Question About Summer Courses - Physiology vs. Creative Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allie2274

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a rising sophomore at Duke planning to take some summer courses. At my university, summer semester is broken up into two sessions. I am taking Orgo and Physics I w/calc the first session, and I am planning on taking Physics II w/calc and another course (I have to take two courses a session for financial aid purposes). For my "other course" I can either take Creative Writing or Physiology.

For those who have taken Creative Writing or Physiology,

Is taking a physiology course important for med school admissions? I know it is not a requirement/on the MCAT, but is it helpful in building your knowledge base for med school?

Does creative writing typically count for the "one year of English" requirement at most med schools?

Do you think it is unwise to do Physics II with another science heavy course? I took AP Physics C Mechanics in high school but I have never seen Physics II material.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am a rising sophomore at Duke planning to take some summer courses. At my university, summer semester is broken up into two sessions. I am taking Orgo and Physics I w/calc the first session, and I am planning on taking Physics II w/calc and another course (I have to take two courses a session for financial aid purposes). For my "other course" I can either take Creative Writing or Physiology.

For those who have taken Creative Writing or Physiology,

1. Is taking a physiology course important for med school admissions? I know it is not a requirement/on the MCAT, but is it helpful in building your knowledge base for med school?

2. Does creative writing typically count for the "one year of English" requirement at most med schools?

3. Do you think it is unwise to do Physics II with another science heavy course? I took AP Physics C Mechanics in high school but I have never seen Physics II material.

Thank you for your help!
1. I can’t speak to med school usefulness, but it is useful for the MCAT in my opinion. You’ll supposedly get all the physiology you need in bio, but comparing my friends’ knowledge to mine, I do wish I’d taken it!

2. It depends. Some schools specifically want English Composition. MD schools seem to be a lot more lenient on this than DO, and many accept writing-intensive courses for the English requirement. Source: much research and contacting of many med schools to ask this very question, unfortunately. :(

3. Sounds tough for a summer session. Wouldn’t personally recommend, but only you know you. :)

Honestly both courses are useful in their own ways. Physiology definitely helps on the MCAT, and I wish I had taken it prior (at least for me). Not necessary, but helps.

Having good writing skills, on the other hand, is probably one of the most underrated aspects of being a good applicant. All this time you spend building your ECs go to waste if you cant find a way to effectively communicate it through the Personal Statement and Work/Activities section of your application. The way to get better at writing and communication is to continuously practice it.

So you can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.

Spending a summer session taking nothing but hard science and math sounds, frankly, really exhausting. I'm a little biased (former creative writing major) but I agree 100% with the above poster--writing skills are INSANELY important. In addition to making your writing better, creative writing should also give you perspective and reflection skills that I, personally, find invaluable.

If I were you, I'd take writing during the summer and wait to take Physio until later/closer to when you take the MCAT.

Good luck, OP!