Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship 2020/2021 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1-US MD
2- research: an oncology 2nd author pub, 2 first author case reports, a second author case report
3- posters: 5 at time of submission
4- Did you do a year of sleep medicine prior to applying: no
5- your residency program: university
6- How many invitations you received: 8
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 225/240s/240s
8- where did you match: large top 20 university program

My advice is to do things that make you stand out. I have a unique interest in medicine and that was something I got asked about on every interview. I had great LORs and spent a lot of time on my personal statement. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who just matched! From reading this thread it seems like it was a really competitive year. I'm looking to apply next cycle and wanted to get some input about West coast program impressions from everyone who just went through the process.

I have a pretty narrow geographic range and am primarily interested in UCSD, UCLA, U Colorado, UCSF based on recommendations from my program faculty (large academic). Of those I am most interested in hearing about the impression of UCSD vs UCLA since I have family in the SD area and would be most interested in that program, but would also move to LA if necessary. Interested in a career in PH vs ILD (likely PH, I wanted to do CHF for a long time before making the switch to PCCM) as primarily a clinician educator who does some clinical research. Not particularly interested in the NIH K funding pathway, but could maybe come to like it depending on the program.

Would training at a place like UCSD have enough of a reputation in academia to provide good academic job prospects outside of the institution after fellowship? I just don't want to close any doors in case my spouse wants to move to, say, Colorado or Boston at some point down the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! It's so hard to get a feel for the general reputation and opportunities afforded by various programs.

Congratulations to everyone who just matched! From reading this thread it seems like it was a really competitive year. I'm looking to apply next cycle and wanted to get some input about West coast program impressions from everyone who just went through the process.

I have a pretty narrow geographic range and am primarily interested in UCSD, UCLA, U Colorado, UCSF based on recommendations from my program faculty (large academic). Of those I am most interested in hearing about the impression of UCSD vs UCLA since I have family in the SD area and would be most interested in that program, but would also move to LA if necessary. Interested in a career in PH vs ILD (likely PH, I wanted to do CHF for a long time before making the switch to PCCM) as primarily a clinician educator who does some clinical research. Not particularly interested in the NIH K funding pathway, but could maybe come to like it depending on the program.

Would training at a place like UCSD have enough of a reputation in academia to provide good academic job prospects outside of the institution after fellowship? I just don't want to close any doors in case my spouse wants to move to, say, Colorado or Boston at some point down the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! It's so hard to get a feel for the general reputation and opportunities afforded by various programs.

If you're interested in PH, UCSD is THE place to be, followed by temple and UTSW. UCSD also has many research opportunities and a healthy mix of career plans post-fellowship in research, academic clinician, and private practice roles. If you aren't interested in the NIH K funded career path, UCSF might not be a good fit, as fellows are expected to stay for a 4th research year.

there's also a thread that breaks down strengths/weaknesses of some western programs: Academic programs with strong clinical training??

but again, given the competitiveness of the field, would recommend applying broadly both for geography and "prestige" -- limiting yourself to a specific and competitive geographic area (socal and Denver are very popular places to move to) might hurt you, unless you're a super competitive applicant or you play up the local ties

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need 10+ publications for pccm. If you're at a reputable IM program and have some research in progress you'll be fine.

Anybody knows when programs are starting to send contracts? Like usually in which month they are send?

Anybody knows when programs are starting to send contracts? Like usually in which month they are send?
No idea!

still waiting to hear from the place I matched. No contact other then the PDs email of congratulation.

Intern here looking to apply for pccm in two years. Question is: I know more research is better but is it possible to get pccm with just abstracts and case reports? I know that sounds like a cop out question but just TBH I have interests outside of medicine and I know real research projects take a lot of time. Willing to do them if I have to though.
USDO at medium sized univ program
Step 1/2 >270
Comlex -no one cares but level 3 was 900+
Top 5% med school class
Research: pending third auth case report and a few abstracts pending. Working on another case report and whatever I can get chest or ats or acp to say “ok” to
No letters yet but I have one pccm who I’ll ask for one next year
Good evals so far.
ite 100th percentile (no one cares but maybe our in house pccm program)

do I have to get some metas or real research? Community programs are fine for me since I want to live in small town anyway for practice

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
IM 3rd year here.
Unfortunately I did not match in CCM or PCCM. I had total of 7 IV this past season.
1- IMG with H1B visa
2- research: 3 published articles in cardiology (high impact journals, middle author), 4 posters in CHEST 2020 (1 abstract first author in original research), 3 posters ACS 2020 (1 case report first author), 1 case report published as first author, 3 published research in hemato/oncology (middle author).
3- posters: Total of 5
5- your residency program: community program
6- How many invitations you received: 7 (4 and 3)
7- USMLE 1/2/3: 230's/230's/220's All first attempt

I applied to a few programs of each one, mostly in the area where I leave or I like.

I was wondering what could be the best next step for my application.

1st option: hospitalist or critical care hospitalist and complete my research in my same institution.
2nd option: non accredited fellowship (looking to do POCUS, this is a topic that I am really interested in)
3rd option: 4th year chief resident.

Regarding my visa, I am about to switch to EAD (I am engaged now), but I don't know how long this would take.

I wonder if there is any option better than the other one for the next season, I believe that if I do hospitalist, I will wait 2 years to apply, the other 2 options I would apply this season. Any other things that I should be doing if I want to apply this 2021 season?

Thank you

Hey guys,

I have a similar question as Zent. I hope you can spare sometime to answer. How much does doing a 4th year chief position help. ( in your respective opinions)
Thank you in advance .

Hello everyone,
IM 3rd year here.
Unfortunately I did not match in CCM or PCCM. I had total of 7 IV this past season.
1- IMG with H1B visa
2- research: 3 published articles in cardiology (high impact journals, middle author), 4 posters in CHEST 2020 (1 abstract first author in original research), 3 posters ACS 2020 (1 case report first author), 1 case report published as first author, 3 published research in hemato/oncology (middle author).

I applied to a few programs of each one, mostly in the area where I leave or I like.

1st option: hospitalist or critical care hospitalist and complete my research in my same institution.
2nd option: non accredited fellowship (looking to do POCUS, this is a topic that I am really interested in)

Regarding my visa, I am about to switch to EAD (I am engaged now), but I don't know how long this would take.

I wonder if there is any option better than the other one for the next season, I believe that if I do hospitalist, I will wait 2 years to apply, the other 2 options I would apply this season. Any other things that I should be doing if I want to apply this 2021 season?

Well, I would start by striking option #2. Non-accredited fellowships aren't really going to enhance your application in a meaningful way. Plus, with your timeline you won't have actually been doing much in it by the time you're putting in your ERAS application.
Of the two remaining, I would recommend #3. A chief year keeps you in academics, generally gets you more points on an application than working as a hospitalist, and it's a tangible "thing you've done to improve your application" (which is always what programs look for in re-applicants.

I will say... you have a lot of research... but your published articles are in journals of other specialties.

Hey guys,

I have a similar question as Zent. I hope you can spare sometime to answer. How much does doing a 4th year chief position help. ( in your respective opinions)
Thank you in advance .

Chief years are good for the reasons listed above. They aren't necessary but... they help.

Reactions: 1 user
Intern here looking to apply for pccm in two years. Question is: I know more research is better but is it possible to get pccm with just abstracts and case reports? I know that sounds like a cop out question but just TBH I have interests outside of medicine and I know real research projects take a lot of time. Willing to do them if I have to though.

do I have to get some metas or real research? Community programs are fine for me since I want to live in small town anyway for practice

The answer to that, as with all things in medicine, is it depends.
The applications get more and more competitive each year, and a peer-reviewed publication > abstracts/case reports. If you can get one without giving up your life outside of medicine then go for it. If it would take away your free time outside of residency then it's not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
IM 3rd year here.
1- IMG with H1B visa

Thank you

Chief year is a complete waste IMO. Option 1 is the way to go, get the in at a place that had a fellowship, make some money in the process.

FYI I’m a pulm fellow finishing up and starting crit July. Worked as a hospitalist prior to it all, paid off my loans and extremely happy I did.