Push May 20 MCAT to June 2? Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently scheduled to take my MCAT on May 20. I have been enrolled in a Kaplan course for the last 2 months or so but with school and research and work, I've done only the minimum of prep and review on top of my course. Thankfully, classes will be over on April 28 and that will give me roughly 3 weeks to prep without class or work or research.

However, I'm not sure I'll be ready. Do you think pushing back to the June 2 date to allow for an additional 2 weeks of dedicated MCAT prep would be worth it? That would mean score release on July 6 rather than June 21. Would this put me at a lateness disadvantage provided I am verified and everything for applying by the time my score is released?

Advice and insight is appreciated.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about whether you would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of applying if you pushed back to the June test date but I think 3 weeks of dedicated prep on top of what you're doing now should be enough. Most people don't understand that prep doesn't make a huge difference after a certain point - that's why if you get one score and then take the exam again a month later, most people get about the same score. The MCAT is designed to test reasoning skills, which don't depend on how long you study but rather on how you have developed over the years.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure about whether you would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of applying if you pushed back to the June test date but I think 3 weeks of dedicated prep on top of what you're doing now should be enough. Most people don't understand that prep doesn't make a huge difference after a certain point - that's why if you get one score and then take the exam again a month later, most people get about the same score. The MCAT is designed to test reasoning skills, which don't depend on how long you study but rather on how you have developed over the years.

I agree with this very much. After a certain point, you hit a plateau. Once you know all your info, it comes down to your reasoning skills.