Random non-Pre-Allo and only peripherally related to Pre-Allo thread - Part 2!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Eternal didn't your avatar used to have superman pouring ketchup? Either I never really looked at it, or superman's gone down a sad lonely path lol!

It has always been liquor. that is a screen shot from Superman III, starring Christopher Reeve and Richard Pryor. The basic premise is that a business tycoon is using Richard Pryor, a computer genius, to hack into an orbiting satellite that can make weather, to destroy competing businesses's crops and products.

Superman intervenes and the business tycoon orders Pryor to use the satellite to scan the area of space that is supposed to have been Krypton and analyze the radioactive fragments (kryptonite) for synthesis. However, some of the materials are unknown and Pryor substitutes using Earth elements.

This results in the movie adaptation of "red kryptonite" (although it was still portrayed as green in the movie), splitting Superman into Good Clark Kent and Evil Superman. (Think Smallville Season 5 Premiere). The frame that is my avatar is Evil Superman drinking at a bar after mischief, like moving the Eiffel Tower straight and blowing out the torch at the Olympics.

Eventually Good Clark Kent kills Evil Superman and becomes normal Superman and goes to confront tycoon and Pryor, who have built a super machine computer that gets the correct recipe for kryptonite but then Pryor betrays tycoon and Superman saves the day.

Members don't see this ad.

At least that explains the eternal rage..
RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!!!!

Oh they'd be thrilled if I was Protestant - I'd be that much easier to convert. My family is Turkish Muslim.. yeah I know, I was shocked too that the doctor bit won out over that infidel bit.. :D
Everyone wants a doc in the family = /

Oh and you have my vote also, but only because you are sooo dreamy.. :love: and I don't know what we are voting for.
Why thank you. You are quite dream inspiring as well. We are voting for my ascension to advisor status. To which neither the PTBS nor Pardi have addressed yet.

Fishman is my campaign manager and second in command in the future regime.
Depakote is my Chief of Staff
What would you like to be? We've got everything open pretty much, from level 2 janitor to Secretary of State. There's also a court jester position, but you need 14 years of tumbling (don't ask me, Fishman sets the requirements).

I also notice taht you are from Maryland, Karakiz... do you happen to be a JHUer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. how about.. "High Commander" - not of anything in particular, just High Commander. :D

I also notice taht you are from Maryland, Karakiz... do you happen to be a JHUer

Oh no, at least not since 7th grade and CTY... I'm a Terp. Although I see that you too are a lab monkey. I'm in Bethesda (NIH) and I hope your project is more interesting than mine (actually I have 3 concurrent projects that are all equally boring b/c my boss is a slave-driver and I put up with it).

When I interviewed at two well-ranked schools, the students would ask me where I was from, so I'd say, "Oh, I'm from Maryland." Then they say, "Oh, Hopkins?" And then I'd say, "No, not Hopkins. Just Maryland. The University of Maryland. You know, the Terps..." And then they say, "Oh.. ok, cool.." And the look on their faces said "I wonder what she did to get an interview here coming from the University of Maryland..." Thats when I say, "I'm from Maryland and nobody can beat me, fool!" Except I never really ever said that...

Whatever, its not like they didn't think I was already weird, just cause I always wear my lucky penguin socks to my interviews. Some people say tacky, I say, they're just jealous of my stylin taste in foot apparel... oh yeah.. :cool:

Oh no, at least not since 7th grade and CTY... I'm a Terp. Although I see that you too are a lab monkey. I'm in Bethesda (NIH) and I hope your project is more interesting than mine (actually I have 3 concurrent projects that are all equally boring b/c my boss is a slave-driver and I put up with it).
I have three concurrent projects as well. 2 were supposed to be published papers but got bounced back asking for more data. =/

When I interviewed at two well-ranked schools, the students would ask me where I was from, so I'd say, "Oh, I'm from Maryland." Then they say, "Oh, Hopkins?" And then I'd say, "No, not Hopkins. Just Maryland. The University of Maryland. You know, the Terps..." And then they say, "Oh.. ok, cool.." And the look on their faces said "I wonder what she did to get an interview here coming from the University of Maryland..." Thats when I say, "I'm from Maryland and nobody can beat me, fool!" Except I never really ever said that...
Don't worry, JHU is overrated. People from here aren't all that, feel free to say that last line around any of these yahoos. You may be a terp, but everyone here is a twerp.

Whatever, its not like they didn't think I was already weird, just cause I always wear my lucky penguin socks to my interviews. Some people say tacky, I say, they're just jealous of my stylin taste in foot apparel... oh yeah.. :cool:
Well when you get sworn in as High Commander Karakiz you can mandate that everyone wear penguin socks on penalty of death and unbearable torture.

(Haemulon rushes into room ... looks around frantically :scared: .... rushes back out. He mumbles something about about the torpedos)

Easy there number one. Second in command means second in command. There is no reason to bomb the High Commander's ass. Unless of course you intend to blow away the clothing as well like you did with me. That might be acceptable Fishman.

(Haemulon rushes into room ... looks around frantically :scared: .... rushes back out. He mumbles something about about the torpedos)

That guy needs a vacation. Or a stiff drink.

Easy there number one. Second in command means second in command. There is no reason to bomb the High Commander's ass. Unless of course you intend to blow away the clothing as well like you did with me. That might be acceptable Fishman.

(Haemulon eyes the High Commander, ponders this new development and considers her invitation for a drink)

I am so changing my nickname from Advice Junkie to High Commander. Then when people say, "High Commander of what?" I can say, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." :D Most excellent.

Pardi what's the word on my inauguration?

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :confused:

yeah, what the dealie, yo?

(Haemulon re-enters room, more slowly this time. He winks at everyone one at a time ... and then stands next to the raging man in blue. It is clear that something will soon happen ...)

Members don't see this ad :)
i used to be a killer at Hold-em. but i havent played in a while, and there is a poker tourney going on at a party im going to tomorrow night. trying to debate whether the fun of playing the game is worth almost certainly losing $25.

there will be a bowl game on too and there will also be a pool table, lots of beer, a hot tub, and a deep fried turkey.

i'm leaving towards the "pool table - beer - hot tub" sequence of events.

i used to be a killer at Hold-em. but i havent played in a while, and there is a poker tourney going on at a party im going to tomorrow night. trying to debate whether the fun of playing the game is worth almost certainly losing $25.

there will be a bowl game on too and there will also be a pool table, lots of beer, a hot tub, and a deep fried turkey.

i'm leaving towards the "pool table - beer - hot tub" sequence of events.

Good call. Definite fun to be had with that sequence of events, but not nessecarily by playing hold'em all night. Not that I don't appreciate a good night of cards, I played a couple nights a week for a few years. Bu tin a mixed company party environment, go with your intuition ;)

Yayy for MD lab people. I currently work at Univ of MD.

MD lab people rock.

Let's hold a jacuzzi party in one of our liquid nitrogen tanks

So whats everyone doing for New Years? I'm having a party at my place (just a small gathring, maybe 15 people). Some bubbley for the midnight toast of course, but for the most part well-drinks and beer for everyone.

So whats everyone doing for New Years? I'm having a party at my place (just a small gathring, maybe 15 people). Some bubbley for the midnight toast of course, but for the most part well-drinks and beer for everyone.

Haemulon - Where's the invite??? :p

I have a similar party situation. Its nice to enjoy new years with a few good friends.

I'm going to First Night Annapolis. Apparently, they have fireworks and live music. I personally am going to make good use of the "Rock and Roll Warrior" flask I picked up at the RocknRoll Hall of Fame Museum when I interviewed at the Cleveland Clinic (I just found out yesterday I was put on the "hold" list there - CRAPPY christmas present CCF dudes...)

So yeah, pretty much figure I'll let Jack Daniels take away the pain, be a belligerent drunk for the night, the usual... :D

I'm going to First Night Annapolis. Apparently, they have fireworks and live music. I personally am going to make good use of the "Rock and Roll Warrior" flask I picked up at the RocknRoll Hall of Fame Museum when I interviewed at the Cleveland Clinic (I just found out yesterday I was put on the "hold" list there - CRAPPY christmas present CCF dudes...)

So yeah, pretty much figure I'll let Jack Daniels take away the pain, be a belligerent drunk for the night, the usual... :D

A Jack Daniels woman eh? :thumbup: Gotta love that liquorish goodness. Sorry about your hold status though. I can definitely empathize :(

A Jack Daniels woman eh? :thumbup: Gotta love that liquorish goodness. Sorry about your hold status though. I can definitely empathize :(

Yeah I was pretty down about it. I've only had two interviews. The other one was UCSF, so I'm not holding my breath to get an acceptance there (you know, b/c its UCSF). I've gotten two rejections, and I havent heard back from my other schools yet, not even my state school. A hold at Cleveland Clinic and a probable waitlist at UCSF has been wearing on me. Anyway, I thought the Cleveland Clinic interview went really well. I was expecting more than a hold, and I was pretty sad when I got a tiny letter in the mail instead of a giant packet. When I showed the bf the letter, he said "Well, at least you didn't get rejected!"

I swear I almost kicked him in the head.

You have a standing invitation at my Tavern. For you, drinks are always on the house. :cool:

How's that baby doing?

Jake is doing great. He's starting to come down from all of the attention he received during the week before Christmas though, so he's having to adjust to having just Mommy and Daddy around - not a happy camper!

Jake is doing great. He's starting to come down from all of the attention he received during the week before Christmas though, so he's having to adjust to having just Mommy and Daddy around - not a happy camper!

I definitely understand. My two babies have come down with a winter cold and I fear it will probably last through the season. They sound horrible (congested, sneezing, coughing) but we have taken them to the doctor and there really isn't much that can be done. Running the 'ol humidifier and suctioning their little stuffy noses though. My two year old has a cough, but she's fine. She sure had a fun Christmas! "Cars" and "Thomas the Train" were big hits this year. :D

Thanks for the support guys - I'm currently practicing my telepathy to figure out where exactly I am on the hold list.. :)

And for those of you with kids - is it really as cool as I think its going to be to be able to watch your own genetic offspring running around? In a time where people say they never want to get married or have kids, I for one can't wait to have kids. They'd be like half me except they're actually another person... its crazy... Plus I am a sucker for babies.. I had 2 nephews and 1 neice born withing 2 weeks of each other this summer and I have been in hog heaven.

Thanks for the support guys - I'm currently practicing my telepathy to figure out where exactly I am on the hold list.. :)

And for those of you with kids - is it really as cool as I think its going to be to be able to watch your own genetic offspring running around? In a time where people say they never want to get married or have kids, I for one can't wait to have kids. They'd be like half me except they're actually another person... its crazy... Plus I am a sucker for babies.. I had 2 nephews and 1 neice born withing 2 weeks of each other this summer and I have been in hog heaven.

Its the best feeling I have ever felt, watching and interacting with my children. It is very intense, very fullfilling (and a little scary at times too, but its all part of it).

t0m537.jpg

HAH I found it. Episode 13, Season 4, titled "Devil's Due." The index finger was extended as well. Whoever did this photoshop is very creative...

HAH I found it. Episode 13, Season 4, titled "Devil's Due." The index finger was extended as well. Whoever did this photoshop is very creative...

im interested to know how long it took you to find that.

did anyone enjoy weird al's star trek reference in "white and nerdy"?

only question I ever thought was hard was "Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?"

for those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the song, its definately worth watching the video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

I heard Chamillionaire liked the song so much, he even put it on his website..

im interested to know how long it took you to find that.

did anyone enjoy weird al's star trek reference in "white and nerdy"?

only question I ever thought was hard was "Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?"

for those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the song, its definately worth watching the video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

I heard Chamillionaire liked the song so much, he even put it on his website..

That was quite cute. Any others I should watch?

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=551670992127427964&q=guitar&hl=en[/GVIDEO]

This dude is awesome, I know it has been posted before, but I was watching it tonight and thought I'd share :) .

oh btw, as a general update, I did play poker and I won. apparently i am awesome. :D i got pretty trashed too, and Maryland won the bowl game, so it was a pretty good night i'd have to say.

oh btw, as a general update, I did play poker and I won. apparently i am awesome. :D i got pretty trashed too, and Maryland won the bowl game, so it was a pretty good night i'd have to say.

No Hot Tub? Hot tub + getting trashed = interesting anectdotes :thumbup: Good for a personal statement!

My best friend's grandfather died and she just called me today to tell me. I tried my best to be supportive and all but I always feel REALLY AWKWARD about the subject of death when I'm talking to close friends. I don't really know what else to do or say except send flowers and tell them that I am there for them 24/7 if they need me.

Is there anything else I can or should do? Depending on what kind of medicine i choose to pursue I might be dealing with death a lot. What's a muffindoctor to do?

I'm really sorry to hear that. I was in the dressing room at Rugged Wearhouse when my brother called me to tell me that my grandfather died. We knew he didn't have much time left, so my mom had hopped on a plane to Turkey as soon as she could. He died 25 minutes after she walked in the door. He said he was waiting to say good bye to her. Obviously, I broke down in the dressing room, and my best friend drove my car home. She sat with me, put her arm around me, and let me talk about my grandfather, which helped a lot.

There's not really anything that you can do for your friend that you havent already done. Keep in mind that your friend will prob need someone to talk to in the next few weeks about other family stuff. A death in the family usually makes for stressful times and brings up other issues, and I'm sure she will appreciate having someone to talk to. When my mom went to Turkey, I had to move back home for 3 weeks to take care of my little sister, make her lunch, do the laundry, make dinner, etc, and I was pretty stressed out, especially b/c I was working and in school at the same time. It was really nice having a good friend to talk to.

In terms of dealing with death as a doctor, I saw one ER doctor do it best. He tailored his response to the event. He was always very honest and sincere. If the family was prepared for a death, he would keep his responses pretty short. He would say he was sorry for their loss and he did everything he could, answer any questions they had, etc, but it wasn't really what he said as much as it was the way he said it. He was very genuine. He really was sorry for their loss, you know what I mean?

We had an elderly patient who died in her sleep unexpectedly. The ER doc tried to revive her for 45 minutes. Her family was shocked and devastated. I think he talked to them for almost an hour (which is an eternity to spend on one patient in the Emergency Room). They didn't even talk about much really, it just seemed like the family really needed to talk to someone. He was so kind and considerate that it damn near broke my heart. It made me think - man, thats what a doctor is supposed to be.

Ok, different subject. Elvis vs. the Beatles. Which one do you prefer? I am an Elvis man myself. :cool:

I am a fan of Blue Christmas and Jailhouse rock, but Hey Jude is nice too.

But I like country more than British whining so I'd go with Elvis.

I am a fan of Blue Christmas and Jailhouse rock, but Hey Jude is nice too.

But I like country more than British whining so I'd go with Elvis.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Right on. Score 2 for the King. (I also like some Beatles stuff, but if we must choose .....)

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=551670992127427964&q=guitar&hl=en[/GVIDEO]

This dude is awesome, I know it has been posted before, but I was watching it tonight and thought I'd share :) .

When I was watching this on the screen I looked over at your avatar and it looked like they were dancing to it

Right on. Score 2 for the King. (I also like some Beatles stuff, but if we must choose .....)

Oh man, ok, totally off topic, but my boyfriend's band plays at this Irish pub/restaurant and the owner of the bar is a great Elvis impersonator (he goes by "Fat Elvis" since he has a big beer gut :D ). He's got a great voice and does awesome Elvis covers. For Christmas, he dressed up as Fat Elvis Santa, complete with red suit, boots, Elvis wig and sideburns, and big gold glasses. Then he did a few Christmas favorites Elvis-style. It was so much fun.. It sounds like you guys are some of the only people who could appreciate Fat Elvis Santa singing "Let It Snow" as much as I did.

He even says "Thank you, Thank you very much." He's so cheesy. I love it.

Are you what people refer to as a "groupie"? I never fully understood that term...

I'm bored at work so I thought I'd join in on the randomness. I'm not a big country fan, so I'm gonna have to go with the Beatles.

Oh man, ok, totally off topic, but my boyfriend's band plays at this Irish pub/restaurant and the owner of the bar is a great Elvis impersonator (he goes by "Fat Elvis" since he has a big beer gut :D ). He's got a great voice and does awesome Elvis covers. For Christmas, he dressed up as Fat Elvis Santa, complete with red suit, boots, Elvis wig and sideburns, and big gold glasses. Then he did a few Christmas favorites Elvis-style. It was so much fun.. It sounds like you guys are some of the only people who could appreciate Fat Elvis Santa singing "Let It Snow" as much as I did.

He even says "Thank you, Thank you very much." He's so cheesy. I love it.

I think there's a Fat Elvis that performs in Vegas too. Ididn't see him when I was there this summer (we went to the Blue Man Group, which was incredible), but I heard that he's very entertaining.