTMB, Galveston?

If anyone wants to share interview impressions anonymously, I will post them if you PM to me, leaving your name off of course.

If anyone wants to share interview impressions anonymously, I will post them if you PM to me, leaving your name off of course.

Isn't the entire forum anonymous anyway? No one's name on here is their real name....but I guess you could be anonymous about your already anonymous self??:scared:

just wanted to share list of interview questions as might be expected.

1 why PCCM?
2 which interests you more pulm or critical care? (of course reasons to back up)
3 what will you be doing 5 or 10 years from now?
4 why our program?
5 why should we pick you?
6 tell me about yourself?
7 strengths
8 weakness

if anyone has anything to add please do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invite from University of Tennessee yesteray.....

Is it over for this season? Should we expect more invitations after this time?!

Last edited:
That is an excessively high number of interviews for a program that seems hell bent on only taking internal candidates.:idea:

Rush's problem, if you can really call it that . . . is that they are one of the "other" programs in the Chicago area. There's a feeding frenzy for NWern and UChicago, to a lesser extent Loyola, and UIC and Rush are kind of left with the leftovers, not because they are "bad programs" - they are not, but since Pulm/Crit actually has really few cream candidates interviewing when compared to all of the available positions, they go where they want, which is usually bigger named academic programs, and the rest of the programs fill with what is left.

Though 20 interview per positions sounds like a program that got bitten once and didn't fill during a match not too long ago.

Hi everyone, like most of you here I am not a superstar...I got only a few IV calls, but I am ON HOLD form Albert Einstein, BRONX ..a very decent prog on mah list.So Any of you is not planning to IV there ,Please cancel your slot there so ppl like me can get some iv .. Thanks

Is it over for this season? Should we expect more invitations after this time?!
I just got a Washington Hopsital Center Invite for pulm crit today, this group rotates with Georgetown fellows. I think they just sent out invites, they are offering 6 interview dates. There are some programs just now sending out invites still...

applied to 30 and 12 invites so far...cancelled 2

Can anyone offer up some info on the program at the University of Missouri-Columbia? I will be interviewing there in early October and was just wondering if anybody out there could tell me what this program is like.

Thank you in advance. Good luck to all!

I have an interview coming for ohio state.Any information about the program would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi guys congrats on the interviews. I heard a rumor that Hahnemann's/Drexel's program is on probation. Anyone know this for sure?

Also has anyone heard from the Brooklyn programs (SUNY and Methodist) or St. Lukes Roosevelt? I take it no invite this late in the game = reject.

Anyone has any info on University of Utah, who well is there Pulmonary and critical care program ranked?

Last edited:
Hi guys congrats on the interviews. I heard a rumor that Hahnemann's/Drexel's program is on probation. Anyone know this for sure?

Also has anyone heard from the Brooklyn programs (SUNY and Methodist) or St. Lukes Roosevelt? I take it no invite this late in the game = reject.

I have the same exact question... I haven't heard back from most NY programs (except for cornell and columbia) and at this point am not sure if No invite = reject as it's about half way into interview for many places.

I have a friend at Drexel who's a pulm fellow and I'll ask him about the status of his program and whether they're on probation or not.

Dmitri

I have the same exact question... I haven't heard back from most NY programs (except for cornell and columbia) and at this point am not sure if No invite = reject as it's about half way into interview for many places.

I have a friend at Drexel who's a pulm fellow and I'll ask him about the status of his program and whether they're on probation or not.

Dmitri

Thanks and keep us informed about Drexel.

I heard this from a very good source whom has a position overseeing GME programs in Philadelphia but they couldn't tell me much more. If we have no good answer, how do we bring this up when ranking Drexel? Is is best to ask the status of probation to the program coordinator? I cant see myself having the nerve to ask the PD or other faculty. Take care guys and good luck!!

Thanks and keep us informed about Drexel.

I heard this from a very good source whom has a position overseeing GME programs in Philadelphia but they couldn't tell me much more. If we have no good answer, how do we bring this up when ranking Drexel? Is is best to ask the status of probation to the program coordinator? I cant see myself having the nerve to ask the PD or other faculty. Take care guys and good luck!!

It is totally appropriate to ask about this at the interview. The PD should expect the question, and may even pre-empt the question during the introductory session.

Got Methodist (Brooklyn) invite yesterday. Adding Temple, Cooper, and Lankenau. Anyone heard from SUNY Brooklyn?

AGH
Albert Einstein (Philly)
Arizona
Baylor
Brigham
Brown
Boston U
Case Western
Carilion Clinic
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Colorado
Columbia
Cook County
Cooper
Cornell (Queens)
Cornell (Presbyterian)
Dartmouth
Drexel
Duke
Eastern Tennessee
East Carolina University
Emory
Georgetown
Georgia Health Sciences University (formerly Med College of GA)
Henry Ford
Indiana University
Iowa University
Lankenau
LSU
Loma Linda
Louisville
Loyola
Maryland
MGH
Mayo (Rochester)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Methodist (Brooklyn)
Minnesota
Miami
Montefiore (Bronx)
MUSC
North Carolina
NYU
OHSU
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
RUSH
Stanford
Stony Brook
Temple
Texas Southwestern
Texas Tech
TJUH (Jefferson)
Tufts
Tulane
UAB
UC Davis
UCLA
UCLA Harbor
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC + LAC
UIC
Upenn
Utah
UTMB Galveston
University of Chicago
University of Florida Jacksonville
University of Florida Gainesville
University of Missouri, Columbia
University of Nebraska Medical Center
University of Oklahoma
University of S. Alabama
University of Washington, Seattle
University of Wisconsin
Vandy
Vermont
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Winthrop
Yale

I got an interview from SUNY Brooklyn (Downstate) about 2 weeks ago, can't remember who was asking about that program.

Anyone ever hear anything from CPMC San Francisco???

Guess that the season is over out of 34 zero interviews, figured being a US grad and boarded would help with getting in the door at least. Is it just programs prefer people still in residency over people that have gone private for a time (only one year really)?

Guess that the season is over out of 34 zero interviews, figured being a US grad and boarded would help with getting in the door at least. Is it just programs prefer people still in residency over people that have gone private for a time (only one year really)?

I strongly suspect that programs will chose a current resident over a hospitalist, except of course the hospitalist's CV is very HOT!
That said, I am very very surprised Pagandoc that you had zero interviews. Really absurd for a US grad even with one year out of residency. Something went wrong somewhere. I say this because I know an IMG about 3 years out of residency with over 10 interviews as we speak.

Ensure your application was transmitted to all the programs you applied to; make sure your letters are good; carefully choose your programs and possibly avoid the elites if you can. Consider applying to about 50 programs just to maximize chances. Just a few of the housekeeping issues I think you should pay attention to.

Overall a US graduate has a very good chance, whether current resident or not.
Good luck

Any red flags? That seems strange. How broadly did you apply?

Are all your publication in something that ISN'T pulmonary and critical care, like you've got 3 years of cardiology abstracts?? Sometimes a girl does want to be the second choice, ya know?

Yes, programs prefer people straight out of residency. This is especially true if you are in private practice or hospitalist and not in academics.

For whatever reason, the academians have suspicions toward the private practice crowd.

They have biases if you have been out of residency and want to go back to fellowship.

1. They feel as if you may not adjust to life as a fellow. You may have a difficult time going from the one calling the shots to being a fellow who has to work under attendings. You may have a difficult time with the hours and being on call again and not getting many days off. You may have a difficult time coping with the huge pay cut. You may have a tough time going from just rounding on patients to having to do research, journal clubs, teaching to residents / med students, etc.

2. They believe you are entering the field for all the wrong reasons. They think maybe you are entering the fellowship more because you are sick of your current job and not because you have a passion for what field you are applying for.

3. They are suspicious that one day during fellowship you may get sick of it and frustrated and leave to go back to whatever you were doing, hospitalist or whatever.

For those above reasons, yes, there is bias about some programs outright preferring to choose residents over people who are out practicing in private practice.

Anyone know how Case Western is?
Anyone interviewed there - current fellows or whoever have interviewed there in the past, could you please share your experience? Would greatly appreciate it.

Anyone interviewed there - current fellows or whoever have interviewed there in the past, could you please share your experience? Would greatly appreciate it.

Supposed to be good.

But don't know too much more than that. Definitely worth checking out.

You guys are silent these days??? Busy with travel ???

Which one Metrohealth or case medical

Hello guys,

I have been scanning these forums for awhile and im almost done with my interviews. I need a genuine advice regarding the ranking list. I've interviewed at LSU shreveport and St Elizabeth Boston and i'm having a hard time deciding on which program i should rank 3rd and 4th as ive made my decision already on the first 2 spots.

Thank you

Hello guys,

I have been scanning these forums for awhile and im almost done with my interviews. I need a genuine advice regarding the ranking list. I've interviewed at LSU shreveport and St Elizabeth Boston and i'm having a hard time deciding on which program i should rank 3rd and 4th as ive made my decision already on the first 2 spots.

Thank you

Think about your career, first. Which one will give you the stuff you want. You want EBUS? Who's doing it more? You want to see a lot pulmonary hypertension or interstitial lung disease? Who's doing more of that or has an expert in that or has a sub-sub-specialty clinic in that? You want a critical care experience that includes neuro and/or surgical and/or CV? Which one has that?

Consider like that - get the training you want, because you won't be doing it again - if all other things being equal, go with the location you like better.

If location won't decide it for you, go with your gut.

Remember, the match is set up to benefit the applicant, so you are not penalized for ranking how you like the programs. There is no strategy outside of putting them in order of how you like the programs.

Good luck. Hope you get that number 1 or 2 and it's a non-issue :xf:

Thx alot for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Thank you

How is SUNY buffalo (University at Buffalo)?

I got an interview there but not much info.

Case western metrohealth
(Is this not good..????)

How is SUNY buffalo (University at Buffalo)?

I got an interview there but not much info.

How many interviews do you have??

You don't have to answer that question, but if you are in anyway nervous about finding a match, then go check them out. If you've got enough interviews, I doubt there is enough about either program that would require you to go see what's up.

If you're going to chose just one, pick buffalo.

might be because of being a hospitalist but that shouldn't be such a big issue, unfortunately I didn't get any research in during residency in pulmonary and my abstracts were on 2 cases of confirmed hepatitis E. Over all I don't think I have any red flags that would prohibit me from being a good candidate but I didn't ask to read my letters so unsure if they wrote something that might have been troubling. Hopefully I can find a spot during scramble but doubt it. Guess i'll try again for 2014 and try to talk to some program directors to see what they felt made me a bad candidate.

Hey guys, I got an interview offer from University of South Florida in Tampa and Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC (Sloan is for 2 year Pulmonary Disease)?

Does anybody have any information about either of these two program? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.