-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Purdue c/o 2016 hopefuls!
Started by EnvyPointers
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My interview was fairly straight-forward and relaxed. It's a half-hour long, but it felt like I was in there for 10 min. They will ask you some "fun" questions to try to get to know you, but I also read up on the school's strategic plan (which is their main goal at the moment. They love to expand and are really trying to be a forerunner.) Of course, study up on the usual "vet school interview questions" but otherwise, let your personality shine through. I had a friend who was mainly asked about her international study abroad experiences, while I was asked about my interest and knowledge of the food animal industry. Always ask them questions too! QUOTE]
You mention reading up on the strategic plan - where can we find that?
Thanks for all your info!! Super helpful!!!
This is what I pulled from the website. http://www.vet.purdue.edu/strategic_plan/StrategicPlan2008-2014.pdf
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is what I pulled from the website. http://www.vet.purdue.edu/strategic_plan/StrategicPlan2008-2014.pdf
That's what I thought you were refering to - thanks so much!!
Does anyone know where the best place to park would be? I'm trying to decide if I should rent a car so I can look around the city or if it might be best to stay as close to campus as possible and not worry about a car.
I was an undergrad at Purdue but its been a number of years so my info isn't up to date - but like many universities parking is tough - most areas near the school are by permit only - there is some off street parking but it will most likely be full. The bus system in Lafayette is really great but not sure how helpful it will be getting to and from when you aren't familiar with the campus. Maybe some of the current students can chime in on this one.
I was an undergrad at Purdue but its been a number of years so my info isn't up to date - but like many universities parking is tough - most areas near the school are by permit only - there is some off street parking but it will most likely be full. The bus system in Lafayette is really great but not sure how helpful it will be getting to and from when you aren't familiar with the campus. Maybe some of the current students can chime in on this one.
For my interview, they directed us to park in the visitors parking on Grant Street which was about three blocks from the vet school. That's what we did. For the campus tour, there was a bus, so no walking, but you will walk on the shorter tour of the vet school, so make sure your shoes are at least semi comfortable.
Just found this on Purdue's visitor page
http://www.purdue.edu/vic/navigating/parking.php
Has info about where there is a parking garage for visitors - this isn't too far from Lynn Hall - a couple blocks and is within walking distance
http://www.purdue.edu/vic/navigating/parking.php
Has info about where there is a parking garage for visitors - this isn't too far from Lynn Hall - a couple blocks and is within walking distance
Hey guys...anyone know if there's a website that lists the cost of attendance for Purdue's CVM for OOS vs. IS? And, if you're OOS, is it that way all 4 years or can you gain IS after the 1st year? I can't find anything on their website! Just trying to make some decisions...
Thanks for any help y'all can offer!
Thanks for any help y'all can offer!
hey current purdue-ers,
2 questions:
1) could you please help me find a link to some resource about purdue's curriculum? i really can't seem to find it on the website... if not, could you tell me a bit about the curriculum (how the years are arranged, etc etc...)
2) does purdue practice terminal surgeries?
thank you in advance!! =)
2 questions:
1) could you please help me find a link to some resource about purdue's curriculum? i really can't seem to find it on the website... if not, could you tell me a bit about the curriculum (how the years are arranged, etc etc...)
2) does purdue practice terminal surgeries?
thank you in advance!! =)
Hey guys...anyone know if there's a website that lists the cost of attendance for Purdue's CVM for OOS vs. IS? And, if you're OOS, is it that way all 4 years or can you gain IS after the 1st year? I can't find anything on their website! Just trying to make some decisions...
Thanks for any help y'all can offer!
Its a whooooole lot for OOS. haha. If its anything like last year they will give a whole financial aid seminar brimmed with huge numbers. Tuition and living costs for IS is about $31k, while OOS is $56k. The tuition itself is $42k for OOS and only $17k for IS. (that is over twice the cost for OOS 😡) Also those numbers are from last years school year and might have changed slightly, aka increasing IS tuition.
And unfortunately, with the rising costs of education, schools are less lenient about providing instate after a single year. The only way you can possibly gain IS is if you come here for a whole year before becoming accepted, or *I think* if your spouse moves and also gets a job/goes to school here. I'm not too sure about the last one, the requirements are very strict and its nearly impossible to attain IS.
hey current purdue-ers,
2 questions:
1) could you please help me find a link to some resource about purdue's curriculum? i really can't seem to find it on the website... if not, could you tell me a bit about the curriculum (how the years are arranged, etc etc...)
2) does purdue practice terminal surgeries?
thank you in advance!! =)
For the curriculum, I can't help you out too much, the Purdue website is still a maze for me. But I can tell you we have tracks, where in your second year you pick what you would like to focus on, either SA, LA, Mixed, Equine, or Food. Because I am only a first year I can't tell you too much about the electives, but you get to focus more on the courses that fit your track. However, I heard more and more students are following the mixed track because it is well-rounded. You still learn about other species and dabble a bit in everything with rotations, but it also allows you to focus on your track. My impression when I was comparing schools is that every school has a set curriculum and you can take electives to focus on what you want. Here at Purdue, it just seems a bit more formal with the formation of "tracks." Of course, I can't really compare until I have attended more than one vet school, which I don't intend to 😉, so you can ask other schools as well.
yeah, thank you!
i guess a related, more-specific question would be like... what classes are you taking this year? i really can't find any sort of schedule structure or anything like that on the site. it really is a maze!
Oh Oh!! I can answer this one... (like SJB said, the information on the tracks is laid out well, but I don't feel I can comment with confidence since I haven't been through them yet.)
Semester one we had: Histology (with lab), Physiology (with lab), Neuroscience (with lab), Husbandry (we got to play with sheep and cows and pigs and dogs and cats 😍) Anatomy (with lab), Behavior, Ethics, and Applications and Integrations (our PBL class.) We also had Grand Rounds about once a week.
Semester two we have: Histology II (with lab), Physiology II (with lab), Husbandry II, Anatomy II (with lab), Applications and Integrations II, Immunology, and Pharmacology. This semester some electives were also offered (Avian Physiology, Seasonal Activity of Birds, and International Veterinary Medicine.)
Does that help?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a pdf of the curriculum at Purdue that I got from their website attached.
You can also get it by going to http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/college.html and clicking the "DVM Plan of Study."
You can also get it by going to http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/college.html and clicking the "DVM Plan of Study."
Attachments
Last edited:
I have a pdf of the curriculum at Purdue that I got from their website attached.
You can also get it by going to http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/college.html and clicking the "DVM Plan of Study."
Thanks CoMC!! One of my friends was looking for that today and didn't know where to find that! 😀
hey current purdue-ers,
2 questions:
1) could you please help me find a link to some resource about purdue's curriculum? i really can't seem to find it on the website... if not, could you tell me a bit about the curriculum (how the years are arranged, etc etc...)
2) does purdue practice terminal surgeries?
thank you in advance!! =)
Oh! I also forgot about your question about terminal surgeries. Yes, Purdue does have this available as an elective and its not required, so you don't need to do it if you don't want to. Personally it was a plus for me to come to purdue. It sounds horrible, but the animals feel nothing and are put down at the end of the surgery. I would rather do a surgery for the first time on an animal already destined to be put down, rather than someone's pet that I want to save. Also, the comparison between a cadaver surgery and a live surgery is night and day and this is a huge advantage for a student to gain excellent surgery experience.
thank you both, coatofmanycolor and SouthJerseyBell! super helpful!
SouthJerseyBell, where in Jersey are you from? I grew up in Monmouth County... growing up, we'd fight to the death to defend our town as central Jersey but now that I live in Maryland :-/ any part of Jersey sounds lovely to me...
SouthJerseyBell, where in Jersey are you from? I grew up in Monmouth County... growing up, we'd fight to the death to defend our town as central Jersey but now that I live in Maryland :-/ any part of Jersey sounds lovely to me...
After MUCH debate and changing my mind about 1000 times, I've decided to decline my interview at Purdue. I got accepted to CSU (my in-state school) 2 days after I had accepted my interview at Purdue, and I just can't seem to convince myself that I will somehow be swayed towards Purdue when CSU has been my top choice for 4 years! I know it's a FANTASTIC school and I love their curriculum (from what I've seen online), but everything in my life really fits well with CSU (and who can turn down in-state tuition!!).
Best of luck to everyone in their interviews though!

Best of luck to everyone in their interviews though!


After MUCH debate and changing my mind about 1000 times, I've decided to decline my interview at Purdue. I got accepted to CSU (my in-state school) 2 days after I had accepted my interview at Purdue, and I just can't seem to convince myself that I will somehow be swayed towards Purdue when CSU has been my top choice for 4 years! I know it's a FANTASTIC school and I love their curriculum (from what I've seen online), but everything in my life really fits well with CSU (and who can turn down in-state tuition!!).
Best of luck to everyone in their interviews though!![]()
Good luck at CSU, ARC99! Enjoy vet school! 🙂
thank you both, coatofmanycolor and SouthJerseyBell! super helpful!
SouthJerseyBell, where in Jersey are you from? I grew up in Monmouth County... growing up, we'd fight to the death to defend our town as central Jersey but now that I live in Maryland :-/ any part of Jersey sounds lovely to me...
I'm from South Jersey (hehe couldn't resist that one), I do support the existence of central jersey as well, so it seems like only north jersians deny the existence. I am in Salem Co. down by the Delaware Memorial Bridge, Turnpike Exit 2!
thank you both, coatofmanycolor and SouthJerseyBell! super helpful!
SouthJerseyBell, where in Jersey are you from? I grew up in Monmouth County... growing up, we'd fight to the death to defend our town as central Jersey but now that I live in Maryland :-/ any part of Jersey sounds lovely to me...
Zoovet, nice to see another monmouth county pre vet that resides in md now haha small world
Lol, I went to school in Monmouth County and live in Middlesex county 🙂
Haha wow small world! Seems like there is a little but of jersey no matter where you go
Haha wow small world! Seems like there is a little but of jersey no matter where you go
lol Yup! absolutely! In my class at Purdue, the largest number of OOSers from one state is actually NJ!! There are 5 of us from almost all the corners (except down near cape may). Not having an IS, really makes us venture out.
*Bump!*
Some of you have interviews This Friday!!!! Good luck!! 😀

I'll be in classes all day but you are welcome to wander around and sit in with us 🙂
Some of you have interviews This Friday!!!! Good luck!! 😀


I'll be in classes all day but you are welcome to wander around and sit in with us 🙂
I interviewed at Purdue last year and got waitlisted, but yes I brought boots to change into last year and I plan on doing it again Friday 🙂 We drove to Purdue in a snow storm last year, so I was sure glad I had them. I looked a little silly in my black suit and brown boots....but my toes were warm! And I would have looked a bit more silly trying to trek through the snow in high heels, I think!
ahhhhhh. i am unreasonably anxious about this interview. (it's my first...)
err... can we bring boots to change into for the tour?
and for the FAFSA, what schools do we list if we fill it out now? the schools we've applied to?
You'll do great! Everyone is super friendly here, always welcoming so there is no need to be nervous.
And for the FASFA, you put all the schools that you are currently applying to. I listed 4 or 5 schools on mine because I didn't know at the time when I had the interviews. And YES to boots!! The weather here is crazy, today for example we had a huge thunderstorm this morning, 50 degrees, then during the day the wind picked up, temp dropped to sub-freezing and its now snowing. So be prepared for everything.

I'll be in Rm 1136 (right across from the library doors) from 9:30am to 12:20pm on friday with all the other first years if you want to stop in!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You'll do great! Everyone is super friendly here, always welcoming so there is no need to be nervous.
And for the FASFA, you put all the schools that you are currently applying to. I listed 4 or 5 schools on mine because I didn't know at the time when I had the interviews. And YES to boots!! The weather here is crazy, today for example we had a huge thunderstorm this morning, 50 degrees, then during the day the wind picked up, temp dropped to sub-freezing and its now snowing. So be prepared for everything.
I'll be in Rm 1136 (right across from the library doors) from 9:30am to 12:20pm on friday with all the other first years if you want to stop in!
You'll know her because she's the blonde who pronounces "water" as "wudder." 😀
Does anyone know if we should complete our FAFSA form before the interview? or is it something that should be done by the priority deadline?
My work has not given me my W-2 yet 🙁
My work has not given me my W-2 yet 🙁
Does anyone know if we should complete our FAFSA form before the interview? or is it something that should be done by the priority deadline?
My work has not given me my W-2 yet 🙁
No need to. The deadline for the FASFA is March 1st, so you need to have it done by then. If you submit it after March 1st, you will not be eligible for scholarships or grants. You also do not need to have your taxes done before submitting the FASFA. There is a box on the forms that says "yes I am filing for a tax return, but I have not submitted it yet" or something to that effect.
And just another unlovely reminder, there are no longer subsidized federal loans for graduate students. 🙁
You'll know her because she's the blonde who pronounces "water" as "wudder." 😀
Cause I just sit there saying "water" repeatedly all throughout lecture 😛
You can pick out Tator because she is the short one!! 😀 (And she sits in the third row, second seat from the center, on the left side of the classroom as you look up at the seats) 😉
You can pick out Tator because she is the short one!! 😀 (And she sits in the third row, second seat from the center, on the left side of the classroom as you look up at the seats) 😉
Because we all know that if you change your seat once the semester begins the planet will shift off of its rotation resulting in the end of the world.
Seriously, though, when you come for your interviews, you get the opportunity to sit in on our PBL class. Dooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt!! It's a class based on small groups so you would get plenty of interaction with students in a normal classroom setting. You'll get to ask questions and everyone is super friendly. Plus, it's warmer than the campus tour. 🙂
so on interview feedback someone wrote that they wish they'd come earlier even though they had an afternoon report time... I have the afternoon time, should I still only report at noon?
also oh man it's cooooold here!!!!
You can come early! Last year there were many tours of the hospital, a bus tour of campus, classes to sit in on, and more tables with students that you could talk with. My friend who is a lurker also said the same thing about when she interviewed. There is a bunch of things to see and absorb about the school that you might miss in the afternoon.
And in true fashion Indiana has blanketed itself with a welcome mat of snow. Just like last year.
Be thankful though, its a good 15 degrees warmer than when I had my interview!Definitely come in the morning even if you aren't scheduled to check in until noon. I got to the school at noon last year and my interview ended up being during the afternoon tour. And like Tator said, sit in on the PBL class (called A&I), I sat in last year and everyone was really nice and I promise we'll be nice too 🙂
How did most people dress for the banquet?
How did most people dress for the banquet?
I had my interview in the afternoon, so I just wore my suit to the banquet. Most people were in dressy business casual. You'll be sitting at your table with a faculty member who will most likely be in a suit, so you can't really be overdressed.
Also, I think SJB is crazy. It was 8 degrees when I got to school this morning. Eight. I do not remember it being that cold when we interviewed. So stay warm everyone!!! This is just Indiana saying "welcome!"
Good luck with your interviews!

Also, I think SJB is crazy. It was 8 degrees when I got to school this morning. Eight. I do not remember it being that cold when we interviewed. So stay warm everyone!!! This is just Indiana saying "welcome!"
The high temp for the day I interviewed was 0, but felt like -10. You know "life threateningly cold" lol
hey guys,
so I missed this yesterday but the thought occurred to me: of each pair of interviewers, was the admissions committee member (starred) the one that saw our files? it seemed intuitive but when I thought about it I figured maybe because there are fewer adcom members, maybe the 2nd interviewers served as like liasions to the committee and they're the ones that see the individual files? I felt like neither one really asked me ANYTHING about my grades, etc. which I absolutely expected to have to defend/explain
so I missed this yesterday but the thought occurred to me: of each pair of interviewers, was the admissions committee member (starred) the one that saw our files? it seemed intuitive but when I thought about it I figured maybe because there are fewer adcom members, maybe the 2nd interviewers served as like liasions to the committee and they're the ones that see the individual files? I felt like neither one really asked me ANYTHING about my grades, etc. which I absolutely expected to have to defend/explain
I had three people on my interview team. Two of them (a cardiologist and a radiation oncologist) told me they were on the admissions committee, and the third was a member of the IVMA and a mixed animal practitioner who introduced himself as a "non-voting" admissions committee member. I have no idea who got to see what in our files....but no one really asked me about my grades or anything on my application. So it wasn't just you 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was fortunate enough to have an interviewer I had already knew and who had worked as a high school student under the direction of my current employer. I was mainly asked ethical questions, business-related questions, and specific questions about the field as well as how I handle myself on an individual and professional basis.
-
-
do you think that's a good thing then? i'm just worried that post-interview they were like "hm, she's a very competent interviewee and has an excellent understanding of the profession/etc. (being hopeful) but wait, why are her freshman grades (all pre-reqs, basically) so weak?"
i just wish i'd had a chance to defend/explain them.... but i guess i did have an explanation statement...
also, i'm mildly worried that even though i went to a really prestigious, top 20 undergrad school (not bragging, i promise), that they won't recognize it (paranoia...) because people tend to be unfamiliar with it for some reason... and they may not consider that it's known for being particularly rigorous..

i just wish i'd had a chance to defend/explain them.... but i guess i did have an explanation statement...
also, i'm mildly worried that even though i went to a really prestigious, top 20 undergrad school (not bragging, i promise), that they won't recognize it (paranoia...) because people tend to be unfamiliar with it for some reason... and they may not consider that it's known for being particularly rigorous..

Just wanted to say good luck to all those interviewing this weekend!
My interview experience this year at Purdue was quite pleasant versus last year's interview!!
My interview experience this year at Purdue was quite pleasant versus last year's interview!!anyone interviewing this friday and want to share a hotel room thursday night? wouldn't mind splitting costs and having some company since I'm flying in alone.
and does anyone have a clue as to how to get from hotels nearby to purdue vet med? are there shuttles? or do we need to catch a cab?
and does anyone have a clue as to how to get from hotels nearby to purdue vet med? are there shuttles? or do we need to catch a cab?
do you think that's a good thing then? i'm just worried that post-interview they were like "hm, she's a very competent interviewee and has an excellent understanding of the profession/etc. (being hopeful) but wait, why are her freshman grades (all pre-reqs, basically) so weak?"
i just wish i'd had a chance to defend/explain them.... but i guess i did have an explanation statement...
also, i'm mildly worried that even though i went to a really prestigious, top 20 undergrad school (not bragging, i promise), that they won't recognize it (paranoia...) because people tend to be unfamiliar with it for some reason... and they may not consider that it's known for being particularly rigorous..
![]()
Just interviewed this past Friday and much like the others, grades never came up during our chat. Usually, most interviewers are sticklers for the 30 minute rule, however, mine ended up going close to 45 minutes.
During the interview, we mainly discussed my experience, both veterinary and non-veterinary, and they also asked some of the typical questions related to animal welfare, leadership, as well as terminal surgery. They also asked how I study and how I plan on handling the rigorous course load. I didn't mention my grade situation nor did they ask. My grades are mainly As and Bs, having more of the latter.