Question about Waitlist/Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ImNotThatGirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found out that I have been placed on the alternate list for my #1 choice school, Michigan State. I have a meeting on the 16th with the Admissions Director to talk more about it, but I was just curious if anyone has had experience with it. Those who have been placed on a waitlist (more specifically, those who maybe have for MSU) - how long was it before they let you know one way or the other?

I have been accepted at other schools, so I'm going to keep moving forward with those other schools, but I really had my heart set on MSU, and if they call, I would drop the other school to go there!
 
I was on the waitlist for MSU 2 years ago (and am again 🙁 it's my IS), and I never heard anything from them ever. Last time they said they began notifying May 1st.

EDIT: please report back about your meeting! I'm not living in Michigan at the moment so it's not really feasible for me to visit and find out more.
 
I was on Michigan's waitlist last year, was not accepted, and received a letter I believe in early August saying that I should officially no longer expect to be removed from the waitlist. If I am remembering accurately, I don't think Michigan starts to contact people off the waitlist until after April 15th, and they do not give out rank/position on the waitlist.