Purdue c/o 2016 hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My questions were mostly related to ethics, direction of vet med in the future, how I handle stress, debt, etc. I was never asked about specifics in terms of my experiences. I brought them up in relation to those "tell me about a time..." questions. I will be in the middle of something and think of an awesome answer to a certain question or think of something great I should have added...Oh well, that's part of the game I guess...
 
So trying to figure out how early I want to get there on Friday. I need to check in at noon but according to the interview schedule there are some interest tables in the morning for Equine track and Shelter Medicine Program, both things I'm interested in - but are they worth getting there 3 hours early?

Thoughts?
 
So trying to figure out how early I want to get there on Friday. I need to check in at noon but according to the interview schedule there are some interest tables in the morning for Equine track and Shelter Medicine Program, both things I'm interested in - but are they worth getting there 3 hours early?

Thoughts?

It seems like most people did get there early even if they weren't interviewing in the morning. If you're interested in those things then I would go to the interest tables--it's mostly just like a Q/A, pretty informal but there was a lot of good information. My interview was in the morning and I stayed all afternoon, so I see no reason not to do the reverse. Make sure that you feel comfortable interviewing though--I know some people like to just chill out and not take in anything before their interview and that's totally fine. Put the priority on the interview but go to anything you want to go to. I am of the inclination that if they are giving you info sessions and you are at the school you should go to as much as possible-might as well make the most of the trip. 🙂 Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's not necessary to go early - i stayed with a phd student so i had nothing to do in the morning anyway... the tours repeat, and there are plenty of info sessions... the only thing i'd say is that if it's important to you to really sit in on a class, you might have to get there early.. i think there was an afternoon PBL class that i peeked in on, but i missed i think immuno in the morning at like 10am? also, the bus tour overlapped with my interview slot, so i missed that... =/ but it was like 6 degrees anyway and campus seemed kind of dead...

but really, there's an enormous amount of information coming at you all day anyway, so you don't want to be overwhelmed come interview time. =) i'd say just to be safe, so you can check in before the crowds, strive to get there at like 11?

good luck! also i wish for you nicer weather than we had
 
wow, i am too high-strung.
i just got that like "thank you for interviewing," email from purdue and almost had a stroke...
i had to read it three times to realize that it didn't say anything along the lines of, "we cannot offer you a seat.."

PHEW. deeeeeep breaths.

also, people that interviewed last friday - what are your thoughts on thank you cards/emails? have you guys sent them yet?
 
For those of you stressing about not being able to talk about grades in your interview: You got an interview because you meet their requirements and they are not concerned about how low/average they might be at this point. The point of the interview is to view your personality, morale, and individuality. And they pick who they want to fit into their school as a person, not just as a student alone. So relax and enjoy the anticipation of waiting for the call!! 😀 (came around valentines day last year) 😉

wow, i am too high-strung.
i just got that like "thank you for interviewing," email from purdue and almost had a stroke...
i had to read it three times to realize that it didn't say anything along the lines of, "we cannot offer you a seat.."

PHEW. deeeeeep breaths.

also, people that interviewed last friday - what are your thoughts on thank you cards/emails? have you guys sent them yet?


I would definitely send a thank you email. I did and I gotta say I don't think it hurt me 🙄
 
Hi Everyone,
My interview is Friday and I'm flying out tomorrow🙂. I had a question about attending a class. When/where should I go to do that? Anything else I should try to see or do while I'm there? Thanks!
 
Hi Everyone,
My interview is Friday and I'm flying out tomorrow🙂. I had a question about attending a class. When/where should I go to do that? Anything else I should try to see or do while I'm there? Thanks!

I think they will have a schedule for you with classes that are around you can sit in on. For us first years though:
Anatomy lab 7:30am - 9:20am in 2214
Immuno 9:30-10:20am in 1136 (large lecture hall across from the library)
Physiology 10:30-11:20am in 1136
A&I (our PBL?) Downstairs below the library in G119/G155, or upstairs across the hallway from the anatomy lab.

Come take a peek! Especially if you can stand the fumes from anatomy 😀

And Good Luck!!!! :luck:
 
I think they will have a schedule for you with classes that are around you can sit in on. For us first years though:
Anatomy lab 7:30am - 9:20am in 2214
Immuno 9:30-10:20am in 1136 (large lecture hall across from the library)
Physiology 10:30-11:20am in 1136
A&I (our PBL?) Downstairs below the library in G119/G155, or upstairs across the hallway from the anatomy lab.

Come take a peek! Especially if you can stand the fumes from anatomy 😀

And Good Luck!!!! :luck:

I'm pretty sure you don't get to come into the anatomy lab, but I think they offer you a chance to come in and sit in our Immunology class, our Physiology class and our A&I class. (I would also not recommend taking the chance of getting the anatomy lab smell on your nice shoes or suit before your interview. 🙂 )

They should give you all of this information when you get your schedule for the day.

Good luck everyone!! :luck::luck::luck:
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you don't get to come into the anatomy lab, but I think they offer you a chance to come in and sit in our Immunology class, our Physiology class and our A&I class. (I would also not recommend taking the chance of getting the anatomy lab smell on your nice shoes or suit before your interview. 🙂 )

They should give you all of this information when you get your schedule for the day.

Good luck everyone!! :luck::luck::luck:


Party Pooper 😀
 
We're at the hotel! Thanks for letting me know about the classes. I can't wait to see everything tomorrow. Thanks again🙂
 
Hi. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed visiting Purdue. I really enjoyed the PBL class. Everyone was really nice. Thanks for all the help about classes!
 
hey,
so, i can't seem to remember when they said we'd hear back... was it sometime this week or later in february?
 
hey,
so, i can't seem to remember when they said we'd hear back... was it sometime this week or later in february?

I can't recall when they said we'd start to hear from them but fwiw it looks like last year's class started receiving calls around 2/16.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Inside sources have confirmed that the admissions committee has an all day meeting today to chose the class of 2016 - I bet we will have information very soon - good luck everyone!
 
Inside sources have confirmed that the admissions committee has an all day meeting today to chose the class of 2016 - I bet we will have information very soon - good luck everyone!

How reliable is this source? :scared:

Also, do they really call people to tell them about getting accepted? And do they still send letters? E-mails? 😕
 
The dean personally calls all applicants who are accepted. The acceptance packet is mailed after he's done making calls. All rejections/waitlist notifications are mailed out at approximately the same time as the acceptance packets.

Good luck you guys! I have my fingers crossed for all of you!!! :luck:
 
has anyone heard yet? wahhhhhhh i'm so anxious...

does the reliable source know when they'll start calling? :scared::xf:
 
i know, i keep refreshing this thread anxiously wondering if anyone's heard yet.. the sensible part of my brain says to at least wait til next week to start freaking out but I can't help being anxious. :scared:
 
I haven't heard yet either. I'm hoping they would let us know this week so at least part of my anxiety would go away.

My poor mom though. I put my home number instead of my cell. I keep calling her asking her if they've called yet.
 
well it's just the fact that we know they met tuesday... so what's keeping them from calling...?

:scared:😱 😕 *DESPERATION*
 
I hear you - no additional information from reliable source about when we will hear - I've luckily been able to keep busy so I'm not refreshing SDN all day - but had a heart flutter when I saw that people had posted 🙂

I just keep reminding myself that there's nothing I can do at this point - I've done everything I can - so just breath - we will know when we know - and what will be - will be 🙂

Good luck everyone!!
 
Waiting....waiting...waiting....I just wish they would hurry up so I can make my decision and tell the other school NO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey,
where in the alphabet is your last name?
ugh, I can't care about this now. last night my dog was hit by a car and killed after she took off after some deer. I am utterly a wreck. even if I did get a call I'd probably just start bawling on the phone.
I don't know if I can handle vet school if I can't handle this.
 
hey,
where in the alphabet is your last name?
ugh, I can't care about this now. last night my dog was hit by a car and killed after she took off after some deer. I am utterly a wreck. even if I did get a call I'd probably just start bawling on the phone.
I don't know if I can handle vet school if I can't handle this.

Awe I'm so so sorry! That's awful. Don't be too hard on yourself. Loss of a pet is hard, especially when it's sudden like that. I know for sure I'd be a total wreck and I think most people would be too. It has nothing to do with being able to handle school! I am so nervous now that I know they are calling and nothing bad has happened to me this week!
 
hey,
where in the alphabet is your last name?
ugh, I can't care about this now. last night my dog was hit by a car and killed after she took off after some deer. I am utterly a wreck. even if I did get a call I'd probably just start bawling on the phone.
I don't know if I can handle vet school if I can't handle this.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Its tough loosing a pet like that, it has happened to a couple of my hunting dogs in the past.

My last name starts with "A". The call came a little after 8am this morning while i was feeding calves.
 
Ahh!!!! does anyone know how many people they are accepting? Cause i started calculating and if they accepted 100 students and it takes the dean about 5 mins per call he would be able to go through everyone in a day. Does anyone know if he'll be making all the calls today? ��
 
Zoovet im so sorry to hear about your dog. Dont be too hard on yourself. Stay strong and hang in there!
 
Ahh!!!! does anyone know how many people they are accepting? Cause i started calculating and if they accepted 100 students and it takes the dean about 5 mins per call he would be able to go through everyone in a day. Does anyone know if he'll be making all the calls today? ��

The class should be 84 people. Don't know whether it will be an all day calling marathon though...
 
Yeah, even though he technically could call everyone in one day I doubt he will call more than like 15-30 a day. He will probably spread it out instead of doing nothing but calling people all day haha. He is the dean after all he has a lot to do! 🙂 :xf:
 
FYI - he will not crank out all the calls in one day. He will squeeze them in between his other "Dean of CVM" duties. Expect the most calls around 8:00am and after 5:00pm (and on weekends) if the trend follows last year's.

Good luck guys!! :luck:
 
The class should be 84 people. Don't know whether it will be an all day calling marathon though...

Oh ok... :/ i just thought they would have more acceptances to account for some who would decline Purdue's acceptance. I guess purdue is different.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone who heard! Does anyone know when those who aren't accepted are notified? This is an awful waiting game
 
Where in the alphabet are we? It nay not be alphabetical but it'd be nice to know haha. Has everyone contacted so far been in the beginning of the alphabet, like a-e or something?so nervous!
 
For everyone wondering if the dean was making calls this weekend, I just recieved a call!!! I'm so beyond ecstatic!!! 😀 (My last name starts with a Z, and I'm OOS.)

Congratulations to everyone who got a call, and good luck to those still waiting!
 
Last edited: