This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am participating in this year's dental match for pediatric dentistry, and rank submissions are due in a few days.
I am having a bit of an issue deciding between which program I should rank 1 vs 2 on my list.
Some background info:
  • Program A is extremely competitive, but I have dreamed about going there since dental school started and was shocked that I was invited to interview there after learning how competitive it is.
  • I visited Program B and also fell in love with it during the interview, but I know that it is less competitive than Program A
  • Program A has 3 spots available
  • Program B has 5 spots available
  • I am not in the top 10% of my class, however, I am in the top 20% (I was told that the numbers make no difference once you are invited to interview anyway), and I have a lot of extracurricular, shadowing, research, publication, etc experience.
  • I received positive feedback from the director of Program A during the interview, however, I am unsure if he says that to everyone or if he truly meant to give me a discreet sign.
  • I received positive feedback from the director and the residents of Program B, but again, I have no way of knowing if that is the norm or if they were also giving me a green light.

Side note: I would definitely be ecstatic to match at any program, and I do not want to essentially ruin my chances of matching at either of my top two options by ranking one higher than the other and possibly "throwing away" the coveted #1 spot for my dream school, which I feel is a bit of a reach.
**I also know that attempts to outsmart/play Match are not advised and it's always best to follow one's heart, however, I can't help but question ranking Program A over Program B, as I feel that there is likely a higher probability that I may match to Program B, as I perceived that Program A would favor the more academically competitive applicant since it is a highly sought-after program.

I would appreciate any advice!! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

your ranks do not affect your chances at either program individually

if you feel like you're ranked top 5 at B you are guaranteed to match once it falls down to that program on your list, even if it is the 100th program on your rank list

ranking program A over B does not hurt your chances at B
you would only not match at B in the above scenario if A took you
Thanks for your response HeyEjo!
I was under the impression that the match considers everyone's #1 spot first, then everyone's #2 spot, so let's say I'm 6 or 7 on B's list, and B's top-ranked people also ranked it #2 or lower (assuming they possible do/don't match at their top programs), I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if that makes sense.
Not sure if I'm thinking about it in the correct way, just what I got from the About Match video.
Any advice o something like that?

Thanks for your response HeyEjo!
I was under the impression that the match considers everyone's #1 spot first, then everyone's #2 spot, so let's say I'm 6 or 7 on B's list, and B's top-ranked people also ranked it #2 or lower (assuming they possible do/don't match at their top programs), I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if that makes sense.
Not sure if I'm thinking about it in the correct way, just what I got from the About Match video.
Any advice o something like that?

The match does consider everyone's #1 rank first, but you still show a fundamental misunderstanding in relation to how individuals are matched to programs. RANK ACCORDING TO YOUR TRUE PREFERENCE. That is the only way to complete this process. If you want to go to program A more, rank program A #1. Ranking program B #2 does not, in any way, reduce your chances of matching there in relation to any other applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The match does consider everyone's #1 rank first, but you still show a fundamental misunderstanding in relation to how individuals are matched to programs. RANK ACCORDING TO YOUR TRUE PREFERENCE. That is the only way to complete this process. If you want to go to program A more, rank program A #1. Ranking program B #2 does not, in any way, reduce your chances of matching there in relation to any other applicants.
Thank you alldemtheeth! I was thinking the same, but a professor made a sound argument alluding to the notion that it does. Aghhhh this process is giving me grey hairs. :oldman:

Thank you alldemtheeth! I was thinking the same, but a professor made a sound argument alluding to the notion that it does. Aghhhh this process is giving me grey hairs. :oldman: