RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bummer you are sick, too. But it'll be kinda nice just to stay in tonight. Hope you feel better soon!

You too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Spending Valentine's Day on call. Seems like everyone has decided to skip the romance in favor of sitting at home staring at their animals. I've already had my arm up three rectums and two uteruses. Oh the glamour.

Spending Valentine's Day on call. Seems like everyone has decided to skip the romance in favor of sitting at home staring at their animals. I've already had my arm up three rectums and two uteruses. Oh the glamour.

Sounds like a very "intimate" Valentine's Day... ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ranting about doctors leaving for Vegas....their flight leaves at 3 and have appointments until 2. Having to 1) tell owners about lab results (basically be liable for any missed diagnoses on the doctor's part) and 2) be here when there is not a doctor....couldn't you schedule your flight for later in the evening?! Don't you have a job?!
Ugh.

ended up having to go to the hospital for an insanely bad migraine. still not totally gone and viro test is on monday.

I must be getting complacent with all the bats I've been handling lately because this is the second week in a row I had one bite my glove. And this time I really thought he may have bitten through. Luckily there weren't any holes in the vinyl glove I had on underneath the fabric one so there's no chance I was potentially inoculated with rabies. Ughh. Just makes me think of all the bats people drop off at work for euthanasia and rabies testing because there's a slight chance they were bitten in their sleep (because bats are vicious creatures that come out of hibernation and attack you in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever :vamp:) and an even more slim chance they have rabies.

And I just remembered the squirrel pee I got in my eye earlier. Just one of those days...

I must be getting complacent with all the bats I've been handling lately because this is the second week in a row I had one bite my glove. And this time I really thought he may have bitten through. Luckily there weren't any holes in the vinyl glove I had on underneath the fabric one so there's no chance I was potentially inoculated with rabies. Ughh. Just makes me think of all the bats people drop off at work for euthanasia and rabies testing because there's a slight chance they were bitten in their sleep (because bats are vicious creatures that come out of hibernation and attack you in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever :vamp:) and an even more slim chance they have rabies.

And I just remembered the squirrel pee I got in my eye earlier. Just one of those days...
ugh. please tell me you have your pre-exposure series.

While only ~6% of bats have rabies, they are the #1 cause of rabies in humans. I understand why people bring them in to be tested. If I found a bat in my room, I'd do the same thing. For starters, I have 3 mammals running around covered in fur that won't be able to tell me or show me where a bat has potentially bitten them. I've never been bitten by a bat, but I can feel the exact moment a mosquito bite me, so I feel like I could feel a bat bite IF I was awake. But who knows.

What do you do that has you handling bats? Any place I've worked has a strict policy of euthanizing any bats that present, doing so via isofluorane OD and without any human handling. Is it for rehab purposes??

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you do that has you handling bats? Any place I've worked has a strict policy of euthanizing any bats that present, doing so via isofluorane OD and without any human handling. Is it for rehab purposes??
i initially read this as "isofluorane to the right eye" :laugh: i'm tired!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah but most normal bats don't spend a lot of near humans. So I'm sure the bats that co-habitate with people have a higher incidence due to some of the issues with rabies.
I think the 6% is the statistic the CDC hands out, and if I remember right, it's based off of only bats that do co-habitate with people (or live closely enough to where they were found near a home or something) and were brought in because there was a concern for whatever reason. If someone were able to extrapolate that 6% to the entire bat population in the country, it'd probably be way lower then.

Edit: I realize that I said "6% of bats" so my bad!
i initially read this as "isofluorane to the right eye" :laugh: i'm tired!
bahaha I need to be more careful with abbreviations! iso to the right eye....doesn't sound fun. Reminds me of the time I watched a frog get euthanized with iso mixed with lube and applied to the skin....kind of awful to watch.

I think the 6% is the statistic the CDC hands out, and if I remember right, it's based off of only bats that do co-habitate with people (or live closely enough to where they were found near a home or something) and were brought in because there was a concern for whatever reason. If someone were able to extrapolate that 6% to the entire bat population in the country, it'd probably be way lower then.

Edit: I realize that I said "6% of bats" so my bad!

bahaha I need to be more careful with abbreviations! iso to the right eye....doesn't sound fun. Reminds me of the time I watched a frog get euthanized with iso mixed with lube and applied to the skin....kind of awful to watch.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110131133323.htm

looks like at least 10% that are brought to be tested...

The CDC recommends testing bats/getting post-exposure vaccines for people who have found a bat in a room when they were sleeping. Also in rooms with small children/drunk people (thanks, emerging diseases class).

Even that CDC link backs up what dy is saying...

"any bat that is active by day or is found in a place where bats are not usually seen like in your home or on your lawn just might be rabid"

Because it is just as dy was saying... rabies causes behavior changes which leads to bats being found in odd places... homes, churches, etc. Just get the bat tested to be sure. The exact % of how many end up being positive isn't what is important.

The CDC recommends testing bats/getting post-exposure vaccines for people who have found a bat in a room when they were sleeping. Also in rooms with small children/drunk people (thanks, emerging diseases class).

The study I cited uses CDC data. It could even be newer data. The CDC info you cited doesn't give a study.
You'd think the CDC would keep their website up to date though. They are supposed to be the go-to for these things...
Even that CDC link backs up what dy is saying...

"any bat that is active by day or is found in a place where bats are not usually seen like in your home or on your lawn just might be rabid"

Because it is just as dy was saying... rabies causes behavior changes which leads to bats being found in odd places... homes, churches, etc. Just get the bat tested to be sure. The exact % of how many end up being positive isn't what is important.
not disagreeing with anyone. I was offering a % since the 'OP' suggested that having a rabid bat in your home is rare, when any % you choose to use shows that it occurs often enough to make testing the bat a good idea. The OP made it seem like sending bats in without blinking an eye isn't necessary.

Conflicting statistics as in the CDC has one number, and the other website linked uses another.

Edit: The CDC page is actually more recent by a month, but you can't assume that they updated the stats and not something else...

Last edited:
I was not expecting to start a big discussion, haha. Perhaps I should clarify, I totally understand why people have bats tested for rabies and would always recommend that they do. What kind of student of public health would I be if I didn't? I just think it's sad, and hope that someday someone will find another reliable enough way to test for rabies, not just for the sake of the bats but for all the other animals euthanized for testing and all the people who have to undergo post-exposure prophylaxis for the relatively small chance they were exposed to something that couldn't be tested. I'm mad at myself for giving him the chance to bite me and risking having to add him to all those bats that get tested.

Yes we rehab the bats, but we also submit a fair number for testing. They ask anyone who brings a bat in a pretty thorough set of questions to decide the likelihood of human exposure, and ultimately if the submitter is concerned, it is their prerogative to have the bat tested. Any that show signs of rabies are tested. Is that the right thing to do? I don't really know, but it's what they have chosen to do, and we're far from being the only ones who do it. Most of the bats just come in for disturbed hibernation and are otherwise totally healthy besides being a bit thin. And I do have rabies pre-exposure shots (they wouldn't let me near the bats if I didn't) not to mention a titer taken six weeks ago that showed a nicely robust immune response. As a rule, generally if any RVS bites anyone they have to be tested, but this one didn't actually bite me. I filled the glove up with water and squeezed to make sure there weren't any tiny holes. Bat teeth are tiny, but they're not that tiny.

Reactions: 1 users
Our "feels like" temp was -11 at 10am this morning. Guess who was trying to suture leg wounds with frozen fingers. at least with the dystocias my hands are warm.

Current temp here in random midwest state: 11 degrees, feels like -2.... :(

Here it's 5 degrees, feels like too damn cold (-8)
When is winter over??

Our "feels like" temp was -11 at 10am this morning. Guess who was trying to suture leg wounds with frozen fingers. at least with the dystocias my hands are warm.

This is basically where we've been for the last 2 weeks, at least. Today is actually the mildest day in a long time (21F, feels like 5F). Too bad there's a frigging blizzard outside.

ETA: Not going to lie, kind of annoyed at @that redhead for buggering off and leaving us here in the snow. :p

Shudders... When shoving your arm up a cow's butt hurts like a b***** because it seems like you put it in boiling water. And any kind of rope feels like barbed wire in your hands. I am so sorry for anyone who has to work outside.

nope.gif

Philly is currently 15 degrees with a "feels like" of -2. I had to run to CVS which is like 3 blocks over and it hurt to breathe in when the wind blew. Walking to the school in the AM when it's still dark out is going to suck.

I like doing things on my own but sometimes the unsolicited advice and comments from random, strange men can be a little too much when you're not with a group. In the course of eating my dinner alone I got a stupid lecture from one male customer about "choosing crystals wisely" (I was wearing a turquoise necklace so this guy asked "do you know the properties of turquoise?" and like the science-loving person I am, I thought he meant chemical properties and not bull**** new-age woo). Then the restaurant manager came around and called me "princess" multiple times while he asked me questions about one of my key fobs. Princess? Please, I'm a f*cking 28 year old woman. Let me eat in peace.

I don't think that I'm going back to that restaurant.

I like doing things on my own but sometimes the unsolicited advice and comments from random, strange men can be a little too much when you're not with a group. In the course of eating my dinner alone I got a stupid lecture from one male customer about "choosing crystals wisely" (I was wearing a turquoise necklace so this guy asked "do you know the properties of turquoise?" and like the science-loving person I am, I thought he meant chemical properties and not bull**** new-age woo). Then the restaurant manager came around and called me "princess" multiple times while he asked me questions about one of my key fobs. Princess? Please, I'm a f*cking 28 year old woman. Let me eat in peace.

Sometimes these things happen even when you are with a group. Sometimes you're just casually playing pool with your friends when a random guy decides to try to teach you how to play and eventually just takes over the whole table and you just kind of have to slowly back away and pretend you were done playing anyway...

I can't shake this migraine. Nothing I've done has worked. The meds they gave me at the hospital made the pain go away but it still felt like there was a ton of pressure in my head. When I woke up this morning both the pain and feeling of pressure were there. I can't focus to get work done. Grrr.

I work at a call center, and I'm used to customers (both male and female) calling me "honey" or "dear" or whatever, although it still irks. But today I had this older man who referred to me as "my love" multiple times. :wtf: He was polite other than that, it was like he just forgot he wasn't talking to his wife or something!

All this complaining about cold temperatures is making me laugh :rofl: Not just on here, but on my facebook newsfeed, during phone calls with my parents... The "feels like" temperature when I went outside yesterday was -8 or something and I was totally fine with that. Just as long as it's not -30. Then I start getting grumpy.

On to my rant. Last week I submitted an application for a grant for a club event (a multi day spay/neuter clinic). The grant policies said I would have to present my grant request to the grants committee in person for it to be considered, so I was waiting to find out when that would happen. Got an email on Friday about doing it as a phone interview over the weekend, asking when I'd be available. I gave them a pretty wide window of time I'd be available, figuring they'd get back to me with an email with a more specific time. When they didn't, I assumed they would just call me at some point during the times I gave them, so I spent most of the weekend except for when I was volunteering last night with my phone glued to my side waiting for them to call, and they never did. So I emailed them again this evening. Haven't heard anything back. :wtf:I was told in the original email that if they didn't hear from me by Sunday my grant application wouldn't be considered. Like hello, I haven't heard from you!!! We need this money, so if you don't consider my grant application because your people can't get their act together, I'm going to be royally peeved, and you will feel my wrath. :boom: Except you really won't, because I'm too shy a person to pull it off. Which is the same reason I can't bring myself to call Comcast and have a very strongly worded conversation with them about the sales lady who flat out lied to me on the phone last month and told me I'd be saving $4 a month by agreeing to a change in my plan instead of charging me $14 extra a month for basic cable which I don't need because I already have an antenna for my TV which I don't use as it is.

And totally random, but I just realized that this smiley :pigeon: is, in fact, supposed to be a pigeon. I don't understand why there's a pigeon smiley, but hey, who cares, because pigeons are awesome! :pigeon::pigeon::pigeon::pigeon::pigeon:

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone complaining about cold weather, please swap lives with me. Sitting here almost melting away in 40 degrees celsius!:barf:

On another note, Im just frustrated that holidays arent over yet, wanna start my first year of vet school :)
Our summer holidays is 3 months long so after 2 months and spending those 2 months just stressing about whether I would get into vet school or not just makes me want to get on with the studying :D

Philly is currently 15 degrees with a "feels like" of -2. I had to run to CVS which is like 3 blocks over and it hurt to breathe in when the wind blew. Walking to the school in the AM when it's still dark out is going to suck.

And now it's 3 degrees with a feels like of -16. :( My Job involves walking all over campus. And I'm 8.5 months pregnant. And I left my gloves in my husband's car. Today's going to suck.

I was supposed to have an ICU shift from 7:30-12:15 this morning. At 6:00, I woke up, got dressed, went outside to look at the driveway and the road and basically copied the octopus all the way back into the house. "Nope nope nope nope..." Called the ICU, told them "sorry" (pretty sure they didn't expect me to come in anyway) and went back to bed.

And now it's 3 degrees with a feels like of -16. :( My Job involves walking all over campus. And I'm 8.5 months pregnant. And I left my gloves in my husband's car. Today's going to suck.

Yikes. That sounds bad, jj. :(

I didn't sleep well last night. Today I basically rolled out of bed and went to work. Apparently I forgot to feed the cats. Ugh. It's going to be one of those days.

I am going to end up stuck in this hospital for the next 36 hours I bet. Winter weather and being on call are dumb. Boo. Also, the other kid on my rotation is doing as little as he possibly can to scrape by (leaving me with more work and longer hours) and I'm starting to really get annoyed. Heck, I'm not even going to see horses as a vet when I graduate and he's going to be a mixed vet! Grr. 7 more days...

Couldn't sleep last night, woke up feeling just a touch like death, so elected to sleep in through my first 2 hour class. Reset my alarm but apparently forgot to turn it on because I woke up just as my second 2 hour class would have been starting. Now I have no motivation to go in for my afternoon class, not to mention it started snowing so the roads will be iffy.

I wish they had two tracks for people: a morning person-track and a night owl-track. Someone should implement that.

Being an adult and not getting snow days anymore is no fun. :( I understand they need me to come into work, because several people who live outside of town called in, but I'm really not looking forward to digging my little car out of of this snow. It's nothing compared to what you all up north are getting, but I'm extra skittish about driving in winter weather after I had a minor fender bender last year (although that was on a day where the main roads were clear and the snow was melting, but there were some surprise slick patches on side streets). Clearly I need to move somewhere warm. Unfortunately Florida was the only southern school I applied to and they didn't want me! :p

Full on cold for my first day of my soft tissue rotation. Womp.

Rave part: seeing some cool things!

ETA: 3 hour sx with a cold and stuffy gowns is a horrible experience.

Last edited:
Since I'm not too confident on vet school this fall I've started looking into breeding internships for next spring, since therio is what I'm extremely interested in. Talking with a few program coordinators, and a couple have already said that if I do get accepted, I can't bring my cat with.
I know that really shouldn't be worrying because this is almost a year away, but I'm already worrying :confused: