Rank to Match email response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

im4ever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

basically I sent a thank you letter to a pd of one of the top 10 IM programs and received a response that he would be delighted to have me as an intern for upcoming next year and he would rank me to the level that I would match to his program should i choose to do so...this is after 1 week i sent the thank you letter.

question is should I believe in this email from the pd after he stated so bluntly and stop going to other programs that I deemed to be lower than this program? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

basically I sent a thank you letter to a pd of one of the top 10 IM programs and received a response that he would be delighted to have me as an intern for upcoming next year and he would rank me to the level that I would match to his program should i choose to do so...this is after 1 week i sent the thank you letter.

question is should I believe in this email from the pd after he stated so bluntly and stop going to other programs that I deemed to be lower than this program? Thanks for your input.

He's probably telling the truth. He's got no reason to lie. But both you and he (and every other PD that get's email about how they are #1) should probably be as cynical as possible. Every year we stories about things that didn't pan out.

Go to the rest of your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know exactly what program you're talking about, and I got the exact same email. Sorry to say, but it's probably a templated form that he sends to all the "thank yous".

I was told over the phone by the PD at my top choice of prelims that I was "ranked to match" and ended up matching at my second choice. I was more surprised than anything else.

Remember that the PD can look back to previous years and see how far down the list they tend to go, and if you are around the bottom of the list of people they want to take, you might end up out in the cold if they close out sooner. For example, if the PD has 24 spots and he/she usually fills his class by 35-38, then he/she may put you at 32 and tell you that you are ranked to match. But if it is a great year for him/her and he/she gets most of his/her top picks, he/she might fill the class at 29 and you could get screwed. It doesn't really matter to him/her because the class gets filled with people the PD likes (even better than you).

The PD really shouldn't tell you that you are ranked to match unless you are guaranteed a spot as long as you rank them #1, but hey.

Technically telling you so bluntly is a match violation, but it happens a lot.

Technically telling you so bluntly is a match violation, but it happens a lot.

No it's not. A program and applicant can express as much interest in each other as they like. What is the match violation is asking where you are ranked. A program cannot ask where you are ranking them, and you cannot ask where a program is ranking you. You can tell each other as much as you like how awesome each other is, especially all oiled up and in that bikini!

No it's not. A program and applicant can express as much interest in each other as they like. What is the match violation is asking where you are ranked. A program cannot ask where you are ranking them, and you cannot ask where a program is ranking you. !

But you are allowed to let a a program that you are ranking them #1, right?

Should you tell your #1 program that they are your #1?

If you search the SDN archives then you will see pages and pages of posts devoted to this very question. Plenty of people before you have overthought this question, so why not exploit their wisdom and save yourself a bit of time?

I did. But I waited until right before I needed to submit rank lists. Probably should try and second look your number one too, if you can. It's ability to help you is inversely proportional to program prestige IMHO. In other words it means more to a mid tier program, especially if you liked them and you got the sense they liked you.

Don't be a d-bag and tell more than one program you love them.

Thank you all for your input! I will keep it in mind and rank the program based on my gut.

Dude, it's not like dating where you play hard-to-get even if you're really into a person (not that you should do that in dating anyways... but that's just me). What have you got to lose by telling your #1 program that they're your #1, unless you're an idiot and went around telling 10 programs that?

I expressed my undying love for my #1 in a gazillion ways (during the interview, with emails, asking dean at my school to call them, everything). Match day came and dream program said yes I do :love:

unless you're an idiot and went around telling 10 programs that?

Is there a reason other than basic human decency people are saying not to tell multiple programs how much you love them? Do they talk about you to each other, or is it just multiple programs potentially contacting your PD asking about you?

Is there a reason other than basic human decency people are saying not to tell multiple programs how much you love them? Do they talk about you to each other, or is it just multiple programs potentially contacting your PD asking about you?

yes they talk to each other. yes it's a small community. yes, people know each other. yes, if they are interested in you, they will often call the program director of your home program. yes, you can be burned playing games like that....

I know exactly what program you're talking about, and I got the exact same email. Sorry to say, but it's probably a templated form that he sends to all the "thank yous".

Ditto.