Question about Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hizi

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what was the deficiency it was found by AVMA?

I found this on their website

"Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is currently under Probationary Accreditation with a major deficiency in one of 11 Standards, Outcomes Assessment.

The DVM program remains accredited by AVMA COE while on Probationary Accreditation and therefore it will not impact current students with regard to licensure, clinical training, or employment opportunities. AVMA COE allows up to two years for the program to fulfill the directives set by the Council with regard to Standard 11.

The next comprehensive evaluation will occur in 2025."

This worries me... I wonder if it will affect students who will be matriculating next year :/

Members don't see this ad.

This worries me... I wonder if it will affect students who will be matriculating next
Outcomes assessment makes me think NAVLE. If you look at their scores, they have been declining in the past few years and were riiiiight above the MINIMUM 80% pass rate required to maintain AVMA accreditation. This means 20% of the graduating class did NOT pass the navle either of the first two times they took it. The declining navle scores is the piece to worry about. Schools should be teaching their students so they are able to pass the licensing exam that every school in the US takes and should be as close to 100% as possible because it’s an exam you *expect* to pass as a 4th year. Yeah, some people might be sick or have a bad day when they take it, but most people pass either the first or second try because they usually don’t have two bad days. 20% of these students still aren’t passing the second try. There are some US schools with lower pass rates currently which is also unacceptable, don’t get me wrong, I’m not just saying this because it’s an island school.

Probationary accreditation does not affect any current students. If you start at a school while they have accreditation, you are protected if they ever happen to lose accreditation while you are a student (not super likely, but just to ease your mind) and you would finish out the program at that school like normal and would have still graduated from an AVMA accredited school. If a US school loses accreditation, they are not allowed to accept any students for the next school year, but places outside the US can still accept students, they just won’t be considered as having gone to an AVMA accredited school since they started after accreditation was lost.
They do still have time to fix whatever in their school was concerning to the AVMA COE (I assume navle pass rates based on “outcome assessment,” but am not 100% about that) and keep their accreditation, which likely will happen since being AVMA accredited is what draws most of their US students to them and I doubt they want to lose that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you contacted the school and asked them what they were doing to fix the deficiency to keep accreditation, they might even tell you how they’re going about it, since it is something to be concerned about and they know many prospective students would be worried, so they should be willing and open to talking to prospective students about how they’re fixing things.

Reactions: 1 user
Outcomes assessment makes me think NAVLE. If you look at their scores, they have been declining in the past few years and were riiiiight above the MINIMUM 80% pass rate required to maintain AVMA accreditation. This means 20% of the graduating class did NOT pass the navle either of the first two times they took it. The declining navle scores is the piece to worry about. Schools should be teaching their students so they are able to pass the licensing exam that every school in the US takes and should be as close to 100% as possible because it’s an exam you *expect* to pass as a 4th year. Yeah, some people might be sick or have a bad day when they take it, but most people pass either the first or second try because they usually don’t have two bad days. 20% of these students still aren’t passing the second try. There are some US schools with lower pass rates currently which is also unacceptable, don’t get me wrong, I’m not just saying this because it’s an island school.

Probationary accreditation does not affect any current students. If you start at a school while they have accreditation, you are protected if they ever happen to lose accreditation while you are a student (not super likely, but just to ease your mind) and you would finish out the program at that school like normal and would have still graduated from an AVMA accredited school. If a US school loses accreditation, they are not allowed to accept any students for the next school year, but places outside the US can still accept students, they just won’t be considered as having gone to an AVMA accredited school since they started after accreditation was lost.
They do still have time to fix whatever in their school was concerning to the AVMA COE (I assume navle pass rates based on “outcome assessment,” but am not 100% about that) and keep their accreditation, which likely will happen since being AVMA accredited is what draws most of their US students to them and I doubt they want to lose that.

Thanks a lot for the information you just provided. The only reason I am looking at this program is due to its length. I am a non-trad student so I would like to finish this journey as soon as possible lol.

I'll ask them what they are doing regarding this issue for sure. I hope they are honest and tell me all about it.

Thanks a lot for the information you just provided. The only reason I am looking at this program is due to its length. I am a non-trad student so I would like to finish this journey as soon as possible lol.

I'll ask them what they are doing regarding this issue for sure. I hope they are honest and tell me all about it.
There are many non-trads who still go to US schools! Don’t completely count them out just because you’d like to finish a semester sooner (I think that’s only how much sooner Ross finishes). If you have an in state school, it will more than likely be MUCH cheaper than an island school (or most any out of state school, though there are some who will let you switch residency after the 1st year). Less debt to pay off is always recommended since 150k in debt vs 350k in debt is a LOT different and that debt is tied to you for the rest of your life.
Just something else to consider when choosing where you’ll apply.

Reactions: 3 users
There are many non-trads who still go to US schools! Don’t completely count them out just because you’d like to finish a semester sooner (I think that’s only how much sooner Ross finishes). If you have an in state school, it will more than likely be MUCH cheaper than an island school (or most any out of state school, though there are some who will let you switch residency after the 1st year). Less debt to pay off is always recommended since 150k in debt vs 350k in debt is a LOT different and that debt is tied to you for the rest of your life.

I have a house that was given to me, I plan on selling it to pay off that debt I will acquire in vet school. Hopefully, the debt is not more than 300k. I hate debt. I do think however that debt for med school and dental school are a lot higher than vet's. I saw the other day someone asking advice on whether they should take 600k in debt for dental school OMG... worst thing is that everyone was saying yes :arghh:

I do think however that debt for med school and dental school are a lot higher than vet's. I saw the other day someone asking advice on whether they should take 600k in debt for dental school OMG... worst thing is that everyone was saying yes :arghh:
After med school, they generally make a loooot more than us and have about the same level of debt so it’s easier for them to pay off. Never heard that level for dental school though and I really don’t believe that’s average or even close to it. Dentists also generally make a bit more than a vet in the same area iirc so they have a lower debt to income ratio than us, too. But usually there are more opportunities to go to an in state school for both, since there are more schools for each in each state.

But as for the debt, I still recommend looking into IS schools and even some OOS US schools, even if you’ll be selling a house to pay for it. If you are able to spend half as much money by going to an in state school (if you have one) or a school that allows you to change residency and get in state prices, that means you’ll have a good chunk of money left over from the house sale, which is a very nice thing. Giant emergency fund and a good down payment on a new house sometime after school when you figure out where you’ll be living. Just something else to consider. I know I personally would take an extra semester if I could pay half as much for vet school, but that’s me.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what was the deficiency it was found by AVMA?

I found this on their website

"Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is currently under Probationary Accreditation with a major deficiency in one of 11 Standards, Outcomes Assessment.

The DVM program remains accredited by AVMA COE while on Probationary Accreditation and therefore it will not impact current students with regard to licensure, clinical training, or employment opportunities. AVMA COE allows up to two years for the program to fulfill the directives set by the Council with regard to Standard 11.

The next comprehensive evaluation will occur in 2025."

This worries me... I wonder if it will affect students who will be matriculating next year :/
An email from the Dean to alumni today (fyi):

I am proud to announce the recent notification that RUSVM has been fully reaccredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA COE). Our accreditation was reaffirmed on April 15, 2019, after the Council voted to fully remove our deficiency in Outcomes Assessment.

just because you’d like to finish a semester sooner (I think that’s only how much sooner Ross finishes).

It depends on the semester you start in. I start in May semester and will now graduate in August 2022 instead of May 2023, so nine months earlier. Sept semester finishes 6 months earlier and Jan semester finishes 3 months earlier.

The debt is real though and should be carefully considered, even with finishing earlier. Just thought I’d share that though!

Reactions: 1 users
The debt is real though and should be carefully considered, even with finishing earlier. Just thought I’d share that though!
Usually the debt of Ross is still greater than going somewhere IS even if you are finishing earlier. That’s what I’m bringing up and wanting them to consider. If I can pay a good chunk less money but finish only 9 mo later, that’s more worth it IMO than finishing a bit earlier.

Reactions: 2 users
Usually the debt of Ross is still greater than going somewhere IS even if you are finishing earlier. That’s what I’m bringing up and wanting them to consider. If I can pay a good chunk less money but finish only 9 mo later, that’s more worth it IMO than finishing a bit earlier.

Yep, and that’s why I said it should be carefully considered even with finishing earlier. Wasn’t trying to argue with you there

Yep, and that’s why I said it should be carefully considered even with finishing earlier. Wasn’t trying to argue with you there
I know, I was just saying it for OP that even though you might finish earlier than I initially thought, I still would consider a US school if you can get IS tuition even though it would be a bit longer program!

Completely agree with this statement. I'm a non-traditional student (34 y/o) and the way I look at it is that upon graduation, given my age, I have less working years left than a traditional student to pay back the debt I will owe. Morbid but true. Finishing a semester early isn't worth the more than 2x the tuition, and I most certainly will not earn in salary the difference in tuition during that 3-4 month timeframe if I were to attend an accelerated program such as Ross. So it really doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: 5 users
Just to give a slightly different opinion as I’m also a non-traditional student (30 y/o). If you have an in-state and are able to get into your in-state, you should go there without a doubt. It will save you so much money. Due to my stats, I didn’t have a shot at my in-state and was told I’d need to take 30 more credit hrs or get a master’s, and that it would probably even then take a few cycles to get in. I didn’t want to do that, it was not worth it to me. For some people it would be, and that’s totally great. I was waitlisted at Western (which I doubt I would’ve been pulled off of given recent events), but after calculating some things out I realized the debt was going to be roughly the same. I’m honestly paying a few hundred less per month for a fully furnished apartment with everything from coffee maker to tv (as well as utilities) than an unfurnished apartment without utilities in the Pomona area. Groceries are more expensive on the island, as are cars if you decide to get one, so probably everything would balance out in a way. But basically the cost was going to be about the same. So with that considered, finishing school nine months earlier was very attractive to me. I get to move home sooner, I start making a salary as a vet sooner.. Coupled with receiving a scholarship, it was the best financial decision for me. Obviously it is best to try and keep your debt load as low as possible and you should try to go to your in-state (or OOS with reasonable tuition), but if you’re considering between some of the upper cost schools, finishing earlier can be a benefit.

but if you’re considering between some of the upper cost schools, finishing earlier can be a benefit.
That’s why I was only suggesting in state schools. Not the more expensive US schools just because it’s a us school. The Caribbean schools are just as good as any of the US schools, but if you CAN get into your IS or an OOS school that allows residency changes to get IS tuition after the first year, I would still recommend that 100 times over an expensive school in the islands that finishes a bit sooner. That difference in debt is huge even though you’d have to be in school for a few extra months.

Does anyone have a child and you are applying to Ross? Or know someone there in vet school with a child?

Does anyone have a child and you are applying to Ross? Or know someone there in vet school with a child?
Hi! I just interviewed with Ross today, and I have two kids!! I am pretty excited about the prep school option they offer for them.

Hi! I just interviewed with Ross today, and I have two kids!! I am pretty excited about the prep school option they offer for them.

The cool thing about the prep school is that its right on campus so for holidays the vet students can get involved! On Halloween the kids dressed up in costumes and walked around campus! Faculty and even some students handed out candy! It was so cute.