Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I got an interview offer from University of South Florida in Tampa and Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC (Sloan is for 2 year Pulmonary Disease)?

Does anybody have any information about either of these two program? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Both are supposed to good.

Members don't see this ad.

Got 3 more interviews. Cleveland Clinic, IU and Case.
Does anybody know about these programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's too early but I am done with my interviews...... I just want to know how would others rank these programs, I am a little unsure.

University of Utah
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Ohio state university
SLU
Medical college of Wisconsin
University of Oklahoma
Wayne state university

Maybe it's too early but I am done with my interviews...... I just want to know how would others rank these programs, I am a little unsure.

University of Utah
Ohio state university
SLU
University of Oklahoma
Wayne state university

Depends on your career/research interests, where you want to live and eventually settle down in - unfortunately only you can answer those questions. Looking at it from a purely academic standpoint -

1. Ohio State University
2. University of Wisconsin-Madison (you could argue between 1 and 2)
3. Utah
4. Medical College of Wisconsin (can argue between 4 and 5)
5. Wayne State University
6. SLU
7. Oklahoma

For people asking rank order list advice, it may be good if you can state what you are looking for in programs and in your career (including location). Otherwise you might as well use the US World News rankings, or NIH funding..

Does anyone have any clues about the Yale Program? They have invited a lot of applicants to interview this year it seems.. just wondering if they have anything to be nervous about.:confused:

University of Utah
Ohio state university
SLU
University of Oklahoma
Wayne state university

It really depends on what you want to do with your career as already mentioned. And what's the deal with Wayne and Henry Ford? All one program now? A lot of overlap between two programs? What?

I like em:

Wisconsin
Utah
MCoW
Ohio State
SLU
Oklahoma
Wayne

Does anyone have any clues about the Yale Program? They have invited a lot of applicants to interview this year it seems.. just wondering if they have anything to be nervous about.:confused:

Might have expanded a by a spot - got some money to add a fellow.

Might also be it's hard to recruit to New Haven.

Program is supposed to be good. No transplant there though.

any info on UPMC? Has anyone interviewed there? What is their schedule like?

any info on UPMC? Has anyone interviewed there? What is their schedule like?

24098702.jpg

What's that supposed to mean? Asking for general idea about the program, did not mean to interrupt the flow.

Interrupt the "flow" all you want, but if you post a ridiculous generic question about a Top 3 program in any specialty, expect to get a beating.

97% of PCCM applicants would give both testicles/ovaries and a kidney to interview at Pitt. Asking about their schedule is kind of weak.

Interrupt the "flow" all you want, but if you post a ridiculous generic question about a Top 3 program in any specialty, expect to get a beating.

97% of PCCM applicants would give both testicles/ovaries and a kidney to interview at Pitt. Asking about their schedule is kind of weak.

That's not the point. No one in thread posted their interview experiences there. U may search the thread as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not the point. No one in thread posted their interview experiences there. U may search the thread as well.

It's busy.

They do a billion transplants a year - you do the math.

No one posts interview impression until after the match, if they do at all. That's been my experience around here. There may have been a UPMC review in the thread from two or three years ago.

You are still coming on as a troll... So strong!
If anyone matches at Pitt from here trust me, you will know all about it the day of the match.
Good luck and I'm sorry if you are not trolling. As jdh71 said, there is a good thread a few years old about upmc.

Thanks! They have around 15 interviewees each interview day and several interview days as well... So good to know:)

Hey folks...Can you please help me with my rank order list...I am looking for a program with strong clinical training...I can do some research if I have to...

1. Emory
2. UMDNJ Robert Wood
3. Uconn
4. St. Elizabeth Boston
5. Temple Philadelphia
6. University of Virginia
7. Carilion clinic
8. Texas A&M
9. University of Tennessee Knoxville-Pulmonary only

Hey folks...Can you please help me with my rank order list...I am looking for a program with strong clinical training...I can do some research if I have to...

1. Emory
2. UMDNJ Robert Wood
3. Uconn
4. St. Elizabeth Boston
5. Temple Philadelphia
6. University of Virginia
7. Carilion clinic
8. Texas A&M
9. University of Tennessee Knoxville-Pulmonary only

Isn't emory more research heavy? It's the "bigger name" academic program on your list . . . though back when I was interviewing I was told to avoid it . . . so I'm not sure how to rank it (things could have changed from a few years ago)

A&M is the real stand out on that list IMHO if you're interested in really good clinical training, especially ICU and Pulmonary HTN

The rest I don't know quite enough about to comment on in a helpful way. I can't imagine UVa is a bad spot though . . . or RW for that matter

Maybe based on what I think you want . . .

A&M
UVa
Emory
Temple
RW

The rest as you like them

Isn't emory more research heavy? It's the "bigger name" academic program on your list . . . though back when I was interviewing I was told to avoid it . . . so I'm not sure how to rank it (things could have changed from a few years ago)

A&M is the real stand out on that list IMHO if you're interested in really good clinical training, especially ICU and Pulmonary HTN

The rest I don't know quite enough about to comment on in a helpful way. I can't imagine UVa is a bad spot though . . . or RW for that matter

Maybe based on what I think you want . . .

A&M
UVa
Emory
Temple
RW

The rest as you like them

I would consider Emory on the top if you are looking for a big city and you are okay with living in Atlanta. Its also a reasonably bigger name academic program compared to others if you want to have that card in your hand.

Their 2.5 year clinical training program with 6 month research can prepare you for most things including interventional, transplant and pulmonary hypertension. Your programs are very spread out - so also choose on where you want to end up in the long run (especially if you want to go into private practice). Private practice in areas around A&M and UVa would would be a very different environment/city compared to private practice in Atlanta and Philadelphia.

I am also thinking about ranking Emory pretty high.. Can you/anyone else think of why you were asked to avoid it? Thanks!

I think things had changed alot in Emory...I have found them very supportive...I have yet to speak to a my friend's friend there though so i can't say for sure...
My wife is a physician too and she is applying for residency as well so I will need to go to a place where there are some places around where she can try her luck...
I am thinking to rank them as follows but I am very open to suggestions so please do suggest if I am doing something wrong:

Emory
UVA
UMDNJ
Temple
Uconn
Texas A&M
St. Elizabeth
Uni of Tennessee- They will start offering combined fellowship from 2014 if not 2013...
Carilion clinic

You have to do what is best for you. Nothing wrong with that rank list.

I think things had changed alot in Emory...I have found them very supportive...I have yet to speak to a my friend's friend there though so i can't say for sure...
My wife is a physician too and she is applying for residency as well so I will need to go to a place where there are some places around where she can try her luck...
I am thinking to rank them as follows but I am very open to suggestions so please do suggest if I am doing something wrong:

Emory
UVA
UMDNJ
Temple
Uconn
Texas A&M
St. Elizabeth
Uni of Tennessee- They will start offering combined fellowship from 2014 if not 2013...
Carilion clinic

Emory
UVA
UMDNJ
Temple
Uconn
Texas A&M
St. Elizabeth
Carilion clinic

If your wife's matching close to you is a genuine concern, I would rank UMDNJ and Temple above UVA. Many more residency programs in the same city. UVA is close to some others, but pretty much the only one in Charlottsville.

Hi all, just wanted some input with ranking these programs. I'm looking for a well rounded program that gives me an opportunity to pursue academics
-Beth israel new york
-Cleveland clinic
-Tulane
-SUNY upstate
-Temple
-Albany
-Uni south alabama
-east carolina.

If your wife's matching close to you is a genuine concern, I would rank UMDNJ and Temple above UVA. Many more residency programs in the same city. UVA is close to some others, but pretty much the only one in Charlottsville.

I'd bet pretty good money that any program on that list would go to bat for their new fellows wife with the PD of IM. I don't think getting her matched after he matches will be a huge problem, except maybe the IM program at Emory (though they may have learned their lesson from three or four years back)

Hi all, just wanted some input with ranking these programs. I'm looking for a well rounded program that gives me an opportunity to pursue academics
-Beth israel new york
-Cleveland clinic
-Tulane
-SUNY upstate
-Temple
-Albany
-Uni south alabama
-east carolina.

Eh. What do you want to do in academics?? Mostly clinical work, or do you want to continue research after fellowship?

i finished interviewing, and have emailed the programs but the PD or chairman from most programs have not responded.
should i wait for the responses or just go ahead with my ranking? do they respond only to people they think are prospective fellows? how does this work.

I'm not sure why your rank list should be effected by PD responses.

mostly clinical work, clinical research on the side

Eh. What do you want to do in academics?? Mostly clinical work, or do you want to continue research after fellowship?
mostly clinical work, clinical research on the side

i finished interviewing, and have emailed the programs but the PD or chairman from most programs have not responded.
should i wait for the responses or just go ahead with my ranking? do they respond only to people they think are prospective fellows? how does this work.

I'm kind of mortified every year that, in just 2 short years, so many residents have forgotten how the process works.

Did you only rank IM programs that responded to your love letters? Or did you just "rank 'em how you like(d) 'em"? Because that's how you should have done it. The same applies in this situation.

I'm kind of mortified every year that, in just 2 short years, so many residents have forgotten how the process works.

Did you only rank IM programs that responded to your love letters? Or did you just "rank 'em how you like(d) 'em"? Because that's how you should have done it. The same applies in this situation.

Calm down. Just need info. Not your judgements.

You're not going to hear back.

I hope you didn't tell more than one program they were number one. - PD's know each other and do talk.

If you want to send a SINGLE love letter to the program you like the most, send a polite and short message to that PD and be done with it.

Never expect a response.

I am interested in going into academics.I have listed with out any particular order.
1.Tulane
2.Case western
3.carilion Clinic
4.Ohio State
5.University of texas at Houston
6.St.Elizabeth Boston
7.Texas A&M
8.University of tennessee-Memphis
9.University of Iowa

-Beth israel new york
-Cleveland clinic
-Tulane
-SUNY upstate
-Temple
-Albany
-Uni south alabama
-east carolina.

What i would suggest:
Cleveland clinic
Temple
beth israel
SUNY upstate
Uni south alabama
east carolina
tulane

Do you really want to do clinical research on the side??

I'm not a fellowship interviewer, so you can level with me.
haha good one. yes I actually do want to do clinical research. maybe a 70/30 mix

What i would suggest:
Cleveland clinic
Temple
beth israel
SUNY upstate
Uni south alabama
east carolina
tulane
thanks for the input. didn't think tulane would be so low in the list.

Is a 70/30 mix logistically doable?

As a career?

70 research/30 clinical?
Yes...if you have your own funding to cover that 70%...or at least a big chunk of it. That sweet Medicare slush fund money that kept many academics afloat is going, going, gone. At best, you can hope for a year or 3 of that kind of a deal and then you'd best be earning your keep one way or another.

70 clinical/30 research?
If you don't mind an underpaid clinical career and an unproductive research career then this is absolutely do-able.

My personal experience?
On paper, I'm 50/50. By pay I'm 80/20 (clinical/research). By actual effort I'm 5/95 (clinical/research).

I am interested in going into academics.I have listed with out any particular order.
1.Tulane
2.Case western
3.carilion Clinic
4.Ohio State
5.University of texas at Houston
6.St.Elizabeth Boston
7.Texas A&M
8.University of tennessee-Memphis
9.University of Iowa

Iowa is the only one on that list that will give you a real shot at an academic research career.
Ohio and Case are both also supposed to be good
The rest aren't particularly academic stand-outs - the rest as you like them. I am a fan of A&M.
I'd probably rank St. E's last - good pulm cases in boston just isn't going to go to St. E's.

-Beth israel new york
-Cleveland clinic
-Tulane
-SUNY upstate
-Temple
-Albany
-Uni south alabama
-east carolina.

CC will probably be the best spot for you to get involved in some kind of good and real clinical research.
The rest aren't really stand-outs rank them how you liked them best.

As a career?

70 research/30 clinical?
Yes...if you have your own funding to cover that 70%...or at least a big chunk of it. That sweet Medicare slush fund money that kept many academics afloat is going, going, gone. At best, you can hope for a year or 3 of that kind of a deal and then you'd best be earning your keep one way or another.

70 clinical/30 research?
If you don't mind an underpaid clinical career and an unproductive research career then this is absolutely do-able.

My personal experience?
On paper, I'm 50/50. By pay I'm 80/20 (clinical/research). By actual effort I'm 5/95 (clinical/research).

This. A million times this. I'm currently on a training grant at 20/80 time and it never feels like enough time in the lab to really get anything done as much as I'd like - though I'm handicapped, I don't come at this with a PhD, and I should have just stuck to clinical based research :laugh:

Ok, how are you all letting your top programs know that they are your top? Email? Phone call? I'm not getting much response to the two programs I liked (both where I got a very good vibe) by email. Any input from those who have matched would be greatly appreciated.

N

Ok, how are you all letting your top programs know that they are your top? Email? Phone call? I'm not getting much response to the two programs I liked (both where I got a very good vibe) by email. Any input from those who have matched would be greatly appreciated.

N

I sent a single email to the PD of the program I liked the best. I told her that I would be ranking the program #1 gave a few quick reasons why. And left it at that. I didn't hear back - not even a thank you for your email kind of email.

Matched to my number 1.

I've not asked if it made a difference or not - mostly because I don't want to know :laugh:

But that's what I did. And it's the only thing I suggest if you're planning on doing anything. Like I said before - do NOT play games - most of the PD's talk to each other - so don't tell more than one place they are your number one (could backfire bigtime) and don't tell half your list you'll be "ranking them highly". It's vague, stupid, and smells of gaming.

The good news is, that at least if you tell your number one they are your number one and then you match there, they will know that you mean what you say and say what you mean.

Good luck! :thumbup: :xf: :luck:

Thanks. I was starting to feel like I was really reading this whole thing wrong. That makes me feel alot better. I wonder why this is-- in residency I definitely recall getting responses from my top two programs. Have you heard if this is the standard protocol?

N

I sent a single email to the PD of the program I liked the best. I told her that I would be ranking the program #1 gave a few quick reasons why. And left it at that. I didn't hear back - not even a thank you for your email kind of email.

Matched to my number 1.

I've not asked if it made a difference or not - mostly because I don't want to know :laugh:

But that's what I did. And it's the only thing I suggest if you're planning on doing anything. Like I said before - do NOT play games - most of the PD's talk to each other - so don't tell more than one place they are your number one (could backfire bigtime) and don't tell half your list you'll be "ranking them highly". It's vague, stupid, and smells of gaming.

The good news is, that at least if you tell your number one they are your number one and then you match there, they will know that you mean what you say and say what you mean.

Good luck! :thumbup: :xf: :luck:

Thanks.

Like I said before - do NOT play games - most of the PD's talk to each other - so don't tell more than one place they are your number one (could backfire bigtime) and don't tell half your list you'll be "ranking them highly". It's vague, stupid, and smells of gaming.

This can be even worse than you might think if you do it wrong. My program's PD has a brother and a cousin who are both PDs in the same specialty at two different, similarly "ranked" programs. They have a pretty generic last name (and the cousin's name is different) so you wouldn't necessarily know it. You can bet your ass they share their rank lists and "inside dirt" when the time comes.

So not only do PDs talk, sometimes they sit around the same table at Thanksgiving dinner.