Quitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rphquitter20

Reaction score
Never thought I would say this, but I'm actually excited to be quitting a job. Usually, most people would be sad or suffer through the hell that is retail pharmacy until they're able to find a better job. Nope, not me. I've nothing lined up, but if I've to go another month with this company I might end-up on benzos. Never thought I would reach this point in my pharmacy career but dang am excited to be quitting..... did I mention that I'm elated to be quitting.
Black Boy Reaction GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Never thought I would say this, but I'm actually excited to be quitting a job. Usually, most people would be sad or suffer through the hell that is retail pharmacy until they're able to find a better job. Nope, not me. I've nothing lined up, but if I've to go another month with this company I might end-up on benzos. Never thought I would reach this point in my pharmacy career but dang am excited to be quitting..... did I mention that I'm elated to be quitting.
Black Boy Reaction GIF
So you only worked for them for 2 months and quitting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol! no. Going on 6 months.. when it's all said and done will be about 7 months.
Certainly wouldn't want to underreport that amount of time!

In all seriousness, congrats! I think? Not sure what the appropriate reaction is but best of luck with whatever you end up doing next.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only CVS Pharmacist that doesn't mind the job? I mean, if I win the lottery, I'm quitting. But as far as jobs go, it could be worse.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only CVS Pharmacist that doesn't mind the job? I mean, if I win the lottery, I'm quitting. But as far as jobs go, it could be worse.
I have met lot of them who have been with company for 15 + years as Rph. They hate the company but dont want let go the pay Or too lazy to change. Lol

Lol! no. Going on 6 months.. when it's all said and done will be about 7 months.
lol nice. Good for you. I had same thoughts while I worked for them as grad intern. I may go back to them if I can’t find any thing. lol

Black Boy Reaction GIF

Wait, you don't have another job lined up? What will you do? Don't you have bills to pay? Quitting after only 7 months looks bad on your resume. Add an employment gap and it's even worse. I hated the job too but I had bills to pay. Took me 4 years to find another job.

Reactions: 5 users
Wait, you don't have another job lined up? What will you do? Don't you have bills to pay? Quitting after only 7 months looks bad on your resume. Add an employment gap and it's even worse. I hated the job too but I had bills to pay. Took me 4 years to find another job.

Don’t you know that next stimulus check deal gonna get approved any time now

• Haha
I feel the same way about my rite aid job. Then again I knew what I was getting in to and actively wanted a retail position.

I am more than a little worried that it will not provide a stable career over the next few years though.

Hope you have a good emergency fund and get your CV/resumes shared everywhere asap.

Same here Mikey...we are a dying breed. You especially being an overnight (I got converted to daytime). Okay, I'm overqualified/have more than enough experience and have the time management skills to pursue other interests/hobbies/recreations on my time off from work and not let work stresses get to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also didn't mind CVS until I started working in a hospital and realized the drastic work condition differences. I never appreciated a chair and an uninterrupted lunch break so much lol. I can still hear echoes of "LANE 1... LANE 2..." and "1 PHARMACY CALL,... 2 PHARMACY CALLS..." in my head sometimes.

Reactions: 6 users
I also didn't mind CVS until I started working in a hospital and realized the drastic work condition differences. I never appreciated a chair and an uninterrupted lunch break so much lol. I can still hear echoes of "LANE 1... LANE 2..." and "1 PHARMACY CALL,... 2 PHARMACY CALLS..." in my head sometimes.
If you work retail you learn to eat fast and sometimes standing up..It is a bad habit to break

If you work retail you learn to eat fast and sometimes standing up..It is a bad habit to break

I enjoy sitting and eating slow now. I catch up on the Mandalorian on my lunch break!

Reactions: 1 users
Hope you have a good emergency fund and get your CV/resumes shared everywhere asap.
Lol! Got a sugar mama supporting me.... joking. Yup! Got emergency fund to last for a year or so. Plus my significant other is currently employed. I'm just being proactive base on the current climate of retail pharmacy and pharmacy in general. I'll probably switch career field altogether at this point. Just not sure which field I want to go into. In the meantime, I'll look for prn or part-time rph position wherever I can find one.

As a part time floater, I don't mind this. Pay is not good but I have to clock in and out, which is a big plus. Once I clock out, the system locks me out. Minimal corporate interaction except when I am asked to pick up more hours.

Multi-tasking = essential skill for surviving Retail, LOL

Multi-tasking = essential skill for surviving Retail, LOL
Yeah for sure. Definitely helped me to hone my multitasking skills where I currently work now. I feel like it was bootcamp for that and psychological resilience. After hearing so many customers whine, complain, and yell in front of my face, no words phase me anymore lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I think I can tolerate CVS because I am emotionally numb. As long as my techs are nice to me I enjoy working at CVS. I help with QT a lot and if QP goes orange I let the techs handle it by themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol! Got a sugar mama supporting me.... joking. Yup! Got emergency fund to last for a year or so. Plus my significant other is currently employed. I'm just being proactive base on the current climate of retail pharmacy and pharmacy in general. I'll probably switch career field altogether at this point. Just not sure which field I want to go into. In the meantime, I'll look for prn or part-time rph position wherever I can find one.
You don’t have any loans?

I work for the other evil empire but I feel the same
But then again, the quality of your job can drastically change based on area and the direct supervisor you are reporting to

Black Boy Reaction GIF
unfortunately there will be another to fill the spot for $10 less, $15 less, $20 less ...

Black Boy Reaction GIF

Dude - I love the Crystal Light aerobic championship gif. The theme song to this video is actually my ringtone. Yes - it is available as a ringtone and it is the best ringtone ever....

Yes - every time someone calls me I get to hear this song. And I’m a super popular kind of guy so I hear this song all the time...

Good for you for quitting in CVS - I did the same to wags...

Dude - I love the Crystal Light aerobic championship gif. The theme song to this video is actually my ringtone. Yes - it is available as a ringtone and it is the best ringtone ever....

Yes - every time someone calls me I get to hear this song. And I’m a super popular kind of guy so I hear this song all the time...

Man the 80s were the best!

• Love
Man the 80s were the best!

Absolutely! The eighties and the early/mid 90s were a golden age. Things got generic and utterly copy/paste after about 2005...

I feel bad for my kids as they will never have the same experiences as I had when I was a kid.

• Love
Yeah for sure. Definitely helped me to hone my multitasking skills where I currently work now. I feel like it was bootcamp for that and psychological resilience. After hearing so many customers whine, complain, and yell in front of my face, no words phase me anymore lol.
I honestly think this is an under-appreciated aspect to getting your start in retail. I wish i could force all of my coworkers to work at CVS for 3 flu-shot-season-months just so if they ever complain about being "overworked" again I can remind them how incredibly cushy their job really is.

Reactions: 7 users
Never understood the logic of quitting without having an alternative lined up..

You have to look at things rationally; not emotionally. You aren’t hurting your ex-employer. You are just making the way for a cheaper graduate as your replacement. Company would love that; you are the one at the short end of stick here.

Reactions: 6 users

You have to look at things rationally; not emotionally. You aren’t hurting your ex-employer. You are just making the way for a cheaper graduate as your replacement. Company would love that; you are the one at the short end of stick here.
I think this is very true. I wish I didn’t quit until I find something but I was moving out of state and I can easily go back to them as I have connections if other stuff fails.

I think this is very true. I wish I didn’t quit until I find something but I was moving out of state and I can easily go back to them as I have connections if other stuff fails.

I consider myself a man of connections as well (or in your case a woman of connections). However I have realized that nothing is easy anymore.

Connections are only as good as the needs at the time.

I consider myself a man of connections as well (or in your case a woman of connections). However I have realized that nothing is easy anymore.

Connections are only as good as the needs at the time.
Oh very true, I agree. It has worked for me so far, hopefully it works for me again.

Good point. However, I've put alot of thought and planned accordingly. Furthermore, me quitting is not base on emotion at all.

A year worth of emergency fund is a chump change.. And it should be for a real emergency only; not for self-induced one.

You say your SO is employed and you want to change the career path but without having any idea of what it would be. Doesn’t sound like a good planning to me.

I wouldn’t wanna purposely sit home relying on anyone else but that’s just me.

A year worth of emergency fund is a chump change.. And it should be for a real emergency only; not for self-induced one.

You say your SO is employed and you want to change the career path but without having any idea of what it would be. Doesn’t sound like a good planning to me.

I wouldn’t wanna purposely sit home relying on anyone else but that’s just me.

Yup and I wouldn't want my spouse to do that either. That can't be good for a relationship.

ive known people who quit their jobs without another one lined up and they ended up fine.... but then again majority of pharmacists aren't risk takers

i thought eveyone put their phone on vibrate now lol how old are you? 50? jk jk jk

ive known people who quit their jobs without another one lined up and they ended up fine.... but then again majority of pharmacists aren't risk takers

Was it recently? The job market is much different now than a couple years ago.

OP you should not have quit your job before finding another one. If you knew you were quitting why not just stay and work at your pace?

I do have a question, it appears you worked somewhere else before CVS, what happened to that job?

i thought eveyone put their phone on vibrate now lol how old are you? 50? jk jk jk

Late 30s

I think I don’t put my phone on vibrate just to make sure that everyone around me hears that song.

OP you should not have quit your job before finding another one. If you knew you were quitting why not just stay and work at your pace?

I do have a question, it appears you worked somewhere else before CVS, what happened to that job?
Hard to stay when my store is extremely understaffed, which leaves scripts not being completed by the end of the day. When scripts from one day rolls over to the next and piles up your store becomes negative. Plus I do have patient safety to consider, when told by upper management to work faster.

If you are at the verge of quitting, why not just ride it out? If you get written up/ fired, so be it.. This process will take time and in a meantime you can look for other options.

Clearly $$$ was not top priority for OP. I quit too. I didn't want to ride it out. Raise your hand if you would enjoy being written up and fired? Sometimes life dictates decisions. Sometimes your own mental health is more important. He felt comfortable enough to walk away and roll the dice. As pandemic shows, a lot of plans can go out the window.

I've been in this business for awhile, maybe I've been lucky but when stores are understaffed, upper management understands this. I've never seen a pharmacist written up at an understaffed pharmacy.

My district also has a group chat to help each other out.

I just feel like OP probably felt this way for awhile and I hope has at least been looking for another job.

But I hold firm, another job should have been secured first.

I also understand retail isn't for everyone.

Good valid points. I'm looking for other jobs just no luck yet. However, if I've to work another year or two with the company I'll end up walking out on one of my schedule shifts which i'm trying to prevent. Since that's a common thing amongst rph in my district both in the last few months before I started and currently. And I don't want to be that rph that walks out.

I agree. I would have felt a lot better when I quit if I had another job. But like I said, I don't believe in 'any job is better than no job's' logic. If you have a supportive spouse, health insurance, no kids to support, etc maybe you can chance it. These are not cushy union jobs with pensions people are walking away from.

• Haha
Don't know the drugstore chains' COVID-19 leave policies, but Walmart's COVID-19 leave policy is very permissive. There are techs who have been out since March on self-quarantine leave and you can't get rid of them because they are job-protected.

If you were a Walmart pharmacist and don't care about money you should exploit the **** out of that while looking for a job elsewhere. Or if you are very unethical just fake failing the screening every 10-14 days and collect 100% LOA pay accordingly.

Of course no one enjoys being written up or getting fired. But OP has a choice; either work on his skills and step it up so he wouldn't have to go through it or just become numb and do things his way until something else comes up or he gets forced out (he wanted to quit anyways so this outcome should be acceptable).

People have to be realistic here.. Yes it sucks going to the job everyday when you dread it.. You live in certain kind of fear and uncertainty. However, we are in a career that's essentially dead. There are literally no jobs out there even if you are flexible with moving. People talk about how they survived, but let's not kid ourselves, Each year is progressively getting worse than the previous one. You might feel great about yourself for not having to put up with this anymore but when music will stop two months from now on if you still haven't found another job, you will be cursing at yourself.

I know it's not fair but this is the current reality of our profession.