Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XVIII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to part 18 of the random thread! All random thoughts welcome here! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really feel for you. I'm still tallying my expenses, but unforeseeable money issues caused me to miss my last 2 payments. So I forsee several zeros behind an integer for what I'm going to owe. All I have to say this year is thank god I'm married.

then you feel my pain :(

adding insult to financial injury today, I walked into work this morning and found out that our hospital is on mandatory time off due to "low census". (How it can be low and there's not one bed available on my floor AND they're overflowing from the other floor onto my floor, I'm not really sure.) At any rate, I'm technically PRN but I work 14-16 hours a week. Apparently some of the other PRNs who float services were told not to come in, and not to come back until our boss calls them. So my (lovely) colleagues besiege me at 9am with "Wow, you're here? I don't think you're going to be able to work!" :mad: :( Luckily my boss got to the meeting and said that what's saving me and one other person is that we're each assigned to a specific medical service, so he has lobbied for us to keep coming in. It's just that if my service has low census, I have to leave early or not come in if we have no kids in. *phew* So hearing that I owe a large sum of money and compounding it with the (still possible) impending slashing of the most steady income I have is... a little disconcerting today.

We're going to have some wine in April and whine.

I like your style :thumbup:
Durden and I are in negotiations of how to spend the weekend, and I think we have a good plan. :)

how should i send it, check or paypal?

check is fine, I just need to see some ID. thanks.

and to everyone who posted support- thank you so much. it was a crappy day, and I really appreciate the camaraderie from all of you. :love: :love:

then you feel my pain :(
penguin...sorry to hear that you are owing money.

i'm getting a pretty big return, but i am pissed that i've been loaning the IRS this much money. i need to re-do my W-4 so that they are not taking out more than they should be (i originally put down 0 exemptions b/c I didn't want to end up owing money).

Members don't see this ad :)
The girls and I rode on Caltrain today (yes, visiting family again! - my niece is being baptized tomorrow). It was so much fun!!! My sister lives pretty close to a train station, so we took the train to her house and back (45 minutes).

I love the train. Next time I visit we might take a train ride all the way to San Francisco. :D

Here's a pic -

CIMG1533.jpg

Finally saw the 300... :love: :love:

I think I'll be buying that on DVD :D

My friend saw that movie and her reaction was the following:

"There were so many hot guys in that movie that I just wanted to reach out and touch them" :laugh: :laugh:

The funny mental image it gave me was funny cuz she's usually a conservative type who doesn't echo her thoughts on who she thinks is hot or talk about those kind of things.

"There were so many hot guys in that movie that I just wanted to reach out and touch them" :laugh: :laugh:

The funny mental image it gave me was funny cuz she's usually a conservative type who doesn't echo her thoughts on who she thinks is hot or talk about those kind of things.
ha ha ha :oops:

Yes I must admit to doing some of that my self. :laugh:

They look like they were computer-enhanced on screen.

Good eve'nin! Where is everyone at?

I'm here! :)

And I agree with the surprisingly female-friendliness of 300. Lotsa eye candy! :D But it could have been a much better movie had they created a more historically accurate portrayal of the Persians and Greeks and a deeper plot line. Ah well, it was good entertainment

I'm here! :)

And I agree with the surprisingly female-friendliness of 300. Lotsa eye candy! :D But it could have been a much better movie had they created a more historically accurate portrayal of the Persians and Greeks and a deeper plot line. Ah well, it was good entertainment

I think pretty much everything about the fighting was accurate except for the embellishment of individual size and characteristics of people and animals. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the plot regarding what was going on back in Sparta while they were fighting, but the premise of the fighting was accurate. There were other important figureheads in the war that they do not mention, like the Greek who took out a bunch of the Persian Navy. It would have been interesting to have a reference to that, but remember, Athenians and Spartans were sworn enemies and only came together to destroy a common enemy.

Good eve'nin! Where is everyone at?

Oddly enough, writing a paper on anatomy in Greek sculpture.

And Meg, I couldn't have put my thoughts about Xerxes' character better than you just did. I wasn't sure whether he wanted to kill or make out with that Spartan king.

I think pretty much everything about the fighting was accurate except for the embellishment of individual size and characteristics of people and animals. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the plot regarding what was going on back in Sparta while they were fighting, but the premise of the fighting was accurate. There were other important figureheads in the war that they do not mention, like the Greek who took out a bunch of the Persian Navy. It would have been interesting to have a reference to that, but remember, Athenians and Spartans were sworn enemies and only came together to destroy a common enemy.

Perhaps, but I wanted to know more about why they were fighting, other than the fact that they were fighting over land (i.e. what was the strategic importance of the land). I was hoping to fill in details about the history between the Spartans and the Persians...but I guess I'll have to do my own reading on it

Perhaps, but I wanted to know more about why they were fighting, other than the fact that they were fighting over land (i.e. what was the strategic importance of the land). I was hoping to fill in details about the history between the Spartans and the Persians...but I guess I'll have to do my own reading on it
apparently persia never took over sparta but they all got taken over by alexander the great anyway

Oh man, I have to log off SDN until Friday again.

I can't believe I've been as good as I have by staying away during the week.

I have to take another FL on Saturday so we'll see how far I've come with the EK studying :eek:

Oh man, I have to log off SDN until Friday again.

I can't believe I've been as good as I have by staying away during the week.

I have to take another FL on Saturday so we'll see how far I've come with the EK studying :eek:
:luck: :luck: :luck:

I'll be in Houston until Wed night so I doubt I'll be posting much either. :(

um.. yay? :smuggrin:

time for me to go to bed after a long day of being largely unproductive.

'night peeps!

OOoOoOoOOoOooOOOoooo sounds like fun! (unproductive-ness, not bed ;) )

Look at you, using your advisor powers for good and not evil. :thumbup: ;)

It's how I lull the moderators into a false sense of security before I lead the Texas uprising and take over SDN :smuggrin:

Look at you, using your advisor powers for good and not evil. :thumbup: ;)
she's a stronger woman than I would be.. :smuggrin:

one last thing for those who aren't quite sold on Nellyville (and you know who you are)....

it's still March, and I have all my windows open to cool the place down b/c it hit over 80 today. I'm just sayin'.

she's a stronger woman than I would be.. :smuggrin:

one last thing for those who aren't quite sold on Nellyville (and you know who you are)....

it's still March, and I have all my windows open to cool the place down b/c it hit over 80 today. I'm just sayin'.
Oh hell if we're using that as a criteria then all of you really want to move to Houston with me :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.