RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being an adult and not getting snow days anymore is no fun. :( I understand they need me to come into work, because several people who live outside of town called in, but I'm really not looking forward to digging my little car out of of this snow. It's nothing compared to what you all up north are getting, but I'm extra skittish about driving in winter weather after I had a minor fender bender last year (although that was on a day where the main roads were clear and the snow was melting, but there were some surprise slick patches on side streets). Clearly I need to move somewhere warm. Unfortunately Florida was the only southern school I applied to and they didn't want me! :p
this is why i went to the caribbean ;) hehe not really, but sort of...

Members don't see this ad.

Raleigh is frozen solid. Took 35 mins to melt and scrape enough ice off the car to drive on the solid sheet of ice that was the road...the university says we should make judgement calls and be safe, but the tone says you are expected to be here 4th years. The services also have that tone. It's so frustrating. Sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of December an acquaintance heard I was looking for vets to shadow to increase my breadth of veterinary experience, and put me in touch with a friend of theirs that was a manager at an ER hospital. It took some time, but the manager got it worked out with the hospital to let me shadow. She emailed me last week saying she just needed to wait for approval from the new management company (they're currently merging with a larger cooperation, they were independent), but she thought it would work out. The management company finally got back to her/me today, and they won't allow shadowing for liability reasons. Booooo. They did ask if I was interested in interviewing for a full time ER assistant position, but I don't think the hours would work with my current job, which I'd really like to keep.

And of course this was the last ER vet that wasn't managed by this company in my area, so I won't be able to shadow at any of those either. I get the liability issue, but still frustrating. Oh well.

I was just given the honorable title of Mouse Wrangler at my clinic. I can't wait to find out how many times I trap my fingers in those stupid mouse traps.....

Reactions: 1 user
I hate banks. I submitted my payment for my bill to Bank of America on time and it was withdrawn and electronically received the day before the due date for the payment according to my bank. Bank of America decided not to deposit it for two more days!!! So they charged me a late fee and minimum interest. I'm soo annoyed because I've never had a late payment before and this payment technically wasn't. It wasn't even the weekend or a holiday so they have no excuse to hold my money for two days. They're totally getting a call tomorrow. Crap like this is why I closed my checking account with them in the first place.

My townhouse's heating just has no idea what to do with below freezing weather. It's 16 right now with a low of 5, and my house is already at 55. :(

cold.gif

I hit a gosh darn mini iceberg pulling away from the curb today. Sooo angry. I'm at my favorite body shop right now (is it a shame that i have a favorite? ugh) and they are trying to pull the dent. Please pray for my baby subie. I wish VA would learn how to clear the roads! I think it's time to buy that bull bar I've been looking at.. Arghhh

Edit: fixed! I'm so grateful they were able to pull the dent, especially considering how big it was. I was preparing to pay for a new bumper ($600), but now I only have to pay for the underpinning clips, which I will fix on my own at a later date. The shop didn't charge me anything, super amazed. Will have to bake them some delicious cookies tonight and bring them to the shop tomorrow. Yay! Bumper is at 99%, so I will have to smooth out one of the edges when it gets warmer. Sometimes I think I love this hunk of metal more than I love my boyfriend. Next step: bull bar purchase.

SvlifJj.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just kind of a ramble, I'spose.

I'm beginning to reconsider vet med. Maybe if I wasn't already projected to be $35,000 in the hole from undergrad (lived on campus, will be going for five years total, didn't receive much in the way of aid), it'd be different, but... with no SO to help with living costs and no family support, I just don't know if I could handle potentially $100,000+ more on top of that, or at least not with the poor debt:salary ratio of the field in general. I know that people in worse financial/socioeconomic situations have done it, and I certainly respect that - heck, I even admire it - but I don't know if it's right for me personally. Meh.

I always planned on applying for 2016 matriculation, but I don't know if I will now. For one, my GPA's pretty bad (3.25ish for cum, though my science and last-45 are much better), and while I have over 1000 hours of experience in a few areas, I'm not sure that it's enough to compensate. I honestly think I only have any sort of shot at my IS, and even that's iffy as cum GPA is literally like 20% of the admissions decision there. And I'm really not okay with the idea of applying OOS to add yet another $100,000 on top of everything. I don't expect to graduate until May 2016, so I guess, if I really wanted to, I could wait to apply until next cycle after I've had another two semesters to raise my GPA up some more, but at 119 or so credits, it really isn't going to budge too much more. Not to mention that the applicant pools seem to get more and more competitive every year, and the schools seem to be focusing more on grades as time goes on, too.

I've always told younger pre-vets at my undergrad that, unless they really couldn't imagine themselves doing anything else, they really ought to at least look into other options with how the profession is off right now. I just never imagined that I, too, might be having to face that same dilemma. Do I love veterinary medicine? Sure, but I don't know if I'd say that it's the all-consuming passion for me like it seems to be for a lot of others. Of course, then I have to research and look into alternative careers with a Biology B.S. I like microbiology a lot, and there's always the option of looking into shadowing someone from another, "better off" health profession and seeing how I feel about that. I know that this is MY life and no one else's, but I can't help but feel that I'd be letting down a lot of people who say that - despite everything I've been through and all of the stupid stuff I've done - they're proud of me and where I seem to be going.

And, of course, this realization comes now when I've just finished the first draft of my PS and am starting to get things together to apply.

I just feel like there are so many red flags going up for me right now; while I don't think that money necessarily equals happiness, I would imagine that it is certainly a factor. Maybe that makes me selfish. I don't know anymore.

Sorry for the whininess. I know that this ultimately is a decision that only I can make, but... it helps to vent it all out somewhere, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

I'm beginning to reconsider vet med. Maybe if I wasn't already projected to be $35,000 in the hole from undergrad (lived on campus, will be going for five years total, didn't receive much in the way of aid), it'd be different, but... with no SO to help with living costs and no family support, I just don't know if I could handle potentially $100,000+ more on top of that, or at least not with the poor debt:salary ratio of the field in general. I know that people in worse financial/socioeconomic situations have done it, and I certainly respect that - heck, I even admire it - but I don't know if it's right for me personally. Meh.

I always planned on applying for 2016 matriculation, but I don't know if I will now. For one, my GPA's pretty bad (3.25ish for cum, though my science and last-45 are much better), and while I have over 1000 hours of experience in a few areas, I'm not sure that it's enough to compensate. I honestly think I only have any sort of shot at my IS, and even that's iffy as cum GPA is literally like 20% of the admissions decision there. And I'm really not okay with the idea of applying OOS to add yet another $100,000 on top of everything. I don't expect to graduate until May 2016, so I guess, if I really wanted to, I could wait to apply until next cycle after I've had another two semesters to raise my GPA up some more, but at 119 or so credits, it really isn't going to budge too much more. Not to mention that the applicant pools seem to get more and more competitive every year, and the schools seem to be focusing more on grades as time goes on, too.

I've always told younger pre-vets at my undergrad that, unless they really couldn't imagine themselves doing anything else, they really ought to at least look into other options with how the profession is off right now. I just never imagined that I, too, might be having to face that same dilemma. Do I love veterinary medicine? Sure, but I don't know if I'd say that it's the all-consuming passion for me like it seems to be for a lot of others. Of course, then I have to research and look into alternative careers with a Biology B.S. I like microbiology a lot, and there's always the option of looking into shadowing someone from another, "better off" health profession and seeing how I feel about that. I know that this is MY life and no one else's, but I can't help but feel that I'd be letting down a lot of people who say that - despite everything I've been through and all of the stupid stuff I've done - they're proud of me and where I seem to be going.

And, of course, this realization comes now when I've just finished the first draft of my PS and am starting to get things together to apply.

I just feel like all of the cards are stacked against me right now; while I don't think that money necessarily equals happiness, I would imagine that it is certainly a factor. Maybe that makes me selfish. I don't know anymore.

Sorry for the whininess. I know that this ultimately is a decision that only I can make, but... it helps to vent it all out somewhere, I guess.
take some time to figure life out :) BUT dont sell yourself short. just because your stats arent perfect doesnt mean they wouldnt take you. maybe you coud get in touch with admissions to see if theyd give you any advice. and i wouldnt wait to apply based on 2 semesters, those credits will be a drop in the bucket. i doubt very much you'd budge your cum gpa more than .1 (if you're extremely lucky - im bad at math though and i dont think the odds of that are great) and thats not worth waiting on. i stressed a lot about the debt after i accepted, and i stress a lot about it now, but i think that it is doable, especially because you sound like someone who has thought it through and has a level head. debt is a big burden and big deal, but dont let it bully you out of doing something you love.

I just feel like there are so many red flags going up for me right now; while I don't think that money necessarily equals happiness, I would imagine that it is certainly a factor. Maybe that makes me selfish. I don't know anymore.

I think you are awesome for giving this serious consideration. It is not easy to step back and look at something like this that you have been planning on for a while and think hard about it. You deserve some applause for just taking the time to step back and give it good consideration and to voice out the concerns you do have.

No one can tell you what is going to be right for you. Everyone is different. $150K of debt (or more) might not be a big deal for some people while it might be a huge deal for others.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is going to be right for you. Give it some good thought and consideration, whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. :)

take some time to figure life out :) BUT dont sell yourself short. just because your stats arent perfect doesnt mean they wouldnt take you. maybe you coud get in touch with admissions to see if theyd give you any advice. and i wouldnt wait to apply based on 2 semesters, those credits will be a drop in the bucket. i doubt very much you'd budge your cum gpa more than .1 (if you're extremely lucky - im bad at math though and i dont think the odds of that are great) and thats not worth waiting on. i stressed a lot about the debt after i accepted, and i stress a lot about it now, but i think that it is doable, especially because you sound like someone who has thought it through and has a level head. debt is a big burden and big deal, but dont let it bully you out of doing something you love.

I think you are awesome for giving this serious consideration. It is not easy to step back and look at something like this that you have been planning on for a while and think hard about it. You deserve some applause for just taking the time to step back and give it good consideration and to voice out the concerns you do have.

No one can tell you what is going to be right for you. Everyone is different. $150K of debt (or more) might not be a big deal for some people while it might be a huge deal for others.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is going to be right for you. Give it some good thought and consideration, whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. :)

You guys are wonderful, seriously. I don't post much at all, but I do lurk quite a bit, and I just have to say that this is one of the most helpful and supportive internet forums I've ever seen. Thanks so much for the advice!

My situation is a bit unique from a lot of others, I think. I nearly failed out of high school - in part due to flat-out laziness, but also in part due to severe clinical depression that actually went undiagnosed until my freshman year of undergrad. I never aspired to much. And no one else thought I really had a whole lot going for me in my future, either, including my family. Heck, my GPA in high school was so bad that I'm still amazed that I actually managed to graduate and get accepted into a state university (although my ACT score was very good, so that certainly helped). By the way, on the off-chance that any high schoolers are reading: take it seriously. It is SO much harder - or at least it has been in my experience - to actually receive any sort of scholarships or merit-based aid as a college student. The few that I have received, I had to fight tooth and nail for.

My first year of undergrad wasn't much better. I arbitrarily chose to major in Spanish and minor in Japanese because I liked the languages and really didn't think I was "good" at anything else. That didn't turn out too terribly well, and I flustered and wound up with three Ds that year. Thankfully in nothing that could be considered a vet school pre-req, but still. After taking a Gen Bio class and getting an A, my love for the natural sciences was rekindled, so I switched to the biology major; my grades increased substantially and I haven't looked back since. I've got all As and Bs in vet school pre-reqs except for one C in Gen Chem 2 (ugh). I have also taken 18-20 credits every semester while working and shadowing and have just started working on a research project.

My GPA at the end of my freshman year was 1.6ish. Since then, I've managed to bring it up to 3.2. I know that's an accomplishment in itself, but I guess I've come to terms that that still may not be good enough. Especially for my IS, Mizzou, which weighs cum GPA much heavier than other parts of the application.

Add that onto the financial issues I mentioned before, and... yeah. Granted, I've only ever worked for minimum wage, so a veterinarian's typical salary sounds amazing on its own. But when viewed under the lens of all the debt that I will accrue, along with the loans I've already gotten from undergrad, it's really making me rethink it all. Which stinks, because I like the variety of vet med; I like that I get to combine a desire to work with animals, help people, and satiate my thirst for science. But I'm just trying to ground myself in the reality of the profession a little bit before I dive headfirst into applications. I know a lot of pre-vets (especially this cycle, it seems) don't like to hear anything negative about vet med, especially the current debt:salary issue and compassion fatigue, but they're very real problems and they need to be talked about. And by continuously putting on blinders to what current vet students and graduated vets are saying, I really feel that they're doing themselves a disservice. I'm not talking about people on SDN specifically, but also at my own school. Meh. Obviously not saying that I think they need to change career plans or anything, but they really should at least educate themselves about the current state of the profession,

But yeah, I think I'm definitely going to take a few days or so and really consider it all. I may ask my adviser what she thinks, too (she's a DVM herself).

I very much appreciate the kind words. It's nice to have people to talk to about this who actually understand.

Reactions: 2 users
You guys are wonderful, seriously. I don't post much at all, but I do lurk quite a bit, and I just have to say that this is one of the most helpful and supportive internet forums I've ever seen. Thanks so much for the advice!

My situation is a bit unique from a lot of others, I think. I nearly failed out of high school - in part due to flat-out laziness, but also in part due to severe clinical depression that actually went undiagnosed until my freshman year of undergrad. I never aspired to much. And no one else thought I really had a whole lot going for me in my future, either, including my family. Heck, my GPA in high school was so bad that I'm still amazed that I actually managed to graduate and get accepted into a state university (although my ACT score was very good, so that certainly helped). By the way, on the off-chance that any high schoolers are reading: take it seriously. It is SO much harder - or at least it has been in my experience - to actually receive any sort of scholarships or merit-based aid as a college student. The few that I have received, I had to fight tooth and nail for.

My first year of undergrad wasn't much better. I arbitrarily chose to major in Spanish and minor in Japanese because I liked the languages and really didn't think I was "good" at anything else. That didn't turn out too terribly well, and I flustered and wound up with three Ds that year. Thankfully in nothing that could be considered a vet school pre-req, but still. After taking a Gen Bio class and getting an A, my love for the natural sciences was rekindled, so I switched to the biology major; my grades increased substantially and I haven't looked back since. I've got all As and Bs in vet school pre-reqs except for one C in Gen Chem 2 (ugh). I have also taken 18-20 credits every semester while working and shadowing and have just started working on a research project.

My GPA at the end of my freshman year was 1.6ish. Since then, I've managed to bring it up to 3.2. I know that's an accomplishment in itself, but I guess I've come to terms that that still may not be good enough. Especially for my IS, Mizzou, which weighs cum GPA much heavier than other parts of the application.

Add that onto the financial issues I mentioned before, and... yeah. Granted, I've only ever worked for minimum wage, so a veterinarian's typical salary sounds amazing on its own. But when viewed under the lens of all the debt that I will accrue, along with the loans I've already gotten from undergrad, it's really making me rethink it all. Which stinks, because I like the variety of vet med; I like that I get to combine a desire to work with animals, help people, and satiate my thirst for science. But I'm just trying to ground myself in the reality of the profession a little bit before I dive headfirst into applications. I know a lot of pre-vets around here (especially this cycle, it seems) don't like to hear anything about the current debt:salary issue and compassion fatigue, but they're very real problems and they need to be talked about. And by continuously putting on blinders to what current vet students and graduated vets are saying, I really feel that they're doing themselves a disservice. I'm not talking about people on SDN specifically, but also at my own school. Meh.

But yeah, I think I'm definitely going to take a few days or so and really think about it all. I may ask my adviser what she thinks, too (she's a DVM herself).

Thanks so much for the advice, really. It's nice to have people to talk to about this who actually understand.
From what I've seen, some just flat out don't know the reality of it. Heck, my boss just did a round table for second-years about practice ownership. She thought they were just teasing her when someone said they plan on buying out a practice, then selling to a corporation and making around 90-100k within 10 years. I mean, maybe that's possible....they came up with that plan somehow. I think a lot of prevets are just so stuck on the light at the end of the tunnel for such long periods of time (10-15 years for some), that they forget about the other parts of life....finances, having a family, etc.

Also, I am extremely glad that you found out about your depression. I think that is one of the biggest things that can quietly drag a person down. Congrats, really.

From what I've seen, some just flat out don't know the reality of it. Heck, my boss just did a round table for second-years about practice ownership. She thought they were just teasing her when someone said they plan on buying out a practice, then selling to a corporation and making around 90-100k within 10 years. I mean, maybe that's possible....they came up with that plan somehow. I think a lot of prevets are just so stuck on the light at the end of the tunnel for such long periods of time (10-15 years for some), that they forget about the other parts of life....finances, having a family, etc.

Also, I am extremely glad that you found out about your depression. I think that is one of the biggest things that can quietly drag a person down. Congrats, really.
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I guess I'm just used to being on SDN where we regularly beat that horse so I sort of assume that most applicants know about the debt:salary situation. I was actually talking to a vet the other day about the fact that vet school debt is so bad now that many graduates just cannot afford to buy out practices like was traditionally done a lot in the past. That conversation got depressing really quickly, let me tell you. The AVMA's lack of action (from what I've seen and read and heard, anyway) is a little off-putting, too.

Thank you very much. Actually, I'm no longer on any sort of treatment for my depression. For the most part, it's been pretty under control for the past few years even without medication. I know my tone in these past few posts has been rather sobering, but I can honestly say I've never been happier with myself than I am right now. I go to a relatively small undergrad, so almost all of the biology and chemistry professors know me well and have told me that they really think that my tenacity will get me far in my future, even if vet school isn't ultimately where I wind up. My adviser is constantly reminding me of how far I've come and she really does think that I've not only become a better student the past four years, but a better person, too. The modest realist in me makes me just sort of deflects the compliments, but I'm so incredibly grateful to have such an awesome support system here.

When the surgeon calls up and asks you to call in the anesthesia tech and OR tech for an ER surgery, and you ask "Just the technicians?" because usually we are calling the students in too, and they say "Yes, just the technicians, the student's already here." And when you call back to tell them the ETAs for the techs, they don't say, what about the student? which sort of confirms that you called the right people. Then an hour later after everyone's arrived one of the techs calls up and asks if you'd heard anything from the surgery student since they're not here yet. Um, no, because I was told I only needed to call the techs! Then we get a sassy "You're supposed to call the students in at the same time." Was I supposed to read the surgeon's mind that when he said the student was already here, he meant the anesthesia student, and that I still needed to call the surgery student, even though I asked to confirm that he just wanted the techs so as to avoid this specific situation? :annoyed:

When the surgeon calls up and asks you to call in the anesthesia tech and OR tech for an ER surgery, and you ask "Just the technicians?" because usually we are calling the students in too, and they say "Yes, just the technicians, the student's already here." And when you call back to tell them the ETAs for the techs, they don't say, what about the student? which sort of confirms that you called the right people. Then an hour later after everyone's arrived one of the techs calls up and asks if you'd heard anything from the surgery student since they're not here yet. Um, no, because I was told I only needed to call the techs! Then we get a sassy "You're supposed to call the students in at the same time." Was I supposed to read the surgeon's mind that when he said the student was already here, he meant the anesthesia student, and that I still needed to call the surgery student, even though I asked to confirm that he just wanted the techs so as to avoid this specific situation? :annoyed:
awesome. also, if anything, you'd expect the surgery student to be the one there since you were talking to the surgeon and not the anesthesiologist...

guess how many times my roommate let her dog jump on the counters while i was making food for dinner (crockpot)...

if you guessed more than 10 times without any discipline, you can get yourself a cookie! otherwise, better luck next time. 10 more weeks...

Phone call from back home: my riding coach's arena roof collapsed under all the snow. Luckily, no one (horse or human) was harmed, but still, **** you winter. Go away now. You've overstayed your welcome. We don't want you anymore.

Trying to figure out whether it is more cost effective to rent an unfurnished apartment and rent furniture separately, or rent a furnished apartment. It's certainly less of a headache to do the latter. My brain doesn't like me very much right now.

Trying to figure out whether it is more cost effective to rent an unfurnished apartment and rent furniture separately, or rent a furnished apartment. It's certainly less of a headache to do the latter. My brain doesn't like me very much right now.
Why not try and buys some cheap furniture the first week you move-in? Start-up cost may be higher, but unfurnished apartments are cheaper. And if you're thinking Rent-A-Center, they're not that forgiving if something goes wrong somewhere down the road.

I'd suggest getting furniture from goodwill or a similar donation center. Long run, it'll be much cheaper. I'm not sure about how much rent-a-center costs, but the cost of buying the furniture used would probably make up for itself very quickly. Yeah, the furniture will be old and not match, but it's probably the most cost-effective. The difference between furnished/unfurnished apartments depends on your area, but in four years you'll probably spend more money than you would buying your own furniture. Plus, you can take it with you when you move, whether you get a job or an internship after vet school.

Why not try and buys some cheap furniture the first week you move-in? Start-up cost may be higher, but unfurnished apartments are cheaper. And if you're thinking Rent-A-Center, they're not that forgiving if something goes wrong somewhere down the road.
I'd suggest getting furniture from goodwill or a similar donation center. Long run, it'll be much cheaper. I'm not sure about how much rent-a-center costs, but the cost of buying the furniture used would probably make up for itself very quickly. Yeah, the furniture will be old and not match, but it's probably the most cost-effective. The difference between furnished/unfurnished apartments depends on your area, but in four years you'll probably spend more money than you would buying your own furniture. Plus, you can take it with you when you move, whether you get a job or an internship after vet school.
Good points. It's really the initial cost that gets me, which is silly I know, but there are already so many other things that I'm going to be shelling out money for (I also have to get a car this summer...yay).
If I can find a furnished place that's close to the price of the unfurnished that would be great, otherwise I guess buying furniture does make the most sense.

Good points. It's really the initial cost that gets me, which is silly I know, but there are already so many other things that I'm going to be shelling out money for (I also have to get a car this summer...yay).
If I can find a furnished place that's close to the price of the unfurnished that would be great, otherwise I guess buying furniture does make the most sense.
Definitely look into Goodwills, or even stalk any free and for sale pages at the university. I know at the end of each term there's a ton of people on Purdue's pages looking to get rid of stuff since they're moving/graduating whatever. I've also been able to pick up some choice pieces in dumpsters, like lamps, nice computer chairs, etc.

i know many of my classmates found furniture for extremely cheap when heading off to 4th year. look around for second hand stores too (and i got a desk and table for my guinea pig for free sitting next to my complex's dumpster)

Have an inflatable mattress and sheets ready so that you won't be left without that important piece of furniture, nd then scour and collect furniture as you can. Always check for signs of gross things (bedbugs) but I have bought furniture on Craigslist before and have done great with it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

Yeah, I just got some cheap furniture...

2 Small tables from Walmart (one as a nightstand and one to place next to the "couch")... $15 each. I have a card table and four fold-up chairs as my "dining room table".. :laugh: But it is cheap and works for what I need it for right now.

I found a cheap futon that I use as my couch at Target.

I found a desk and a computer chair at goodwill... total for both: $30.

Oh and found a dresser on sale at Walmart that ended up being only $25.

The only thing I spent a decent amount of money on was a bed... and I am very glad that I did.. even then a cheap bed frame, and pillow-top queen-sized mattress cost under $500 and came with a few really nice pillows.. I think total was $300-something. You just have to look around.

a girl on my FB newsfeed is in a distance LVT program. as part of her program, she had to send videos demonstrating medical care and handling of pocket pets (such as giving injections, drawing blood, etc). she didnt know anyone with rats or mice, so she went to the pet store today and bought some to use in her videos. then she returned them. this makes me angry, seems like a blatant disregard for animal welfare. its not like drawing blood and giving injections are completely benign procedures, and theres a lot of stress involved in transporting these creatures all over and then playing with them like pincushions.

a girl on my FB newsfeed is in a distance LVT program. as part of her program, she had to send videos demonstrating medical care and handling of pocket pets (such as giving injections, drawing blood, etc). she didnt know anyone with rats or mice, so she went to the pet store today and bought some to use in her videos. then she returned them. this makes me angry, seems like a blatant disregard for animal welfare. its not like drawing blood and giving injections are completely benign procedures, and theres a lot of stress involved in transporting these creatures all over and then playing with them like pincushions.
is this program in FL by any chance?

I called the cops on my coworker because she has been getting drunk at work. I felt she did it yesterday and then drove home (in the snow/crappy roads). The cops went to her house because she has a record. They couldn't get anything on her but she's sure I called them on her and she's pissed. I don't really regret it and I'd do it again. Though I'm not looking forward to working with her tomorrow. I just hope she stops drinking at work now.

http://www.themiafoundation.com/

this lady is a horrible monster (actually shes a combination of a ton of words that are against SDN terms). people like this make me sick. check out "Niles" on their facebook page - this pet is currently one of my good friend's patients in ICU. this lady is deluded and disgusting. this dog has a list of 30+ problems and defects, and it is slowly dying an agonizing death because she wants to be a "hero."

Maybe neither here nor there, but I'd call the student no matter what the surgeon says. The on-call surgeon may be on the non-student surgery side and may not really know who the student is. They may see the anesthesia student and get confused about the surgery student being there. Worst case, you call a student who is already in the building. Best case, you save a student from maybe having to repeat the rotation. You'd LIKE to think they'd be reasonable once they find out the student never got called, but....... if there's one thing I've learned in fourth year it's that 'reason' isn't always a major player.

And, you know, it's CRITICAL that the 4th year student is there. If we're not, they might actually have to use Doyens instead of Fourth-Year Fingers ... or actually cut their own suture tails (gasp).

Reactions: 1 users

this lady is a horrible monster (actually shes a combination of a ton of words that are against SDN terms). people like this make me sick. check out "Niles" on their facebook page - this pet is currently one of my good friend's patients in ICU. this lady is deluded and disgusting. this dog has a list of 30+ problems and defects, and it is slowly dying an agonizing death because she wants to be a "hero."
I shouldn't have looked. It's just making me angry.

This is just... so disgusting. Ugh.

Meanwhile, people in the comments are hailing her as a "hero" and claiming they're praying for her and the dog. Not one person has said that maybe she needs to rethink her decision to follow with treatment with such a massive plethora of very severe health problems, especially when the dog is clearly in so much pain.

I feel so badly for your friend having to deal with this, @jmo1012. It just has to be beyond frustrating.

My university just screwed over some dedicated and talented students by cutting a minor due to "budget issues" despite the fact that all the classes offered are classes that also count for other existing majors and minors. Some of them have already completed all the required coursework or are one course short, but probably could not be awarded the minor anyway if the program is cut (important, since the university REQUIRES a minor for graduation).

And on top of that, they might cut an entire major. I have a friend who is involved in the entire situation who may not be able to graduate at all, ever if this happens. On top of it I'm really good friends with the people in charge of the program who fought tooth and nail to keep this program afloat. They're devastated right now.

I know we're devastated by the lack of state support right now. I know there's only so many cuts that can be made before the university population feels it. But there's so many programs that could probably be scaled back (not cut) that would be more effective than these measures.

I'm so angry that my friend, in the brunt of this, might not be able to help herself if this decision goes through. She's worked so hard to get through the multiple adversities in her life to be here. And there's little to nothing I can do to help the situation.

Edit: thankfully, my friend and others enrolled will be allowed to complete their programs and will be awarded degrees. Doesn't help that my friend had to hear this while she was sobbing about whether or not she'd be able to graduate in a meeting with her advisor. I'm still pissed about the choice of cutting the minor. That decision was clearly made without the understanding that the minor took up zero resources. I'm just more sad than mad that education is in such a bad state...

Last edited:

this is what true scum of the earth looks like. someone who exploits animals for personal gain (attention, finances) and allows them to suffer. she belongs in a psychiatric ward if she truly doesnt believe the dog is suffering, because shes a sociopath. licking you doesnt mean hes not half dead lady, thats called being a DOG. your dog IS very critical. it has multiple unfixable congenital defects. it has multiple secondary, life threatening complications associated with those defects. your dog IS suffering. its tissues are slowly dying off because of primary and secondary disorders. you are a mean, wicked, evil, horrible, sociopathic witch who deserves a lot of unmentionable things in life. you are clearly feeding off of the publicity and attention you are getting from your deluded followers. you are killing thousands of healthy animals by spending resources on animals that are suffering and arent meant to live. you are falsely giving people reason to think that veterinarians, who put everything they have into every case, are terrible people.

i am so very angry about this. i know its not worth the energy. i hope that if and when i come across someone like this in my career, i am able to show them the door (because i'm allowed to, not because i dont have the guts).

i am so very angry about this. i know its not worth the energy. i hope that if and when i come across someone like this in my career, i am able to show them the door (because i'm allowed to, not because i dont have the guts).

We had a client like that. Every one of her dogs suffered a long drawn out death because she refused to euthanize. Often the dogs were in the hospital on fluids just ugh, it was sad. I wish you could show them the door, because I would have but that really isn't fair to the dog then either... just sending them off to another clinic or to die at home without benefit of pain meds at least.

Today. Just ugh.

started with my tech asking why he was being told how to do his job...ended with a 5 pet room showing up 5 minutes to close. Just all around stellar

Guise. I still have an hour left in the lab tonight. As my membranes are doing their thang, I am sitting in the dark trying to figure out USDA rules and regulations on animal welfare topics for homework that is due Thurs. I haven't started looking at material for a test on Friday. Why have I done this to myself is the question that keeps popping up.
OPfgW4J.gif

Thanks for waiting until the last minute to cancel. Glad I drug my butt to campus for one class today...

I usually like snow days. But with our shortened semester, 3 days over the past 10 days is making me not like them.

So much to do, so much to make up.